Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://x.com/BeardedGenius/status/1762444050093760761?s=20

Who'd have thought something called "Willy's Chocolate Experience" would turn out to not be a place you'd want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
wendys needs to change its fries back to how they were in the 90-00's if they're going to charge more.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Brawnfire posted:

In France they call that a Battle Royale with cheese

:golfclap:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Phanatic posted:

Who'd have thought something called "Willy's Chocolate Experience" would turn out to not be a place you'd want to go.

Naturally this tweet is all over my PYF bookmarks, but this is probably the best place to posit my question:

If the organizers/"artists" had put a disclaimer on the bottom in miniscule print '"artist rendition", like how packaged food says "serving suggestion" or car brands have entire novellas in print on the bottom of their TV ads to cover their butts ---- could they have just tapped that and gotten away with not refunding?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Yer man running this is becoming known around Glasgow as a bit of a serial scammer, his name's Billy Coull, and he ran an apparently slightly dodgy foodbank charity on the southside of the city a few years back, that got loads of publicity and donations during lockdown, but a lot of the money did not seem to be accurately accounted for afterwards.

Perhaps simple mismanagement from an inexperienced do-gooder, but looking at this project, and at the two-dozen AI-generated books he is the "author" of on Amazon...perhaps it's a good thing he's getting exposed, soundly mocked and ripped to shreds by annoyed Glaswegian grandmothers before he manages to embark on anything larger and potentially more damaging.

Irisi has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Feb 27, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i think we should let him have a go at submarine tours

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tumblr ball pit energy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Naturally this tweet is all over my PYF bookmarks, but this is probably the best place to posit my question:

If the organizers/"artists" had put a disclaimer on the bottom in miniscule print '"artist rendition", like how packaged food says "serving suggestion" or car brands have entire novellas in print on the bottom of their TV ads to cover their butts ---- could they have just tapped that and gotten away with not refunding?
Yeah, to be clear, the cherry on the poo poo sundae is there's no "artist" involved anywhere here - it's all AI garbage.

https://twitter.com/DuttyMoonshine/status/1762206382663582115

Who doesn't want to go to a chocolate eperience?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, to be clear, the cherry on the poo poo sundae is there's no "artist" involved anywhere here - it's all AI garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGvmTilFG0I

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Haifisch posted:

I'm more interested in the GLICOLLAπ EXPDO16IVGE near the Dali-esque Ferris wheel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems like a good way to get your kneecaps broken by Oompa Loompas.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Phanatic posted:

The Glasgow Willy Wonka sounds like either a gross sex thing, or a way to murder someone.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I remember the Sam's Choice soda machine outside the Wal-Mart was only 25 cents in the mid yo late 90's.

Loved the Sam's Grape, no idea why I liked it more than "name brand" grape sodas. I'm sure if I had ANY grape soda now, let alone a Sam's Choice one, I'd find it sickeningly sweet and cloying.

I remember when Safeway upped the prices for their house brand soda from $0.25 to $0.35, like I gotta start carrying dimes around for my refreshing beverage-cum-weedpipe?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Brawnfire posted:

At the very least they should get the stars and lasers background

:hmmyes:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1762880028516474885

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems like a good way to get your kneecaps broken by Oompa Loompas.

Well, in fairness they can't reach any higher.

You know, I'm honestly not sure this *is* backtracking. First, the "surge pricing" characterization came from after-the-fact reporting, which is uniformly not trustable. Second, the idea of a *fast food restaurant* charging more during peak hours is really a dumb idea. Granted, this entire thread is devoted to really dumb ideas which people decided to implement, but this one is a dumbness outlier even in that context, because it's such a competitive market and it's not like Wendy's is the only fast food restaurant that *any single person* has access to, and the products are pretty indistinguishable. As someone said upthread "Hrm, where should I go for lunch? The fast food restaurant that jacks up prices during lunch, or the ones that don't do that?" It would instantly kill off traffic unless their competitors also did it instead of saying "poo poo, let's put Wendy's out of business. And *then* do it."

He did say "dynamic pricing," but that's not necessarily the same thing; we're in an economy right now where prices for certain things are way swingier than normal (e.g., eggs, which went up hugely partly because of supply chain disruptions, partly because of inflation, partly because of having to cull millions of birds for disease control, but for which prices have mostly recovered). It's possible they're telling the truth and the entire point was to be able to change prices in order to adjust for rapidly-changing input costs. Sort of like highway speed limits that adjust for weather or how prices in menus in Argentina are written in pencil because inflation's so high.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Feb 28, 2024

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Phanatic posted:

You know, I'm honestly not sure this *is* backtracking. First, the "surge pricing" characterization came from after-the-fact reporting, which is uniformly not trustable. Second, the idea of a *fast food restaurant* charging more during peak hours is really a dumb idea...

Good point, after all it's impossible for the CEO for a major corporation to be both greedy and stupid, and capitalism has absolutely never sacrificed long-term viability at the expense of short-term profit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Look, when I said “final solution” I clearly meant the last thing we decided on Friday before going home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

You know, I'm honestly not sure this *is* backtracking. First, the "surge pricing" characterization came from after-the-fact reporting, which is uniformly not trustable. Second, the idea of a *fast food restaurant* charging more during peak hours is really a dumb idea. Granted, this entire thread is devoted to really dumb ideas which people decided to implement, but this one is a dumbness outlier even in that context, because it's such a competitive market and it's not like Wendy's is the only fast food restaurant that *any single person* has access to, and the products are pretty indistinguishable. As someone said upthread "Hrm, where should I go for lunch? The fast food restaurant that jacks up prices during lunch, or the ones that don't do that?" It would instantly kill off traffic unless their competitors also did it instead of saying "poo poo, let's put Wendy's out of business. And *then* do it."

He did say "dynamic pricing," but that's not necessarily the same thing; we're in an economy right now where prices for certain things are way swingier than normal (e.g., eggs, which went up hugely partly because of supply chain disruptions, partly because of inflation, partly because of having to cull millions of birds for disease control, but for which prices have mostly recovered). It's possible they're telling the truth and the entire point was to be able to change prices in order to adjust for rapidly-changing input costs. Sort of like highway speed limits that adjust for weather or how prices in menus in Argentina are written in pencil because inflation's so high.

They mentioned specifically 'things getting cheaper during slow periods of the day.' It was 100% what they intended, they just didn't expect the backlash.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fantastic. That's way better than they get in reality. Astronauts should be given the ability to choose their school photo day background. They kind of earned it imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the thing about the food getting cheaper is bullshit. It's going to get $5 more expensive, 15 cents cheaper. Don't let them do any version of this idea

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Also the thing about the food getting cheaper is bullshit. It's going to get $5 more expensive, 15 cents cheaper. Don't let them do any version of this idea

Yeah, the "food gets cheaper" thing comes with an unsaid "but also more expensive at busier times." Even if the more expensive is the 'base price', that just means they'll jack up the base price and then use the lower pricing as a "see, it's on sale"

It's just the food version of "This cost $50 last weel, but this week is costs $100 and is on a 50% discount so it's $50, what a bargain"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There’s no way they wouldn’t bump prices by 20% and lower them by 20% off peak. The public was right to cause a fuss over this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

You could give her a backdrop of dinosaurs on skateboards brandishing polearms and Mae Jemison would still be the coolest part of the picture

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Phanatic posted:

Willy Wonka’s Fyre Festival

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

Don't let them do any version of this idea
How would you recommend we stop them?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Sounds like we did.

Good work everyone.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Phanatic posted:

That could make sense if they were altering prices on a daily/weekly/monthly basis but there's no economic rationale for changing prices during business hours apart from squeezing customers. Plus fast food restaurants have a complex supply chain with pre-negotiated agreements with their upstream suppliers. So costs don't change significantly day-to-day

Real-time price adjustments for gas is an established practice. That's a lot easier because we're only tracking the price of one specific commodity.

The gas station example opens a can of worms though. Wendy's stores are franchised. So this would have the side-effect of squeezing poorly performing stores out of the market, as their owners' margins are hit harder than others depending on the price changes. ...or they could entirely adopt the gas station model in which store owners adjust their own prices, based on costs and the pricing of competitors. Essentially making individual Wendy's stores compete against each other. Basically, the operators of Wendy's franchises probably hated this change as much as consumers did.

This is actually a really interesting experiment but I suspect it would have run into a lot of unforeseen consequences.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Feb 29, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

I'd argue in good faith for one, jackass.

But aside from that: I'd say the thing that's currently working. Y'know, spreading awareness of how much you hate them and won't go there. Continuing to propogate media about how much they suck and how public opinion decries this decision. It's actually kinda awesome how quickly they were forced to respond to that so keep it up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Kids like meat that's shaped like stuff, right? How do we make something easter-themed with meat?

Dear Delhaize/Food Lion: Not like this. Not like this.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Let's just throw some chocolate in the package with the raw meat, that sounds reasonable.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

should be foil-wrapped meatballs instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would absolutely get that cursed nonsense. It’s fun

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Taking the plastic off and tossing something in the oven is the easiest meal there is and that's perfect.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Taking the plastic off and tossing something in the oven is the easiest meal there is and that's perfect.

Why even take off the plastic?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fishstick posted:

Kids like meat that's shaped like stuff, right? How do we make something easter-themed with meat?

Dear Delhaize/Food Lion: Not like this. Not like this.

What's the torso, like a pre-breaded patty of something? And are those raisins on it?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
looks like a chicken schnitzel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is that foil‐wrapped chocolate? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007