Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dean Phillips trying to find the silver lining in somehow coming in 4th place in a two-person race.

https://twitter.com/deanbphillips/status/1762658134080868518

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptgDy8TbCM

i am just thinking of this song when i think of dean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marianne Williamson's campaign that has been over for weeks ended up slightly beating Dean Phillips in the Michigan primary, so she is now unsuspending her campaign.

What will be different now compared to when it was suspended? Unclear.

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1762825059083645064

Lol I saw this, I thought she had been banned off Twitter and was announcing the return of her account.

Everyone is claiming that the result in Michigan vindicates their priors and confidently taking victory laps. I have no idea what the uncommitted vote means, but I do know that Trump is once again coming in at double-digit underperformance of his pre-primary polling results.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Everyone is claiming that the result in Michigan vindicates their priors and confidently taking victory laps. I have no idea what the uncommitted vote means, but I do know that Trump is once again coming in at double-digit underperformance of his pre-primary polling results.

To be fair, Trump's situation is the same as Obama's, Biden's, Romney's, etc. Primary results aren't indicative of GE performance. Most of the people who voted against Trump in the primary will still vote for him in the general, the primaries are only tiny fractions of actual voters, both sides are more or less uncontested so the only people coming out are diehard supporters and protest votes, etc.

Trump is going to pull way more than 60% of Republicans in Michigan in November. The polls have consistently overestimated his actual results in the primary, but it is also hard to model primary results when the race is more or less over.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://michiganadvance.com/2023/10/03/how-some-michigan-muslims-united-with-extremist-republicans-against-lgbtq-rights/ ill add that parts of the muslim american and arab american communities in michigan were already moving away from the dems before the horror show, mostly because social conservatism and have been in the last couple elections. gaza will probably accelerate some of that. that being said tlaib barely won last time but she will probably be fine this year.

Will conservative Muslim voters rally behind a Christian theocracy because “at least it’s a theocracy”? I think republicans may be thankfully hurting themselves a bit by tying their regressive policies so tightly to Christianity and not a vague “religious morals”.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

borkencode posted:

Will conservative Muslim voters rally behind a Christian theocracy because “at least it’s a theocracy”? I think republicans may be thankfully hurting themselves a bit by tying their regressive policies so tightly to Christianity and not a vague “religious morals”.

Arab and Muslim Americans were a Republican demographic prior to 2004. Bush won the Muslim and Arab-American vote in 2000. It was only after Republicans really ramped up the Islamophobia and anti-Arab sentiment post-9/11 that they started voting Democratic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

borkencode posted:

yeah. other articles said that alot of muslim and arab folks who joined up with the GOP basicaly got pushed to the back of the room and given low positions at best. the Michigan GOP is batshit insane and hardline trumpists and apperently the moms for liberty stuff has been imploding all over the country so who knows if that will have the same pull it does post trump. but yeah the GOP is super bigoted in general to pull in alot of socially conservative minorities. watching some of the various social right nutjobs on social media, their is a divide of "make allies with nonwhite/non chirstian conservatives to fight the perfidious homos" or "white chirstian power now and forever" types.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arab and Muslim Americans were a Republican demographic prior to 2004. Bush won the Muslim and Arab-American vote in 2000. It was only after Republicans really ramped up the Islamophobia and anti-Arab sentiment post-9/11 that they started voting Democratic.
Generally voters don’t take having their families bombed very well, yeah.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The majority of voters are not rational in any way, so trying to use reason to predict how certain groups will act is a pointless exercise. If people oppressed by republicans didn't vote republican, they wouldn't win any elections

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Generally voters don’t take having their families bombed very well, yeah.

It wasn't even bombing.

They turned against George Bush and Jeb Bush in October 2001 - before a single bomb had dropped and when W. had an 80+% approval rating among other demographic groups.

To be fair to Bush, he did try to tamp down the Islamophobia and Anti-Arab sentiment in the months after 9/11, but the Republican party in general had spent the last two months in overdrive and that was when they started to drift away.

quote:

U.S. Muslims—a strong, new presence on America’s political landscape—are unhappy with the Bush brothers—George W., the man they helped win the presidency last November, and Jeb, who seeks re-election next year as governor of Florida.

quote:

On election day [2000], Bush received 70 percent of the Muslim vote nationally and 90 percent in Florida.

quote:

Saeed, chairman of the American Muslim Alliance and chief architect of the bloc vote, is upbeat. "We did not expect overnight successes in Washington," he commented, "but we are confident of steady progress if we continue to work together. Muslims are in the political arena for the long haul. We are focusing our attention on next year's elections, which will decide the control of the next Congress, and on the 2004 presidential contest, especially in the battleground states where partisan margins are narrow."

https://www.wrmea.org/2001-october/george-jeb-and-the-muslim-vote-election-2002.html

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aztec Galactus posted:

The majority of voters are not rational in any way, so trying to use reason to predict how certain groups will act is a pointless exercise. If people oppressed by republicans didn't vote republican, they wouldn't win any elections

Polls show the majority of voters are poorly educated about public policy, but they aren't necessarily irrational. If you genuinely believe that life begins at conception or hate Mexicans to such a degree that it impacts your life, then it is totally rational to vote for the party that will do that and also cut your Medicaid if you value those things more. If Christ is lord and we need to get right with Jesus or we are going to hell, then obviously it is way more important and rational to focus on that than to give a poo poo about Medicare prescription drug reimbursement rates.

Same with all of the rich Democratic lawyers and doctors in NYC that vote overwhelmingly for the group that is more likely to raise their taxes because they care about social issues or guns. People are only irrational if you are assessing it from one specific angle.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Turnout is way up because it is a primary with 9 days of early in-person voting and universal vote by mail instead of a caucus.

This is the biggest factor in terms of the total number of votes. Michigan has a strong Secretary of State that has implemented a system to get the greatest number of voters voting as possible.

James Garfield posted:

I think success for the uncommitted campaign was more about getting journalists to report on it than actually winning votes. It was obviously never going to get enough votes to matter, but journalists did cover it so it was probably a success.

There were many precincts in Dearborn yesterday where the national media outnumbered the local media at a rate of 10 to 1, and outnumbered the actual voters themselves. This was a campaign designed to get national media attention, and it worked.

Main Paineframe posted:

If Biden is underperforming, my first concern would be that Biden's unprecedented pro-union moves haven't really won him much goodwill against a weirdly Trumpy union rank-and-file.

The union base is strongly behind Biden. The Trump voters are in management or not in union-backed jobs.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://michiganadvance.com/2023/10/03/how-some-michigan-muslims-united-with-extremist-republicans-against-lgbtq-rights/ ill add that parts of the muslim american and arab american communities in michigan were already moving away from the dems before the horror show, mostly because social conservatism and have been in the last couple elections. gaza will probably accelerate some of that. that being said tlaib barely won last time but she will probably be fine this year.

Hamtramck, the town within the city of Detroit, had a big conflict last year over pride flags in public places. Lots of Republican-leaning voters in practice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Eh, I'd argue plenty of voters are irrational, in that their votes absolutely don't line up with their values and knowledge, although they're irrational in the normal human "Using lovely heuristics in place of thinking things through because they don't like to actually think about things like that and have other poo poo going on in their life" and "saying and doing things in ways that they vibe with emotionally without any real thought as to what the consequences are likely to be" ways.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Main Paineframe posted:

a weirdly Trumpy union rank-and-file.

There's probably a love of tariffs in that crowd.

Also, the GOP has been doing better and better among people without a college education (especially with white people) while it's a mirror image for the Democrats. I forget the regular poster in this thread who pointed out that Michigan has a lot of important voting blocks that aren't college educated.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2022/midterm-election-house-districts-by-education/

I'm sorry for the Politico link. I'm having a hard time finding a better article about this point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Remember how they had that huge rush of Republicans coming out with public statements to assure everyone that they support IVF and would never attempt to ban it (despite voting for bills that ban it)?

Turns out that now that they have had some time to think about it, they still want you know that they absolutely support IVF as a concept, but are actually fine with banning it and will block any attempts to legalize it federally.

quote:

“IVF Sad” Republicans are Republicans who are discomfited by having to ban IVF or at least don’t want to get caught supporting banning IVF but also have to admit that they agree with the judge who banned it.

Marco Rubio, a Senator who is an emerging leader in the movement says: “Unfortunately, you have to create multiple embryos [with IVF], and some of those are not used, then you’re now in a quandary.”

Another movement supporter, Joni Ernst agrees: “I don’t want to say [the frozen embryos are] not children.”

Cynthia Loomis, who is from Wyoming, says she won’t support a federal law to keep IVF legal. She’s not giving up hope but suggests whiners don’t realize how hard it is to support IVF. “It’s gonna take some people who are really applying a lot of time and thought to this to figure it out.”

Movement leader Rubio suggests allowing each state to ban IVF may be the best way forward.

quote:

‘A Quandary’: Republicans Hesitant To Back Federal Protections For IVF

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans are struggling to respond to an extreme Alabama Supreme Court ruling effectively halting in vitro fertilization in the state as Democrats plan a new effort this week to protect access to IVF and other fertility treatments nationwide.

On the one hand, Republicans maintain that they support the continued use of IVF, calling it both pro-family and pro-life. But on the other hand, many in the GOP agree with the central premise of the ruling that found that frozen embryos are children with equal rights, a contradictory position that now has them on the defensive on an issue that is supported by over 80% of Americans, including a majority of Republicans.

“That’s really at the crux of the ethics of it,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) told reporters on Tuesday. “How do our laws recognize the dignity of human life but also understand that the procedure that it enables is a life-creating procedure?”

“No one has IVF to destroy life, they have IVF to create life,” he added. “Unfortunately, you have to create multiple embryos, and some of those are not used, then you’re now in a quandary.”

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) said she supported access to IVF. When asked if she considered frozen embryos children, she said, “I don’t want to say they’re not children.”

The Alabama Supreme Court released a decision earlier this month that grants embryos the same legal rights as children. The ruling set IVF patients and providers in the state into a tailspin, with three of the largest fertility clinics announcing that they paused IVF services to avoid legal risk in the wake of the decision.

“That’s really at the crux of the ethics of it,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) told reporters on Tuesday. “How do our laws recognize the dignity of human life but also understand that the procedure that it enables is a life-creating procedure?”

“No one has IVF to destroy life, they have IVF to create life,” he added. “Unfortunately, you have to create multiple embryos, and some of those are not used, then you’re now in a quandary.”

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) said she supported access to IVF. When asked if she considered frozen embryos children, she said, “I don’t want to say they’re not children.”

The Alabama Supreme Court released a decision earlier this month that grants embryos the same legal rights as children. The ruling set IVF patients and providers in the state into a tailspin, with three of the largest fertility clinics announcing that they paused IVF services to avoid legal risk in the wake of the decision.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) criticized Republicans during Duckworth’s Tuesday presser, pointing out that the repeal of Roe is what led to attacks on fertility treatments: “These Republicans are like the arsonist who set a house on fire and then said, ‘Why is it burning?’”

Duckworth tried to pass similar legislation in 2022 after the Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade, but her effort was blocked by Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.).

It’s not clear yet whether any Republican senator will object to Duckworth’s request this time around. Several GOP senators on Tuesday suggested that they were waiting to see how legislators in Alabama would address the situation before deciding whether to support Duckworth’s bill. Others said they didn’t know if federal protections are needed at all.

“Alabama will pass a law to protect IVF,” Sen. Katie Britt (R-Ala.) told reporters.

Sen. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) said “it could be justified to say that the rights of a child do not apply to an in vitro situation, that they would only apply in vivo,” but she declined to endorse the need for federal legislation to protect IVF.

“It’s gonna take some people who are really applying a lot of time and thought to this to figure it out ... but whatever is concluded, we desperately want to protect in vitro fertilization,” she insisted.

Rubio added that there ought to be “guidelines” to clarify the use of IVF “so that everyone feels there’s not any kind of uncertainty that would threaten the availability of these fertility treatments.” But he, too, said he wasn’t certain if that should happen at the state or the federal level.

The GOP has been twisting itself into knots in the wake of the Alabama court ruling. The presumptive 2024 GOP presidential nominee, Donald Trump, came out firmly in favor of IVF last week, calling on Alabama to pass legislation to protect it even though the ruling wouldn’t have been possible without his appointment of Supreme Court justices who struck down Roe, an accomplishment he brags about on the campaign trail.

In the House, more than 120 Republicans endorsed the Life at Conception Act, a bill that would have effectively nationalized the Alabama court ruling. Now, many of those lawmakers are attempting to moderate on the issue by voicing support for IVF.

“The Republicans are in a real bind because they have all this really extreme, right-wing fringe legislation that essentially prohibits IVF,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) told HuffPost. “They have totally failed to come to terms with their inconsistencies and sanity on this issue, and it’s now coming home and hitting them because their position is completely untenable.”

“They’re trying to duck and dodge every which way, but there’s no avoiding the basic inconsistency,” he added.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ivf-...62e28d5ba35f850

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden could at least try to ameliorate this issue by not supporting the extremely right wing government of Israel who in the past has openly campaigned on behalf of his 2024 opponent.
Is there evidence that the slight increase in uncommitted is actually due to Biden's support of Israel? It's my understanding that a large majority of both Democrats and Republicans support Israel, or that it is a non-issue when compared to stuff like grocery prices?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Remember how they had that huge rush of Republicans coming out with public statements to assure everyone that they support IVF and would never attempt to ban it (despite voting for bills that ban it)?

Turns out that now that they have had some time to think about it, they still want you know that they absolutely support IVF as a concept, but are actually fine with banning it and will block any attempts to legalize it federally.

yeah the GOP is stuck because a big vocal portion of the base WANTS an IVF ban and even beyond that and if the congriss critters dont bend the knee to that, then they can lose primaries. the obvious probablem is, this plays into the hands of the dems because unless they give a resounding "yeah we arnt banning IVF" then they will eat poo poo with scared moderates/suburbs/women,

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there evidence that the slight increase in uncommitted is actually due to Biden's support of Israel? It's my understanding that a large majority of both Democrats and Republicans support Israel, or that it is a non-issue when compared to stuff like grocery prices?

We don't have direct evidence, but most counties averaged about 10% uncommitted (basically the same as Obama in 2012).

The two that were much higher than average were the counties with Ann Arbor (young college students) and Dearborn (large Muslim population), which got 15-17%.

That seems to indicate that those counties had about 5-7% more uncommitted vote share than the baseline for the other counties.

Edit: And a ~15% vote share compared to a ~10% vote share is about a 50% relative increase in total vote share, so those would be statistically significant figures. It ended up not being a significant percentage of voters overall, but those two areas were disproportionately more inclined to be uncommitted and polls show that college students and Muslim voters are most likely to care about Gaza and have a negative opinion, so that seems to line up with the conclusion that it did have a statistically significant impact in those areas even if it wasn't a major impact statewide. It doesn't 100% prove it, but it is very likely.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 28, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

We don't have direct evidence, but most counties averaged about 10% non-committed (basically the same as Obama in 2012).

The two that were higher than average were the counties with Ann Arbor (young college students) and Dearborn (large Muslim population), which got 15-17%.

That seems to indicate that those counties had about 5-7% more uncommitted vote share than the baseline for the other counties.
That makes sense actually, thanks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

We don't have direct evidence, but most counties averaged about 10% non-committed (basically the same as Obama in 2012).

The two that were higher than average were the counties with Ann Arbor (young college students) and Dearborn (large Muslim population), which got 15-17%.

That's absolutely right. Certain counties had a small spike, and that's the best way to measure the impact.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Note that this is the culture warrior classic of no moral X but my x. They are absolutely dying to find a pivot to keep the true single issue anti abortion crowd going. Being anti IVF gets really deep into the theology of that. Otherwise it's -60 among their own base and only opposed by anti natalist and some fringe naturalists elsewhere. This is absolutely a move to cut off a primary attack from the right.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Eh, I'd argue plenty of voters are irrational, in that their votes absolutely don't line up with their values and knowledge, although they're irrational in the normal human "Using lovely heuristics in place of thinking things through because they don't like to actually think about things like that and have other poo poo going on in their life" and "saying and doing things in ways that they vibe with emotionally without any real thought as to what the consequences are likely to be" ways.

This might be splitting hairs, its more about prioritization. Voters will choose prioritize things that they think are important that we (I would say correctly) deem as not important. But they value the things they value.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Crows Turn Off posted:

A plurality of both Democrats and Independents disapprove of Israel's handling of the war and want more humanitarian aid to Gaza instead of military aid to Israel. In fact, most voters in general don't want the US to continue giving Israel military aid.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240223223833/https://pro.morningconsult.com/analysis/israel-hamas-polling-february-2024

None of this really matters though since much of the party is just doing whatever is necessary to keep Biden competitive with Trump. Biden is clearly continuing to pursue his current course of action because he just really loves Israel and he has no issues with taking down the party with him and letting Trump win. And the party can't exactly criticize him because he is the incumbent and is going to be the candidate and needs all the help he can get right now.

So you end up in this bizarre situation where most Dem politicians are way to the right of your average Dem voter on the issue because they have to support Genocide Joe or else Trump wins. A majority of even Republicans ("At the same time, roughly 3 in 5 voters — including 70% of Democrats, 55% of independents and 51% of Republicans — continue to express support for a cease-fire, similar to the levels of support captured last month.") want a ceasefire while tons of Dem politicians absolutely refuse to say the word.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 28, 2024

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I followed 2016 here and saw lots of confident predictions about how various demos would vote with comparisons to previous elections. The confidence of some folk's predictions is giving me feelings reminiscent of those times and I think we should use as much caution as possible here.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

koolkal posted:

A plurality of both Democrats and Independents disapprove of Israel's handling of the war and want more humanitarian aid to Gaza instead of military aid to Israel. In fact, most voters in general don't want the US to continue giving Israel military aid.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240223223833/https://pro.morningconsult.com/analysis/israel-hamas-polling-february-2024

None of this really matters though since much of the party is just doing whatever is necessary to keep Biden competitive with Trump. Biden is clearly continuing to pursue his current course of action because he just really loves Israel and he has no issues with taking down the party with him and letting Trump win. And the party can't exactly criticize him because he is the incumbent and is going to be the candidate and needs all the help he can get right now.

So you end up in this bizarre situation where most Dem politicians are way to the right of your average Dem voter on the issue because they have to support Genocide Joe or else Trump wins. A majority of even Republicans ("At the same time, roughly 3 in 5 voters — including 70% of Democrats, 55% of independents and 51% of Republicans — continue to express support for a cease-fire, similar to the levels of support captured last month.") want a ceasefire while tons of Dem politicians absolutely refuse to say the word.

Biden's openly pushing for a humanitarian ceasefire. He's just doing it through private direct negotiations with Israel and Hamas, rather than public posturing.

Additionally, of the 69 members of Congress who've explicitly called for a ceasefire, literally every single one of them is a Democrat.

You can be disappointed that Biden isn't exerting as much pressure as you'd like for a ceasefire, and you can be disappointed that not as many Democrats as you'd hope have endorsed a ceasefire, but maybe dial down the hyperbole a little bit.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden's openly pushing for a humanitarian ceasefire. He's just doing it through private direct negotiations with Israel and Hamas, rather than public posturing.

Additionally, of the 69 members of Congress who've explicitly called for a ceasefire, literally every single one of them is a Democrat.

You can be disappointed that Biden isn't exerting as much pressure as you'd like for a ceasefire, and you can be disappointed that not as many Democrats as you'd hope have endorsed a ceasefire, but maybe dial down the hyperbole a little bit.

There are 212 House members and 51 Senate members. 69 / (212 + 51) = 26% vs. 70% of Dem voters. That is absolutely insane.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

koolkal posted:

And heres a poll that says mostly the opposite

https://twitter.com/DSchwammenthal/status/1762560219270300049?t=jSVK0zHN53psJPLu2lVpyw&s=19

can we just ban pollsters already

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And heres a poll that says mostly the opposite

https://twitter.com/DSchwammenthal/status/1762560219270300049?t=jSVK0zHN53psJPLu2lVpyw&s=19

can we just ban pollsters already

An independent poll is far different than a poll from the Director of the AJCTAI. When you're polling whether voters support Israel or Hamas, it's not a great poll. You're simply muddying the waters and trying to claim all polling is bad by using an incredibly partisan poll.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

This narrative is a little old, though. Most of the things you are saying haven't happened have actually happened in the last month.

Additionally, the polling is also conflicted on this. People want a ceasefire, but they also don't want Israel to stop until "Hamas is destroyed" and only 31% says we are supporting Israel "too much" in the most recent Yougov poll.

It also doesn't seem to be translating into votes either. In a basically uncontested and meaningless primary vote where "throwing your vote away" has no cost, the potential protest vote was only about 2% higher than the baseline for 2012.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1762854398424699190

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
On the one hand that makes sense, on the other hand Bad Nate is a nimrod and almost always wrong (since 2008)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tatsuta Age posted:

On the one hand that makes sense, on the other hand Bad Nate is a nimrod and almost always wrong (since 2008)

Nate is almost always wrong about punditry. His numbers and analysis are still good.

People called him crazy for giving Trump a 35% chance to win in 2016 when everyone else had it at 1%.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nate is almost always wrong about punditry. His numbers and analysis are still good.

People called him crazy for giving Trump a 35% chance to win in 2016 when everyone else had it at 1%.

I think the "shoot the messenger" effect on that is a non-trivial part of why he ended up so specifically hated by people who were 100% rock certain Clinton was going to win, including and perhaps especially the subset of those that hated her.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Polls show the majority of voters are poorly educated about public policy, but they aren't necessarily irrational. If you genuinely believe that life begins at conception or hate Mexicans to such a degree that it impacts your life, then it is totally rational to vote for the party that will do that and also cut your Medicaid if you value those things more. If Christ is lord and we need to get right with Jesus or we are going to hell, then obviously it is way more important and rational to focus on that than to give a poo poo about Medicare prescription drug reimbursement rates.

Same with all of the rich Democratic lawyers and doctors in NYC that vote overwhelmingly for the group that is more likely to raise their taxes because they care about social issues or guns. People are only irrational if you are assessing it from one specific angle.

If hating minorities more than liking security is rational, then the word rational doesn't mean anything. If what you're trying to say is they rationally pursue irrational goals, then sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If hating minorities more than liking security is rational, then the word rational doesn't mean anything. If what you're trying to say is they rationally pursue irrational goals, then sure.

That is pretty much what I am saying. Acting rationally doesn't mean it is good, but if you legitimately believe that the country needs to get right with god or we're all going to hell, then it is 100% rational to make that your #1 priority above all else. It would be completely irrational to believe that and then not make it a major defining issue of your life.

If everyone was a completely rational actor based on economic and social status security, then no black people would vote Republicans, no wealthy people would vote Democrats, no secular people would vote Republican, and nobody who believes religion needs to play a big role in public life would vote for Democrats. But, all of those things do happen - quite a lot!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

koolkal posted:

An independent poll is far different than a poll from the Director of the AJCTAI. When you're polling whether voters support Israel or Hamas, it's not a great poll. You're simply muddying the waters and trying to claim all polling is bad by using an incredibly partisan poll.

The poll cited was not one from the Director of the AJCTAI, but instead was from Harvard-Harris, which is a regular polling outfit. You can read its questions and see that they aren't particularly partisan, and in fact the questions seem more sympathetic to Gaza in ways. For example, its question about supporting Israel's ground invasion gives the context of "If you knew that 1.7 million people were there and at significant risk of harm and death". And the invasion STILL got approval.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptgDy8TbCM

i am just thinking of this song when i think of dean.

I can't stop thinking about Howard Dean every time I read Dean Phillips name.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/howard-deans-famous-2004-scream-555744835521

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Nate is right. There's really no reason to fret over what ~100,000 voters are going to do in Michigan.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762486466922377529

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nervous posted:

I can't stop thinking about Howard Dean every time I read Dean Phillips name.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/howard-deans-famous-2004-scream-555744835521

The idea that doing a weird scream, getting your picture taken with a women who isn't your wife sitting on your lap, or plagiarizing a line from someone else's speech could disqualify you for the presidency is almost charming and quaint in 2024.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

B B posted:

Nate is right. There's really no reason to fret over what ~100,000 voters are going to do in Michigan.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762486466922377529

I'd be insanely shocked if all 100,000 of those uncommitted voted Trump or didn't vote Biden. Or even 1% of that 100,000.

As usual, polls aren't predictive this far out. Also: All of those are within the margin of error,

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

B B posted:

Correct.

That 2% above the baseline is not even close to ~100k voters, primary results have no predictive basis on GE performance (Trump is only going to get 65% of Republican votes in November!), and you are being very silly is you are attributing motive to 100% of the votes in a primary. Roughly 93% of the people who voted uncommitted in 2012 ended up voting for Obama (same with Trump in 2016).

You're also doing the very silly thing of using absolute vote totals. Trump got fewer votes when he won Michigan than George W. Bush did when he lost it. How is that possible if he got a bigger number?

Biden has real problems going into November, but those aren't really indicative of that. It just seems like people are trying to work in a pre-written narrative into the Michigan results when there are real problems out in the open that they are ignoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"Rationality" can only apply, by definition, to intermediate goals. All ultimate goals are irrational. Every single one of them. There isn't any way to rationally arrive at ultimate goals, that's just... how life works.

The definition of rationality you are trying to use here is, I think, incoherent. How would one go about setting ultimate goals and underlying values to be "rational" to begin with? Rationality can only be determined in relation to those things.

That said, a lot of voters are irrational specifically because they set intermediate goals that do not make a lick of sense in relation to their ultimate goals and values, for a whole host of reasons, but that's a different issue entirely.