Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The Paradox Tinto (EU4) studio manager is starting to get feedback on <unannounced game>

You've got to imagine this basically has to be a soft announcement of EU5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm ready for Anbennar 2

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is that the Crusader Kings 2 or the Victoria 2 mod?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mfcrocker posted:

The Paradox Tinto (EU4) studio manager is starting to get feedback on <unannounced game>

I do think it's time, and that EU5 could do a lot of things better with the proper under-the-hood work. Hopefully they'll handle things better than they did with CK3. In their defense, that was really the first time they made a sequel to a "new model" Paradox title. I'm not surprised they dropped the ball a bit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the 3-minute version of trade is:

Prefer conquering centers of trade when possible; build trade buildings in them and upgrade the center when you have the money. If it's in a different subcontinent than your capital, put a trade company into the centers of trade to get extra merchants

In the trade map mode, you'll see trade nodes like this:

I have 66% control of the node. 4.1 ducats are staying in the node, filling the coffers of countries collecting there. 0.07 ducats are flowing north; 15.77 ducats are flowing south. You want trade to flow towards your capital. If you have good control in a node, but it isn't going the direction you want, slap a merchant down and tell them to transfer. If you have good control but can't make it flow to your capital, tell them to collect

That'll get you like 90% of the potential ducats in trade. There's a lot of fiddly details because it's eu4 so of course there are, but that's the core system.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Trade steering is some seriously annoying poo poo, especially because there's almost no passive trade steering and you don't have control over what little of it there is.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I do think it's time, and that EU5 could do a lot of things better with the proper under-the-hood work. Hopefully they'll handle things better than they did with CK3. In their defense, that was really the first time they made a sequel to a "new model" Paradox title. I'm not surprised they dropped the ball a bit.

CK3 is one of their best reviewed and most successful GSGs. Obviously that doesn’t mean any given person has to like it, but to frame it as something they wouldn’t want to recreate seems weird.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do I care about trade that's down stream of my capital CoT, and if I do what can I do about it?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Place a merchant to soak up whatever is leaking, but that might be a net loss instead of steering or collecting it somewhere else. Hopefully you're not leaking that much trade.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Two things: either place a merchant there to collect, or move your trade capital to a more convenient node. This is the button next to the one that moves your capital, and costs a few hundred diplo points

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lostconfused posted:

Trade steering is some seriously annoying poo poo, especially because there's almost no passive trade steering and you don't have control over what little of it there is.
Also Caravan Power. Yes I'm sure the merchants of the backwards, poor, tiny, and politically irrelevant nation of Kilwa are so skilled that they can pull 50% of the trade value from Doab into adjacent nodes just by sending a merchant there. I hate it so much.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
some nodes are just designed to be better than others (end nodes, for example) and by that I mean coastal trade nodes because they do not have caravan bonuses. So you are better off having your main node be in like North Sea/Lubeck/Baltic than Wien/Krakow/Saxony.
If any of you have ever played Austria youve probably seen the absurdity of dozens of little countries all receiving that flat caravan bonus for each nation, resulting in you struggling to get even 50 percent trade power in a node where you own every province and have bonused them all as much as possible.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do I care about trade that's down stream of my capital CoT, and if I do what can I do about it?

if your main node is a land node, the best you can do is consolidate all the trade power in your main node and then reduce the number of countries that exist downstream from you. If your main node is coastal, just throw lightships at it until it stops being cost effective
Also if you are fortunate enough to have only 1 or 2 other nations with a large percentage of the trade power in your node (and you can rival them), Embargoing will help a lot

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Anno posted:

CK3 is one of their best reviewed and most successful GSGs. Obviously that doesn’t mean any given person has to like it, but to frame it as something they wouldn’t want to recreate seems weird.

And maybe even more importantly, things would be in a far worse position now if they'd waited even longer and released even more CK2 dlc rather than biting the bullet and moving on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How do I know actually when I have too many light ships doing trade? Do I have to calculate the maint costs vs the amount of trade I'm making? I assume the number if tells me isn't very accurate or doesn't tell me the whole picture?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also dont be afraid to move your merchants around to see what's giving you the most trade income. It only costs a month in time to do.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Raenir Salazar posted:

How do I know actually when I have too many light ships doing trade? Do I have to calculate the maint costs vs the amount of trade I'm making? I assume the number if tells me isn't very accurate or doesn't tell me the whole picture?

this is generally less a trade issue than it is a naval limit issue. If you have enough heavies/galleys to win any likely upcoming naval wars, enough transports to not hate yourself for landings, go ahead and use the rest of your naval limit/how much you can afford to spend on ships (whichever is lower) in lights.

On a "how many per trade node thing" yeah the number lies so you kinda just have to move some around and see what makes you the most money. I usually aim for like, 70-75% of a node before I start sending off new ships downstream but genuinely I have no idea if that's the most effective

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

in the mission select interface, it'll tell you the profit of the mission:

(I have not looked at this fleet in a long time lol I had no idea it was wasting its time like this)

Though because it's eu4 trade, this is a bit misleading. It isn't actually telling you how much money you'll make; it's telling you how much more of the trade value you'll control. So if you're protecting trade in a node you collect in, it's directly added to your coffers; if you set them to protect in a node you're transferring in, that's how much trade value will be moved downstream into the next node.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was playing that game chill and lowbrain and hadn't looked at trade in ages; just increased my income by 60 ducats by moving two merchants and changing where the fleet was lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah I've played around with those numbers and it has never predicted accurately for me

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

at a certain point you’re paying for boats to take trade money away from your enemies too

the reliable trick is just to collect everywhere until you have control over a whole node and the node it flows into, collect in both nodes but only funnel into the first one

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Groke posted:

As someone who played both EU1 and EU2 extensively, EU2 was by far the superior of those two.

Mostly, but 1492-1792 is the best time frame for an EU game prove me wrong

Furthermore: protecting trade, fighting pirates (theirs), and encouraging pirates (yours) were all pretty much the same thing in this era and should be the same boat mission

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 2, 2024

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

soviet elsa posted:

Mostly, but 1492-1792 is the best time frame for an EU game prove me wrong

Furthermore: protecting trade, fighting pirates (theirs), and encouraging pirates (yours) were all pretty much the same thing in this era and should be the same boat mission

Maybe even 1776 would be a better cut off point, so that it ends with the era of sort of world wars, but before the revolutions and colonial wars for independence.

Starting with the Old World already being in a contact with the New World solves a lot of problems.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1353-1688

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Are we just giving random date ranges now?

1420-1669

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Half-wit posted:

1420-1669

Mine's not random. Last appearance of the black death til the first liberal revolution.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Half-wit posted:

1420-1669

I believe you meant 1419

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, I just got Ryukyu to be the biggest power in China by like 1484. Without taking the Mandate of Heaven (yet) or really doing anything TOO cheesy. Just a bit of luck and a tiny bit of savescumming.

Started out with the normal noCB into Tibet and subsequent expansion there with a view towards doing the Tibetan horde thing. But after I'd completed my conquest of Kham, Ming started running into problems... unrest, low mandate (no, not the disaster, this was only 15 years or so into the game), more rebels, and then Oirat invaded and Ming were losing that war. And then Jianzhou and Korchin invaded also. So I noticed the Ming were out of dudes and saw an opportunity; dropped tributary status and attacked... only for enough war score to take a small handful of provinces near the Tibetan border, and a little cash and war reps.

Because: Those are Yi culture provinces right there, and if you are a monarchy of Yi culture and animist religion, you can just straight up take the Chinese Kingdom T1 reform. Which gets you the Unify China CB without needing the Mandate.

Now all this started a slower, softer Mingsplosion (separatist tags spawning one at a time from rebels, and only a tiny OPM Shun because Oirat and Korchin took most of their juicy provinces, and the other northern separatist tags revolted first). So I've spent a few years eating away at the splinter tags and by now own about half the subcontinent, medium-sized powers in the neighbourhood want to ally me, nobody wants to join a coalition, and I can mostly see my way to dismantling the alliance webs that have grown between the remaining Chinese kingdom tags. Also Oirat attacked Ming again and actually took the Mandate; but they are doomed because they have no key cities (and probably not enough Chinese cultures either). Soon enough I will own ALL of China and be able to either usurp or destroy the Mandate at will.

Am, in fact, at a bit of a loss as to what to do with this. Am still Animist so can change to almost any religion at the cost of 4 stability. Have only two or so full states (half-stating China for now) so can flip culture for pretty cheap. Could just go for consolidating China, taking the Mandate, and maybe go for a Hindu EoC world conquest. Could presumably STILL do the Tibetan horde thing, just backed by all the Chinese dev BEFORE becoming a horde. Could do something weirder.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mfcrocker posted:

Gonna laugh when it’s a new project and not EU5

Better luck next time lads

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Captain Oblivious posted:

That'd honestly be hilarious but also a huge PR problem

Which given recent trends with Paradox isn't out of the question

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dungeonland 2, you cowards! :argh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Captain Oblivious posted:

New DD makes that vanishingly unlikely imo

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-2-march-6th-2024.1626415/

Global map, probably "set in the past", can't be a Crusader Kings or a Victoria... and Tinto is the Johan/EU team. Not that I'd say no to an "Imperator 2: The Revenge of Imperator: Global in scope for some loving reason".

On another note, I am unspeakably horny for this loving map

I am slavering like a dog. I am fully gone.

e:

quote:

Project Caesar will have a warfare system that involving moving units in locations on the map.

Army micro haters BTFO

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 6, 2024

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I hope it at least has army automation from I:R. In that game it felt like devs were one step away from making every army autonomous if not controlled by your ruler, but they were cowards.

Automation is a solution that spells out gamedesign problem, but I don't know what else can you do on EU scale where you should both support being an Irish minor with 3k troops and world empire that has to transport troops between dozens of colonies and islands which makes any war with an equal power a dreadful prospect.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

europe, 1812:
"Shall we invade russia my liege"
"No that sounds really tedious"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Bad example, because you just gather 500k stack and click on Smolensk then on Moscow.

It's more like it's 1776 and I can't get bothered to micromanage troop transportation to beat some trash colony rebelling.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ha yeah you're right

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jay Rust posted:

europe, 1812:
"Shall we invade russia my liege"
"No that sounds really tedious"

well... ya

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last post made it seem like it was either eu5 or some curveball like a fantasy game. If it'd set in the real world, it's eu5 for sure. Especially since they bothered to put America on the map, which you wouldn't do for earlier periods

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A fantasy grand strategy game but set on a real world map? :stwoon:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Folks look at the colours. It's clearly a postapocalyptic game with technology regressing to medieval times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ilitarist posted:

I hope it at least has army automation from I:R. In that game it felt like devs were one step away from making every army autonomous if not controlled by your ruler, but they were cowards.

Automation is a solution that spells out gamedesign problem, but I don't know what else can you do on EU scale where you should both support being an Irish minor with 3k troops and world empire that has to transport troops between dozens of colonies and islands which makes any war with an equal power a dreadful prospect.

i loved the army automation in Imperator, especially paired with how characters could decide to gently caress off if they didn't like you + cohort loyalty to their generals. gimme Wallenstein just sorta loving around in Germany doing his own thing for euV