Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Presumably the 9th is going to overrule his "I'm tossing all charges BECAUSE ANTIFA ARE THE REAL TERRISTS" decision as well and hopefully have the judge removed from the case and it handed to someone whose brain hasn't turned into a bubbling cauldron of diarrhea and white wing talking points.

Aren’t there more permanent ways the judge can spike the case if push comes to shove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hobbesmaster posted:

Aren’t there more permanent ways the judge can spike the case if push comes to shove?

Waiting until the jury was sworn in and then dismissing it would do it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Surely you were not thinking of someone in the District of Southern Florida when you typed that out, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The SCOTUS appears to be calling out Florida/Texas' bullshit regarding social media moderation in the NetChoice hearings today.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nitrousoxide posted:

That also seems like something that could be immediately appealed along with asking for sanctions against the judge for loving around, no?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

That also seems like something that could be immediately appealed along with asking for sanctions against the judge for loving around, no?

I mean, it might have implications for their future as a judge and attorney, but it is unappealable by the prosecution and would invoke double jeopardy for a defendant making them safe regarding the issues in that case.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 28, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, it might have implications for their future as a judge and attorney, but it is unappealable by the prosecution and would invoke double jeopardy for a defendant making them safe regarding the issues in that case.

It is worth noting that these issues typically are decided before jeopardy attaches for that exact reason.

If Cannon dismisses before the trial starts they can appeal. If she refuses to rule they will likely go to the 11th to try to nip this in the bud, be it by trying tk have her removed etc.

By statute this is correct, but I could see a novel 'are you loving kidding me' appeal getting some level of traction regardless if she went that far beyond the pale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

It is worth noting that these issues typically are decided before jeopardy attaches for that exact reason.

If Cannon dismisses before the trial starts they can appeal. If she refuses to rule they will likely go to the 11th to try to nip this in the bud, be it by trying tk have her removed etc.

By statute this is correct, but I could see a novel 'are you loving kidding me' appeal getting some level of traction regardless if she went that far beyond the pale.

No such appeal would work but Cannon doesn't have the balls for such a play anyway.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1762961167167664586?t=_3Jr_K2IE536qusA-5Fiew&s=19

Looks like the Supremes have decided to weigh in on whether or not former presidents are able to do a Sam Bankman and crime all day every day.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
So, no trial until after election, awesome job, way to go Supreme Court.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Big Slammu posted:

So, no trial until after election, awesome job, way to go Supreme Court.

More likely trial in October.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is it funnier if they drop the verdict on election day? Or the day after.

I suppose it depends on who wins.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

Is it funnier if they drop the verdict on election day? Or the day after.

I suppose it depends on who wins.

Ideally the jury is sequestered while the recount is happening.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1762961167167664586?t=_3Jr_K2IE536qusA-5Fiew&s=19

Looks like the Supremes have decided to weigh in on whether or not former presidents are able to do a Sam Bankman and crime all day every day.

That they're even willing to consider it is loving idiotic but having any faith in this court is just asking to be disappointed unless you're a Christian extremist or fascist.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
How often does the Supreme court decisively side with a unanimous lower court ruling?
I hear people saying SCOTUS just wants to rule on the issue, but if the lower court is unanimous that doesn't seem necessary

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will be amazed if this trial happens before the election.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will be amazed if this trial happens before the election.

I'm just betting on the most hilarious outcome at this point. Trial and conviction in October, sentencing delayed until December.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This judge has already let Trump dictate the way this trial will be handled even before this dumb immunity claim, so that is why I will just go ahead and assume that after SCOTUS rules the trial will get punted to 2025

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cannon doesn't have the balls for such a play anyway.

What makes you say this?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
the funniest outcome would be no immunity, but he cannot be removed from the ballot, and he wins the election with the charges still pending.

6-3 yes immunity in mid June would be the stupidest outcome, though, so I assume it's what we'll get

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wouldn't you make the same "jeopardy never attached" argument as if they had bribed the judge?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Javid posted:

the funniest outcome would be no immunity, but he cannot be removed from the ballot, and he wins the election with the charges still pending.

6-3 yes immunity in mid June would be the stupidest outcome, though, so I assume it's what we'll get
6-3 immunity would only be funny if it's followed by Joe Biden personally gunning down 6 supreme court justices that voted yes. Putting anyone above the law is just such a horrible idea.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 29, 2024

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

raminasi posted:

What makes you say this?

Cannonballs were superseded by explosive shells in the 18th century

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No such appeal would work but Cannon doesn't have the balls for such a play anyway.

it's literally her only raison d'etre

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foxfire_ posted:

Wouldn't you make the same "jeopardy never attached" argument as if they had bribed the judge?

Don't be silly, you can't just bribe a judge!

- Clarence Thomas, probably

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Don't be silly, you can't just bribe a judge!

- Clarence Thomas, probably

It's still bonkers to me that Ginni Thomas wanted to overturn the election.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Javid posted:

I'll be surprised if they give a "yes the POTUS is immune from criminal prosecution and only Congress can impeach and prosecute" ruling while a Dem is in office even if it is someone as senile and middling as Biden. If they do I think it'll be a 5-4 ruling because Roberts will want to try and appear impartial and see it as a politically terrible decision like when Roe was overturned and he tried to sway Kavanaugh so the GOP wouldn't suffer election losses due to it (which they did and continue to do).

Though if they do declare him immune the best response would be for Biden to just put out a vague "remember that this ruling does in fact apply to current presidents and not just former ones" statement.

Bubbacub posted:

It shouldn't be bonkers to you if you know literally anything about her. It'd have been shocking if she didn't try to overturn the election given she's a political creature through and through.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

That they're even willing to consider it is loving idiotic but having any faith in this court is just asking to be disappointed unless you're a Christian extremist or fascist.

As a dude that knows very little, I assume oral arguments are a tradition of the supreme court. I find the greater absurdity being that rather than rely on the information in front of them, we need to have a goober stand before them and say "He's above the law. Not Biden tho, god bless".

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

Her only value to me is that if the SC starts to come after every form of marriage not anointed by the holy bible, the interracial form will magically be deflected.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Scags McDouglas posted:

As a dude that knows very little, I assume oral arguments are a tradition of the supreme court. I find the greater absurdity being that rather than rely on the information in front of them, we need to have a goober stand before them and say "He's above the law. Not Biden tho, god bless".

Several Justices have said that oral arguments are a waste of time.

Justice Thomas went like 10 years without asking a question in them too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Several Justices have said that oral arguments are a waste of time.

Justice Thomas went like 10 years without asking a question in them too.

The standard statement is “you can’t win your case at oral argument but you can definitely lose it.”

At SCOTUS it’s more useful for the justices to signal to each other what they’re thinking/interested in/concerned about.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Oral arguments promote the idea that the Supreme Court is composed of impartial judges who consult a variety of legal perspectives before reaching a considered opinion. However, while this concept is fundamental to the court’s societal sway, this idea flies in the face of a reality where Republicans backroom with their party powerbrokers and then issue decrees. Thomas enjoys spiting oral arguments because it demonstrates his role as an oligarch. It’s just a power trip, no different from a cop ignoring a driver while writing out a ticket.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 29, 2024

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll be surprised if they give a "yes the POTUS is immune from criminal prosecution and only Congress can impeach and prosecute" ruling while a Dem is in office even if it is someone as senile and middling as Biden. If they do I think it'll be a 5-4 ruling because Roberts will want to try and appear impartial and see it as a politically terrible decision like when Roe was overturned and he tried to sway Kavanaugh so the GOP wouldn't suffer election losses due to it (which they did and continue to do).

In a 3-0 ruling, SCOTUS rules that the president is not, in fact, immune from prosecution for ordering Seal Team 6 to assassinate the right wing of SCOTUS

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SEALs are all chuds. Biden could probably cobble together a team from the CIA though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: wrong thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

SEALs are all chuds. Biden could probably cobble together a team from the CIA though.

Could he send Major on the mission?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Kaal posted:

Oral arguments promote the idea that the Supreme Court is composed of impartial judges who consult a variety of legal perspectives before reaching a considered opinion. However, while this concept is fundamental to the court’s societal sway, this idea flies in the face of a reality where Republicans backroom with their party powerbrokers and then issue decrees. Thomas enjoys spiting oral arguments because it demonstrates his role as an oligarch. It’s just a power trip, no different from a cop ignoring a driver while writing out a ticket.

they do at least provide a more concise exploration of a case for consumption by the general public, which isn't going to read a bunch of briefs and written arguments. it makes sense to have a summary of arguments, and we have those presented as discussions because it's a digestible format

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

So stung when the GWB administration did nothing and then the effete black liberal successor was like "hey guys I have something for you to do in Abbottabad"

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Scags McDouglas posted:

So stung when the GWB administration did nothing and then the effete black liberal successor was like "hey guys I have something for you to do in Abbottabad"

Must have been genuinely frustrating to wait so long before getting to cash in on a book deal.

The GWB era feels like a lifetime ago, I lived through this poo poo but I forgot how crazy it was.

quote:

After the failure to capture Osama bin Laden at Tora Bora, the Bush administration initially denied any evidence of his presence in the battle. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld argued that the threat posed by Islamist extremism went beyond one individual, and there was no certainty about bin Laden's presence. Vice President Dick Cheney avoided addressing the matter entirely, choosing to never mention or talk about the battle's occurrence.

Tora Bora has been variously described by the Western media as an impregnable cave fortress housing 2000 men complete with a hospital, a hydroelectric power plant, offices, a hotel, arms and ammunition stores, roads large enough to drive a tank into, and elaborate tunnel and ventilation systems. Both the British and American press has published elaborate plans of the base. When presented with such plans in an NBC interview on Meet the Press, Donald Rumsfeld, the US Secretary of Defense, said, "This is serious business, there's not one of those, there are many of those".

When Tora Bora was eventually captured by the U.S., British and Afghan troops, no traces of the supposed 'fortress' were found despite painstaking searches in the surrounding areas. Tora Bora turned out to be a system of small natural caves housing, at most, 200 fighters. While arms and ammunition stores were found, and while Soviet tanks had been driven into some of the caves, there were no traces of the advanced facilities claimed to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

Must have been genuinely frustrating to wait so long before getting to cash in on a book deal.

The GWB era feels like a lifetime ago, I lived through this poo poo but I forgot how crazy it was.

How could you possibly forget this

E: oops getting kind of off-topic, forgot which thread this was :v: