Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait Globus is too expensive for the Swiss!? I've been interchangeably buying groceries there with the other supermarket chains and it doesn't feel significantly more expensive, other than maybe not having as many large sales

The Globus department store is not necessarily that expensive (although it has lots of high end brands too). It’s the grocery store in the basement of most - but not all - Globuses that is super expensive. Voss water and such.

As a day to day grocery store it’s definitely too expensive. Like to the point you will get a laugh if someone says "Migros or Coop kid?" (A pretty typical semi-joking question) and someone answers "no, Globus kid" it probably means they got chauffeured to school.

If someone says Aldi or Lidl kid, then you call child protective services and get their parents arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the confusion is because Globus is also a German chain of bog standard hypermarkets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
North and South Europe

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Sometimes when a thread talks about grocery chains I have a moment where I think people are just making up funny sounding words as a joke until I see one I recognise thrown in there

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

North and South Europe

This time the Sudetenland fortifications will hold!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Sometimes when a thread talks about grocery chains I have a moment where I think people are just making up funny sounding words as a joke until I see one I recognise thrown in there

Tarmo, Sesto, Elanto, Kukkura, Siwa, KKK Supermarket, Rimi, Cassa, Rabatti, Spar.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tarmo, Sesto, Elanto, Kukkura, Siwa, KKK Supermarket, Rimi, Cassa, Rabatti, Spar.

Excuse me?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some woman opened a diner near me that was named (and had signage in this format):

Katherine's
Kountry
Kitchen.

They changed it to:

Marybeth Katherine's
Kountry
Kitchen

about a month later.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Circle K is suspicious enough, kyklos klan?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dublish posted:

Excuse me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZee96IbI2U

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some woman opened a diner near me that was named (and had signage in this format):

Katherine's
Kountry
Kitchen.

They changed it to:

Marybeth Katherine's
Kountry
Kitchen

about a month later.

...Has spelling country properly not occurred to them?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

OddObserver posted:

...Has spelling country properly not occurred to them?

not hard(core) enough

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Stop, I am crying already. Markka, oh my beatiful markkas...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Cutesy American businesses and etsy stores REALLY love spelling "Country" with a K for some reason.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Circle K is suspicious enough, kyklos klan?

They did a thing where they had three flagpoles with their logo flags on them at each location. Then they quickly stopped doing that.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Mmm, American Dressing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The prices could be current.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Bulk Food Store
Cheese Store

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite grocery chain is ShopRite, which is not one chain but a cooperative of 50 different chains, all of which use the same name. Some are large, some are small. All are ShopRite. They even own a few stores themselves.

https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid/3000/meetourmembers

Look at all these different families, it's like Renaissance Italy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jeebus bob posted:

Danish Aldi was not nearly cheap enough to justify how crap they were and their direct competitors in the "vaguely German discount brands" (Lidl) - though a bit more expensive - was consistently a LOT nicer.
Yeah, Aldi was extremely German, and mostly in a bad way.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My favorite grocery chain is ShopRite, which is not one chain but a cooperative of 50 different chains, all of which use the same name. Some are large, some are small. All are ShopRite. They even own a few stores themselves.

it was pretty funny watching the founder/ceo or whatever eat poo poo in the mayoral contest

but then he also re-opened the upper darby location and its probably the best grocery store in delco rn so whose to say if he is good or bad

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I like ShopRite because it's the one grocery store that sells things labeled hot or medium here in Albany. I don't have to stock up on hot sauce monthly in Connecticut.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Well it's interesting because there can be a huge variation in Shoprites, layout, specific items, etc. because it's secretly dozens of different chains

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://youtu.be/_EQVxzkhpJ8?si=j1GMQuDK9TLucjl3

The best part about ShopRite

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Well it's interesting because there can be a huge variation in Shoprites, layout, specific items, etc. because it's secretly dozens of different chains

The ketchup aisle in the vineland nj shoprite is gigantic

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Shoprite is indeed inconsistent but pretty good. A lot of them are unionized which is cool.

In the NE, Wegmans has supplanted them as the “good grocery store” though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can't tell me how to shop right :colbert:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

soviet elsa posted:

Mmm, American Dressing

Made from the best Americans.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Letmebefrank posted:

Made from the best Americans.
I dunno, would probably be really fatty.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dunno, would probably be really fatty.

It's called marbling, get a palate.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the thing i heard that is almost certainly fake if you think about it for even a tiny span of time but i choose to believe is true is that one of the reasons that maneating tigers and lions are such a problem is that human meat has so much fat and salt and so on compared to animals you'd encounter in the wild that it's just way tastier and so once they start eating people they just can't stop. that and the fact that wendigos are real.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The way I always heard it presented was that humans are a garbage tier prey, but they are a viable alternative for predators who are too weak to hunt anything else, thus they become man-eaters.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

steinrokkan posted:

The way I always heard it presented was that humans are a garbage tier prey, but they are a viable alternative for predators who are too weak to hunt anything else, thus they become man-eaters.

i've heard yeah that maneaters start hunting people because they are too weak or sick to catch other prey

but why do they keep it up, that's where the "unexpectedly tasty" thing would come in

(it's, again, almost certainly horseshit)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially as most of the tales of people being eaten by lions or tigers were Asian indentured laborers being worked by Britain or French, and so wouldn't exactly be in the best health.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As they say, hunger is the best spice

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Wow, I had no idea. Are there other examples like this in other industries?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan posted:

I have read similar things, and also that most but not all man-eaters that are killed and examined are discovered to have some kind of health condition that makes it difficult for them to hunt their usual prey. Rotten teeth, for example, or a badly healed broken bone.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

EasilyConfused posted:

Wow, I had no idea. Are there other examples like this in other industries?

My liquor store works like that, albeit on a smaller scale. My boss owns a few stores but they're all under the umbrella brand owned by a liquor supplier who is in turn a co op of smaller liquor suppliers and importers it's a rad structure compared to the alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah I've seen so many grocery store conversations online where people just have no idea that other people have never heard of the store they're posting about.

Grocery chains are highly regional, but because they're such an unremarkable part of everyone's life, I think people tend to assume their own locally dominant chain is some kind of universal experience.