Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Honestly Neeson is the perfect choice

He's pretty good at deadpan and has some comedy experience but isn't known as a Comedy Actor.

This might be somewhat decent.

Yeah Nielsen was a straight actor for like 30 years before Airplane! Seems like a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are the liam neeson comedy roles?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Extras, Atlanta

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He wasn't in Extras...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Oh yeah it was Life's Too Short, essentially the same Ricky Gervais vibe, it's just "what if Extras but with Warwick Davis"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jay Rust posted:

The Lego Movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

THE PINK ELEPHANT, IF YOU PLEASE

ynohtna posted:

Yeah, that's an immediate "how have I not seen this?" concept reaction.
Similarly I really should get around to watching that movie where Malcolm McDowell plays HG Wells trying to hunt down Jack the Ripper in the future.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 28, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Extras, Atlanta

And he’s done a bunch of cameos in Seth Mcfarlanes various projects.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

His standup was great but were there any good Richard Lewis movies besides Men In Tights? Is Drunks any good?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

His standup was great but were there any good Richard Lewis movies besides Men In Tights? Is Drunks any good?

he has a very brief but very good (non-comedic) bit part in Leaving Las Vegas

edit: i hadn't heard of Drunks but it's on Kanopy and sounds interesting, maybe i'll check it out

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 28, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BbaX0QU
Imgur isn't working with the Awful app for me.

Got into a film festival in Boston in march.

Hell yeah buddy!!!!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BbaX0QU
Imgur isn't working with the Awful app for me.

Got into a film festival in Boston in march.

Super cool! The theater that fest plays in is by far the coolest in Boston.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Coaaab posted:

do it seth macfarlane, have the balls to make it a shot-for-shot remake à la van sant's psycho bring back OJ Simpson

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Air Skwirl posted:

I just noticed it's being directed by one of the Lonely Island guys, so maybe it's got potential.

It's also the same writers as the recent Chip & Dale movie. I thought that flick was pretty fun.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

help settle a debate:

what do you call the video that plays before a movie starts that introduces the studio logo. like the searchlights for 20th century fox or the globe for universal, etc. is there a formal name for these videos? like a preview of an upcoming movie is called a trailer, but is there a special name for what i'm describing?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fanfare?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

feels close, but i wonder if that's just the musical number that plays to accompany the video itself.

someone i know is saying it's called a pre-roll but that doesn't feel right. he runs a plex server and they have it as a built in feature to include custom "pre-rolls" before media starts. i just never heard of anything playing before a movie called that before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah that’s the fanfare

Technically fanfare is referring to the music and comes from live performances to announce that they’re starting (and if you dig farther back it was to announce the arrival of a VIP at events), but in movies they’re synonymous with the distributor logo

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 29, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ShoogaSlim posted:

help settle a debate:

what do you call the video that plays before a movie starts that introduces the studio logo. like the searchlights for 20th century fox or the globe for universal, etc. is there a formal name for these videos? like a preview of an upcoming movie is called a trailer, but is there a special name for what i'm describing?

As someone who works in a job that involves studio film mastering, we use a very technical term for them: logos.

Alternatively, people may say "logo at the head"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShoogaSlim posted:

feels close, but i wonder if that's just the musical number that plays to accompany the video itself.

someone i know is saying it's called a pre-roll but that doesn't feel right. he runs a plex server and they have it as a built in feature to include custom "pre-rolls" before media starts. i just never heard of anything playing before a movie called that before.

Pre roll is everything that plays before the movie, especially ads, and it’s particularly common terminology in online video (like plex) https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/preroll

I think it actually comes from misunderstanding an older use of the word to mean stuff caught on camera before a take starts but after the camera starts but I’m not 100% on that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Similarly I really should get around to watching that movie where Malcolm McDowell plays HG Wells trying to hunt down Jack the Ripper in the future.

Time After Time is definitely a better idea than movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just have Neeson play his character from Taken but put it up to 11 and no one really reacts to it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I need to rewatch it because I remember loving it when I stumbled across it on late night TV. But then again I'M a sucker for fish out of water time traveller stuff, plus McDowell and David Warner!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Baron von Eevl posted:

I feel the same about Stay Tuned.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah that’s the fanfare

Technically fanfare is referring to the music and comes from live performances to announce that they’re starting (and if you dig farther back it was to announce the arrival of a VIP at events), but in movies they’re synonymous with the distributor logo

Mordiceius posted:

As someone who works in a job that involves studio film mastering, we use a very technical term for them: logos.

DeimosRising posted:

Pre roll is everything that plays before the movie, especially ads, and it’s particularly common terminology in online video (like plex) https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/preroll

I think it actually comes from misunderstanding an older use of the word to mean stuff caught on camera before a take starts but after the camera starts but I’m not 100% on that

thanks for the replies and info

feels like maybe everything before the movie is preroll but each part has its own title. like in the preroll you have ads and promos and trailers and fanfare?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ve also seen them referred to as studio cards.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

The criminally underrated Gun Shy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJ81Mq2y34

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

Animated logo, to be precise. One can have animated or static logos before the film. This is the correct term.

(Source: part of my job is negotiating credits).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

therattle posted:

Animated logo, to be precise. One can have animated or static logos before the film. This is the correct term.

(Source: part of my job is negotiating credits).

so is this plex feature their own made up term? or what would you call a video clip before the actual movie starts (during which the studio animated logo and fanfare plays) but after the trailers, like a "please silence your cell phones" thing?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like it in European films when there's 7 different logos before the film because to get anything with a decent budget made on the continent it needs to be an international co-production so you can maximise the number of film funds you can draw from.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like it in European films when there's 7 different logos before the film because to get anything with a decent budget made on the continent it needs to be an international co-production so you can maximise the number of film funds you can draw from.

The term is "Europudding"* and yeah it's great. Especially when they all have their logos but then they all have to be listed again in great detail in the opening credits.

It's actually a complete pain in the dick to try and cobble together these funding sources from what I've seen, not a fun part of the job at all.

(* Although I guess that might be more derogatory for when the end result sucks )

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 29, 2024

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hell yeah. The contorted single-use company names and animations are a treat.

I get a disproportionate amount of satisfaction from identifying logos by their opening frames. The filmic equivalent of "name that tune in 3 notes."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ynohtna posted:

Hell yeah. The contorted single-use company names and animations are a treat.

I get a disproportionate amount of satisfaction from identifying logos by their opening frames. The filmic equivalent of "name that tune in 3 notes."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A Ridley Scott movie wouldn't be the same without the Scott Free intro.

Edit: I love the Dutch Filmworks one, there's something ominous to that whirlpool. It's funny because they're a distributor and it is usually attached to various light-hearted stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5i5Dk3TDY8

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 29, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Which is why the remake from the same writer a few years later is so much better. Yes, I do mean Star Trek IV.

But also yeah, what a waste of a great concept and two incredible leads. A movie that only works at all because McDowell and Warner are so good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShoogaSlim posted:

so is this plex feature their own made up term? or what would you call a video clip before the actual movie starts (during which the studio animated logo and fanfare plays) but after the trailers, like a "please silence your cell phones" thing?

A theatre announcement? Not sure what the technical term is for that as each cinema will have their own one and they can put whatever they like.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just 7?

On the film I am producing Sony Classics has limited the number of animated logos we can have for exactly this reason. In their territory we will have cards with shared static logos instead.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The term is "Europudding"* and yeah it's great. Especially when they all have their logos but then they all have to be listed again in great detail in the opening credits.

It's actually a complete pain in the dick to try and cobble together these funding sources from what I've seen, not a fun part of the job at all.

(* Although I guess that might be more derogatory for when the end result sucks )

Yep! Cobbling those elements together is what I do. The one I am producing now is a UK-French-Polish-German-Belgian Co-production.
I worked on the closing for Trjangle of Sadness, and that had about 20 financing sources.

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 29, 2024

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
It’s funny but logos and opening credits are such an important part of the magic of cinema for me. I absolutely love it when the 20Th Century Fox fanfare plays and then five seconds later some basically redundant text fades in saying “20th Century Fox presents”… hell yeah, here we go, it’s the movies baby

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The redundant credits always make me think of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

30 seconds of logos ding