Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Thank goodness Nintendo is finally doing something to protect their assets. If they actually manage to put an end to the relentless thievery of their products, they might at long last be able to turn a profit.

Edit:

explosivo posted:

Is ArkOS the best option for the 353M that isn't the stock setup?

I personally prefer it, but I think most people have an easier time with JelOS. The main reason to prefer ArkOS is if you're already familiar with Retroarch's configs and want to manage them yourself to do your own thing.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arcsech posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, it might just be an attempt to pressure/intimidate them into folding. Nobody likes to be sued, it's stressful, time-consuming, and costly - depending on your life circumstances, giving in might be the only realistic option.

It's definitely just Nintendo pressuring them with the threat of legal costs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Get hosed Nintendo.

When the switch came out I was so stoked to have new and old Nintendo games available in a portable, dockable system. I was gonna ditch everything else and have my cool gaming thing.

It’s been like 7 years and all they’ve done is drip feed their older content on a loving paid subscription model that will eventually be shut down. I would have never gotten into these third party handhelds, or even my steamdeck, if they made the switch what it could have been from the start.

There are too many good games from previous systems to wait for them to come out in a legit way. gently caress it. :yarr:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

explosivo posted:

Is ArkOS the best option for the 353M that isn't the stock setup?

It's what I use and it's pretty nice. As previously mentioned, JelOS also exists and it seems largely to be potayto/potahto between them.

I stuck with ArkOS because the JelOS guys made that weird move that they then reversed but might go back to of making you compile the poo poo yourself, seemingly just to alienate people for the purpose of gatekeeping.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My nephews' 35XX is having issues so they dropped it off for me to fix (it's definitely the poo poo sd card) but I figure I'll update it while I have it. I'm not too familiar with the options tho, is Garlic OS the best option? Any level of complexity to setup is fine, just looking for the best/easiest user experience in the end.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The elephant in the room when talking about emulation handhelds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1gveQUBIKk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tired: Buying an emulator handheld to play Switch games.
Wired: Buying a Switch to emulate PS2 games.

Though I will absolutely say I've been considering a Switch Lite for a while, they are dirt cheap to get used and not even that expensive brand new compared to some handhelds.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you guys know where to buy pre modded Switch in the US? I kind of want to give it a try even though I don't play Nintendo 1st party games.

Also any mod to make the switch stick act like a normal stick?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChiTownEddie posted:

My nephews' 35XX is having issues so they dropped it off for me to fix (it's definitely the poo poo sd card) but I figure I'll update it while I have it. I'm not too familiar with the options tho, is Garlic OS the best option? Any level of complexity to setup is fine, just looking for the best/easiest user experience in the end.

Yeah Garlic OS is probably the best option overall for the RG35XX, admittedly not all that many options for that device anyways

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zzMisc posted:

I personally prefer it, but I think most people have an easier time with JelOS. The main reason to prefer ArkOS is if you're already familiar with Retroarch's configs and want to manage them yourself to do your own thing.

Explosionface posted:

It's what I use and it's pretty nice. As previously mentioned, JelOS also exists and it seems largely to be potayto/potahto between them.

Thanks! I got it all set up, it's nice but I am a bit meh on the theme options in the themestation thing. Otoh I found a bunch of cool poo poo in portmaster so I'm on board.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Arcsech posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, it might just be an attempt to pressure/intimidate them into folding. Nobody likes to be sued, it's stressful, time-consuming, and costly - depending on your life circumstances, giving in might be the only realistic option.

Yeah this is absolutely not about getting a law on the books. That said I'm sure if they could legalise making using a Nintendo product in anyway but dictated a felony they'd have their lawyers on that yesterday.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My RG405M (running onion OS) seems to have fallen over.

If I press the power button I just get the G symbol appear for a moment. If I plug it in the G symbol fades in and out in different orientations but that's it.

My current plan is to let the battery run totally flat and hope recharging will bring it back but if anyone else has seen this any help would be appreciated

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a faster/more reliable way to scrape data for my collection on ArkOS? I'm using screenscraper signed into my account but this is taking so long it's basically timing out or just stops working after a bit and I have to restart it again. I let it go overnight which worked fine when I did this on the stock os (is that JelOS?) but it basically stopped 20 games into my Amiga collection and never went any further. Trying to go system by system now to split it into smaller chunks but I'm 16 titles into my Nintendo collection after about 3 hours :sigh:

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

explosivo posted:

Is there a faster/more reliable way to scrape data for my collection on ArkOS? I'm using screenscraper signed into my account but this is taking so long it's basically timing out or just stops working after a bit and I have to restart it again. I let it go overnight which worked fine when I did this on the stock os (is that JelOS?) but it basically stopped 20 games into my Amiga collection and never went any further. Trying to go system by system now to split it into smaller chunks but I'm 16 titles into my Nintendo collection after about 3 hours :sigh:

There's a desktop tool called Skraper that does the same thing as the ES one but as its on a computer it's a bit faster. Only problem is it takes an eternity to actually get ready to work because it insanely needs to download like a thousand cache files one by one instead of just...a single 16mb zip file, but someone uploaded a zip of theirs to media fire that makes it instant.

After that you just plug in your sd card, point it to the directory and then you can configure poo poo and run it!

https://www.skraper.net/
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ccnbaz5lupllmhr/Cache.zip/file

Did all that for my new R36S last night and it all worked fine after getting past that setup. (ordered another one as the one I posted about the other week is gone forever after the delivery company just immediately returned to sender before attempting delivery by accident and now Ali are refusing to refund me lmao). Quite liking it after setting it up with the community version of arkos that enables the FN button, the controls aren't bad though I still might do the mods of cutting the button connectors and loosing the dpad screw as they're definitely not ideal. The speaker constantly quietly hisses which is annoying but then again only really noticeable if you put your ear close to it. So far so good!
Ordered a MM+ as well at nearly the same time when I saw one on a sale, so going to set that up with OnionOS and see which I pfdcdd then use the other for a gift. I'd like having the extra power of the r36s but if the MM feels a lot better quality I'll probably hop on that

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 28, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy crap thank you, this is exactly what I was hoping existed.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So apparently the actual ES-DE Android application, by Leon Styhre, was removed from the Amazon app store. Meanwhile several copies/fakes still show up when you put "ES-DE" into the Amazon store search.

The ES-DE discord is abuzz with folks talking about where to go from here, but I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. gently caress walled garden app stores forever.

It looks like for the time being they're using a Patreon subscription. You can sign up for it at https://www.patreon.com/es_de/membership, pay for 1 month at the same price as the Amazon store app, get the link and immediately cancel. The author on Discord is saying that is the intent, they don't expect people to remain subbed.

explosivo posted:

Scraping in general is a major hassle any way you go about it, which is a big part of why the Android emu GUI clusterfuck is so frustrating - ideally you only ever want to do it once, but it can be hard to make your scraped media work across platforms.

The way I did it is with the Skraper Windows application at https://www.skraper.net/, connected to https://screenscraper.fr/. That app hasn't been updated in years now though, and is still more than a little janky to get used to. Both ArkOS and JelOS save the scraped media to the roms folder; it might be a better idea to just let that scraper run overnight, for however many nights it takes, then copy off all the scraped data to your desktop or some other backup location and hope to never have to do it again.

I believe ArkOS and possibly JelOS both have at least two different scrape sources, one screenscraper and the other maybe thegamesdb? Only screenscraper has videos, but it's hella slow. You can switch to thegamesdb for everything else, then switch back to try to grab just the videos later. But it's an annoying clusterfuck no matter how you do it, like 80% of my time spent messing about with emulation UIs is just trying to get scraped media in order.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 28, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah Skraper is so much better. Thanks for the info :tipshat:

zzMisc posted:

80% of my time spent messing about with emulation UIs

New thread title?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 28, 2024

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

flavor.flv posted:

The elephant in the room when talking about emulation handhelds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1gveQUBIKk

Isn't the switch lite a nightmare to put a modchip in? Conveniently the video already starts out with a modded switch lite which makes it all seem much simpler.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Substandard posted:

Isn't the switch lite a nightmare to put a modchip in? Conveniently the video already starts out with a modded switch lite which makes it all seem much simpler.

Guy probably said that for legal reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah installing a switch modchip requires some pretty fiddly soldering so most people would want to get one pre-installed

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Admittedly.....I haven't toyed around with any other OSs......but for the games that you're likely to play on the 35xx.....Garlic is great. Especially once you figure out the "hotkeys" and whatnot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The switch (non oled) screen is just so bad it makes me not want to use it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

The switch (non oled) screen is just so bad it makes me not want to use it.

It’s fine

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The standard switch screen is a bit better than most of these handhelds in my experience

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I definitely disagree with that.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Admittedly.....I haven't toyed around with any other OSs......but for the games that you're likely to play on the 35xx.....Garlic is great. Especially once you figure out the "hotkeys" and whatnot.

Sweet, thanks!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was gifted a non OLED (also non soft moddable) Switch by my neighbor 3 years ago when he moved out.. Set it up once and never touched it again. I ended up selling it with 8 games on ebay last month.

Both the screen and the d pad are bad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

switch screen, dpad and ergos are kind of rear end.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Photex posted:

I think the switch lite dpad is pretty decent. The regular switch joycon d-pad is absolute trash though and you definitely need some sort of third party replacement.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I only use the Hori Split Pad Pro in lieu of joycons when I'm using it as a handheld. The only downsides are no rumble or tilt controls but for most games I play on the go it's just fine

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Substandard posted:

Switch flash carts are starting to become a thing so probably easier and cheaper just to go with one of those at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7y9jlebrA

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Retroid Pocket 4 Pro update drops, fixes ghosting issues, added temperature control display settings, and better performance for PS2 games:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Photex posted:

agree. needs to be a clamshell.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

I only use the Hori Split Pad Pro in lieu of joycons when I'm using it as a handheld. The only downsides are no rumble or tilt controls but for most games I play on the go it's just fine

I used a split pad pro intensively for years, and for what it's worth, I upgraded to a Nitro Deck at Christmas and it's a two steps forward, one step back kinda deal (not being able to dock without removing the grip is a big con). But totally worth it if you missed rumble and gyro like I did.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Vakal posted:

Switch flash carts are starting to become a thing so probably easier and cheaper just to go with one of those at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7y9jlebrA

These don't enabled unsigned code to run which is a requirement for homebrew (the entire premise of the switch lite being useful in the original video), so they're only good for backups and piracy.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I walked by a place that had a console that purported to play all sega / NES / SNES cartridges and had multiple slots for each. And then i saw this thread.

Thats my story. Seemed cool if you wanted to be able to use cartridges again i guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the Retron has existed for a long time. They suck.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Manky posted:

I used a split pad pro intensively for years, and for what it's worth, I upgraded to a Nitro Deck at Christmas and it's a two steps forward, one step back kinda deal (not being able to dock without removing the grip is a big con). But totally worth it if you missed rumble and gyro like I did.

https://crkd.gg/pages/ndplus
The (pre-order) nitro deck + will have an HDMI dongle for TV play. ETA April.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

deong posted:

https://crkd.gg/pages/ndplus
The (pre-order) nitro deck + will have an HDMI dongle for TV play. ETA April.

Can I just plug a usbc to hdmi adapter into my current nitro deck? I have never tried this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

probably not, the switch doesn't output standard HDMI over it's USB port

it actually puts out displayport and the dock converts it to HDMI for reasons, and that'll be what the dongle that comes with the ND+ is also doing