Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Crossplay has taught me not enough PS5 players know their mic defaults to on, is in their controller, and that their smoke detectors need new batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I had a pubbie drop in last night that sounded like McConaughey and was fun so I flipped on pubbie mic to play with him. Was a good time.

I think I've had two people drop in with the live controller mic vibrating away over like 75 hours. That might be because I had crossplay off for the first two weeks or more due to it bugging matchmaking. Most pubbies are just completely silent tho.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Crossplay has taught me not enough PS5 players know their mic defaults to on, is in their controller, and that their smoke detectors need new batteries
I thought that was an Everything's Okay Alarm

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

jokes posted:

who in the world wants voice communication with randos

just type it out its better that way. voice comms are for people youre close to

they weren't a rando

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

the pubbies are coming from inside the thread!!!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

JBP posted:

I had a pubbie drop in last night that sounded like McConaughey and was fun so I flipped on pubbie mic to play with him. Was a good time.

I think I've had two people drop in with the live controller mic vibrating away over like 75 hours. That might be because I had crossplay off for the first two weeks or more due to it bugging matchmaking. Most pubbies are just completely silent tho.

I was getting it enough that I turned off crossplay. Usually just static and random crunching, sniffing or coughing, it's fuckin gross.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

my boss called me from home and her loving fire alarm was beeping in the background, somehow it's not just gamers

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

my boss called me from home and her loving fire alarm was beeping in the background, somehow it's not just gamers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj0N-GJZLMc

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LuiCypher posted:

Conversely, I hate when people join your party and they have a hot mic, so you hear either their breathing, their controller vibrating, the random crinkle of them reaching into a bag of Cheetos, and any combination of those things.

I had a guy hold an entire conversation on the phone with his gf\wife about paying the mortgage and asking why she spent 200 a week on vapes if she cant pay the bills

i told him thats too much money to spend on vapes a week then called in an airstrike

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ijyt posted:

https://twitter.com/_HEALTH_/status/1762643886520815794

i am not figuring out twitter embeds on this dead gay forum

How did Twitter get my picture

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im positive that would be funny if I could see it but aint no way im dealing with that site for a joke

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Im positive that would be funny if I could see it but aint no way im dealing with that site for a joke
oh.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I don't know how much this matters but I'm in the midwest and get an alarmingly large percentage of people who have their mics on and the entire match is just family and pets being real real noisy in the background while they chug bear and hit bongs and mumble incoherently.

I also get paired with a fair amount of russians and spanish speakers too though and those matches usually go better.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Making open mic the default was a demonic decision. In addition to unending breathing and household noises, I get paired with a very large number of players with music or the game audio itself playing through speakers and feeding back through the mic.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

(Context: I dislike when you pop into a friend's mission and it does not tell you where the mission is or what difficulty they're on. That's how I wound up in a Difficulty 3 bug mission when I was hoping based on their levels that they were doing something a bit more challenging.)

Was this last night? A couple of my IRL friends got the game and I’ve been running low difficulty missions with them while they get the hang of the mechanics. It’s a little slow goings, so instead of obliterating everything with stratagems and running objectives quick I hang back and kind of babysit the chaff bugs while they practice blowing stuff up.

Last night a goon I’ve grouped with before joined us off my friends list and I felt bad because he was probably expecting a 7+ and wound up with a 3. I told him no hard feelings if he left, but he was a good sport and ran a mission with us. If this was you, thanks.

For his sake, and from my own experience, it would be really helpful to see at least the mission difficulty your friends are on.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

if feels like every time matchmaking throws me in with a playstation player all i can hear is them mashing buttons and their controller's rumble over their open mic. it's like i'm back in 2004 playing halo 2

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Oneiros posted:

if feels like every time matchmaking throws me in with a playstation player all i can hear is them mashing buttons and their controller's rumble over their open mic. it's like i'm back in 2004 playing halo 2

People pay big money for this kind of nostalgia

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I play PS5 and would pay big money to get people to stop heavy breathing into their mics with their TV blasting at full volume.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played a match where a dude seemed to be chewing gum/taffy/paper the entire time

like right into the match

how do you do that it was like 30 minutes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarpedLichen posted:

I think that's been a thing in every co-op gun game with loadouts? At least this was definitely the same discussion in Payday 2 and Warframe, and a bunch of other games.

Now the ideal is EDF where there are good guns and bad guns but nobody complains too much because whether or not something is good is secondary to whether or something is funny.

In EDF people are thankful that a shotgun can slay godzilla as well as carefully free your friend from the jaws of a monster.

This may be skewing why I am unimpressed by the breaker. "Other shotguns don't have/get enough ammo. Other shotguns can barely tickle enemies. And THIS shotgun... Can only multikill things smaller than I am? But people are upset it doesn't have poo poo ammo? Right, bringing the defender again if I need to use full auto fire on fodder either way."

More weapons should get a decent amount of ammo, people understand the AMR and other guns are getting it rough on loot and supply drops. So being upset at a gun with a reasonable amount of ammo... may also explain another reason so many have the mindest of "Speedrun stealth, shooting anything is wrong just run away" No poo poo you would run away if you were using the basic pump action shotgun for longer than a minute of carnage, it is going to be empty even if every shot is a killshot.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 29, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I think open mic is the default setting, isn't it?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

I think open mic is the default setting, isn't it?

PS5 controller mic? Yeah. The mic button lights up when the mic is off. The mic symbol nearby has a little slash through it. This was designed on opposite day

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fishstick posted:

the online console gaming experience™

weirdly enough this is how i met some dope rear end people in the PS3 days before chat parties became the norm

loving legend

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to set up an MG on top of a hill and have a buddy with a supply pack set up a continuous feed of ammunition so that, as a team, they can fire the MG through 6 packs of ammo without needing to stop firing

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jokes posted:

who in the world wants voice communication with randos

just type it out its better that way. voice comms are for people youre close to

voice coms are fun, ive added several randos to my friends list because of this game

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I turned off voice chat completely before even playing my first game and have had a mostly good time, probably avoided a fair bit of yelling. :smug:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

johnny park posted:

Every 2nd Thursday

Just to clarify this since that tweet is very poorly worded, it's apparently every second Thursday of the month.

So two weeks from now and then once a month after that. Allegedly.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think this game defaults to open mic which is dumb. I have had some decent voice chat games with randoms, it's not that common unfortunately.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just dropped into a tier 6 with two randos, but we were all on comms and nice and having a good time even though the whole mission was hosed throughout, and we never did get a 4th body.

It was a struggle with dual bile titans but we made it somehow. At one point there was a party wipe during evac, pods dropped well outside the evac proximity zone so the abort timer started. I was able to sprint back into the zone with 2 seconds to spare before the pickup bailed out.

One of our three didn’t make it but we got his samples and he met us back on board the ship for a quick round of finger guns. The whole thing was intense from start to finish.

Game rules.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
My fellow helldivers, I had an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpMoKJHEgA4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh that reminds me, our entire mission started in an unforeseen hot zone with someone else’s pod landing on my pod and instagibbing me at 0 seconds in, an auspicious start

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Why does the plane take off soon as one dude gets in sometimes

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

They're fuckin ambush predators now??

https://i.imgur.com/POLTDYc.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If nobody else is actively alive it’ll go immediately, being en route in a hellpod does not count, wave at the pelican on your way by. Like two ships passing in the night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rusty posted:

I think this game defaults to open mic which is dumb. I have had some decent voice chat games with randoms, it's not that common unfortunately.

PS5 doesn’t have enough buttons to do PTT default.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you drop samples with controller?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jokes posted:

How do you drop samples with controller?

I think you hold down and get a radial to drop samples, guns and backpacks. At least you do for guns/packs. I never bother dropping samples.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

omg chael crash posted:

I think a ton of people have hearing damage, I was on a phone call with my dad and commented on his smoke alarm's dead battery chirp and he couldn't hear it. Not even just was blocking it out but literally couldn't hear the chirp when he tried to listen for it.

But yeah open mic kind of sucks, especially on the lovely mic inside the ps5 controller. I'm always amazed by people not muting themselves in noisy houses or while chewing and other gross stuff.
There aren't enough buttons for push to talk but every headset has a manual mute button/switch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean not only does the game have open mic default, the PS5 controller is unmuted by default. Madness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

The persistent cultural need to only ever run meta builds is a cancer among all games.

Yes, especially when someone is most likely better when they play poo poo they are use to instead of trying out meta builds they never played.