Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't remember if there was any point to having the name of the planet and the name of the guy mixed up. That came up for a reason, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Thirteen, knowing precisely where she’s going and deliberately gathering anti-Cyberman equipment, proves completely ineffective. Every other Doctor can successfully fight the Cybermen without knowing in advance they’re present. Also, in the final war where the Cybermen were finally defeated, there’s a huge Cybership full of intact Cybermen that nobody on either side noticed. (Also, I guess only humans were fighting on the other side? Where’s everybody else?)

One thing I’ll say about Chibnall, the Irish policeman story is made interesting by the fact that it gets us away from the rest of the plot for a while. But maybe don’t write an episode where the story that should be exciting is so boring that the viewers would rather watch a different show.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 12 Episode 9: Ascension of the Cybermen

Okay that's it, there's no way this episode happened. I would definitely remember flying Cyberman heads. This is some elaborate hoax, though to what end I'm not sure.

Kind of like the whole Chibnall era :haw:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Everyone loves the Fugitive Doctor and wants to know her story, so Chibnall provides an allegorical version of it where she's replaced with a white dude.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flight Bisque posted:

Okay that's it, there's no way this episode happened. I would definitely remember flying Cyberman heads. This is some elaborate hoax, though to what end I'm not sure.

Kind of like the whole Chibnall era :haw:

Most of the Chibnall write ups make me go, "What? I don't remember this episode!" followed by "Oh, yeah! Now I remember this bit. It was stupid as gently caress."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

2house2fly posted:

I don't remember if there was any point to having the name of the planet and the name of the guy mixed up. That came up for a reason, surely?

Nope, there's no reason for it other than to have a pointless "reveal" that it's a person's name.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

There is a lot of Chibnall that occasionally feels like, if you'll pardon the expression, "cargo culting" Doctor Who. Like, if my script includes these twists or big concepts or references or character beats, then that will make it an episode of Doctor Who, regardless of whether those make sense or have any narrative impact.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

getting really tired of jodie letting people sacrifice themselves on her behalf

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

getting really tired of jodie letting people sacrifice themselves on her behalf

This is such a tired Doctor Who cliche in general.

Oh poo poo, the story is ending and we don't have anything like a satisfying emotional climax. Time for a guest star to jump into the death ray chamber and save the universe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that I hate about sacrifices for Thirteen is that she always just lets it happen. Other Doctors usually need to be physically restrained to allow it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Coward posted:

There is a lot of Chibnall that occasionally feels like, if you'll pardon the expression, "cargo culting" Doctor Who. Like, if my script includes these twists or big concepts or references or character beats, then that will make it an episode of Doctor Who, regardless of whether those make sense or have any narrative impact.

Yeah, this is it exactly. Absolute encyclopedic knowledge of the Content of Doctor Who, zero artistic or emotional understanding of what makes Doctor Who actually appealing and interesting

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Coward posted:

Some of them are so incompetent they almost feel like they're "cargo culting" not just Doctor Who but television episodes as a whole. Things like the main plot of Can You Hear Me being resolved more than ten minutes before the end of the episode by a character who hasn't spoken in half an hour "literally conquering her fears" completely offscreen. Or Ghost Monument.

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that I hate about sacrifices for Thirteen is that she always just lets it happen. Other Doctors usually need to be physically restrained to allow it.

Twelve wouldn't stop trying to find grenades to jump on. Thirteen is relieved Old Guy is offering to take her place because she knows the show would be over if she actually did it.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, this is it exactly. Absolute encyclopedic knowledge of the Content of Doctor Who, zero artistic or emotional understanding of what makes Doctor Who actually appealing and interesting

If we really think about it, Chris Chibnall really made the perfect show for the kind of fan Ian Levine was, only to be spurned so cruelly for daring to cast a woman

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

The ones I remember are with Friends-like substitute titles.

The one where maybe Amazon is good actually.

The gang butcher historic civil rights movement.

The one where they kill a new species and the Doctor is mad because she wanted to do the final slaughtering using a different method.

The one where they planet of the apes climate change.

The one with the dogs.

The one where they eventually let Master ra ra rasputin.
I remember three-and-a-half out of seven, which sounded good until I realized I couldn't remember why Amazon was good, what else happened in the one with the dogs, or why The Master was Rasputin.

Like, at all. Nothing.

Coward posted:

There is a lot of Chibnall that occasionally feels like, if you'll pardon the expression, "cargo culting" Doctor Who.
While I'm with you that we need a new colloquial metaphor to express this very phenomenon, as the old one is just bananas racist, that's absolutely what was happening. He learned all of the wrong lessons from watching better showrunners.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Barry Foster posted:

Chibnall's run is like if ChatGPT wrote Doctor Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Well Manicured Man posted:

I KEEP SAYING THAT

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I did it...

I survived Chibnall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SirSamVimes posted:

I did it...

I survived Chibnall.

Welcome friend, come in out of the storm.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LividLiquid posted:

or why The Master was Rasputin.
Good news! No reason at all is given.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a reference to another TV show Darwan was on. That's all it is.

And possibly a Mathew Vaughan ripoff too, lmao.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Welcome friend, come in out of the Flux.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The last Chibnall episode has another joke I really like. He's got jokes every now and then.

DOCTOR: Everyone OK?

EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER ALL CRAMMED INTO THE TARDIS: [all talking at once, each one is mad or upset about something]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Ope. I do remember that now.

At least it was fun. We talk a lot about what a waste of two entire amazing Doctors those years were, but what a waste of a loving fantastic Master.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

2house2fly posted:

The reason was so they could do the Ra Ra Rasputin bit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Nah, ChatGPT would’ve at least been nonsensical enough to be vaguely interesting. The Chibnall era is the dry turkey sandwich of modern Who; yeah it’s good and it technically functions as something to fill you up, but there’s no joy to be had in that meal.

You’re eating bland turkey on bland white bread without even so much as a bit of pesto aioli or spicy mustard, and on top of that you’d just spent the last 3ish years eating a pretty good hot pastrami on rye.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really hope Rusty keeps Dhawan around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I frequently mention (as do others) different variations of ways a story COULD have gone which seemed far more interesting/compelling than what we got. But what I've come to realize as I work my way back through Chibnall's run is that it really wouldn't have mattered. He could have done every "that sounds way better!" idea that we and other fans have had or suggested for taking a story he wrote in a different direction and it still would have (mostly) been crap and gotten people talking about different, better ways it could have been done instead (in some cases, maybe the thing Chibnall originally did!).

Because, for whatever reason, and I feel bad for the guy because he clearly loves Doctor Who and he had his heart in the right place about a lot of ideas, he just always managed to find a way to suck the life or energy or impact out of something that on paper SHOULD work. Ascension of the Cybermen is just one of many such examples. Take everything that happens in that episode and put it on paper devoid of all other context and you've got what SHOULD be a super exciting, often tense, thriller of an episode that also delves into some deeply disturbing sci-fi concepts. Instead it's... somehow utterly forgettable and nothing has any impact at all.

Look at RTD (glorious Welsh giant that he is :swoon:) and how in only a SINGLE line he manages to make the loving Flux into something that felt like it had real weight, impact and lasting effects on the Doctor... as it should have! Most of the universe was destroyed! That's something that you should probably have feelings about!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, ChatGPT would’ve at least been nonsensical enough to be vaguely interesting. The Chibnall era is the dry turkey sandwich of modern Who; yeah it’s good and it technically functions as something to fill you up, but there’s no joy to be had in that meal.

You’re eating bland turkey on bland white bread without even so much as a bit of pesto aioli or spicy mustard, and on top of that you’d just spent the last 3ish years eating a pretty good hot pastrami on rye.

Yeah, I think the ChatGPT comparison is a flawed one. Chibnall absolutely had a theme and an agenda running through his stories, it's just that it's one that is totally antithetical to Doctor Who. His work under RTD and Moffat is perhaps a better argument for AI-generated nonsense--and it's much better!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The mention of Ko Sharma suicide bombing and the Doctor just letting him (an act rendered 100% pointless as I recall by Power Of The Doctor) reminded me of Name Of The Doctor, where Clara sacrifices herself to save the Doctor, and the Doctor responds by sacrificing himself to save her too, sort of a Gift Of The Magi situation but with sacrificing yourself.

That's an objectively bad episode of television (the plot is paper thin, the mechanics of how any of the sci-fi stuff is happening is just about explained enough to function as dream logic, and half of the episode consists of just characters standing around talking) but I love it all the same and rewatch it all the time. When the Doctor says "Clara's got one advantage over the Great Intelligence: Me." I still get sniffly and teary. It's got laughs and tears, romance and peril, heroism and love and loyalty, I'd probably have more to say about any given 5 minute stretch of that episode than any given series under Chibnall, and it consists almost entirely of characters walking and talking! Don't know what my point was, probably just wanted to talk about an episode I like for a change

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Rings of Akhaten is comprised mostly of third acts, but there is no second act in the story. It's kind of weird.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

The reason was so they could do the Ra Ra Rasputin bit.

Even that is a Chibnall joint: as scripted, the Master did not dance. Dhawan misread something and ended up dancing and they just kept it.

That’s the best part! Even when Chibnall does something right, it’s mostly despite himself. That moment where the Master is dancing and the Dalek and Cyberman look at each other is brilliant, and Chibnall didn’t do it.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Narsham posted:

Even that is a Chibnall joint: as scripted, the Master did not dance. Dhawan misread something and ended up dancing and they just kept it.

I don't really believe that for a second. How was that scene supposed to work without the dancing? Boney M suddenly starts playing, but the Master just stands there? Why would it then be surprising for Dhawan to choose to dance? Or despite the clear parallel with Sound of Drums and the setup of him being Rasputin there wasn't any pop music scripted, and Dhawan danced for no reason and they added the music afterwards?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The song might've played just as a nod to the Master's affection for odd pop culture and Dhawan added his own flair to the scene to amuse himself

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

So, the script has as the climax of an evil plan by the Master, "and then out of nowhere disco hit Rasputin by Boney M plays and the Master stands impassively"? The Master as played by Dhawan whose performance Chibnall has become familiar with? And then Chibnall expresses complete surprise that Dhawan unexpectedly does a dance?

I don't know, that story just doesn't add up for me. Everything clearly feels like a straight reference to The Sound of Drums I can't imagine it not being Chibnall's intention it be "The Master dances to Boney M" right from the start.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There should be atleast some quality control over the covers of doctor who big finish.
https://x.com/Tardis_Central/status/1762920583527063562?s=20
Sigh...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The covers have sucked for ages. They just don't have the money to pay for good cover artists, e.g. Lee Binding leaving, but there's also just a straight up problem with top down nonsense insisting that these things will only sell if you stick e.g. Rachel Atkins' face on the cover.

Who the gently caress is Rachel Atkins? Yeah, exactly.

There's a pretty telling anecdote about Nick Briggs handing a cover artist a scribbled out version of what their covers should be, with the final result being this. And it's not horrible or anything, but it does make clear how their current house style has become their current house style.

Also, a lot of the time the covers are made before the story has even been written, which explains a lot.

Coward posted:

So, the script has as the climax of an evil plan by the Master, "and then out of nowhere disco hit Rasputin by Boney M plays and the Master stands impassively"? The Master as played by Dhawan whose performance Chibnall has become familiar with? And then Chibnall expresses complete surprise that Dhawan unexpectedly does a dance?

I don't know, that story just doesn't add up for me. Everything clearly feels like a straight reference to The Sound of Drums I can't imagine it not being Chibnall's intention it be "The Master dances to Boney M" right from the start.

Yeah, I don't buy that anecdote either tbh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how in an episode called Power of the Doctor, the Doctor doesn't actually do anything and her companions fix everything.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Coward posted:

I don't really believe that for a second. How was that scene supposed to work without the dancing? Boney M suddenly starts playing, but the Master just stands there? Why would it then be surprising for Dhawan to choose to dance? Or despite the clear parallel with Sound of Drums and the setup of him being Rasputin there wasn't any pop music scripted, and Dhawan danced for no reason and they added the music afterwards?

The song is in the script as released by the beeb (link, page 52 of the Power of the Doctor script), the dancing isn't.

That said I really have to imagine that to Chibnall at least it was implied, and that it was probably discussed outside of the page. But they're not strictly wrong that the script doesn't mention it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PriorMarcus posted:

Chibnall is on record as telling her not to watch any of the show as research.
It's so baffling. Like, the absolute contrast with Moffat getting Matt Smith to watch Tomb of the Cybermen, Smith getting (as someone in here joked earlier) posessed by the spirit of Patrick Troughton, and becoming a Doctor who* was excellent at carrying and elevating some of the weaker scripts in his run couldn't be more stark.

The late, great Sir Terry Pratchett was once asked by an aspiring author for writing advice, and he asked her what books she read. When she said that she didn't read other books because she didn't want to be influenced by other people's ideas, he came back with "I suggest you read as many books as you can."

---

* pun unintentional. Also can't ignore all the immense carrying of scripts that Karen Gillan and especially Arthur Darvill did during Eleven's era too.

e: added "Sir" because if anyone earnt it, he did.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Confusedslight posted:

There should be atleast some quality control over the covers of doctor who big finish.
https://x.com/Tardis_Central/status/1762920583527063562?s=20
Sigh...

This looks like dogshit tier AI art, what the gently caress Big Finish