Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/physicalmedia_/status/1762586832146145355?s=46
Isn’t confirmed but it came from an interview with the sound editor
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=371600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Lol

https://twitter.com/physicalmedia_/status/1762573456670105963?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Just press more, you got $40 a pop for them the first time right? Does Universal hate money?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Well, that's one of my dream releases. Fantastic news.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Saw this on facebook and thought about this thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hey.

I don't like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s what you all look like inside

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This will be me when my friend in LA gets in touch with James Bennett and gets VS to release Fatal Deviation through Degausser Video.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont know what that is but I'll buy it

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion's next flash sale will be this Tuesday, the 27th. $10-off certs have been mailed out to Channel subscribers as usual. If you're somehow new to Criterion's flash sales, they have all in-stock and in-print discs at 50%-off MSRP for 24 hours, usually starting noon.

Thanks for this!

Got:
Harakiri
Kwaidan
The Naked Island
Godzilla
Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Double Suicide
Barry Lyndon
Police Story/Police Story 2

Missed out on the Showa-Era Godzilla films box set. Going to keep an eye on it for the B&N sale next fall.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1762868433496985969

PT BARNUM SAID IT SO LONG AGO
THERE'S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE (boutique 4k collectors)
NOW YOU KNOW

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think I spent like $6 on my current Killer Klowns blu ray so I'm more than happy to upgrade.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont even own it on blu-ray, but I'm ready to own it on 4K.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I see Killer Klowns showing up on almost all of the "most requested 4k" lists. That's a huge title for Scream Factory to get. I was pretty certain that Arrow would be the ones to release that movie, maybe Vinegar Syndrome.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Ghost Cactus posted:

Missed out on the Showa-Era Godzilla films box set. Going to keep an eye on it for the B&N sale next fall.

fwiw with 30 minutes left it's back in stock right now

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lumbermouth posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1762868433496985969

PT BARNUM SAID IT SO LONG AGO
THERE'S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE (boutique 4k collectors)
NOW YOU KNOW

My wife is the sucker that will demand I buy this for her. I am the sucker that will actually spend the money on it, though.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

ringu0 posted:

fwiw with 30 minutes left it's back in stock right now

Thanks! I was too slow and missed it again. :(

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Blind bought the 4K of McCabe & Mrs. Miller after seeing some people rave about it. The only Altman I’ve seen is Popeye. Let’s go!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
You should watch Gosford Park.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I bought the Arrow Killer Klowns Blu years ago, one of the very first non-Criterion boutique Blus in my collection, along with Cabin Boy. I've since watched it once? Maybe twice? I'm good on that. It's a real beauty too, with a foil slip and a nice booklet. Shout! ain't gonna have no booklet.

DrFlamingo
Apr 9, 2023
Altman may be my favorite director at the moment. I'm still working my way through his filmography but I've loved everything I've watched of his so far. I've not seen Popeye yet though...

I too blind bought the McCabe & Mrs. Miller 4k in the flash sale. Was excited to hear so many of you thought it was well done.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tesh posted:

Blind bought the 4K of McCabe & Mrs. Miller after seeing some people rave about it. The only Altman I’ve seen is Popeye. Let’s go!

Highly recommend The Long Goodbye

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pwn posted:

I bought the Arrow Killer Klowns Blu years ago, one of the very first non-Criterion boutique Blus in my collection, along with Cabin Boy. I've since watched it once? Maybe twice? I'm good on that. It's a real beauty too, with a foil slip and a nice booklet. Shout! ain't gonna have no booklet.

My thoughts here too.

But I’m glad those who missed that one will get a cool release

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://x.com/wario64/status/1763022119825236151?s=46

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I drove past a pawn shop the other day, and, remembering that time someone itt found a bunch of cheap Arrow blurays in a pawn shop, I poked my head inside to see if there was anything good.

There weren't any Arrow blurays, but I did find... whatever this is. Half the title is unreadable because of the weird font, and there's no other information anywhere on the packaging. But judging from the pictures it's some kind of stop motion animation race movie?

That was the only thing I really wanted, but the DVDs weren't priced individually, there was just a sign that said "DVDs: 15 for 5$" so I bought 14 other movies

My to-watch stack was already out of control, now it's just stupid.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sold out

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

If that's pinchcliffe grand prix that movie rules

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Parallax posted:

If that's pinchcliffe grand prix that movie rules

From an image search I'd say that's definitely what it is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I drove past a pawn shop the other day, and, remembering that time someone itt found a bunch of cheap Arrow blurays in a pawn shop, I poked my head inside to see if there was anything good.

There weren't any Arrow blurays, but I did find... whatever this is. Half the title is unreadable because of the weird font, and there's no other information anywhere on the packaging. But judging from the pictures it's some kind of stop motion animation race movie?

That was the only thing I really wanted, but the DVDs weren't priced individually, there was just a sign that said "DVDs: 15 for 5$" so I bought 14 other movies

My to-watch stack was already out of control, now it's just stupid.

Pawn shops are a great way to get DVDs for nothing.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
DVDs for nothing and your slips for free

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Cauldron Films' The Houses of Doom Fulci / Lenzi boxset is up for pre-order at their website and Diabolik. Four movies (The House of Clocks, The Sweet House of Horrors, The House of Lost Souls and The House of Witchcraft) and two CDs with the soundtracks. If you're like me and have bad taste in entertainment and hate having money in your bank account, don't sleep on this set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

buying a dvd makes me feel icky

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CelticPredator posted:

i'm really getting nervous that I see new releases coming out on DVD only, no HD at all

A lot of brick and mortar stores that used to sell Blu-ray are pivoting to DVD only as well, Walmart especially

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Criterion should be the first to stop putting out new releases on anything less than Blu-ray.

Perhaps others will follow.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah me too. Even buying Blu-ray feels like I’m shortchanging myself if 4K is on the table unless the reviews for the 4K aren’t hot. Like I bought my 4K tv and player on purpose, I want to maximize their use.

But yeah the only way I’ll buy a DVD these days is if I have no option for a higher quality format.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I only get DVDs if it’s the only option or if I’m trying to hit the 15 DVD minimum purchase.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I couldn’t buy one dvd. It’s like looking at a screen of garbage. At least with vcr there’s a charm to it’s out of dateness .

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I couldn’t buy one dvd. It’s like looking at a screen of garbage. At least with vcr there’s a charm to it’s out of dateness .

That seems wild to me. Like the guy who said PS3 games had unplayably bad graphics. It’s fine. Nicer is better but it’s really fine.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My return came in and I panic-bought the Paprika UHD steelbook. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous. Tons of imagery from the film all across both sides, and big art of Paprika on the front and Atsuko on the back, which is reflected on the discs. The inside has original art as well. Great purchase.

Now the only Satoshi Kon movie with no steelbook release is Tokyo Godfathers.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

That seems wild to me. Like the guy who said PS3 games had unplayably bad graphics. It’s fine. Nicer is better but it’s really fine.

Yeah I have the opposite problem. I see little charm with VHS. I grew up with it and still have hundreds (plural) of home-recorded tapes left to digitize, and I hate this goddamned format's frailties and idiosyncrasies. This week, I did finally get a new remote for my JVC S-VHS deck, replacing the one I got with it back in November 1999 that stopped working a few years back.

It is nice to not have to hover over the VCR when riding the tracking on an old SNL tape I'm transferring into the digital realm.

But yeah I am very cognizant of how much better DVD looks compared to its predecessor and the last DVD I watched, The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, I wish had been released on Blu by GKIDS in the States, but I'm happy to have it at all. And a well-mastered disc, with a full 8+ MBps bitstream, can look fantastic.

Also, here are my current remotes that are used regularly

LEFT TO RIGHT: ROKU, TV, TUNER DVR, VCR, DVD RECORDER, SPEAKERS, PS3

Post your remotes :q:

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The last DVDs I bought was the latest RiffTrax lunchbox, and I don’t see there being a large demand for higher-quality physical media from them.