Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno how it works in Michigan, but in Ohio, you can only vote in one party's primary and in fact voting in the primary is how you become a member of that party.

When I voted in the 2020 dem primary, I went from "unaffiliated" to "Democrat". If I roll up to my polling place this year and say I wanna vote on the Republican primary, then my party affiliation field would become "Republican".

My state is a fully open primary, so the details here are unfamiliar. Does it matter at all if your party affiliation is set to Republican? I assume you can still vote for whoever you want in the general election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

ofc, so then they should know that it's taken *since the formation of Israel* for anyone to even begin listening to anyone that it was hosed up and can't be resolved in one presidential election cycle

Blaming 'Genocide Joe' is the lazy man's way of wanting change because it's Genocide All Presidents Ever, the US and Israel's allyship is deep and complex and if you actually care about it, do the loving work to dismantle it over time.

Just because you've had your head buried in the sand for decades doesn't mean the rest of us have genius, people have been complaining about Israel for a very long time

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd place a bet on dark money fueling Trump's general election campaign at least as much as they did in 2020, if not more. I really don't think the wealthy care about Trump as a candidate beyond "he doesn't have as good a shot at winning" but will back whoever has the R. I don't trust capital to not back fascism based on historical precedent.

that's a good point

I do think that american capital is a wily beast compared to capital elsewhere-- namely, american capital swings at everyone and has absolutely no loyalty to anything or anyone, ever, including its own continued existence-- so who knows what the gently caress rich people in america will do

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Grey Cat posted:

For real, the whole movie was about waking up and recognizing authoritarianism lol.

actually the movie is about how the mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A Fancy Hat posted:

A personal anecdote so take it with a grain of salt, but I work for a Fortune 500 Company and Trump's tariffs hosed us up really badly, to the point our CEO sent us an email asking us to write letters to the White House demanding they end them.

lol i love when someone who is used to getting their way by sending an angry email at a subordinate comes up with plans like that

then they get infuriated when their c-suite access doesn't extend to the presidency lol

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 28, 2024

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blurred posted:

I missed polling chat last night, but wanted to add my two cents here.

I don't think you're wrong, and I don't think the polls are incredibly wrong either. But at the same time Trump has been losing elections since 2016. And while you point out that there was no "red wave" and they "overperformed" the polls, Democrats swept the board just 3 months ago and won nearly every competitive election.

My take is that we have to take these threats seriously but doomerism is bad. I honestly do not believe Trump is up. And if he is, it's a mirage.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

big mean giraffe posted:

Just because you've had your head buried in the sand for decades doesn't mean the rest of us have genius, people have been complaining about Israel for a very long time

absolutely that's my point, the people who are all 'im not gonna vote for joe biden over his israel policy' are idiots bc it's the same israel policy every president ever has had

legit just said it's taken this long to get here so the general public even has an inkling of this problem and its 'omg joe biden supports israel gross', its like, where the gently caress have you beeeeeeeen :psyduck: the ENTIRE US political ecosytem supports Israel and has since its founding! It's Been An Issue!!

The IDF and GA State university have an exchange program that helped lead to loving Cop City, this poo poo runs deep.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 28, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm more curious as to what interference Russia and China will have in the election

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Stink Billyums posted:

lol there's no pause between the two statements

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1762668150116491513

Brain death is the permanent, irreversible, and complete loss of brain function which may include cessation of involuntary activity necessary to sustain life.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm more curious as to what interference Russia and China will have in the election

Don't forget Iran! They're here too!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

this thread

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

absolutely that's my point, the people who are all 'im not gonna vote for joe biden over his israel policy' are idiots bc it's the same israel policy every president ever has had

Anyone who thinks their protest vote over Israel matters overestimates themselves. That's not me being dismissive of the matter, or thinking Israel isn't committing a genocide and we're being dumbshits for being complicit in it.

I hate to be the one to tell them this, anyone who isn't a plugged in freak like we are has absolutely nearly no knowledge of Israel/Palestine besides "Criticizing Israel? Doesn't that make you anti-semetic...?" Support for Israel is solidly institutional across all levels. It's like support for Saudi Arabia. Sure- you might realize there are tremendous downsides for it. But in public and with votes you're going to do it anyway.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Anyone who thinks their protest vote over Israel matters overestimates themselves. That's not me being dismissive of the matter, or thinking Israel isn't committing a genocide and we're being dumbshits for being complicit in it.

I hate to be the one to tell them this, anyone who isn't a plugged in freak like we are has absolutely nearly no knowledge of Israel/Palestine besides "Criticizing Israel? Doesn't that make you anti-semetic...?" Support for Israel is solidly institutional across all levels. It's like support for Saudi Arabia. Sure- you might realize there are tremendous downsides for it. But in public and with votes you're going to do it anyway.

All of this yes, 100% this is what I meant but wasn't saying it so good, thank you :unsmith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd place a bet on dark money fueling Trump's general election campaign at least as much as they did in 2020, if not more. I really don't think the wealthy care about Trump as a candidate beyond "he doesn't have as good a shot at winning" but will back whoever has the R. I don't trust capital to not back fascism based on historical precedent.

LMAO - The GOP is going broke, if there is 'dark money' it usually still shows up in their balance sheets. It has not. Trump is currently draining said funds for his own election and defense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO - The GOP is going broke, if there is 'dark money' it usually still shows up in their balance sheets. It has not. Trump is currently draining said funds for his own election and defense.

the GOP is going to be the biggest donor to E. Jean Carroll's retirement

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Do you have anything to back this up? Polling I've seen shows majority support for ceasefire in Gaza

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't the point of dark money that it doesn't show up in the party's balance sheets? It's superPAC dollars and *wink wink* not coordinating with any party or candidate *wink wink*

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1762866538246209914

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

:lol: that the GOP's election war chest is all going up Jr's nose, down Sr's diap, into the state of New York's coffers, or paying for Lionel Hutz' Fischer Price law diplomas

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Junk posted:

actually the movie is about how the mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart

:hmmyes:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Isn't the point of dark money that it doesn't show up in the party's balance sheets? It's superPAC dollars and *wink wink* not coordinating with any party or candidate *wink wink*

not after citizens united

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

These gaps in polling to result are interesting to me

Dems aren't having these gaps. Trump really is having a a pretty good sized, consistent gap between polls and voting every time.

Republican polls have those gaps because the results are fabricated to make Donald happy

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Eight-Six posted:

not after citizens united

sorry, not superPACs, 501(c) 'dark money' orgs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

They money shows up, who gave it is masked. That's the dark money part

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I am looking forward to seeing a 2nd tier Trump put in charge of the RNC and what is left of their finances. Is there an estimated time-frame for when that happens?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

a second miscellaneous order just struck the SCOTUS page

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Stink Billyums posted:

lol there's no pause between the two statements

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1762668150116491513

IT'S MY PROJECTION AND I WANT IT NOW!

CALL JB CHUDWORTH, 666-CHUD-NOW

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1762587830474174901

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Grey Cat posted:

It's pretty good I've only ever seen the full cut which is like 2.5hrs. If anyone is on the fence for watching it let me sell you.

It has a booby robot
You're pitching past the close

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

one of the three miscellaneous orders is that hotdogs are now legal tender.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah Citizens United really is the biggest "gently caress you" to anti-corruption measures in the history of this country. It's basically "bribe all you want, the bill" and I'm certain millions will come flooding in from rival countries looking to try to destabilize the US with another Trump victory that will result in a de-facto dictatorship on day one. Don't have to worry about the US projecting its military power when the military is too busy fighting a war against its own civilians!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

We're so back

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Obviously

Really

Ball

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
God drat, the orb stuff was like 7 years ago. Time flies.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I do that all the time!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Hunter biden has won zero primaries. Donald trump himself has won 122 delegates. Biden is doomed

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

jokes posted:

Nobody expected Trump to win-- especially not Trump. He was going in to gently caress with Hillary and start a media grift and complain about unfair elections and all that poo poo so he could grift, but he won so he had to pivot

Still waiting for that pivot. Win or lose, he's still whining about an election two elections ago.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Sometime in October the Dems should just pay Hillary to go on Fox News and talk about classified material handling. Trump might actuallly explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

nobodygetshurt posted:

one of the three miscellaneous orders is that hotdogs are now legal tender.