Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Idgi either but here's my guess: with the rising cost of everything zoomers can only afford to get tattoos that are relatively small and in black ink. It continuing to be trendy probably has to do with them being so much cheaper than getting a color half-sleeve

this sounds pretty accurate but also i think people no longer have that weird attitude that every tattoo needs to be super deeply meaningful, it can just be a design you think is cool at the time and what is meaningful is that the tattoo marks that time in your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

this sounds pretty accurate but also i think people no longer have that weird attitude that every tattoo needs to be super deeply meaningful, it can just be a design you think is cool at the time and what is meaningful is that the tattoo marks that time in your life

wait you mean I can now proceed with my kanji tattoo without getting lolled at???? hell yes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

wait you mean I can now proceed with my kanji tattoo without getting lolled at???? hell yes

yeah i think the problem with the kanji tattoos is people thought they were getting a meaningful word tattoed on them lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

agreed. let's consider this matter resolved.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RIP Richard Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi-YLIwkfJs

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Al! posted:

I can't quite get over just decorating yourself in a way that you can't undo without it being super meaningful and deliberate. I could see this being a very generationally-correlated attitude as at least half of the 20somethings I see walking around where I live have some ink on them. Like you guys say, much of it tends to be monochromatic with simple lines.

I imagine it's also easier to find someone who can do a tattoo like that well. It still blows my mind how good some tattoo artists can be with the fancier tattoos that look like someone transferred a full painting onto someone's back.

Like this: https://static.demilked.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/5d7b42bbd7868-full-back-tattoo-ideas-36-5d160c41ed87b__700.jpg

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drat Larry David sucked out all of his life force filming the final season of Curb

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
southern comfort is good. rarely seen such open contempt for troops in american cinema.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

One of the first stand up comedians I liked as a kid. Really funny guy. Welp.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I can't quite get over just decorating yourself in a way that you can't undo without it being super meaningful and deliberate. I could see this being a very generationally-correlated attitude as at least half of the 20somethings I see walking around where I live have some ink on them. Like you guys say, much of it tends to be monochromatic with simple lines.

I imagine it's also easier to find someone who can do a tattoo like that well. It still blows my mind how good some tattoo artists can be with the fancier tattoos that look like someone transferred a full painting onto someone's back.

Like this: https://static.demilked.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/5d7b42bbd7868-full-back-tattoo-ideas-36-5d160c41ed87b__700.jpg

All of those crazy intricate tattoos are terrible after a few years. Simple black and white stuff lasts for a long time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

He was great. One of the rare celebrity deaths that makes me sad.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's not that hard to remove them anymore

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It is pretty cool that tattoos have become so accepted that when you become too old and your brain breaks it breaks on "but why are so many tattoos simple line drawings?" and no longer just the idea of getting one

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

It's not that hard to remove them anymore

black ink tattoos are also the easiest to remove

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have zero tattoos but have been thinking about a full shoulderblade-to-shoulderblade thing for my 40th bday because i'm too poor for a sports car or hair plugs or w/e other midlife crisis thing

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

i say swears online posted:

i have zero tattoos but have been thinking about a full shoulderblade-to-shoulderblade thing for my 40th bday because i'm too poor for a sports car or hair plugs or w/e other midlife crisis thing

Do wings, but one side is an angel wing and the other side is a devil wing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

netizen posted:

Do wings, but one side is an angel wing and the other side is a devil wing.

loving sick

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I want two birds but I can't think of a way to not make it look gay as all hell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wouldn't two scissortail flycatchers look badass and masculine with their long pretty tails

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

maybe do two peacocks kissing??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Have the "cool Calvin" bird/wing piss on the other one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DarkLich posted:

maybe do two peacocks kissing??

And underneath it says "Nothing Gay"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

Very funny for how much capitalism likes to promote the idea that the all the money should go to the capitalists and not the workers because the ownership class takes on all the risk, they are very risk averse. The wealthiest companies are the most risk averse. Disney should be incredibly well equipped and financially able to withstand creating new things even if they flop, yet can only buy up and produce old ideas (e.g. flooding the market with cape poo poo and Star Wars). The more risk averse they are the faster they burn out currently financially viable ideas. Same in video games with GAAS or plastic guitar games. The more the rate of profit continues to fall the more they run that poo poo into the ground. Capitalism can't make new ideas, only strip-mine existing ones.

the baffling part of this is that this is how we used to produce commercial content and its still how most other countries also produce commercial content but its still being presented to us that hollywood is greenlighting weirdass ideas like a willy wonka prequel because the invisible hand demands it

like engaging in all this bullshit is how they lost the chinese market but no one is ever going to admit that when its commonly understood that china is run by communists who must have cheated somehow or else why would they stop watching movies that even american audiences dont want to watch anymore

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

And underneath it says "Nothing Gay"

In lucida blackletter

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Pulcinella posted:

Very funny for how much capitalism likes to promote the idea that the all the money should go to the capitalists and not the workers because the ownership class takes on all the risk, they are very risk averse. The wealthiest companies are the most risk averse. Disney should be incredibly well equipped and financially able to withstand creating new things even if they flop, yet can only buy up and produce old ideas (e.g. flooding the market with cape poo poo and Star Wars). The more risk averse they are the faster they burn out currently financially viable ideas. Same in video games with GAAS or plastic guitar games. The more the rate of profit continues to fall the more they run that poo poo into the ground. Capitalism can't make new ideas, only strip-mine existing ones.

the other side of risk-averse behavior is predicability and predicability is antithetical to entertainment in the long run
all of the biggest successes start off as new ideas that get picked up by money, they don't start as money ever even like fortnite was initially just freeplay pubg with a construction mechanic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

From what I've read it's on Disney+ literally everywhere except the USA, where it's on Hulu for some reason (even though I believe Disney has a large stake in Hulu if they don't own it outright at this point).

disney plus in the united states is really obsessed with branding themselves on disneyesque content but disney plus branches in other countries are just greenlighting stuff they think people will actually want to watch without any regard to the brand is whats causing this disconnect

putting this stuff on hulu is actually the compromise position what disney plus in the united states used to do was just not greenlight it for american distribution at all this is something that really pissed off people like kdrama fans since there wasnt any actual tangible benefit for the parent company to force people to resort to piracy when theyd be perfectly happy to just give disney money instead

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

When all is said and done the most unrealistic part of True Detective was that Childress still had to support himself by getting a regular job, and that left the clues by which he could eventually be found. To paraphrase Brad Pitt in The Counselor, in real life the wealthy keep their murderers and rapists on paid retainer.

my impression of what was going on in the first season of true detective was that the cult had already broken up by the time the story starts from the detectives perspective chronologically and that childress was just a loose end theyd completely forgotten about and werent even keeping tabs on because disbanding the cult meant never ever talking about it ever again like its pretty clear most of the people involved in the conspiracy didnt even have a clue what they were covering up they were just being given favors in the good old boy network to accept plausible explanations for why kids were disappearing

childress continues to do the murders anyway because hes a brainbroken fruitcake but its now a much more low class operation is how our heroes are even able to get a handle on it in the first place their main obstacle is the information blackout caused by disbanding the cult because the case is actually quite easy to piece together once you have a list of all the people who were working at the tuttle schools

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Al! posted:

correction: it marks how much disposable income you had at that time in your life

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

War and Pieces posted:

correction: it marks how much disposable income you had at that time in your life

and also how likely it is that you thought you would ever be competing for customer facing jobs in a tight economy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

he was a war criminal and so is iroh. he just gets away with it because he had a redemption arc like bush painting his dead victims.

this actually really nails what makes zuko and iroh so offputting in the netflix avatar the story is insisting on framing them sympathetically when theyre not really doing any sympathetic things yet so they just sulk around apologetically about the fact that theyre nazis

like if you made a movie about the iraq war thats leading up to bush painting his dead victims youd be getting a very similarly incoherent tone you cant really have a redemption arc if you dont first acknowledge that a character was wrong and bad to begin with live action avatar presents zuko and iroh and even azula of all people as if they were the victims of circumstance with no agency in fire nation politics

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

As I've said, despite loving Avatar (the bending one, not the alien poo poo one), I can't bring myself to watch the live action show because it feels really weird and unnecessary. I am still going to be an ostensible adult man going to see the animated film next year.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Lol why is Someguy posting the same loving article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5HWzwa3KOo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FirstnameLastname posted:

even like fortnite was initially just freeplay pubg with a construction mechanic
no even funnier, fortnite was initially like a 4p co-op survival-base builder game which was closer to the trend at the time. then it tried a battle royale mode and it took off running so they pivotted

anyways its hard to say: arguably something like marvel avengers endgame was "predictable" or star wars 7 and sold a bazillion gazillion $$$$ -- up until they didn't. but also something like.. i dunno, matrix 1 or The Titanic, was not a predictable hit yet it did.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Feb 29, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

why wouldn't you want it to look gay as hell

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nichael posted:

As I've said, despite loving Avatar (the bending one, not the alien poo poo one), I can't bring myself to watch the live action show because it feels really weird and unnecessary. I am still going to be an ostensible adult man going to see the animated film next year.

It looks loving awful so I'm staying away.
https://twitter.com/AvatarNetflix/status/1762840245316235623?t=uikiM9e021smMJ33I9uzzQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/AvatarNetflix/status/1762852908188463602?t=L7R6IL0NXtFruL0jPyycjA&s=19

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Xaris posted:

anyways its hard to say: arguably something like marvel avengers endgame was "predictable" or star wars 7 and sold a bazillion gazillion $$$$ -- up until they didn't. but also something like.. i dunno, matrix 1 or The Titanic, was not a predictable hit yet it did.

nolan is like the only director who gets to do new ideas nowadays tho i dont think stuff was as commodified or whatever then

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FirstnameLastname posted:

nolan is like the only director who gets to do new ideas nowadays tho

even current [cash register noises] darling villeneuve is making adaptations and sequels

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Nichael posted:

I watched the first ep and it looked pretty and the fighting was cool. Kid was annoying at first but got better.

I tried watching the cartoon first but it was a bit janky and cheap looking. Sorry if it was good but I'm really superficial.

I'm guessing if I'd seen it when I was younger I would have liked it a lot more.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

by the way, the israel palestine dune 2 discourse is going to be loving unbearable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

even current [cash register noises] darling villeneuve is making adaptations and sequels

He's doing a Rendezvous with Rama movie next and I am very excited.