Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

FeculentWizardTits posted:

The only way my balls are getting to space is if Los Locos kick them there

Ive lived my whole life ready to get an obscure Short Circuit 2 reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

How about a sci fi channel miniseries?

The biggest issue with DUNC before it even came out is the Sci-Fi series had already cast the perfect actor for the Baron. It didn't help that Denis's take on the Harkonnens is extremely bad and dumb.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

The biggest issue with DUNC before it even came out is the Sci-Fi series had already cast the perfect actor for the Baron. It didn't help that Denis's take on the Harkonnens is extremely bad and dumb.

go on

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlVEJ3Z8UMQ

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Everybody shut up

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34061

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's the town crier from HBO's Rome, isn't it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

That's the town crier from HBO's Rome, isn't it?

It is indeed. True Roman bread for true Romans.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

drat, the comparison to Command & Conquer cutscenes was really spot on

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dunc portrayal is better op. visual design and expression of skarsgard baron evokes a mood that is closer to the themes in the novel. the haughty delusions of grandeur comes through much more elegantly in the 2021 film. in fairness the scifi series worked with what they had and I feel like the kind of portrayal denis went with lends itself better to higher production values, without which it would be too comically self-serious.

lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

dunc portrayal is better op. visual design and expression of skarsgard baron evokes a mood that is closer to the themes in the novel. the haughty delusions of grandeur comes through much more elegantly in the 2021 film. in fairness the scifi series worked with what they had and I feel like the kind of portrayal denis went with lends itself better to higher production values, without which it would be too comically self-serious.

I like Skarsgard's portrayal but making them look like aliens was stupid and bad. Also saying the name wrong. If McNeice hadn't been in the Sci-Fi series he still would've been the first name that popped in my head for a Dune adaptation.

Yeah it rules.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't that basically what is going on now? I thought steroid use has been an open secret for everyone who could benefit from them for decades now. Every time there is a buff actor or sports person or wrestler or body builder everyone treats it as a forgone conclusion that they've been roided to hell and back. The only people who seem to give a drat anymore are the Olympics and even they seem to be more of an arms race than anything else, also lol Russia.

The big thing about steroids is that they reduce recovery time. If you're doing a physically strenuous job like wrestling, sports, etc. or trying to from zero to hero in six months for a role, especially if you're older, steroids can actually be the safer way to do it. You just can't over do it.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Emperor: Battle for Dune (2001) actually nailed the midpoint between "greenscreened C&C cutscene" and "haircut and eyebrow aesthetics of the David Lynch film" and somehow ends up with the best of both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6trPV80Jnag

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it rules.
:yeah:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Gripweed posted:

The big thing about steroids is that they reduce recovery time. If you're doing a physically strenuous job like wrestling, sports, etc. or trying to from zero to hero in six months for a role, especially if you're older, steroids can actually be the safer way to do it. You just can't over do it.

but Chris Pratt told me that he just "cut back on beer" and jogged a few times per week??!?!?!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

hot take: Jodorowsky's Dune would have sucked, just an egomaniac trying to cram every dumb idea he had without restraint

reading Dune 2 "spoilers" and don't know what most of it means, I saw the Lynch one and I feel like they (Lynch, the studio) stuffed the Part 2 material into the last 45min?

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

hot take: Jodorowsky's Dune would have sucked, just an egomaniac trying to cram every dumb idea he had without restraint

Yeah it would've been terrible the documentary was funny because I had no idea he wasn't actually adapting Dune just using it as dressing for his own insane story.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

reading Dune 2 "spoilers" and don't know what most of it means, I saw the Lynch one and I feel like they stuffed the Part 2 material into the last 45min?

Correct though in the Lynch Dune he turned the Weirding Way (super martial arts) into a goofy sonic weapon because I guess Lynch didn't want to put in kung fu fighting.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 28, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it would've been terrible the documentary was funny because I had no idea he wasn't actually adapting Dune just using it as dressing for his own insane story.

When it gets to the part where he compares adapting an existing work to raping someone I realized I was watching a crazy man.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sci-Fi channel Dune was pretty good even though they didn't know what 'elfin' meant

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Jodorowsky's Dune would have been the opening gag of Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie where they blow the money on a fake Johnny Depp and diamonds

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poisonpill posted:

but Chris Pratt told me that he just "cut back on beer" and jogged a few times per week??!?!?!

I think you're mistaking the extremely obvious joke that was used in Parks & Rec to explain why the character Andy was suddenly really fit with something the actual Chris Pratt said. Dude was very public on social media about the really strict dieting and exercise regimen he had to follow. (Yeah, he didn't mention the HGH that was probably a part of it, but of course if people take HGH but don't also have an intense exercise and diet regimen you end up looking like Elon Musk.)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankly between the shogun miniseries shaping up to be about 100 times better than expected, and tokyo vice 2 not making GBS threads the bed too badly yet, I didn't know it was even possible for white guy in japan enthusiasts to eat this good

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

chris pratt has been pricked in the butt more times than liberace

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Waltzing Along posted:

Oddly, the thing the fans want the most, that would make the biggest difference, they will not do. And that is use robot umpires to get near perfect strike zones all the time.
I don't want this at all and think it's a stupid idea. :colbert:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m watching strange brew on YouTube just letting you guys know

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

counterfeitsaint posted:

My extremely commonplace and uninteresting opinion about sports is the 30-45 minutes of actual game can sometimes be interesting, but it becomes an absolute slog when stretch over 3-4 hours of commercials and standing around and expert analysis. Everyone I've ever met who gives a drat about sports is older than me except one guy, and I'm getting old as poo poo. I have trouble seeing how this is going to last much longer.
Gambling.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m watching strange brew on YouTube just letting you guys know

Amazing movie.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Screened a 'Double' double JCVD feature last night. Results:
Double Impact (1991)
starring JCVD aaaand JCVD!
Kind of a stinker honestly. Total waste of Bolo Yeung. Skip it.

Double Team (1997)
Rodman doesn't show up until halfway through the movie and his hair dye inexplicably changes from scene to scene.
Fairly decent action because Hark Tsui is solid but wayyyy too many dutch angles. It's corny but it is just taking the piss out of american action movies of the era. Worth a watch.

In summation, not all JCVD is worth spending time on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

reading Dune 2 "spoilers" and don't know what most of it means, I saw the Lynch one and I feel like they (Lynch, the studio) stuffed the Part 2 material into the last 45min?

Yeah it’s part 2 of the first Dune book. And the third film that almost certainly will be made will presumably cover all of Dune Messiah, unless it also gets split into two parts which I doubt.

I hope we eventually get movies for Children of Dune and God-Emperor of Dune, even if Denis doesn’t make them, because they’re the most bugfuck crazy part of the whole series before it collapses under its own weight, but I also doubt that.

I’m sure the studio will definitely want to do so if these movies continue to do well, but I also can’t imagine some journeyman director being handed the worm-Leto II story and making something coherent or good out of it. More likely that they throw a bunch of money at it and it remains in development hell before quietly fading away.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Correct though in the Lynch Dune he turned the Weirding Way (super martial arts) into a goofy sonic weapon because I guess Lynch didn't want to put in kung fu fighting.

It reminded him too much of the Force and the Jedi, and it was already public knowledge that he’d turned down Lucas’ offer to work on the Star Wars sequels. By 1983/84 the industry was drowning in Star Wars knockoffs

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pig was so good. Went in expecting a lovely John Wick knock off, turns out to be a really genuine movie about men dealing with grief. Really rope a doped me.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I like Skarsgard's portrayal but making them look like aliens was stupid and bad. Also saying the name wrong. If McNeice hadn't been in the Sci-Fi series he still would've been the first name that popped in my head for a Dune adaptation.

Yeah it rules.

As opposed to how it's pronounced in the book?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

cueing reading system at work

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kingo Ligma posted:

Pretty much everyone else said it the other way until DUNC came out.

trilobite terror posted:

It reminded him too much of the Force and the Jedi, and it was already public knowledge that he’d turned down Lucas’ offer to work on the Star Wars sequels. By 1983/84 the industry was drowning in Star Wars knockoffs

That makes sense - not like Denis did anything interesting with it in part one which was my other complaint about the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrsTs2NFJEA

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Groovelord Neato posted:

What does this even mean????

Lynch and the miniseries?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kingo Ligma posted:

What does this even mean????

Lynch and the miniseries?

Audio books, adaptations, general readership. There were a bunch of posts on this forum when the first trailer dropped and Brolin said it that way. What the gently caress do you mean "what does this even mean" lmao

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

chris pratt has been pricked in the butt more times than liberace

grandpa, who's liberace?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm feeling marginally proud of myself for managing to finish the book between the two movies because none of my friends did.

Though I wonder if I can squeeze in Dune Messiah before I see the new one?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dune messiah is very short compared to dunes of dune, I feel like most people could get through it in a couple days

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
we now have an answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sorry to drag the thread down into Star Wars talk again but I was over with my brother's family the other day and Attack of the Clones was on, I feel I never noticed before how the entire basis for the Clone wars is almost unbelievably shallow and stupid and as if Lucas was trying to make the most dramatically inert conflict possible. Like the Separatists are just the most poorly thought out thing from a writing perspective.