Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
In terms of metrics, you definitely get less exp overall if Marcus or Seth are mopping up kills. I think the more important thing is who the EXP is going to. I don’t think anyone’s going to be too sad if Dorcas ends up under levelled. That aside, Josef doesn’t even rank in this discussion, you’re outright hurting yourself if you don’t use him. He’s perfect for assisting weaker units in mopping up enemies to power themselves up, and setting him as a team leader allows you to enjoy the pros of having a mounted unit with no drawbacks in the early game. How he stacks up in the long run for the full game remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Probably going to use him when I start playing again tonight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kanos posted:

Technically, you can finish it and then tell yourself "I could do another run that's more optimal now that I know what I'm doing and I can see more content I didn't get to on run 1". :v:

Lol I was tempted to do this despite having only played three times for relatively short periods. On my last time playing I went on a short walk and forgot the game was open and saved out only noticing the timer thing as I was closing the game. Probably 45 minutes or more lost for being AFK oops.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I've seen comments that Josef has notably lower stats then what you'd expect for units at level 20 (plus possible stat gains from promotion, which he obviously wouldn't get), so along those lines he'd presumably have to fall into more of a supportive role eventually as opposed to early game general problem solver. But he actually does have the skills on his skill list to do exactly that, so he'll remain useful even if his actual damage dealing and tanking ability fall off later on.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I imagine the full game roster is going to be rather expansive, and with items that give out EXP to be used at your discretion, it's not going to be too much of an issue to swap out Josef if you need to.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There's also potentially infinite grinding in the full game with auxiliary stages (limited to 5 entrances in the demo)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been playing on Tactical and been sticking to the recommended missions, I admit, but from what I have played I have not used Josef once beyond the intro mission and I have had no real trouble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but why not use josef hes cool

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/02/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1839

Famitsu review

Unicorn Overlord (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Switch) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
"Takes 40 to 50 hours to clear, or over 100 hours to complete everything."

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

This seems extremely my poo poo, but…the graphical presentation in battles is odd. The animation looks bad and what is the deal with battles never showing everyone in the same “frame”? It seems to abstract the drama of the battles a lot, which makes it feel like you’re playing a board game adaptation. Does that make sense or do I sound insane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, it shows them in the same frame when they're attacking each other? the reason for the pans is to make it clear whose action it is and whos being attacked, if you zoomed out more itd be harder to follow at double speed

and the animations are good

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It would be nice to have more variety in animations but I’d hardly call them bad.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nemesis_hub posted:

This seems extremely my poo poo, but…the graphical presentation in battles is odd. The animation looks bad and what is the deal with battles never showing everyone in the same “frame”? It seems to abstract the drama of the battles a lot, which makes it feel like you’re playing a board game adaptation. Does that make sense or do I sound insane

Saying a Vanillaware game has bad animation does make you sound insane yes

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I imagine the full game roster is going to be rather expansive, and with items that give out EXP to be used at your discretion, it's not going to be too much of an issue to swap out Josef if you need to.

Presuming there’s like sixty named units plus dozens of generic dudes to hire, it’s more than I ever handled in Ogre Battle 64 which gave you maybe twenty named units, and even then you couldn’t even get them all in a single playthru due to “chaos frame” morality balance.

I didn’t realize til now that certain weapon equips can give you magic or poison properties which owns, makes equipment choice matter a lot more to characters. Def gonna give thief poison daggers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, I love that the equipment gives extra abilities. It makes them a lot more meaningful and gives a real reason not to just bulk upgrade to the highest-stat gear as it becomes available.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can also just turn off their abilities if you want the stats and not the ability!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Terper posted:

You can also just turn off their abilities if you want the stats and not the ability!

Or set it to a conditional rule! I have the guy with the draining sword only use the draining ability when he's under half health.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would actually prefer the battles to look the same as in Ogre Battle 64, but higher res and more detailed, but Unicorn Overlord looks great in my opinion.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've always kind dug the aesthetics of VanillaWare games where they're laid out like a stage play, or maybe a diorama with paper puppets.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I hope the furry kingdom has a little rabbit sword guy unit that can do buzz saw jumps.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I've always kind dug the aesthetics of VanillaWare games where they're laid out like a stage play, or maybe a diorama with paper puppets.

I think this is my first of theirs and it's extremely my jam. A while ago I was trying to figure out which RPGMaker can get me the closest visually to... well a clumsier more goblet grotto ish version of this. Also love all the isometric-ish tiling they do combined with the parallax stretching stuff.

I think the way the characters are always somewhat committed to a viewer facing 3/4 pose and even the head tilt reminds me a ton of MegaMan custom spriting community and comics back in the day. MegaMan always had that kind of style and when they uprezzed at 7 and X they committed to it similarly to characters in this.

The game has an interesting art style, it's unique, stylized with intention, identified its own visual needs and goals and brought them together beautifully to suit what the game is -- therefore plenty of people are just not gonna appreciate it. If they all did it couldn't be that good.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Any idea if this is available through the Nintendo online game voucher thingy?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Banjo Bones posted:

Any idea if this is available through the Nintendo online game voucher thingy?

It's not. Only Nintendo-published games are eligible for that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Share your tips for expert difficulty on Winged watchertower spam.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I would actually prefer the battles to look the same as in Ogre Battle 64, but higher res and more detailed, but Unicorn Overlord looks great in my opinion.

This is probably what I really mean, yes.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Don’t remember what quest you’re referring to? That said most problems can be solved on the demo with liberal use of cavalry even on expert.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Don’t remember what quest you’re referring to? That said most problems can be solved on the demo with liberal use of cavalry even on expert.

The one where you help the winged angel, and her mission has like 4 archers with most of them in watch towers giving support.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tae posted:

Share your tips for expert difficulty on Winged watchertower spam.

do you have items? use your items. they really do make a huge difference

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You can use her squad to take the first group of archers on the watchtower (maybe even the second if you use some healing items), use a movement speed valor boost or item if for some reason she can't get in range fast enough before she gets blasted by the field skill, but she should be able. Otherwise you can pair a ranged dmg assist down leader like Hodrick or Lex along with some cavalry to pretty much sweep the field aside from that one.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 29, 2024

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tae posted:

The one where you help the winged angel, and her mission has like 4 archers with most of them in watch towers giving support.

You can use the Fighter valor skill to Provoke archers off watchtowers

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm finished with the demo but I want to keep playing. drat you March 1st-8th why do you even exist?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm finished with the demo but I want to keep playing. drat you March 1st-8th why do you even exist?

To play FFVII Rebirth, obviously

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Expert feels like a lot of buying nuts for stamina because a lot of my losses is because of stamina exhhaustion. But level 4-5 missions has a lot of one silver bullet and hoping they live to deliver it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

bravesword posted:

To play FFVII Rebirth, obviously

I bought it. Still would rather play Unicorn Overlord.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're pure of heart and body they will let you into the sacred grove to playtest nightly builds.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

This was a really meaty demo, my save file was six or seven hours before it timed out.

Really getting a feeling for the different team makeups, and the way you can adjust the specific logic for every unit's abilities to trigger makes it seem like you can go way beyond just setting up hard counters for every enemy class. Also the mission where they gave me a gryphon knight that just let me fly over a mountain range and defeat the boss early was neat, glad they let you think outside the box a little.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Looks like the jp atlus account put up a bunch of shorts of chars

https://www.youtube.com/@atlustube

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's a good squad for Gryphon riders? I recruited one as my first merc, flying movement is cool but so far she has just died immediately from support arrows or any archer. Even with Shieldy man in front. Are they just a good hit and run so long as you aren't dealing with ranged support or get better with more robust squads later. I just really like Gryphons so I was hoping to have a flock of death but so far they're very fragile.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Khanstant posted:

What's a good squad for Gryphon riders? I recruited one as my first merc, flying movement is cool but so far she has just died immediately from support arrows or any archer. Even with Shieldy man in front. Are they just a good hit and run so long as you aren't dealing with ranged support or get better with more robust squads later. I just really like Gryphons so I was hoping to have a flock of death but so far they're very fragile.

Throw some XP books on her and give her a Recruit's Axe. You won't get any Evasion items until you clear the stage right after where you can first recruit them unless you take it off Travis. But yeah they can solo frontline tank certain units easily.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Khanstant posted:

Yahna with the book that has freeze conferral, Gryphon Knight targeting back row with wide swing, Lex or someone else with arrow cover prioritize flying and a Lapis pendant.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gryphon Knights (and other multi-targetting attackers) also naturally get better as you progress through the game and start fighting enemies with more characters per squad.