Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

(Yes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

There are very problematic opinions among some observant Muslim communities, but those same opinions also exist within some observant Christian communities, and more to the point within Conservative party members as a group.

There's this real mindset amongst your middle, upper middle Tories that "people wanting to be stricter than us" in society is scary and a threat to "our" way of life but then "people wanting to be more permissive than us" in society is also scary and a threat to "our" way of life. You think that'd tip them off to self reflect a bit about what "our" way of life actually is but I guess having the money and the access to power helps cushion you from ever having to think that hard and it's telling that for all the bluster you've ever really seen them panic was when someone was threatening to even those things up a bit in 2019.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

still getting gems from Glasgow https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1762739767471714379

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/QWERTYu85876314/status/1762801207054061790

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sexy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Oompa Loompa lady speaks out:

https://twitter.com/jam_etc_art/status/1762645906560586053?t=ossJqTa45x40_hMm4MHQMw&s=19

Can't get Imgur or image upload to work at the moment, someone else will need to post it please.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I can't get enough of this wonka event thing, please keep posting the gems :lmao:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Microplastics posted:

I can't get enough of this wonka event thing, please keep posting the gems :lmao:

The grift continues

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Oompa loompa doompa-de-doo,

Oompa loompa doompa-de-dee,

I love her she's a hero

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smellmycheese posted:

The grift continues

Jesus Christ, the kids aren't affected by it, they just had a poo poo day out. They are probably more affected by seeing their parents have loving meltdowns over being so easily conned.

Not everything is traumatic.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can have empathy you know. It's free.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

PriorMarcus posted:

Jesus Christ, the kids aren't affected by it, they just had a poo poo day out. They are probably more affected by seeing their parents have loving meltdowns over being so easily conned.

Not everything is traumatic.

I know right? Honestly if I was there with my kid I'd be a little upset at the wasted money sure, but I'd still be enjoying just how poo poo it was

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skeletome posted:

Oompa loompa doompa-de-doo,

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Skeletome posted:

Please tell me this will fit the thread title.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is the same guy running that gofundme

Nm that's what you just said

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Aaron Bushnell.
Total respect.

If you want to read the individual images more closely:

source: x DOTcom/karaokecomputer/status/1762761898205049218

Willy Wonka chat:
I feel it could be a good learning experience for kids - don't believe everything you see on the interwebs! They're going to be growing up in the AI world.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Two puff pieces in the mail today about how great Kate and Wills marriage is.

He's definitely killed her.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

oh god some poor bugger actually had to read that script and pretend it made sense

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Aaron Bushnell.
Total respect.

If you want to read the individual images more closely:

source: x DOTcom/karaokecomputer/status/1762761898205049218

Of all the ways to post tweets in the thread, this is probably the most frustrating.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Someone has created a GoFundMe which is definitely really going to put on a new event for the kids for £5k & isn't just rinsing the most gullible people on the internet. You're allowed to suggest the wording of the campaign is emotionally manipulative & is completely open to mockery.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Affected by' and 'traumatised' are not the same thing and it's pretty disingenuous to start throwing the word trauma around to make a weird point about how kids need to learn to toughen up, these days.

It's possible to think that it might be nice to do something nice for some kids who were let down for gently caress's sake.

If the joke is that it's the same guy running both, then it doesn't say that anywhere on the image.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The wonderful thing about kids is that virtually anything new or novel is really exciting for them just by virtue of it being something out of the ordinary. Admittedly, this event really is setting a new low for what its delivered, but the grownups will definitely be more traumatised than the children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
By the sounds of it he's a serial scammer who ran a fraudulent foodbank/'medical centre' for years by scamming grants and donations to fix the supposed issues that the previous grants and donations had caused, and unfortunately going after the victims of a scam by pretending you can help and then scamming them is one of the oldest tricks, the 'sucker list'.

If all the families want to meet up and do something nice or just vent then that's one thing, but that gofundme is more likely than not a further scam.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean the "real" Wonka was pretty committed to disappointing and traumatizing kids so this was a pretty authentic experience?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

'Affected by' and 'traumatised' are not the same thing and it's pretty disingenuous to start throwing the word trauma around to make a weird point about how kids need to learn to toughen up, these days.

It's possible to think that it might be nice to do something nice for some kids who were let down for gently caress's sake.

If the joke is that it's the same guy running both, then it doesn't say that anywhere on the image.

Giving £5000 to children who had a crap day out is not a good use of £5000.

E: didn’t the real Wonka murder quite a few of the kids? If this had happened here I’d support the gofundme

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Giving £5000 to children who had a crap day out is not a good use of £5000.

I wish you'd told me this before I cancelled my MSF standing donation to focus on supporting the Wonka Survivors Fund

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Countdown til one of the Wonka Kids parents tries to build a spa

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Turn the shite wonka experience into the spa.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
What 'The Perfect Element' said.
Most of the time, if something goes wrong, the only way a young kid is going to know is because the adult they're with is freaking out.
Let it pass over you, like knowledge flows over Jacob Rees-Mogg's smooth smooth brain and the child will be mostly oblivious.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Fair play to the people who gamely improvised a script for a Universal Studios attraction with £10 worth of props and costumes. If I had to do something like that for my work I think I'd oompa loompa doompaty do myself in

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, from the parents perspective losing £40 quid for nothing is going to be a kick in the teeth, especially with the current cost of living crisis, and from the actors perspective having a scammy oval office commit wage theft is going to be poo poo, but from the child's perspective just going out and seeing something new is going to be a day out.

I remember most of the circuses and county fairs as a child promising amazing excitement and mostly being sad elephants and annoying clowns, the main difference is that the price was a quid.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
£40 is well worth it for being able to say "I was there" at what's rapidly becoming a historical event of note.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Duke Smoochem dev is surely working overtime right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Turn the shite wonka experience into the spa.
Holy poo poo, goon project.

poo poo warehouse in Essex. Captain Tom Experience. £90 per adult.

I'll bring a couple of potted plants for the Burma part.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1762813119242400011

I expected the percentage to be fairly high, but I didn't expect it to be that high... sigh....

Conservative party members specifically as opposed to voters are like about 100,000 absolute and complete nutters who thought PM Liz Truss was a good idea because lord knows we don't want the guy with a funny tinge, don't forget.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Honestly, just add a toilet and a medically-inadvisable supply of laxatives and you've accurately simulated Captain Tom's entire tour of duty in Burma.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

I'll do an amateurish (and rather disturbing) paper mache statue of Captain Tom to be placed at the entrance of the venue.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
new scam: set up a janky looking event with godawful AI adverts. thousands of parents come along hoping for a hilarious shitshow to post on social media and get refunded for. event is actually a marvellous entertainment experience that brings joy to all ages. parents outraged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the least surprising news ever, major house building firms are corrupt as gently caress and have probably formed a cartel to raise prices and lower quality.

quote:

The Competition and Markets Authority said it had uncovered evidence during a far-reaching study into housing market delivery that indicated some house builders may be sharing commercially sensitive information with their competitors.

It added that it was concerned that this could be influencing the build-out of sites and the prices of new homes.

quote:

Speculative Private Development: the report found another significant reason behind under delivery of homes are the limitations of private speculative development. The evidence shows that private developers produce houses at a rate at which they can be sold without needing to reduce their prices, rather than diversifying the types and numbers of homes they build to meet the needs of different communities – for example providing more affordable housing.

Land Banks: the CMA assessed over a million plots of land held by house builders and found the practice of banking land was more a symptom of the issues identified with the complex planning system and speculative private development, rather than it being a primary reason for the shortage of new homes.

Private Estate Management: the CMA found a growing trend by developers to build estates with privately managed public amenities – with 80% of new homes sold by the eleven biggest builders in 2021 to 2022 subject to estate management charges.

These charges are often high and unclear to homeowners. While the average charge was £350 – one-off, unplanned charges for significant repair work can cost thousands of pounds and cause considerable stress to homeowners. The report said many home owners were are unable to switch estate management providers, receive inadequate information upfront, and have to deal with shoddy work or unsatisfactory maintenance, and face unclear administration or management charges which can often make up 50% or more of the total bill.

Quality: housebuilders don’t have strong incentives to compete on quality and consumers have unclear routes of redress. Analysis also suggests that a growing number of home owners are reporting a higher number of snagging issues. The CMA’s consumer research and other evidence revealed that a substantial minority also experienced particularly serious problems with their new homes, such as collapsing staircases and ceilings.

Water wet, grass green, private enterprise most efficient method of allocating money to pockets.