Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I just got the news, Mitch McConnell to step down as GOP Senate leader in November?! If the GOP takes the Senate and a dipshit like Thune takes over...
https://apnews.com/article/mitch-mcconnell-senate-republican-leader-stepping-down-ba478d570a4561aa7baf91a204d7e366

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1762890621415506053?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Good riddance

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man Scott vs. whoever (Thune?) is going to be brutal. I guess we'll find out how much of the GOP Senate caucus' (relative) order was due to sheer force of will by Mitch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kind of curious if this means he does/doesn't endorse Trump.

But good riddance no matter what. He's a hateful little troll and actually good at the mechanics of politics ; I don't think the GOP is aware of how bad this is going to leave them in the medium-to-long term.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Good riddance, but I think this probably doesn't change much.

Some Republicans freaked out when Mitch started doing his thing and were sure that Americans would turn against them for it, but he proved them wrong and the playbook is written now. Thune or whoever just has to copy it again and everyone in the caucus is already used to it. Once the norms are broken, there isn't any going back.

At this point, it seems like whoever the successor is would have to be crazy to not just keep the McConnell playbook going.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

At this point, it seems like whoever the successor is would have to be crazy to not just keep the McConnell playbook going.

Sentences spoken just before disaster.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kind of curious if this means he does/doesn't endorse Trump.

But good riddance no matter what. He's a hateful little troll and actually good at the mechanics of politics ; I don't think the GOP is aware of how bad this is going to leave them in the medium-to-long term.

That's the thing about McCarthy and McConnell, they were the fundraisers of the GOP. You get the Trumps in charge of the RNC, and it's a dry well. You can still run on the (R) by a candidates name in the most secure places, but the races that count need that cash and there's nothing there. Dark money only goes so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Surely no one crazy could accede to the position of Senate GOP leader.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Byzantine posted:

Sentences spoken just before disaster.

Crazy from the perspective of political self-preservation.

McConnell was also smarter than the House leadership and understood that causing the country to default on its debt or shutdown the government until the next election were self-destructive moves. He just blocked all of the opposition's policy priorities and kept the ship mostly running to significant success for the conservative public policy movement.

It is kind of ironic that a certain part of the Republican base hates him because he is without a doubt the most effective single person in American government at actually getting conservative public policy victories and he has written the playbook for leaders going forward.

His pure cynicism and shamelessness powered through a strategy that a lot of people doubted and he turned out to be right because his cynicism enabled him to stick to the plan.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On the plus side, if they're not as good at brinksmanship as McConnell then we might finally get rid of the legislative filibuster

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I wonder if this means Mitch doesn't think the GOP can take back the Senate. I mean, WV is a pickup but does he think everywhere else holds? It doesn't make sense to step down when you have a chance to take back control. Unless he is being selfless (hah!) and is pulling a Pelosi to groom his successor.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

VorpalBunny posted:

I wonder if this means Mitch doesn't think the GOP can take back the Senate. I mean, WV is a pickup but does he think everywhere else holds? It doesn't make sense to step down when you have a chance to take back control. Unless he is being selfless (hah!) and is pulling a Pelosi to groom his successor.

I'm guessing he may have an illness that he hasn't disclosed yet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

VorpalBunny posted:

His health has also been pretty not-great. We shouldn't forget that. There are a lot of reasons, many of which we 100% can't know, so it's pretty hard to make predictions from this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VorpalBunny posted:

He is also old and has been promising to let new blood into leadership for a while. I don't think he runs for re-election. He'd be 91 at the end of his next term.

The 2024 Senate map is very unfavorable to Dems. It would take a big series of failures for Republicans to not win the Senate. It happened in 2014 and 2010, so it isn't impossible, but it will be very difficult to throw that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VorpalBunny posted:

Zapp Brannigan posted:

I'm guessing he may have an illness that he hasn't disclosed yet.

I think it’s both. He is old and probably has health issues and whatever demon he met wants their deal finished. But I also think he sees the party is headed for a rough time even if trump pulls a win. He got his hosed up goals accomplished and would like to get out before it gets really bad.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
2024 is a very unfavorable map that's kept Dems viable in the Senate because there have been very lucky years in 2018, 2012, and 2006. It's still a question mark how 2024 will go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xiahou Dun posted:

His health has also been pretty not-great. We shouldn't forget that. There are a lot of reasons, many of which we 100% can't know, so it's pretty hard to make predictions from this.
I would imagine it is mostly health related. The last few times he spoke with reporters it was a disaster

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

koolkal posted:

There are 212 House members and 51 Senate members. 69 / (212 + 51) = 26% vs. 70% of Dem voters. That is absolutely insane.

It compares well to the 0% of Republicans calling for a ceasefire. And considering that majorities have only been supporting a ceasefire for a few weeks at most, it's not surprising for support to lag a bit.

Besides, that list of 69 only counts people who've called for a permanent ceasefire. So it leaves out people who've backed a humanitarian ceasefire but not a permanent ceasefire, such as Bernie Sanders. Why's that matter? Because polls don't always distinguish between the two types of ceasefire. It's actually a fairly complex situation that deserves far better than the pollsters trying to boil it down to just 2-3 simple current-events questions to tuck in at the end of their poll.

While polling is still spotty and scattered, there's some evidence suggesting that while voters are increasingly thinking that "Israel has gone too far", they don't think that position is incompatible with "it's impossible for Israel to have peace with Hamas, which must be destroyed". This means that people can have a dizzying array of seemingly-contradictory stances, and that polling results can seem to vary wildly depending on what exactly the pollster asked.

A perfect example is Bernie Sanders. He feels that Israel is going way too far and causing a "humanitarian disaster", and so he favors a short-term humanitarian ceasefire and has pushed for the US to condition aid to Israel on Israel meeting humanitarian metrics...but on the other hand, he actively opposes a permanent ceasefire, on the grounds that:

quote:

I don't know how you could have a permanent ceasefire with Hamas who has said before October 7, and after October 7, that they want to destroy Israel. They want a permanent war. I don't know how you have a permanent ceasefire with an attitude like that.
I think Israel has the right to defend itself and go after Hamas. Not the Palestinian people.

How the heck would that show up in polls? He supports a humanitarian ceasefire but opposes a permanent ceasefire. He thinks that Israel has gone too far, but also seems to think that the war should be continued until Hamas is defeated. He supports aid to Israel, but only when it's tied to humanitarian conditions. When answering the Morning Consult poll, he'd seem to be against the war; when answering the HarrisX poll, he'd seem to be for the war. But that's really just the fault of pollsters (and internet commentators) not allowing for sufficient nuance on a complex issue with far more possible stances than the punditry are willing to acknowledge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I would say it's mostly health, somewhat not wanting to deal with the Senate any more, and also a chance to go out on top with all his goals accomplished and locked in. He's going to die thinking the government will be conservative for the foreseeable future, unless we can do something about it before then

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Overturning Roe has had a very minimal impact on the number of abortions performed in the U.S. It has just made them massively more inconvenient and expensive for women in states that banned abortion, but they are still going to get them.

Overturning Roe has not "saved" many babies, but it is making life objectively harder for about 10,000 to 15,000 more women every year. A massive success for the pro-life movement.

A large chunk of the damage is being prevented by the new availability of abortion drugs via mail, but the Supreme Court will be ruling on that shortly and several Republicans in congress (and Trump) have vowed to pass a law banning it.

If that happens, then many more women would be impacted. But, it is not possible to tell how many would just be additionally impoverished and inconvenienced vs. how many would actually be unable to obtain an abortion if that were to happen. It may be another scenario that has a minimal impact on the total number of abortions, but just makes it more expensive and inconvenient for tens of thousands of people.

This is personal speculation on my part, but I think if they ban getting abortion drugs via mail/telehealth, then it will probably be worse in terms of people actually being unable to get an abortion than overturning Roe was. The newly available ability to get it all done via mail - anywhere in the country - is a huge dam holding back a lot of potential damage that hasn't happened yet.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1762893142955597921

quote:

About as many abortions are happening in the US monthly as before Roe was overturned, report finds

The number of abortions performed each month is about the same as before the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and the nationwide right to abortion more than a year and a half ago, a new report finds.

The latest edition of the #WeCount report conducted for the Society of Family Planning, a nonprofit organization that promotes research on abortion and contraception, finds that between 81,150 and 88,620 abortions took place each month from July through September of last year, the most recent period for which survey results are available. Those numbers are just slightly lower than the monthly average of about 86,800 from April through June 2022, before Roe and just after was overturned.

But abortion data is seasonal, and the same survey found more abortions across the U.S. in the spring months of 2023 than it did in the period the year before leading up to the court’s decision.

The report also finds that prescriptions of abortion pills by telemedicine have become common, accounting for about one in every six abortions in the most recent three months of survey results.

“Even when a state bans abortion, people continue to need and seek abortion care,” Alison Norris, a professor at Ohio State University’s College of Public Health and one of the co-chairs of the study, said in a statement. “We can’t let the overall consistent number of abortions nationally obscure the incredible unmet need and disastrous impact of abortion bans on people who already have the least access.”

The report estimates that if states had not been allowed to ban abortion, there would have been a total of 120,000 more during the survey period in the 14 states where bans on abortion at all stages of pregnancy are now in place.

Although the number of monthly abortions has dropped to nearly zero in states with bans, they have risen in states that allow abortion, including Florida, Illinois and Kansas, which border states with bans.

The tracking effort collects monthly data from providers across the country, creating a snapshot of abortion trends after Roe v. Wade was overturned. In some states, a portion of the data is estimated. The effort makes data public with less than a six-month lag, giving a picture of trends far faster than annual reports from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where the most recent report covers abortion in 2021.

The report does not cover self-managed abortions obtained outside the formal health care system — such as if someone gets abortion pills from a friend without a prescription.

The Supreme Court’s Dobbs v. Jackson ruling in June 2022 brought about immediate change in state policies. Currently, 14 states are enforcing bans on abortion in all stages of pregnancy and two more have bans that kick in after the first six weeks — often before women realize they’re pregnant. Other Republican-controlled states have imposed lighter restrictions. Enforcement of some bans has been put on hold by courts.

Meanwhile, most Democrat-controlled states have taken steps to protect access to abortion. Several have executive orders or laws that seek to keep states with bans from reaching across state lines in abortion-related investigations. And five — Colorado, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont and Washington — have laws seeking to protect providers who give abortion care via telehealth.

The report’s total numbers includes cases where providers in those states prescribed medication abortion to patients in states with abortion bans or restrictions on the pill versions in its national count but does not break down how many there were by state.

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering whether mifepristone, one of the two drugs most commonly prescribed in combination to cause abortions was properly approved.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 28, 2024

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think because of the long terms that senators serve for that their descent into full chud-ism has been somewhat delayed compared to the house. So while it's great that McConnel is leaving, whoever succeeds him is probably going to be even worse.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Would the conservatives on the Supreme Court be stupid enough to step on the abortion rake again?

During an election year?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

B B posted:

Nate is right. There's really no reason to fret over what ~100,000 voters are going to do in Michigan.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762486466922377529

I will keep saying this to everyone who will listen: the polls are still not predictive yet and are literal coin flips. They start to get marginally predictive around mid-April, not now, and their predictive power will increase very slowly but linearly until election day.

https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php

quote:

These matchups may be fun to speculate about, but the evidence suggests that even national trial heat polls conducted this far in advance of a presidential election are completely uninformative about its outcome. (Individual state trial heats are likely to be even less useful.) In their book The Timeline of Presidential Elections, the political scientists Christopher Wlezien and Robert Erikson find that polls conducted even 300 days before an election have virtually no predictive power; their forecasting power comes later in a campaign:

Never forget Clinton winning by 10+ in August 2016.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charliegrs posted:

I think because of the long terms that senators serve for that their descent into full chud-ism has been somewhat delayed compared to the house. So while it's great that McConnel is leaving, whoever succeeds him is probably going to be even worse.

It’s also because the whole state votes. So sure you will get crazies in deep red states but house allows for districts to send whatever nuts can be found.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ither posted:

Would the conservatives on the Supreme Court be stupid enough to step on the abortion rake again?

During an election year?

That's the great thing about being a justice, you're not walking around, just throwing rakes into the road willy-nilly. The candidates for lesser office are walking around but you don't have to care about them any more

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Ither posted:

During an election year?

Why would anyone on the Supreme Court care about the outcome of any election

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

small butter posted:

I will keep saying this to everyone who will listen: the polls are still not predictive yet and are literal coin flips. They start to get marginally predictive around mid-April, not now, and their predictive power will increase very slowly but linearly until election day.

https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php

Never forget the intense 2008 general election campaign between Hillary Clinton and Giuliani

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

small butter posted:

But have you considered that the noisy, non-predictive data set can be read in a way to confirm my prior beliefs?

Maybe some very accurate haruspicy would convince you?

Caros
May 14, 2008

He really didn't like being a minority I guess.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Aztec Galactus posted:

Why would anyone on the Supreme Court care about the outcome of any election

Because the conservatives on the court have an agenda.

And that agenda gets stalled if the abortion backlash gets bigger and causes a blue wave.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
McConnell utterly remade the Senate (and the GOP for that matter) into a completely obstructionist, utterly partisan institution. Now, the obstructionism was also baked in from the beginning, but McConnell elevated it to the level of common practice - doing whatever he could to deny the opposition party any accomplishments, no matter how small. The Republican Party followed suit - and obstructionism became a principle.

In a way, I have no moral opposition to this as a way to organize your political party - I would be over the moon if there was a Leftist/Social Democratic/Labor party that saw politics as a war between competing worldviews and practices, but unfortunately, we have the Democrats.

I'm also not worried that anyone can be "worse" than McConnell, because what Mitch does is very simple: just say No to everything. It doesn't really carry a lot of nuance to it, plus I am confident that whoever replaces him will be significantly *dumber* than he is, considering the next wave of GOP politicians.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 28, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Mitch could also control his caucus, which we can see isn't something to be taken for granted.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Morrow posted:

Mitch could also control his caucus, which we can see isn't something to be taken for granted.

He wasn't really particularly great at that, honestly. What Mitch was prevent anything he personally disagreed with from ever coming up to a vote, meaning that even his own caucus had no real chance to defy him by voting for something he opposed.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
There may have been a historical window where such obstructionism works as a political strategy for a party, but where outside that window it's a huge loser for your party.

Material conditions and political realities may be different for the successor of a dying traitor party.

No reason to assume this though

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Morrow posted:

Not always. I still have the moment McCain voted against the GOP efforts to kill Obamacare saved to my DVR, that iconic thumbs down. McConnell couldn't look him in the eye. Such a great moment in gently caress You politics.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

VorpalBunny posted:

Not always. I still have the moment McCain voted against the GOP efforts to kill Obamacare saved to my DVR, that iconic thumbs down. McConnell couldn't look him in the eye. Such a great moment in gently caress You politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz1XKVvHroo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's Johns all the way down to replace McConnell.

quote:

The three leading candidates to replace McConnell are John Thune, John Barrasso, and John Cornyn.

I caught Senator Mike Rounds on his way out of a caucus meeting and asked him who he would be supporting.

"John," he said as he left the room.

The one clever thing that Mike Rounds has ever done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's Johns all the way down to replace McConnell.

The one clever thing that Mike Rounds has ever done.

I think they got sent the joke as part of the talking points

https://twitter.com/reesejgorman/status/1762900248823808501

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tom Cotton also wants to get into leadership, but isn't running for Majority/Minority leader.

Tom Cotton, Josh Hawley, and Rick Scott are probably the most objectively awful people to have any leadership position.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1762909291462242683

quote:

Sen. Tom Cotton, who is close to McConnell, is considering running for a leadership position in the GOP amid the coming leadership shuffle and is being encouraged to look at a bid, said a person familiar with Cotton’s thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

small butter posted:

Also if you're going to use the Michigan primary to predict the general election, it's only fair to include that Trump has underperformed the polls in every primary so far and did so by double digits yesterday. That probably doesn't mean anything for November, but neither does the vote uncommitted campaign.