Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

This is an easy denial, right? Or do they make exceptions for large judgements like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does he think this is a business deal where if he negotiates and holds out long enough the court will get desperate and lower their offer?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guess the sneakers didn't sell as well as he'd hoped.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Anyone have a link to the filing? Curious if it’s signed by Habba.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Does he think this is a business deal where if he negotiates and holds out long enough the court will get desperate and lower their offer?

Truly the mind of Trump works in mysterious ways

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This is an easy denial, right? Or do they make exceptions for large judgements like this?

Don't know why they would entertain this, they already have a monitor for his finances

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lmao he 10,000% does not have the money and they are gonna seize his poo poo.

Also he offered, but didn't post said bond, so he might not even have the 100 mill and is hoping to just delay with this some how.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Guess the sneakers didn't sell as well as he'd hoped.
It’s Trump, so him getting his rear end saved by a grift shoe sale at the last minute, only to decide he’s rather keep the money and try to bullshit his way out of the fine, is entirely within his MO.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 28, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

haveblue posted:

Art of the Deal, Baby!

Offer them 100 Mil, and they'll have to settle for that.

Then don't pay that, but offer them 80 mil out of the 100 mil.

Then you don't even have to appeal to lower the fine, since they technically accepted tbe lower ammount to stop the judgment being inacted.

One weird trick, Judges hate it when litigants do this to civil judgments!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s Trump, so him getting his rear end saved by a grift shoe sale at the last minute, only to decide he’s rather keep the money and try to bullshit his way out of the fine is entirely within his MO.

That toilet picture from the documents case recreated but with boxes full of grifted sneaker money instead of classified docs.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1762906260322562233

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

"But Your Honor, my client is suffering consequences for his actions!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

:smugdon:: "Listen, I can't do $450 million, but how does a cool $100 million sound? What do you say to that?"
:catstare:: "$450 million."
:smugdon:: "Let me explain this to you, I can tell you're not very smart and didn't read my book, all time best-seller Art of the Deal, more popular than the Bible, you know? What we're doing right now is called "negotiating" and wait why did you make that gesture why is the man with the club coming over here yOU CAN'T DO THIS TO YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT!"

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 28, 2024

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I'm actually impressed that Trump didn't just turn around and tell the court that, actually, THEY owe HIM money!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

:trump:: "Listen, I can't do $450 million, but how does a cool $100 million sound? What do you say to that?"
:catstare:: "$450 million."
:trump:: "Let me explain this to you, I can tell you're not very smart and didn't read my book, all time best-seller Art of the Deal, more popular than the Bible, you know? What we're doing right now is called "negotiating" and wait why did you make that gesture why is the man with the club coming over here yOU CAN'T DO THIS TO YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT!"

Yeah, I do feel like only the presence of the bailiff was stopping him from pulling the "say gently caress You and leave" bit

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Lol he's broke and he broke the GOP doing it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

"But Your Honor, my client is suffering consequences for his actions!"

Among the 1700+ pages are a bunch of news articles about the so-called trucker strike and at least like half a dozen instances of this pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tayter Swift posted:

Among the 1700+ pages are a bunch of news articles about the so-called trucker strike and at least like half a dozen instances of this pic

Well I know that'd have me shaking in my robes if I were a judge. A whole... 10 or 3 people. Can you imagine what kind of effect that would have on the economy of New York City? That's almost 3 people per borough!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Uglycat posted:

Lol he's broke and he broke the GOP doing it

I wish I was broke enough to have tens of millions of dollars cash on hand and several major commercial real estate properties.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well I know that'd have me shaking in my robes if I were a judge. A whole... 10 or 3 people. Can you imagine what kind of effect that would have on the economy of New York City? That's almost 3 people per borough!

I can imagine the economic effects but maybe more on the 3 people refusing to accept their loads and not on the city of New York.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, 100 Million bond might be enough for the appeals court to accept. Its not like he can pick up his real estate and move it out of state, Trump Towers isn't going anywhere. The irreparable harm of selling real estate that he might not be able to get back once the appeals are over might be a convincing argument to the appeals court.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cimber posted:

Well, 100 Million bond might be enough for the appeals court to accept. Its not like he can pick up his real estate and move it out of state, Trump Towers isn't going anywhere. The irreparable harm of selling real estate that he might not be able to get back once the appeals are over might be a convincing argument to the appeals court.

Why?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Please don't detonate your career to protest for trump I would be so owned

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Because the appeals court might decide that the 100 million bond is enough for him to have 'skin in the game' and not cause him harm that can't be reversed once this is all done and played out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cimber posted:

Because the appeals court might decide that the 100 million bond is enough for him to have 'skin in the game' and not cause him harm that can't be reversed once this is all done and played out.

That sounds dumb as hell. Do you have a reason besides "idk, people do stupid poo poo"?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but this doesn't sound like a good reason to not enforce a judgement.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I don't know why they would accept $100M when Trump has been very vocal that he is very rich, bigly rich, the most richester person.

I wouldn't be surprised, but especially given how lovely he is they have no reason not to demand the full amount.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I mean overall I wouldn’t mind “doesn’t do irreversible harm to the defendant” being an appeal/bond consideration but it sure isn’t one right now.

Edit: wouldn’t mind it being the rule for everyone I mean

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

I've had this in my back pocket for a little while now. I think now's finally a good time to post it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That was fast

https://twitter.com/molcranenewman/status/1762917559714591091?t=ajMrJxn0K4OiZjGMey8wxw&s=19

This should be a quick denial I would think?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zamujasa posted:

I don't know why they would accept $100M when Trump has been very vocal that he is very rich, bigly rich, the most richester person.

I wouldn't be surprised, but especially given how lovely he is they have no reason not to demand the full amount.

Has any court ever accepted a bond for less than the full amount of the judgement before?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I wish I was broke enough to have tens of millions of dollars cash on hand and several major commercial real estate properties.

Cant help you there. Can I interest you in 91 state and federal counts instead?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lol

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Xiahou Dun posted:

That sounds dumb as hell. Do you have a reason besides "idk, people do stupid poo poo"?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but this doesn't sound like a good reason to not enforce a judgement.

He's not asking them to not enforce the judgement, he's asking for them to accept a bond that is less than the full judgement, but still substantial, while the appeal is ongoing. Which sounds fair-ish to me given that he doesn't have total control over his finances, so it's not like he can just toss a $20 on the judge's desk and then get busy on moving the rest of his money to the Caymans or something.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Jethro posted:

He's not asking them to not enforce the judgement, he's asking for them to accept a bond that is less than the full judgement, but still substantial, while the appeal is ongoing. Which sounds fair-ish to me given that he doesn't have total control over his finances, so it's not like he can just toss a $20 on the judge's desk and then get busy on moving the rest of his money to the Caymans or something.

Keep in mind one of the reasons this ruling even exists is the consistent and blatant lack of remorse or even acknowledgement of ANY wrongdoing on Trumps part. While there is a certain amount of logic to him paying less our brains want to accept, we also have to understand that given the opportunity Trump will attempt to pay as little as possible and tie this up for as long as he possibly can.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/molcranenewman/status/1762929475077980620

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Just for the record there's probably not a federal entity left that doesn't have a separately enclosed mailroom and procedures for these sorts of things- even if there are some inconsistent gaps in applying the associated policies.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 28, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Just for the record there's probably not a federal agency left that doesn't have a separately enclosed mailroom and procedures for these sorts of things- even if there are some inconsistent gaps in applying the associated policies.

I'd be wanting hazard pay if I have to open Engoron's mail every day

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Very funny to try to negotiate with the courts over your bond amount.

He should get exactly the same treatment any of us would, which is to say "Go talk to a bondsman." and when nobody will agree to give him this money, well, maybe don't do an entire lifetime of fraud and ripping people off and even more fraud.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

He should just ask Jared for a quick loan since he's got all that Dubai money now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cimber posted:

He has been found factually guilty of fraud. Not a lawyer, but I have heard it is very very rare for an appeals court to overturn findings of fact. At that point, he's supposed to be at risk of losing money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

unknown posted:

He should just ask Jared for a quick loan since he's got all that Dubai money now.

I know you're jesting but it's actually drat near impossible by any means to come up with half a billion in cash, legally or illegally, in 30 days.

There is no route by which he could get the money, that won't be scrutinized and subject to regulation, and he can't sell a building in less than 30 days, it's just not possible.