Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sindai posted:

Doming hulks with the AMR is so satisfying. :synpa:

What's the best weapon for dealing with berserker packs? It's so much easier dealing with 1 hulk than 4-6 berserkers.

Breaker at waist level / Dominator or slugger aiming for the head and liberal use of impact grenades if it's a stack of 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Infidelicious posted:

Breaker at waist level / Dominator or slugger aiming for the head and liberal use of impact grenades if it's a stack of 6.

Yep this is where I spam impact grenades. That's the time to use them.

It's like the only situation that makes me automatically start throwing all the grenades.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

Redeemer at waist level also works surprisingly well as a panic "oh poo poo they're right on top of me!" option if you're using a DMR or something as your primary.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, my single biggest issue with every other strong anti-armor option is that they absolutely destroy your mobility at some (usually multiple) points in the aim->fire->reload cycle. Meanwhile, the worst that the Railgun does is slow you down to just a walk while charging and that's it, and since it's single shot and rifle-esque the walk is still pretty loving accurate and only for a moment. The only other option that remotely compares to the mobility you keep is the EAT and it has a cavalcade of its own sins to worry about.

EAT falling behind reminds me how it feels like it has a delay on the "press 3 to switch to it" and "fire the loving rocket holy poo poo I am mashing the button" even if you ignore the aim lag in 3rd person. Which made every time I nail my target with it increasingly cathartic.

Recoilless is a bastard to work with between shots, but I can press 3 then 180 no-scope in 3rd person a dropship out of the sky, in the time it takes the EAT (that cooldown debuffs and randomizers have driven me to abandon more than enemy spam) to remember "Oh! Right! I should switch to 1st person huh? Or actually fire."

This delay may be the reason my top case of the wacky "Holding my hands in front of me with no gun" bug is having to switch back to my primary in a hurry from the EAT. A bug which has stopped happening to me, since I stopped using the eat.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1762417232993452122?t=d0sLomsJZyITz0hGuFQN5Q&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

patch 1.13 just dropped

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I feel we're losing a lot for the armour value issue

Tried out the plasma gun. While shooting little bugs I was thinking "this is like a Breaker but more dangerous to me and my team" except the Breaker fires faster and has more ammo. The explosive trait almost never helps. Like, I can shoot nursing spewers in the abdomen. But it's faster to kill them by shooting them in the face than the abdomen so I might as well be using a shotgun or railgun. Bile spewers? There's too much armour, use a railgun. It's slightly better at shooting medium size bugs at range but is absolutely worse at hive commanders. And I feel I need a support pack to feed it.

Haven't tried it against bots yet! It's accurate with a little splash so maybe it's useful at shooting devastator faces. But I don't think explosive helps against robots?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Oneiros posted:

i feel like the slugger should do a liiiiiiittle bit more damage to make up for the slow rof and limited ammo but man advancing on a brood commander who you are physically driving back with every slug feels amazing
I saw a slugger tutorial on YouTube and if you reload after every shot it's supposed to fire faster and with less recoil than spamming.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I thought maybe they changed cash shop suit stats because from that old reddit post it had higher armor rating...

EDIT: oopsie it is, because I forgot I was wearing the literal only helmet that reduces your armor in exchange for speed :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 28, 2024

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

It's too late. I am outraged

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If I'm hosting a squad and I want to leave that squad, is there any way I can do that without just kicking all the members?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mainwaring posted:

If I'm hosting a squad and I want to leave that squad, is there any way I can do that without just kicking all the members?

Start a mission and leave after you've helldropped onto the planet, and it'll seamlessly make someone else the host instead of kicking everyone to the ship.

bandaid.friend posted:

I feel we're losing a lot for the armour value issue

Huh? Did I miss something? Patch didnt change anything about armor did it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just did three with pubbies. It was a very good time. Railgun and shields meta failed our team because the handicap was one less slot.

I actively took only eagles knowing we'd be hard up for killing power and I was right. We were overcome at extraction by like a hundred terminators, four tanks and more hulks than I could clock. The team couldn't shoot them all and I spent it all before we could kill everything. It was a glorious victory as I was mown down by a wall of lasers trying to last man it to the drop ship with our booty.

In any case the helldivers at Malevelon Creek are all on the job. I have made it my life's mission to retake the creek. Godspeed helldivers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

high level find the bug hole missions before the time runs out totally suck, just cannot find all these fuckers. what a waste

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

high level find the bug hole missions before the time runs out totally suck, just cannot find all these fuckers. what a waste

while i think the "never stand and fight, always be moving" peeps can take it a little too far the blitz missions really do want that. also a good case for splitting into pairs or even solos if people are properly geared to explode bug holes on the move (grenade launcher and autocannon are invaluable here). scrutinizing the map at the start also helps, hives tend to have recognizable features in the terrain

remember, as far as mission success goes the only thing that matters is you blow every hole you come across. you don't have the time to scour the map for collectables and sub objectives, just hit everything you can as fast as you can and then get the hell out or die trying

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i love the airburst stratagem for blitz because it annihilates all the little bugs in a nest and any reinforcements that crawl out of the holes. anything leftover you can either ignore or deal with swiftly and then run a lap exploding all the holes

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Fishstick posted:

Huh? Did I miss something? Patch didnt change anything about armor did it?

I'm just expressing regret this portion of the game hasn't been there

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I had one of those with literally zero visibility, at night, heavy fog, multiple spore spewers, plus the effect that obscures the map, with only two of us at level 7 difficulty.

We somehow finished with zeroes on the clock but it was maybe the hardest mission I've ever done.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I had one of those with literally zero visibility, at night, heavy fog, multiple spore spewers, plus the effect that obscures the map, with only two of us at level 7 difficulty.

We somehow finished with zeroes on the clock but it was maybe the hardest mission I've ever done.

Did this exact thing with a goon friend and same. It was very fun but also took a toll.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/_HEALTH_/status/1762643886520815794

i am not figuring out twitter embeds on this dead gay forum

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

JBP posted:

Just did three with pubbies. It was a very good time. Railgun and shields meta failed our team because the handicap was one less slot.

This is another thing people aren't taking into account; the railgun and shield combo is fully half of your strategem spots, two thirds with the AA condition! It had better be effective!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

This is another thing people aren't taking into account; the railgun and shield combo is fully half of your strategem spots, two thirds with the AA condition! It had better be effective!

so you only get nearly the best armor penetration, massive damage, and protection against slows and one-shot rockets, in a package that isn't even achievable with literally any other loadout in the game?

sounds terrible please buff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oneiros posted:

so you only get nearly the best armor penetration, massive damage, and protection against slows and one-shot rockets, in a package that isn't even achievable with literally any other loadout in the game?

It's not effective when three people take it on robots 8 with a slot handicap. The team can't kill fast enough because the jack of all trades gun needs to actually see the things it's shooting and the shield is worthless when forty things shoot it at once due to not being dead at the hands of incredible amounts of ordnance.

I personally never take the shield gen. It's just an expensive crutch when there are free crutches like rocks and craters that block damage. If something can't kill enemies, preferably in droves, it's worthless.

Also I can just pick these things up off the ground when a shield gen and railgun user dies immediately from hubris.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.ign.com/articles/helldivers-2-players-are-kicking-teammates-who-dont-have-meta-loadouts

quote:

One post on the Helldivers 2 Steam forum is gaining attention for declaring the need to “set the standard for 8+ missions.” “If they are using anything but the right Breaker gun, kick,” the post reads. “If they have worthless stratagems that are weak, kick. If they don’t have either Rail Gun or nade launcher, kick. Not using a shield, kick.

“We need to set a standard for high rank pug [pick up group] play. You can have your silly builds or weak guns on your own or friends’ time, but if you’re not using these things, you are trolling and should be kicked.”

“I'm not saying meta-build or nothing, I'm just saying the people who don't play on the helldive difficulty are the ones who seem to suggest others to not use the meta build,” suggested redditor . “Trust me, there's nothing fun about taking a shieldless, auto-cannon, liberator-penetrator loadout to helldive difficulty. Try that out one time and tell me you had fun.”

The virgin railgun user vs. the chad liberator-penetrator enjoyer

"No breaker, kick; no shield, kick" vs. "Hold my tea I'm taking this titan down with an arc thrower"
Only uses what a youtuber said vs. master of every weapon
Never pays attention to the team vs. always there to shoot a hunter off of you
Battlepass stealth armour vs. supercredit big boy heavy armour
Silently boards shuttle vs. [E] HUG
Farmed mortar exterminates until level 20 vs. earned level 15 through blood sweat and tears
Fights for medals, 10 year payout vs. joined corps out of patriotic duty and love of liberty
Hides behind forcefield vs. fearful robots can't hit them due to extreme firepower

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Half their strats filled with dead weight vs. four slots filled with high explosive

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Oneiros posted:

I want other things buffed rather than this nerfed, stop being disingenuous.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

I want other things buffed rather than this nerfed, stop being disingenuous.

i don't run railgun/shield, i find it boring as gently caress. there's some slight buffs i'd make to some support weapons (primaries are another mess) and overall enemy spawn balance but no a 20 shot weapon with some of the strongest armor penetration in the game, that can be reloaded on the move, and has obscene damage such that it can one or two shot the biggest bads in the game, that doesn't take a backpack slot is, in fact, loving overpowered.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Buffing everything to the level of the overpowered stuff is how warframe turned to poo poo

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

goddamn y'all still on about this

bandaid.friend posted:

Haven't tried it against bots yet! It's accurate with a little splash so maybe it's useful at shooting devastator faces. But I don't think explosive helps against robots?

Bots is where its actually good (extremely good in fact) and explosive works on everything with a weakpoint, regardless of enemy type, which is why the dominator can kill a tank faster than dedicated anti-armor weapons

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I actually think the railgun is meh against bots. It sucks versus tanks and an autocannon is better for rapidly exploding big bot faces.

Against bugs it is OP, but not due to the damage effectiveness of the weapon. It's the fact that chargers stop charging when it shoots them that makes it so strong. The biggest payoff is when a railgunner staggers a charger and it doesn't move out of a bombing run or similar.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah my anti bile-titan strat when I run railgun and we're mid-swarm is to toss a 500 at it and then shoot it in the face a bunch with the rail so it stays in one spot and the 500 domes it.

Like yeah sure if you have the time to line your shots up you can just two-tap it when it goes to barf on everyone but that's hard to do with six chargers coming at you

Helldive is fun btw

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Dandywalken posted:

Full damage vs Charger rear end, and you can remove the railgun from the game for all I care

I seem to recall the CEO tweeting that charger asses only take 10% damage from normal weapons, but 100% damage from explosive. Including the explosive Liberator from the paid warbond I believe, so you have 1 edge case where the breaker is worse than an assault rifle lol

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Oneiros posted:

i don't run railgun/shield, i find it boring as gently caress. there's some slight buffs i'd make to some support weapons (primaries are another mess) and overall enemy spawn balance but no a 20 shot weapon with some of the strongest armor penetration in the game, that can be reloaded on the move, and has obscene damage such that it can one or two shot the biggest bads in the game, that doesn't take a backpack slot is, in fact, loving overpowered.

I've already detailed several downsides.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Does the auto cannon count as an explosive weapon? Im still on baby difficulty usually but it's been fun to dive out of the way of a charger then autocannon mag dump it's rear end

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

I've already detailed several downsides.

was "you can actually wear a shield pack" supposed to be a downside?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The gold and black helmet and suit from the basic warbond looks so loving good

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Buffing everything to the level of the overpowered stuff is how warframe turned to poo poo

Warframe is currently better than it ever has been so this is a weird analogy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does the auto cannon count as an explosive weapon? Im still on baby difficulty usually but it's been fun to dive out of the way of a charger then autocannon mag dump it's rear end

Yes it does, it is just that autocannon quick kills are a combination of "Lucky pixel timing" to crack open a leg from behind, and "Overselling how strong it is against a not weak enough weak point" which is why you are still having to magdump and asking "So, this is explosive right?"

Even then, autocannon loving rules and I still end up bringing it more often than a railgun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 28, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The weapon balance discourse around this game has gotten so goddamn weird so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man this game is buggy, though I have 2 games where I didn't get back to the ship after alt f4ing.