Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Lamquin posted:

Does the campaign continue once I progress a bit in the Monoliths, or was killing the Snake Lady the end of the current content?

I know that the story is often secondary to most ARPGs players, but I tend to want to connect to some NPCs and/or Villains, and all I got was a whole one scene with the Immortal Emperor - and I'm still not sure who the "big bad" is or if there even is one. Alric-totally-not-the-Main-Character and Zerrick were fun for the chapter they showed up in, but they felt like too little too late. I really expected Elder Gaspar to play a much bigger role than he has so far.

Also, what was up with that Bird Platform flying sequence? Why make something so unique last for a minute at most!

Overall I feel the campaign so far has been a little bit of a let-down, but on the bright side it wasn't bad. I might get a better impression of it if I play it without the launch-week issues of very long loading screens and frequent disconnects.

That is the current end of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lamquin posted:

Also, what was up with that Bird Platform flying sequence? Why make something so unique last for a minute at most!

lol it was so funny

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zerrick shows up in multiple chapters :wink:

but yeah, the platform sequence is probably short because it was in the most recent update to the campaign and someone obviously brewed up some tech they wanted to jam in there to see how people liked it or didn't fully trust it. it's a great set piece.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gyoru posted:

Allie's loot filter is very good for the amount of exalts you get in CoF.

https://www.lastepochtools.com/loot-filters/view/0AKZbXob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RGTF4n5cQ

This is pretty good, once I get to the point where I'm getting flooded with purps in CoF I'll probably use it. Thanks for posting it!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy cow the crafting and itemization in this game are so good. Blizzard should be straight up embarrassed with what D4 is in comparison.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lamquin posted:

Does the campaign continue once I progress a bit in the Monoliths, or was killing the Snake Lady the end of the current content?

I know that the story is often secondary to most ARPGs players, but I tend to want to connect to some NPCs and/or Villains, and all I got was a whole one scene with the Immortal Emperor - and I'm still not sure who the "big bad" is or if there even is one.

From what I could tell of the story, Orobyss, the other creator deity aside from Eterra, is the "big bad". Or, at least, he's the one who all the void-corrupted people pray to, plus he's the one who's talking to you when you're going through the ruined Eterra temple and in certain cutscenes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Suburban Dad posted:

Holy cow the crafting and itemization in this game are so good. Blizzard should be straight up embarrassed with what D4 is in comparison.

It feels like what I hoped D4 would be, and what I've been missing ever since Marvel Heroes went under.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

nerox posted:

I also think you are doing yourself a disservice if you just use the lootfilter that a build guide gives you. It really helps to know why this item is being emphasized and recolored so at least read through your loot filters and see what they are doing.

The mechanical side of the loot filter probably has several dozen youtube guides written about it, but it's just a bunch of ordered conditionals so it wasn't really rocket surgery. The recoloring is nice for being noticed like ye olde diablo skylasers, but other than that it doesn't tell me much that I'll remember five echoes later when I look at my inventory.

I just use the one from a guide because I didn't sit down for hours and spreadsheet the build beforehand. My inventory is a mystery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah it's kind of insane how much better thought out every element of the game is compared to something that probably cost like $250 million to make.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Well, you see, one game was made to be fun to play and the other game was made to sell 65$ horse skins.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Another day, another completely new online issue.
Everything works well except when I need to return to town the game DCs or hangs, so I have to go back to main menu and then back into the game.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Well, I've played a melee Lich with no regard for defenses other than Leech the entire game and had a fun and easy time, but the party's over in the snake boss's second phase. Instantly deleted on each one of a dozen tries. Feels sort of rude really.

Time to either grind or find a way to stack up physical resist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xalidur posted:

Well, I've played a melee Lich with no regard for defenses other than Leech the entire game and had a fun and easy time, but the party's over in the snake boss's second phase. Instantly deleted on each one of a dozen tries. Feels sort of rude really.

Time to either grind or find a way to stack up physical resist.

Have you spent forge potential on your gear yet? If not, just stack whatever resistances you need.
You might be able to get away with just stacking health even, or preferably both.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah it's kind of insane how much better thought out every element of the game is compared to something that probably cost like $250 million to make.

When you play in the big leagues you get genius ideas like “actually players aren’t going to want a loot filter when they see how good our loot is”

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

And "people are gonna love all these conditional damage modifiers on gear"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just make it so that every piece of loot that drops is always 0.1% more powerful than the loot you have equipped, that way you won't need any loot filter or bother designing interesting loot.

Hire me Blizzard.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Have you spent forge potential on your gear yet? If not, just stack whatever resistances you need.
You might be able to get away with just stacking health even, or preferably both.

I think all of my gear has More Damage applied to it already, which is unfortunate now but was awesome right up to this moment! I'll check for any missing slots, and also go through my idols. Fortunately I've saved all of them no matter how lame, so I can probably throw together at least 30% and some HP just from there.

My HP is just over 600 and my physical resist is 0 before beginning this process.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

queeb posted:

And "people are gonna love all these conditional damage modifiers on gear"

D4 is extra funny because at least one person internally said "People hate just stacking crit/defense/elemental so we're going back to lots of random stats!" and then everyone hated it anyway. Also all their stats were just damage% wearing different hats.

For all their technical problems LE really nailed the mandatory compromise and that sticks out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
they allowed crit stacking and then decided the best thing to do was to nerf it into the ground before any other content came out, probably because whoever designed cold damage on tuesdays got their fee fees hurt that their favorite stat wasn't used very much

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

When you play in the big leagues you get genius ideas like “actually players aren’t going to want a loot filter when they see how good our loot is”

Is that a thing they actually said?

I hate that I can't tell.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I got my alt to monoliths last night and I am pretty disappointed that you have to go through and unlock the monos and empowered monos on every character. Seems like that should be an account-wide unlock.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The flip side is that the Blessings are per-character, so each one can be optimized.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Once I get to the Monoliths, is there any real point with continuing the campaign? I stopped in the Temple of Majelka zone.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
not really, killing the current final plot boss gets you a +1 bonus to every stat which is very whatever; pretty much the only reason to touch campaign stuff aside from checking off the chapters (or just for the sake of it) is if you're doing a CoF prophecy for drops that targets a campaign boss

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Once I get to the Monoliths, is there any real point with continuing the campaign? I stopped in the Temple of Majelka zone.

You have to either finish the campaign or do the dungeon skips to the end to get access to the two new factions that are this cycle's content (Trading or SSF loot buffs.) You can monolith your way to a higher level and then blast through the campaign later if you want though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The engaging pathos of the story.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boy, this game would be that much better if it was smoother on steam deck. Monos are perfectly bite sized for it, but the inventory management is eh, and having to connect to servers every time I wake it up would be annoying.

Oh well, I'm still pretty smitten at this point 15 hours in.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The plot seems very bleh but it’s an arpg so whatever. This may also be partly my fault because I’m playing with the sound off while watching The Sopranos.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Learned the hard way after entering my first empowered monolith that maybe I shouldn’t have shied away from shred armor levels ago. Was having a stressful 15 minutes wondering what changed all of a sudden.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Boy, this game would be that much better if it was smoother on steam deck. Monos are perfectly bite sized for it, but the inventory management is eh, and having to connect to servers every time I wake it up would be annoying.

Oh well, I'm still pretty smitten at this point 15 hours in.

Doing the monoliths with a controller is great and the control scheme is fine for picking up specific items relatively fast (probably even faster with a decently tuned loot filter).

However, the inventory can fill up rather fast after a few echoes and doing any actual item management with a controller is horrible and 10 times slower than with a mouse.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I haven't tried a controller (outside of trying on deck for a few minutes before deciding it wasn't quite there yet) tbh but it would be decent probably only playing while also at my desk with the kbm. But then I'd lose the numlock for most of my skills (I assume).

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

The flip side is that the Blessings are per-character, so each one can be optimized.

Thats a plus?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I rolled a falconer in offline while the servers were barfing and I don't know what it is, but it continues in the tradition of me disliking how rogues play in every game I've tried, with maybe an exception for BG3. Sorry, birb.

Rolled a spellblade for online now that things seem mostly stable and feeling much more at home.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mikojan posted:

Thats a plus?

... Yes?

I have "Throwing Damage Leeched as Life" from one Blessing. My Acid Flask Falconer loves it. Positively worthless for whatever character I make next.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

haven't been able to get that 4lp siphon ring I saw on sale yesterday for 10 million out of my head. just woke up dreaming about it.. .. and how I was just shy. sold as much as I could but then my favor was too low. grinded for a little bit .... and it was gone

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only thing I want them to implement, badly, is the catalogue for Uniques that PoE has.
I like collecting shiny things in these games and a catalogue like that makes it very convenient to collect and search for Uniques.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

The only thing I want them to implement, badly, is the catalogue for Uniques that PoE has.
I like collecting shiny things in these games and a catalogue like that makes it very convenient to collect and search for Uniques.

Is that a thing in PoE? I know they have the stash tabs for the Magic cards you can collect. Would definitely appreciate that style feature in every ARPG, because yea my specific flavor of brain worms means I have to pick up every single Set/Unique in case it's great for leveling an alt or just for funsies

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Is that a thing in PoE? I know they have the stash tabs for the Magic cards you can collect. Would definitely appreciate that style feature in every ARPG, because yea my specific flavor of brain worms means I have to pick up every single Set/Unique in case it's great for leveling an alt or just for funsies

https://youtu.be/PvJdB96efrY

I'd even be willing to pay a couple of bux for that.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

StarkRavingMad posted:

and what I've been missing ever since Marvel Heroes went under.

I've been on the fence for a while about this now, but this is the comment that sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

M. Night Skymall posted:

You have to either finish the campaign or do the dungeon skips to the end to get access to the two new factions that are this cycle's content (Trading or SSF loot buffs.) You can monolith your way to a higher level and then blast through the campaign later if you want though.

You don’t have to fully finish the campaign (kill snake lady) to get faction access, it opens up early in Act 9.