Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My favorite trick taker is Fool!

It's a trick taking shedding game, where the goal is to get rid of all the cards in your hand. The gimmick is that the player who played the lowest card in the trick sits out the following trick. So you're both trying to win tricks, while also trying not to be the lowest card. It's such a great design. I love it.

I picked up Potato Man and Tatsu, that I've been told are good but haven't played either yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

million dollar mack posted:

Bohnanza owns and trading games own and the more trading games you play the faster the degeneracy starts.

Game 1: Oh hey, trade my Chilli Bean for your Green Bean?

Game 3: I’ll launder green beans with you now player 2. player 3 you will give me that garden bean or I will compete directly for your beans from your right. Player 4 thank you for your kind acceptance of this junk bean, the favour has been noted. gently caress you player 5, pay ME.

I recently introduced my wife and her parents and it turns out both my wife and her dad are shrewd negotiators. Her dad bought his own copy soon after, her mom begged me not to tell him about the expansions

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

How different is Voidfall to Omega Centauri? I had no idea they were linked until everyone started raving about the former and I saw that apparently it's a "reimplementation". If it aint that wild beyond some admittedly nice production values I will feel less FOMO.

And you assholes have to stop talking about Napoleon's Triumph in such glowing terms. For a game so beloved it's crazy to me that there hasn't been a KS reprint or some niche European company running with the rights.

I have not played Voidfall yet, but my impression is they're significantly different even though they have a vaguely similar skeleton. Omega Centauri is really underrated imo, it's probably my favorite of the various non-TI space 4x games that have popped up over the years.

armorer posted:

Have we talked about trick taking games recently? I'm thinking I should expand my collection a bit and was looking at picking up Ghosts of Christmas, 9 Lives, and The Bottle Imp (although I may just proxy bottle imp from some blank cards, because there's a new edition apparently in the works and it would be trivial to proxy). Anyone have any other interesting trick taking recs? I have The Crew, Fox in the Forest, and Cat in the Box already.

Sticheln/Stick'em, best at 3 or 4 players. It's a pretty radical departure from most trick taking games because a) you don't have to follow the lead, and b) at the start of each hand, every player simultaneously selects and reveals a "pain card" from their hand, and any cards you win for the duration of that hand that match the suit of the pain card, including the pain card itself, become negative points equal to their rank, and all other cards are worth one positive point.

Fool as previously mentioned is great, really wants like 5+ players though imo.

Mu is really unique but only works at exactly 5. It's a partnership game where every round starts with players revealing cards from their hand in a bid to become the chief, who then selects one other player to partner with in an attempt to reach a certain points threshold based on how many cards they revealed. The other three players then team up to try and stop them from reaching their goal.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

How different is Voidfall to Omega Centauri? I had no idea they were linked until everyone started raving about the former and I saw that apparently it's a "reimplementation".

I really liked Omega Centauri! Nothing in my casual browsing of Voidfall suggested to me that it was a re-implementation, so I'm pretty interested in that angle, if true.

I looked at Voidfall because space, 4x, and Nigel Buckle's name on it (Omega Centauri). But what I saw looked more resource-MWE than anything, and the many many pages of icon definitions/references just made me feel tired, and after that I stopped paying attention. :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My favorite trick taking game is briscola, but I also grew up playing it with Sicilian grandparents

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

mikeycp posted:

My favorite trick taking game is briscola, but I also grew up playing it with Sicilian grandparents

I just stumbled upon and acquired a piacentinian deck the other day, up til then I’d only commonly seen neapolitan and sicilian decks. briscola and scopa ftw.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I love Italian card art so much. Also the games are fun. Old Sicilians gonna cut you if you don't win the trick

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

are there any really viable responses to this constant, never ending stock trashing as far as I can tell is mostly pointless?

I've played 1830 a few times only, but why -- game delays aside -- why doesn't doing this (shitloads of stock value trashing) simply lead to "run trains good, get majority, pay out dividends" becoming the stronger move game-wise?

It (probably naively) seems like company shares all being under-valued and generally more impoverished players means not only slower train rusting, but also that it now makes more/most sense to gets & keep majority ownership, run routes good and pay dividends (putting more $ -- which are VP -- in your pocket than in others') instead of withholding to bump share price since it'll only get knocked down anyway.

What am I missing that it doesn't work out that way?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

taser rates posted:

I have not played Voidfall yet, but my impression is they're significantly different even though they have a vaguely similar skeleton. Omega Centauri is really underrated imo, it's probably my favorite of the various non-TI space 4x games that have popped up over the years.

Sticheln/Stick'em, best at 3 or 4 players. It's a pretty radical departure from most trick taking games because a) you don't have to follow the lead, and b) at the start of each hand, every player simultaneously selects and reveals a "pain card" from their hand, and any cards you win for the duration of that hand that match the suit of the pain card, including the pain card itself, become negative points equal to their rank, and all other cards are worth one positive point.

Fool as previously mentioned is great, really wants like 5+ players though imo.

Mu is really unique but only works at exactly 5. It's a partnership game where every round starts with players revealing cards from their hand in a bid to become the chief, who then selects one other player to partner with in an attempt to reach a certain points threshold based on how many cards they revealed. The other three players then team up to try and stop them from reaching their goal.

You missed the best part of not being forced to follow in Sticheln, everything is trump. Highest non-zero card of a suit not led wins the trick.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

garthoneeye posted:

You missed the best part of not being forced to follow in Sticheln, everything is trump. Highest non-zero card of a suit not led wins the trick.

Yea lol, I thought of that after I posted it but didn't feel like editing it in after the fact.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I've played 1830 a few times only, but why -- game delays aside -- why doesn't doing this (shitloads of stock value trashing) simply lead to "run trains good, get majority, pay out dividends" becoming the stronger move game-wise?

It (probably naively) seems like company shares all being under-valued and generally more impoverished players means not only slower train rusting, but also that it now makes more/most sense to gets & keep majority ownership, run routes good and pay dividends (putting more $ -- which are VP -- in your pocket than in others') instead of withholding to bump share price since it'll only get knocked down anyway.

What am I missing that it doesn't work out that way?

Heavy trashing leads to lower player value and liquidity in the short term (worse appreciation, less money from selling shares, filling the pool limits how many shares they can sell), but that doesn't necessarily equate to slower train movement. Since more shares are going to be in the pool, that means companies will have more treasury money than normal, and since shares are cheaper relative to the rate of dividends, that means more shares will be bought faster meaning players will also be earning more dividends at a faster rate.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Also if someone is trashing buying up to 20%, if you can when they buy 10% buy and immediately sell a share if you can so they lose money. If the other players are annoyed, get everyone to do this. Point out the money the trasher is losing. Buy the cheap shares they create. Win. Mock them an absolutely insufferable period of time.

The other psychological warfare move is just demand to sit on their right because you 'always want priority deal' but only really works in person.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 28, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I really didn't like Fool because I hated sitting out a round. Being a function trick-taker that plays that many people was impressive though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Really enjoyed the new games I got, like White Castle, Zoo Vadis and Scout. Especially now with kids, I prefer shorter games which are still relatively meaty in their own way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Oh man I really want to try zoo vadis.
Did you ever try red cathedral? White Castle is a kind of spiritual successor right?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spiteski posted:

Oh man I really want to try zoo vadis.
Did you ever try red cathedral? White Castle is a kind of spiritual successor right?

Yeah Zoo Vadis was pretty fun, I think it gets better with more people playing.

I did play Red Cathedral but i think I enjoy White Castle more. Besides the theme, I like how it's such a tight game of finding opportunities and chaining combos together, makes you really feel good when you pull off a chain that you never expected to do and felt like you had no moves anymore. And having only 9 turns in total for each players ensures that it's a decently short and tight game but still deep enough.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The White Castle rules. You go from "I'm gonna do all these things!" to "Oh no, I'm not gonna accomplish anything!" to "I can't believe I actually got something done!" I like how much player interaction matters, and the length is perfect. It does completely drain my brain, though. Like there are much bigger games that I come out of with more energy, Lol.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

armorer posted:

Have we talked about trick taking games recently? I'm thinking I should expand my collection a bit and was looking at picking up Ghosts of Christmas, 9 Lives, and The Bottle Imp (although I may just proxy bottle imp from some blank cards, because there's a new edition apparently in the works and it would be trivial to proxy). Anyone have any other interesting trick taking recs? I have The Crew, Fox in the Forest, and Cat in the Box already.

This was kind of timely - Grail Games just put up a kickstarter for the new edition of Bottle Imp and a few other small card games.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ark Nova question:

My opponent on BGA played two conservation cards from hand on their final turn - how is that possible? They didn't have chat enabled so I couldn't ask.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ark Nova question:

My opponent on BGA played two conservation cards from hand on their final turn - how is that possible? They didn't have chat enabled so I couldn't ask.

Can you provide the finished game link?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh, cool, I didn't know this was a thing. Here it is: https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=481519017

It's only showing one, so... maybe not? But I do remember two going down. Confident about this because I had a Research project that I specifically didn't play so my opponent couldn't benefit from it, so that top row was entirely empty. And then there were two (unless I hallucinated). Wish I could see the actual board rather than text to confirm (edit: turns out you CAN do this, neat!), but text doesn't appear to show it. Edit: opponent is sootsprites.

Oh there was one there already, lol. Disregard.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 2, 2024

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Hah, glad I could help (by not helping)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Knowing that review is possible was all the help I needed, so thanks! Also feel free to click so you can see how handily I won :cool: (do not look at how many games I've won overall)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

armorer posted:

Have we talked about trick taking games recently?

Marshmallow Test is a recent play that has stuck in my brain.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thinking about how Ark Nova isn't well-liked in this thread and wondering: what highly rated/ranked (BGG) games don't you like?

For me, Gloomhaven was an absolute miss. I played it twice, to be fair, at 3-players, but I can't see myself enjoying it at any count or number of plays. The decision space is very, very tight with almost no wiggle room. A small misstep means you're dead and simply can't play the game (happened to me and, oh well, guess I can't play with my friends tonight!), and you're just optimizing the way the game requires you to play (rather than optimizing to what the game allows you to play). There's, like, zero (?) RNG and it turns out I don't actually appreciate that very much. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, as I'd prefer to like it than not.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
On the contrary, one of the biggest issues with GH is the absurd degree of variability and the outsized effect of RNG on your turns. Perfect setup for a huge attack with all the right modifiers that involved losing a bunch of cards? Miss, nothing happens. AI drew shield + heal 3 consecutive turns? Hope you aren't on a timer to kill them! Etc etc

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I can't resist sharing my (doubtlessly not unique) observation that in GH the single "miss" in the deck is not balanced by the single "2x" card in the deck. On the surface it seems like two sides of a coin but it is not.

Simply because drawing 2x is sometimes useless or wasted (you often are in situation where you know you were going to do minimum 3 dmg anyway, killing the monster for sure, so drawing the 2x makes no diff) whereas drawing the miss is always an unwelcome setback.

There's an optional rule to simply remove them or treat them as +2 / -2 or whatever. I've never done that though :goleft:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Get a source of advantage (and don't use the default GH advantage rules) if you are worried about big hits missing.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 2, 2024

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I house ruled the issue by playing a different game

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
game I can’t understand why goons love:

brass Birmingham. loving snoooooooore. Also everything is brown and purple. It’s like ticket to ride monopoly edition

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Brass Lanc is better.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Brass Birmingham is good but also terrifically fiddly

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thinking about how Ark Nova isn't well-liked in this thread and wondering: what highly rated/ranked (BGG) games don't you like?

For me, Gloomhaven was an absolute miss. I played it twice, to be fair, at 3-players, but I can't see myself enjoying it at any count or number of plays. The decision space is very, very tight with almost no wiggle room. A small misstep means you're dead and simply can't play the game (happened to me and, oh well, guess I can't play with my friends tonight!), and you're just optimizing the way the game requires you to play (rather than optimizing to what the game allows you to play). There's, like, zero (?) RNG and it turns out I don't actually appreciate that very much. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, as I'd prefer to like it than not.

What was the single misstep? Because I can’t think of anything in the early scenarios that could have led to that. More likely, you and your friends missed one or more important rules. The most likely is “I have 2 hp and suffered 3 damage” and you missed the rule that you can lose one card from your hand or two from your discard to negate all damage from a single source.

Setting the difficulty level to twice what it should be is another likely mistake (it’s average character levels divided by two). I usually recommend playing at least a few scenarios at L0 monsters until you get used to the game, especially as L1 characters with very few items are as weak as they can be.

The modifier decks and the monster decks offer a huge element of luck, though once you know what’s in the decks you have some basis to guess at the results until you trigger a reshuffle. Getting certain monster actions multiple times in a scenario can make it substantially easier or harder, especially actions without movement or attacks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gloomhaven's balance ends up going out the window the further you go into the campaign because the level-based scaling can't account for money, enhancements and perks (so a level 5 character in a group 12 scenarios in is vastly less powerful than a level 5 character on a group 52 scenarios in) and because some player abilities (like executes) just break scaling entirely.

It does a pretty good job though, especially early on, and Forgotten Circles attempts to ramp up the difficulty with mixed success at best.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I only played JOTL but I found it to be an interesting collection of gameplay mechanics which really would have been better served not being connected to a co-op campaign game. It's a bit too complex to make a good "let's just relax and kill monsters together" kind of game, and unlike, let's say, Spirit Island, there's no way for the players to individually select their own complexity level, so while I found it to be a decent gameplay experience in itself, we simply found it difficult to bring to the table and ultimately stopped playing it.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, my group played TTS gloomhaven early in the pandemic and it didn’t keep us engaged enough to stick with it. We found that it mostly boiled down to setting up and executing the same couple of combos over and over. Interesting decisions came up rarely and victory was more likely to be determined by card draw than as a consequence of player choice. The more complex characters and scenarios do look appealing but we were not ready to put in the work to get to them.

It mostly boils down to that last point - It’s legit a very impressive achievement of game design, I’m sure I would have been all over it had it existed when I had more time for games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife and I played through, idk, 2/3 of Gloomhaven in the evenings when we had an infant. It was great, we left it set up half the time, 2p went breezily, loved it.

Then we had a second child, and whoops the ability to actually sit down and play things when exhausted beyond belief went kaput, and haven't touched it since. Eh, happy with the time spent, dunno if I'll return to it, maybe we'll get to the rest of it and go into frosthaven in enough years that we have the energy for it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Crossposting from the dealz thread:

Huh, I had no idea they did this. Looking on BGG it's pretty feature incomplete, without snap bags or many of the merry men expansions, but also with legal-only incentives to 'delivery things to the needy' or whatever. They also maintained the 2nd edition's hideous goods on plain white background.

Yeah, can't imagine why this one is on clearance.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Gloomhaven 2nd edition seems a lot better balance wise. But yeah, the system still has a fair amount of RNG built in.
I legit lost a few scenarios to absolutely horrible draws on monster actions or modifiers :

- Reach the boss in a long scenario, he turns invisible 5 times in a row, we don't have AoE left because we didn't know he could do that and we run out of cards.
- Get cursed 4-5 times and miss all my attacks 8 turns in a row, including 2 turns with advantage because I kept redrawing my natural miss. Still won the scenario but I didn't touch the game for another week.

Still, I can safely say most of my defeats could have been avoided with better decisions, which is good enough imo.

I'll go for the low hanging fruit and say Scythe shouldn't be the 17th best game ever on BGG.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eraflure posted:

- Reach the boss in a long scenario, he turns invisible 5 times in a row, we don't have AoE left because we didn't know he could do that and we run out of cards.
If that's the scenario I'm thinking of then the problem is squarely on Marcel's shoulders for being poo poo at playtesting/design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is it not possible to get just the King of Tokyo costume cards from the Halloween expansion?

I don’t really care for the evolutions gimmick or the new dice, but to pay $20 for a dozen or so cards feels wrong.