Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The MSJ posted:

Rango is a great Western.

Rango is so good. (Also a Deakins "shot" film)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The people who are going to see this movie want this kind of look over strapping a camera to a train and pensive shots of Brad Pitt looking off in the distance in a wheat field.

hosed up if true

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's TV, but The English from a year or so back was very good.

Yeah, that was good one.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I was just being cheeky but the most recent of those is almost 20 years old.

gently caress. Assassination is still a recent movie in my head. I’m so old.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

LesterGroans posted:

But yes. Tombstone and The Quick and the Dead are much better modern shootouts. gently caress, I want to rewatch Tombstone.

Kurt Russell's "Oh my god..." when he realises that the confrontation at the OK Corral is about to go hot is an great cinema moment imo. Usually heroes are more stoic, but he really wanted a non-violent resolution there. Not sure how accurate that is to real life Wyatt Earp but who gives a poo poo?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kevin Costner is like if beige was a person who was also a dad

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
A recent western that I really liked was The Harder They Fall, fantastic cast and just a lot of fun which I think a lot of recent westerns lack.

Slow West was also a recent one that's really good, The Salvation has some rough spots but I'll watch Mads in anything.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I enjoyed both Slow West and The Salvation, though not as much as I had hoped to. While not a movie, I really enjoyed Godless (by the same guy who did The Queen's Gambit).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Meek’s Cutoff was awesome, I forgot about that one.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember the remake of True Grit being very good.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Coens True Grit is good stuff and surprisingly their highest grossing film.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Bone Tomahawk kicked rear end.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Loved both True Grit and Slow West. The photography in both was astounding good.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Such a fantastic loving trailer

https://youtu.be/CrhrNS0JFyg?si=HUoHccLbIcZjm7AT

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 28, 2024

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Yeah, color me intrigued.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm intrigued to see if M. Night's daughter can outdo him.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Holy gently caress :stare:

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 28, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I saw that trailer with Shyamalan's name and didn't watch because I of course assumed it was M. Night himself. But learning that it's his daughter made me give it a chance. Looks cool. Love the lush greens.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Trailer looked good. Hoping it's not just old naked mole people.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WOW using Anthem For A Seventeen Year Old Girl in this trailer feels like it was done just for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymDzCgPwj0

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A24 have set their sights on aging hipsters and their aim is deadly accurate.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

flashy_mcflash posted:

WOW using Anthem For A Seventeen Year Old Girl in this trailer feels like it was done just for me.

I have heard this is amazing and that trailer didn't disappoint. Drew me right in.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Justice Smith is an interesting actor, he was great in the D&D movie, really nails the vibe.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

distortion park posted:

Justice Smith is an interesting actor, he was great in the D&D movie, really nails the vibe.

Yeah, I'm starting to look out for him and what projects he's in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasn't his breakout role in The Get Down? Really under-rated show shame it got canceled after 1 season

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

First time I saw him was in Sharper, and he was really good. Did a good job in D&D, too.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
He was great in Detective PIkachu as well

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

personally im looking forward to seeing conner o'malley vs fred durst on the big screen

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

flashy_mcflash posted:

I likey!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

distortion park posted:

It’s funny that he was the lead in one of the most highly regarded movies coming out of Sundance this year (this one) and one of the most contentious ones (Society of Magical Negroes). A man of contrasts. (I liked him in Detective Pikachu)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I made him kiss the Robbins/Sarandon nepo baby in The Quarry.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Saying the same thing I did after the Civil War trailer earlier this month: what the hell is up with the last edit?
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1762887707452149893?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA
(Edit: I guess it's teasing an iconic line of dialogue from the original, but I doubt "I'm right on top of that, Rose" had the cultural impact to serve as an "Avengers, assemble" type fake-out)

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 28, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That looks like a low budget fake movie

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

emgeejay posted:

Saying the same thing I did after the Civil War trailer earlier this month: what the hell is up with the last edit?
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1762887707452149893?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA
(Edit: I guess it's teasing an iconic line of dialogue from the original, but I doubt "I'm right on top of that, Rose" had the cultural impact to serve as an "Avengers, assemble" type fake-out)

I watched the poo poo out of the original movie when I was a kid, but I had no idea what line they were referencing, literally until you mentioned it. I think they missed the mark.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Wow so apparently they let Renny Harlin direct not one, but three new Strangers movies back to back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZUQmZdOi4

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Renny Harlin

Boy, the 2000s were not kind to this guy were they? A bunch of his 90s movies were a lot of fun, but crikey, his career tanked hard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Boy, the 2000s were not kind to this guy were they? A bunch of his 90s movies were a lot of fun, but crikey, his career tanked hard.

have you ever heard of the movie Cutthroat Island

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo cutthroat island is the second-best mid 90s geena davis action movie after the long kiss goodnight

not very many movies can take that crown

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Carthag Tuek posted:

imo cutthroat island is the second-best mid 90s geena davis action movie after the long kiss goodnight

not very many movies can take that crown

The gap in quality between those two is massive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thrawn527 posted:

The gap in quality between those two is massive, though.

sure, but its like my uncle, he took second place in the zealandic greco-roman wrestling championship for his weight class in 1952. it sounds pretty good dont it?