Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I laughed when I saw Shogun and clicked the read more link and it was of course about Europeans showing up. I'll check it out after the positive reception here but I initially wrote it off as probably more The Last Samurai type stuff.

It's based on actual historical events and much more focused on the internal Japanese politics and power players. It's not nearly as bad as last samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I laughed when I saw Shogun and clicked the read more link and it was of course about Europeans showing up. I'll check it out after the positive reception here but I initially wrote it off as probably more The Last Samurai type stuff.
I haven't read the original book, but it sounds like it is less of a "white savior" story than I would have expected before starting to watch the show.

Also, I assume the book is 100% from the point of view of Blackthorne, but because the tv show spends a lot of time on other characters, based on the first two episodes it feels more like he's just one one of three or four main characters, and although the show opens with him, it doesn't particularly feel like it is necessarily presenting things from his point view.

It is also interesting because most viewers nowadays will probably have seen a fair amount of movies set in feudal Japan, so the European politics of the time that are described if anything seem more alien than that, which makes some of the European characters not necessarily seem that relatable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All good to hear. I think I'd like Tokyo Vice just haven't sat down for subtitle action in a long time.

On the other end of media spectrum I watched The Floor gameshow. Seems like they can film an entire "season" in a single day and if you cut out the banter it would be 30 minutes long.

Strategy-wise it seems like your best bet is to avoid being chosen as long as possible, snag a niche category everyone else is worse at, and get lucky in the very final turns. The winner only went up twice, once in the middle and then at the very end.

I thought million dollar gameshow prizes would've had to keep going up over time, but seems like it's actually pretty rare to get that high. Stands to reason if these shows aren't their moneymakers anymore then skimp out even more on the prize money taken out of production. I don't wonder how they settle on the prize figure if in the end the amount probably doesn't matter, just that something is won and that it's less than producing any kind of scripted creative content.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The kids gameshow Legends of the Hidden Temple actually had to try and rig things behind the scenes because they couldn't afford to pay out too many grand prizes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

He is from Ohm-uh-haw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The kids gameshow Legends of the Hidden Temple actually had to try and rig things behind the scenes because they couldn't afford to pay out too many grand prizes.

I wonder how many times I watched thinking the kids were just duds but really it was shrewd producers rigging the game against children.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

I wonder how many times I watched thinking the kids were just duds but really it was shrewd producers rigging the game against children.

On the other hand, they also kept loving up a three piece puzzle, so

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did they or were the misters and fog machines filled with chemicals to induce brain fog?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Just watched the first episode of Shogun. Not a huge surprise why it is getting rave reviews but what really blew my mind was that Rodrigues was played by Nestor Carbonell.

WELP. Now I'm even more excited to start the show. I did not realize that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

They didn't even have to be that clever about it. If any kids started getting ahead on the final run, they could just have a temple guard jump out and capture them at any time. It was completely rigged right out in the open.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This sounds a lot like the Carmen Sandiego final challenge that was basically physically impossible to do in the time alotted.

E: I guess not as bad since there weren't literal adults restraining the kids on that show like the temple guards

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

They didn't even have to be that clever about it. If any kids started getting ahead on the final run, they could just have a temple guard jump out and capture them at any time. It was completely rigged right out in the open.

There's only three temple guards and if the kids get both safety medallions in the first part of the show they can't lose that way, it would only be a time issue. I've watched waaaayyyy too much legends of the hidden temple as a child, also wild and crazy kids, which I would have killed someone to be on.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 28, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Squid Game but it's about Legend of the Hidden Temple, and it's an actual documentary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762912106700034118

Looks like all that improv work with Steven Merchant and Gervais paid off

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jon Hamm would have done a better job.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's only three temple guards and if the kids get both safety medallions in the first part of the show they can't lose that way, it would only be a time issue. I've watched waaaayyyy too much legends of the hidden temple as a child, also wild and crazy kids, which I would have killed someone to be on.

Sure, but if I remember correctly, those safety medallions are hard to get (at least, I remember most teams didn't win both of them). And with 3 guards, and only 2 kids, even with both medallions, you could still lose one kid and be scrambling. Sure, it was still possible to win, but you'd have to run the table, so to speak.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Jon Hamm would have done a better job.

God yes, I can see Hamm doing a fantastic job in that role.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

God yes, I can see Hamm doing a fantastic job in that role.

He already did Fletch. Was that considered successful?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

thrawn527 posted:

He already did Fletch. Was that considered successful?

No. Right in the middle of covid. It bombed. I loving love that movie though. I thought he was fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Richard Lewis died.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still haven't seen it, and I should rectify that, but I didn't even know it existed let alone had come out until sometime last year, it's existence came as a complete shock to me.

zoux posted:

Richard Lewis died.

Oh poo poo. He was really starting to show his age but he still seemed pretty mentally sharp, this comes as an unpleasant surprise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I almost feel like part of this joke is how "Liam Neeson" flows the same as "Leslie Nielsen".

Airplane! reboot would have been better, especially after Boeing and all the changes there have been to air travel since then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I still haven't seen it, and I should rectify that, but I didn't even know it existed let alone had come out until sometime last year, it's existence came as a complete shock to me.

Oh poo poo. He was really starting to show his age but he still seemed pretty mentally sharp, this comes as an unpleasant surprise.

He announced he had Parkinson's last year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Apple's Neuromancer is actually happening.

..from the Jack Ryan guy. lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

zoux posted:

He announced he had Parkinson's last year.

I didn't know that, gently caress :smith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

zoux posted:

Richard Lewis died.

pouring out a boku in his memory

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, but if I remember correctly, those safety medallions are hard to get (at least, I remember most teams didn't win both of them). And with 3 guards, and only 2 kids, even with both medallions, you could still lose one kid and be scrambling. Sure, it was still possible to win, but you'd have to run the table, so to speak.

The team had to sweep in the challenges segment of the show, which was pretty possible to do if they were coordinated and paid attention during the Olmec story segment. I say this as a porky child of the 80s watching the show in the afternoon after getting home from school so I'm sure it was more of a challenge than it seemed as a viewer but it happened often enough.

These strategies also followed over into the reboot from a few years back with adults doing it, which was pretty funny watching some people completely biff it on the physical challenges.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

IRQ posted:

This sounds a lot like the Carmen Sandiego final challenge that was basically physically impossible to do in the time alotted.

E: I guess not as bad since there weren't literal adults restraining the kids on that show like the temple guards

It's not physically impossible, you just have to really know geography. There are videos of a few kids who were able to put all the beacons down. It's just a matter of if you get decent clues or not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It was only one of the maps, someone did the math a few years back and the distance made it nearly impossible. Probably Africa or South America.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

GreenNight posted:

No. Right in the middle of covid. It bombed. I loving love that movie though. I thought he was fantastic.

Fletch was great. Short, fun, uncomplicated. When my wife and I leave an Uber we have to resist the urge to just shout “5 stars!”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Apple TV killing it with the scifi

quote:

Apple TV+ has reportedly ordered a ten-episode TV series adaptation of William Gibson’s iconic sci-fi novel “Neuromancer” which is set up at Skydance Television and Anonymous Content.

The ten-episode series hails from co-creators Graham Roland (“Dark Winds,” “Jack Ryan”) and JD Dillard (“Sleight,” “The Outsider”), with Roland serving as showrunner and Dillard directing the pilot. Both executive produce.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I wait to see how it actually turns out.

AppleTV+ may be churning out genre TV, but it doesn't really have a great hit ratio.

For every "For All Mankind" there's "Invasion." For every "Foundation Season 2" there's "Foundation Season 1". For every "Severance" there's "Constellation."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Constellation isn't over yet, we don't know if it's bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm glad that they're at least trying to make sci-fi shows even if they aren't always successful. Right now apple+ is pouring tons of money into original shows and if it ends up failing there may not be much other chance to try to make stuff like this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Apple TV killing it with the scifi

Yeah, that's been posted. Literally this page.

It's by the guy who wrote the "stop a rapists with a drone strike" scene from Jack Ryan, so I'm not holding my breath.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn’t the Neuromancer news come out last year? There was a fake poster doing the rounds along with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn’t the Neuromancer news come out last year? There was a fake poster doing the rounds along with it.

It was entirely fake IIRC, though this might have spurred interest in a legit adaptation, who knows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

David Dastmalchian has joined the cast of Apple's Murderbot Diaries tv show. He's playing on of the crew that Murderbot is contracted to protect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mystes posted:

Right now apple+ is pouring tons of money into original shows and if it ends up failing there may not be much other chance to try to make stuff like this.

Even Apple is starting to pull back on budgets. That's one of the reasons for the delay in production of Season 3 of Foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

It was entirely fake IIRC, though this might have spurred interest in a legit adaptation, who knows.

Same show runner listed, so looks like a legitimate leak.