Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FlocksOfMice posted:

I've said before, nearly two years ago, that 25% of the comic has been post-Loup.

That was two years ago. We're at 2908, now. We'll hit a point soon where Loup will have been in the comic about as long as Coyote ever was, by raw pagecount.

That's wild, it really feels like barely anything has happened since Loup came on the scene.

The comic really ended with the Mind Cage, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It does feel like that's when the author gave up emotionally, yeah.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Remember when this comic was good?

me neither

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Remember when this comic was good?

me neither

Better times...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the aimlessness is a new development. the focus on lana and loup was agonizing but at least it was a focus. ever since coyote nommed zimmy everyone's been puttering around between like four different objectives without seeming particularly bothered about any of them

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The comic is breaking down into its component parts. It will all become formless blurs of color and lines by June.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Tom has to have ran out of buffer at some point lol

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Coyote nommed Zimmy on August 11

Since then, a bald robot died

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rudecyrus posted:

Does Tom have any idea where this is all supposed to end up, or is he stalling for time?

Can only speculate but there's the occasional page like everyone standing in the star ocean or some of the god kat breaking through pages etc that feel like a step up in design and quality than most of the talking heads stuff we get. Like something he may have had time to think about and want to do "right". It's pretty possible there are parts of the comic that he knows he needs to get to and he has some ideas of how they should be.

I think it would be hard to work on a long format story for so many years and not have ideas at all. Not something that has some sort of overarching plot from the start (even if that plot is in shambles now).

The part that doesn't seem to have much thought is how he's actually going to get there, or move all the pieces where they need to be or whatever. It feels more like there is some check list of things to check off for the plot to happen and who cares about how it gets there. So we're just getting this disjointed mess as a result.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 29, 2024

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

isasphere posted:

Better times...

Thank you. I've been wondering for awhile why I was reading this comic and now I remember.

What happened?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ravenson posted:

Thank you. I've been wondering for awhile why I was reading this comic and now I remember.

What happened?

The behavior depicted was bad and immature and needed to be stopped, because that's the moral of the story

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like negative inertia would imply that something moves of its own accord
I think it would mean if you pushed it the momentum would change by more than the energy you put in.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

He's probably just at a different time in his life from 2005. Living in a different country, married, does he have a kid?

But when you're relying on a patreon to live, you don't feel you can stop.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Much like posting in this well of moaning.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He really does need to go on hiatus and take a step back from the comic. Just... do literally anything else for a few weeks or a month or two and come back with fresh eyes to the comic. Maybe take some time to actually plot out the end of the comic rather than this borderline stream-of-consciousness storyline.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
"don't worry about her"

Now just let me space out for a moment so I can talk about her some more with somebody who isn't in the room

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Splicer posted:

I think it would mean if you pushed it the momentum would change by more than the energy you put in.

Would this pull the extra energy required from local heat? It's a weird concept.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We could have cut out the previous two pages and lost NOTHING from the plot, thin as it is. The area they're in now doesn't look like the splash page, the plot summary was just for the stuff that happened 5 pages prior... loving hell, was the comic always this bad and I just didn't notice? Did covid break Tom, like it broke so many others?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
This week's pages feel like hitting a randomizer button

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
For no particular reason, I'm wondering what would happen if you trained a LLM on the entire body of Gunnerkrigg Court updates.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Randalor posted:

Did covid break Tom, like it broke so many others?

It's probably unkind but it's what I've been seriously considering.

In the retrospective video for the chapter where the Annies get combined (also the last retrospective he published), the one before the Mind Cage, Tom comments that the covid lockdowns hit him hard creatively.

He apparently had only been living in America for a year before the shutdowns happened, and he could no longer take the walks he used to workshop the comic in his head, and was stuck indoors in a place he hadn't fully acclimated to yet.

On top of, you know, the stress of the pandemic itself.

He said that Find Yourself in particular suffered a lot because of all that.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 1, 2024

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Also some fun facts!
Loup first appeared on 7 Mar 2018
The court was destroyed on 1 Sep 2021
Shonen Loup first appeared on 26 Nov 2021

Control Volume posted:

Oh! more fun facts!
Tony came back on 13 Mar 2015
And the comic started in 2005

Half of this comics lifespan has been tony, loup, jerrik, and now this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uTsqJVAeo

lol

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Randalor posted:

Tom has the amazing ability to both thing his readers have perfect memory (references to things dating back to the start of the comic without any comment) while also having the memories of gold fish (Tom, we really didn't need a recap for what JUST HAPPENED.)

Felt extremely apropos for this page, where we went from an unnecessary recap to a grey region with staircases that looks like Extruded Court Architecture, and the author comment is something like “looks familiar” with no link back.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Is this familiar? I don't... know???? Why did we have a recap explaining what happened 4 pages before the recap but no explanation for what this place is. What?? Tom unironically are you ok buddy?? This is incoherent lately

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The comic is now just this, forever

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It ain't familiar to me, nor will it be

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cant cook creole bream posted:

Would this pull the extra energy required from local heat? It's a weird concept.
This sent me down a very deep dive and if I'm understanding correctly "inertia" as a thing in as of itself isn't really a thing when you get out of classical physics because it's subsumed and split up into inertial reference frames, inertial mass etc. Trying to work out what "inertia" was was apparently a big factor in Einstein developing the theory of relativity.

I did find out that theoretical physicists say if you apply force to something with negative inertial mass it accelerates toward the source of the force something something something time travel.

e: so an example of negative inertia would be readers pushing for a Tony redemption arc resulting in Tom devoting an entire chapter to Annie telling the audience Jones that he's cool and good actully

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 2, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

For no particular reason, I'm wondering what would happen if you trained a LLM on the entire body of Gunnerkrigg Court updates.
LLM: It's like my mind is in a cage
Yudkowsky: *sweats*

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I have no idea what's happening now. It doesn't really matter, I suppose.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

OgreNoah posted:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

OgreNoah posted:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
uhhhhhhhhhhh that's some whiplash lol

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Well those are zimmyland seraph bots, that's about all I got.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Okay this looks pretty cool.

I'm incredibly confused though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There Bias Two posted:

Okay this looks pretty cool.

I'm incredibly confused though.

someone got their wish

may not have worked out as well as intended though

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Those barnacles are… butt-esque.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I get everything except the barnacles. Is it referring to she gave us an ocean or the creepy boat?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
So like after an entire chapter of faffing about and recapping stuff that happened 2 pages ago suddenly the comic is creepy, powerful, and good again. Terrifying, thank you very much! I hope the ball doesn't get dropped again, this is something that was clearly being built up to for a WHILE and even if the getting-here was sloppy this is great for the moment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
you fool, you buffoon, you have two days to ruminate on the inevitable consequences of saying "the comic is good again, hope it stays that way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

you fool, you buffoon, you have two days to ruminate on the inevitable consequences of saying "the comic is good again, hope it stays that way"

Yeah but imagine how much more fun I'll have playing Upset or Disappointed when this all gets written off with no real consequence just like double Annie's did! I'm setting myself up for a fun time later.