Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
phew. took me a minute to figure out how to exit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Brolander posted:

phew. took me a minute to figure out how to exit!

good lord

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final boss of Eviternity is supremely dumb. That entire chapter really is kind of a letdown outside of MAP27. Didn't vibe with 26, 28 is just a arena, and 29 is decent but just so breakneck. They didn't give space for this awesome looking texture pack to breathe and build some pleasant chapels & gardens & springs etc.

Just because its the last 5 levels doesn't mean they *have* to be at 110% every moment! Excellent set though, i can definitely see myself replaying a few of these chapters from time to time, especially chapters 3 & 4.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think MAP29 of Eviternity is ultimately saved by the fantastic music. Makes you want to listen to the whole thing anyway so the map being extremely long doesn't get anywhere near as aggravating as Anagnorinsis or Hydrophobia.

Wasn't too crazy about the final boss but at least it's not an icon.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Wasn't too crazy about the final boss but at least it's not an icon.

Icon can be a pretty cool idea if you don't actually have to fight it. Can't find the map name, but one of the best Icon fights I've seen was just triggering it at the end of the final map, then having to run back through the entire level to the exit as random poo poo spawned around you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of music, I love the fact that Sunlust Map 19 uses an Unreal Tournament '99 track.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Clever ways I've seen the the actual genuine boss fight used: Make you press something that fires rockets at it, or get behind it so that Revenant rockets hit it. The thing IS just a big wall with a skull with a John Romero on it after all, it's got a back side!

I bet someone somewhere has made you do it with Archvile flames.

edit: Actually I am fairly certain there's a map that makes you Archie jump into the head but I might have dreamt it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing Wormwood V and its really fascinating...has anybody here played/gotten through this? I'm playing on HMP since I have never been able to handle UV Ribbiks, but I am totally stumped by MAP02, Spiral Castle. The RNG design is really sick but I actually can't survive more than a single wing...do I need to just get lucky and hope a new weapon spawns in the first area I visit? Do I need to basically never fire a shot and rely on like 90% infighting?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

You always get a weapon at the start of the map with your BFG and that's going to be your workhorse. Basically you want to use the cyberdemons for infighting as much as possible and save BFG shots exclusively for those problematic viles that end up in the middle of packs. Play aggressively, pick your battles and you'll get a full set of weapons once you've lowered the red and green barriers. You don't need to play totally pacifist, but it's better to choose when to ignore certain mobs until you have more ammo to play with. Most of the snipers can blobs of revenants can be ignored as you have loads of space to run around. Remember that the plasma rifle and BFG don't share an ammo pool so go nuts with plasma rifle when you get it. The axe berserk is also incredibly strong.

The nastiest part of the map is the funnel in the water in most runs. Make it a priority to rush past the chaingunners to the lift and use your BFG to kill any potential viles on the way out.

koren fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 28, 2024

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

CJacobs posted:

Clever ways I've seen the the actual genuine boss fight used: Make you press something that fires rockets at it, or get behind it so that Revenant rockets hit it. The thing IS just a big wall with a skull with a John Romero on it after all, it's got a back side!

I bet someone somewhere has made you do it with Archvile flames.

edit: Actually I am fairly certain there's a map that makes you Archie jump into the head but I might have dreamt it

I know that Decino had a video series on whether or not it's possible to beat Doom 2 without harming any demons where the scenario in your edit came up. It required astronomical odds to summon enough Archviles and have them all fire at around the same time that you get doomguy right next to the opening where rockets would normally go. The explosions kill doomguy, knock his corpse into the entrance above the John Romero head, then the resulting damage from the rest of the Archie explosions are enough to kill Romero.

This only works because explosions in classic doom 2 have infinite height and archvile explosions still go off even when the target is dead.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falconer posted:

I know that Decino had a video series on whether or not it's possible to beat Doom 2 without harming any demons where the scenario in your edit came up. It required astronomical odds to summon enough Archviles and have them all fire at around the same time that you get doomguy right next to the opening where rockets would normally go. The explosions kill doomguy, knock his corpse into the entrance above the John Romero head, then the resulting damage from the rest of the Archie explosions are enough to kill Romero.

This only works because explosions in classic doom 2 have infinite height and archvile explosions still go off even when the target is dead.

And then Zero Master went and actually did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpmPLrpGSos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

koren posted:

You always get a weapon at the start of the map with your BFG and that's going to be your workhorse. Basically you want to use the cyberdemons for infighting as much as possible and save BFG shots exclusively for those problematic viles that end up in the middle of packs. Play aggressively, pick your battles and you'll get a full set of weapons once you've lowered the red and green barriers. You don't need to play totally pacifist, but it's better to choose when to ignore certain mobs until you have more ammo to play with. Most of the snipers can blobs of revenants can be ignored as you have loads of space to run around. Remember that the plasma rifle and BFG don't share an ammo pool so go nuts with plasma rifle when you get it. The axe berserk is also incredibly strong.

The nastiest part of the map is the funnel in the water in most runs. Make it a priority to rush past the chaingunners to the lift and use your BFG to kill any potential viles on the way out.

Nice, yeah my biggest struggle is that pool zone w/ the 10 chaingunners and all the viles. I can skip out sometimes but really get boned from there trying to maneuver. If it isn't the gaggle of revs by the spiral maze or the pain elementals it's an errant shot from the arachnotrons or a vile snipe from God knows where. Very hectic, but fascinating map, I'm going to keep puzzling it out.

Which order do you go for? I've been doing the left most path since it's easy to save ammo, take some loops for infighting and then keep the central Cybie infighting almost ASAP but after I make that trip down to the pools, I never make it back out...maybe I should do the pool area first?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yeah it's awesome that some actually TAS'd this out. I wonder if we will ever see the day where this is pulled off manual but it's basically impossible...the spawn rate for each vile is astronomically low, something like 0.5%

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yeah that video shows how hard it is to get everything set up just right where, even with the ability to rig the odds as best as possible and get that 0.78% spawn rate to go off often enough, it took more than nine minutes to get enough Archviles to set up the kill.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Takes No Damage posted:

Icon can be a pretty cool idea if you don't actually have to fight it. Can't find the map name, but one of the best Icon fights I've seen was just triggering it at the end of the final map, then having to run back through the entire level to the exit as random poo poo spawned around you.

I don't think MAP30 of Going Down is what you're thinking of but that's got a similar thing going on. You probably spent all your rockets and cells and shells in MAP29 on the actual final fight, so this Doomcute apartment must be a bonus epilogue right? Well, yes, but also no.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

I don't think MAP30 of Going Down is what you're thinking of but that's got a similar thing going on. You probably spent all your rockets and cells and shells in MAP29 on the actual final fight, so this Doomcute apartment must be a bonus epilogue right? Well, yes, but also no.
I loved that final map lol. Sinister lore implications for the Going Down universe...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loved that final map lol. Sinister lore implications for the Going Down universe...

Perhaps in Going Down II: Actually We're Going Up This Time they will give us a lore reason for why the music is so distressingly bad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

Perhaps in Going Down II: Actually We're Going Up This Time they will give us a lore reason for why the music is so distressingly bad

I somehow didnt notice it really until my wife turned around one day like "ok what the gently caress is the music doing in your game" and I didn't know what to say

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

This man has insulted mouldy’s music and is now dead to us, WAD thread

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MZc0spiCoA

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

In Training posted:

Yeah it's awesome that some actually TAS'd this out. I wonder if we will ever see the day where this is pulled off manual but it's basically impossible...the spawn rate for each vile is astronomically low, something like 0.5%

The only person I can think who would even try would be Zero Master, and he even says it's impossible without a TAS.

I'm right there with you in that I'd love to see it done live as well.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Captain Walker posted:

the music is pure cyriak it’s perfect

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
"Going Up" would be a good name for a sequel WAD. Oh! Or "Going Bananas".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Walker posted:

what is up with the people itt with no taste

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Cyriak music is great for a 3-minute-long surreal body horror animation because it sounds every bit as hosed-up as what you're seeing.

For a 32-map-long megawad? Well I guess it's still as hosed-up as what you're seeing because his map design is self-professedly "chaotic evil" so the music to go with it sounding like you're strapped into a psychic torture device is fitting.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

In Training posted:

Nice, yeah my biggest struggle is that pool zone w/ the 10 chaingunners and all the viles. I can skip out sometimes but really get boned from there trying to maneuver. If it isn't the gaggle of revs by the spiral maze or the pain elementals it's an errant shot from the arachnotrons or a vile snipe from God knows where. Very hectic, but fascinating map, I'm going to keep puzzling it out.

Which order do you go for? I've been doing the left most path since it's easy to save ammo, take some loops for infighting and then keep the central Cybie infighting almost ASAP but after I make that trip down to the pools, I never make it back out...maybe I should do the pool area first?
Left path is good because you can duck into the enclosed area around that little twisty staircase and generate a lot of safe infighting. I'd recommend going to whichever door the map gives you a key for immediately in hopes of grabbing more weapons asap. If you are fully stocked, you can defuse the pond area by first eliminating any scary lost souls or other flying pests and then focusing on the revenants, letting the viles filter toward you rather than them being intermixed with the chaingunners.

If you play extremely aggressively you can do lots of stuff like forcing the big hordes to blob up in front of the cyberdemons on a ledge, which I do here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m86EO3WiIT4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Falconer posted:

Yeah that video shows how hard it is to get everything set up just right where, even with the ability to rig the odds as best as possible and get that 0.78% spawn rate to go off often enough, it took more than nine minutes to get enough Archviles to set up the kill.

Pfft. 100%'ing nuts.wad takes 23 days of collecting revenant rockets :aaaaa: Then all you have to do is guide the rocket ball into the 800 cyberdemons at 4 frames every 14 seconds :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Hx8RGxiPI

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"Going Up" would be a good name for a sequel WAD. Oh! Or "Going Bananas".

Should work in a reference to Sideways Stories from Wayside School IMO.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Takes No Damage posted:

Should work in a reference to Sideways Stories from Wayside School IMO.

The WAD was meant to be have 30 maps with one level on each, but an error in UDB resulted in one map with 30 times the usual amount of content instead.

Wait, Sunlust and Sunder do that already. uh, there's no map19?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 29, 2024

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Sharps posted:

the music is pure cyriak it’s perfect

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
On a less contentious note, just remembered a funny thing about this one wad.

Irkalla, a really well-done, if somewhat overwhelming at times, remake of Doom's third episode, is described in its own text file as a "pseudo-reimagining" and that phrasing has always stuck out to me as bizarre.

Like what's so pseudo about it?

The maps, while recognizable to some extent to their source material, are pretty thoroughly reimagined from what I can tell, with the original episode's secret map even being recontextualized as a mandatory part of the progression because you just got so drat lost that you had to start back at the beginning.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

The WAD was meant to be have 30 maps with one level on each, but an error in UDB resulted in one map with 30 times the usual amount of content instead.

Wait, Sunlust and Sunder do that already. uh, there's no map19?

I love this post.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Bishop posted:

On a less contentious note, just remembered a funny thing about this one wad.

Irkalla, a really well-done, if somewhat overwhelming at times, remake of Doom's third episode, is described in its own text file as a "pseudo-reimagining" and that phrasing has always stuck out to me as bizarre.

Like what's so pseudo about it?

The maps, while recognizable to some extent to their source material, are pretty thoroughly reimagined from what I can tell, with the original episode's secret map even being recontextualized as a mandatory part of the progression because you just got so drat lost that you had to start back at the beginning.

I liked the chutzpah of irkalla but it was kind of tiring to actually play due to how over designed every square inch of it was. Cool set though, I think I played half of it

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Arivia posted:

I love this post.

I do make good ones occassionally in between hot takes about Mouldy Musak

In Training posted:

I liked the chutzpah of irkalla but it was kind of tiring to actually play due to how over designed every square inch of it was. Cool set though, I think I played half of it

Genuinely: What do you mean by "over designed" in a Doom context? Too much detail in the geometry? I remember that was a mild point of contention about the Doomworld forums when I was last really active in like...2004, jeez :okboomer:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

shoutouts to imp zone wad map17 "plasmodrome". cool concept of crawling through the map one way really slowly and then getting a plasma rifle and blasting your way back to the start through all the new enemies that spawned. genuinely creative and a lot of fun, good job to whoever made it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I do make good ones occassionally in between hot takes about Mouldy Musak

Genuinely: What do you mean by "over designed" in a Doom context? Too much detail in the geometry? I remember that was a mild point of contention about the Doomworld forums when I was last really active in like...2004, jeez :okboomer:

To me it's a combination of too much geometry, both in visual detail and in the actual flow of the layout, coupled with long levels and a high monster density (although I could just drop the difficulty).

Another "over designed" mapset that comes to mind is KDIKDIZD, as an example. I don't hate levels like this, and I often will play them to completion, they just include an exhausting amount of friction to me, instead of a pleasantly dynamic amount of friction.

Fine line I know, but sometimes the pieces tip too far one way for me to have a lot of fun with em. I would still recommend Irkalla to people since its not bad and they might wind up loving it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Knee Deep in ZDoom was already an overdesigned piece of poo poo, so I would be completely unsurprised to discover that Knee Deep in Knee Deep in ZDoom inherits that problem wholesale.

That was my entire reaction to hearing about the KDiKDiZD project, honestly. Surely the flex isn't worth the effort recreating that thing.

e: OG KDiZD at least has the excuse of wanting to show off everything in ZDoom's featureset. Kind of impossible to make anything good if that's the objective.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it occurs to me that I don't necessarily like making Doom levels, what I like is making Doom levels look fancy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it occurs to me that I don't necessarily like making Doom levels, what I like is making Doom levels look fancy.

People will often make a Doom level and then hand it off to someone for detailing (the look fancy part). You could probably just do detailing as a hobby if you wanted to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm the total opposite lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

shoutouts to imp zone wad map17 "plasmodrome". cool concept of crawling through the map one way really slowly and then getting a plasma rifle and blasting your way back to the start through all the new enemies that spawned. genuinely creative and a lot of fun, good job to whoever made it

Also this was mine, glad you enjoyed! I had a lot of fun carving up the layout for the return trip