Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sniped from firefox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Quackles posted:

I am informed that Apple's bug-fixing process is a bit dysfunctional - if the bug is not 'a regression' (i.e. a bug that appeared recently), they will ignore it.

That seems like an awfully strange way to say 'Firefox'.
Just told by our parent org that Firefox is like ultra banned except for lab situations, because they don't have the means to manage updates.

I'm annoyed that we can allow users to install a managed version of FF from Mosyle MDM but Mosyle also can't prevent non-managed versions from running. FFS.

I may resort to just installing it to everyone so yay ... it's managed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just stick a policies.json file on everyone's computer.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-policiesjson

smr
Dec 18, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m extremely confused about why something as pointless and inane as a favicon has inspired such vitriol.

Not my fault you can’t understand that others might use computers in different ways than you personally do.

Apple’s whole fuckin’ premise is “it just works” “we’re the elegant, aesthetic choice” which bombs right out the loving toilet when my tab bar is a mix of proper favicons and big dumb capital letters that should be favicons. I start at this goddamned app all day and would like it to work as Apple itself advertises that it should.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

smr posted:

I start at this goddamned app all day and would like it to work as Apple itself advertises that it should.

Think different

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Capital letters? Luxury! Half of my Safari tabs and bookmarks end up displaying favicons from some other random website instead

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
What do you even need favicons for, the browser has its own built in expose` if you can't tell what any of your entirely too many tabs are.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TACD posted:

Capital letters? Luxury! Half of my Safari tabs and bookmarks end up displaying favicons from some other random website instead

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I used safari for a bit recently and was annoyed daily that my pinned gmail tab would show I had a message but didn't since the favicon didn't update.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Arc owns now, is just as good on battery as safari, sometimes better depending on the web app

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Go share that in the NCAA thread if you haven’t already. We adore punting.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I tried Safari for several months and gave up, it just kept breaking on too many websites, anchoring didn't work, I really couldn't figure out the whole "tab groups" thing, and plugins/extensions are annoying.

I tried Arc a few months ago after resisting for a bit due to the requirement to sign up for an account. It absolutely ate poo poo on a lot of sites on me in ways I can't even begin to explain (as if the tabs weren't loading and/or constantly reloading while forgetting their state) but I'm also excited to see someone doing something innovative in the space so I do plan on trying it again.

Since then I've been trying FF again and it's generally been much better than Safari but random websites just decide to not work with it so I've had to keep Chrome around for those one-off cases. Thankfully it's mostly just crappy sites I don't normally need to worry about eg signing up for my new electricity provider.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve had a few instances of stuff not working on Arc which is surprising as it’s just Chromium like pretty much everything else.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Warbird posted:

I’ve had a few instances of stuff not working on Arc which is surprising as it’s just Chromium like pretty much everything else.

When I first installed it, YouTube of all things didn't work for me. Video just would not play. A patch sorted that out after a day or so though IIRC.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cold on a Cob posted:

When I first installed it, YouTube of all things didn't work for me. Video just would not play. A patch sorted that out after a day or so though IIRC.

Was it maybe just bad timing with the YouTube/ad block stuff that was happening?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
They were patching/fixing Arc pretty rapidly, and still do so once a week - I haven't had any websites or web apps fail or crash or anything like that. They've just moved the renderer to Metal, which should supposedly make things feel smoother. Battery consumption is also a non-issue now. It's a good time to use it!

I use Google office suite for work, and I feel like it's better with battery consumption than safari with Google apps. I don't know if this is because of the Chromium base?

I sometimes switch back to safari when I need to use the Apple ecosystem stuff that they wall off - Airplay being the main one!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

101 posted:

Was it maybe just bad timing with the YouTube/ad block stuff that was happening?

i have youtube premium, but maybe. i chalked it up to beta issues at the time but either way i am going to try it again

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just spent ten minutes trying Arc again, couldn't figure out how to disable autoplay video. Also, ⌘W closes the entire window instead of the current tab :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Clark Nova posted:

Just spent ten minutes trying Arc again, couldn't figure out how to disable autoplay video. Also, ⌘W closes the entire window instead of the current tab :argh:

I don't think it includes anything extra around autoplay. Just whatever chromium does.

⌘W definitely closes tabs, though. Close window is when you have shift held down.

Edit: Maybe I changed the shortcut, but I don't think so.
Settings > Shortcuts allows you to customise a lot

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, you're right, I don't know what I did, I was either holding shift or crashed it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Lord Bude posted:

If you’ve got 80 tabs open you have far bigger problems than missing favicons. And at that point you really ought to have a better system for organising your tabs.

I probably have about that many open at the moment, Safari tab groups are great and it’s easy to fly around and everything being synced across all my machines and my phone? Fantastic. Especially having the standard tab group being per device rather than synced, so I can keep things separate as needed.

There is a bug that kicks in and will wipe or clone a group into another for some reason that is super aggravating when it happens. It’s fairly rare but drat.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Work upgraded me from a really creaky thinkpad (I had no idea the quality of this product line dipped so hard) to a MacBook pro. It’s lovely and I’m excited and such but I have 2 q’s:

1)Is there a free/low cost application that allows me to snap windows to halves of the screen like on windows?

2)when using a mouse, is there a way to remove that weird inertial scroll? I scroll a lot and it would be nice to not have to “rev it up” before getting big scrolls?

Many thanks

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
https://rectangleapp.com/ and https://macmousefix.com/ should do it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

buglord posted:

1)Is there a free/low cost application that allows me to snap windows to halves of the screen like on windows?

I use BetterSnapTool

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Raycast comes with window management and is also just generally one of the most useful tools you can install on your Mac.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I paid for Steermouse like 8 or 10 years ago and I've been happily using it ever since to simply turn off the acceleration on both the scrollwheel and the pointer. Does macmousefix cover that case nowadays?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

buglord posted:

My vote is for Swish, the trackpad gesture support is fantastic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does Swish (or another app) allow me to 3/4 finger swipe between windows/apps and not desktops? That's the feature I'm really looking for.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What do you mean swipe between? Like alt+tab application switcher? In any event BetterTouchTool can probably do anything you want.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

American McGay posted:

What do you mean swipe between? Like alt+tab application switcher? In any event BetterTouchTool can probably do anything you want.

The behavior I'd most closely like to mimic (understanding that the convention isn't the same between them) is three-finger swiping on my iPad Pro using the Magic Keyboard trackpad. It cycles through the various apps. If I could do that between apps on macOS, or maybe windows with a modifier key/more fingers, that'd just be amazing.

I'll check out if BTT can do that or not.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Powered Descent posted:

I paid for Steermouse like 8 or 10 years ago and I've been happily using it ever since to simply turn off the acceleration on both the scrollwheel and the pointer. Does macmousefix cover that case nowadays?

Yeah SteerMouse is rock solid. Set it and forget it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ended up grabbing these two. Many thanks! It’s not my first rodeo in macOS but I have to wonder if fully surrendering to the Apple way of computing actually provides a better experience or if all the Apple engineers have these tools running on their own work/home machines and use MX Master mice instead of the Magic Mouse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

The behavior I'd most closely like to mimic (understanding that the convention isn't the same between them) is three-finger swiping on my iPad Pro using the Magic Keyboard trackpad. It cycles through the various apps. If I could do that between apps on macOS, or maybe windows with a modifier key/more fingers, that'd just be amazing.

I'll check out if BTT can do that or not.

You can use the stock three-finger as long as you full screen your apps or put them on separate spaces. Basically think of your Mac as a big fancy iPad.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

buglord posted:

Ended up grabbing these two. Many thanks! It’s not my first rodeo in macOS but I have to wonder if fully surrendering to the Apple way of computing actually provides a better experience or if all the Apple engineers have these tools running on their own work/home machines and use MX Master mice instead of the Magic Mouse.

The Magic Mouse is loving awful, I don't understand how people use it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It didn't bother me at all ergonomically and I really enjoyed the gestures + btt. :shobon:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

prom candy posted:

The Magic Mouse is loving awful, I don't understand how people use it.

I’ll co-sign this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
One thing that’s useful to adapt to coming from windows is that while a mouse is certainly required for specific use cases, the Mac trackpad is vastly better than anything available to windows users and for general computing it’s fantastic. There are all sorts of gestures that are helpful to know.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hate the magic mouse. Coworker uses it with this thing though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
iMouse or whatever sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
we had the hockey puck mouse when I was a kid and i didn't think it was so bad, but i had smaller hands back then. i've only tried the magic mouse in stores and you could not pay me to daily it