Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Does the remake hold up if you have never played the original and have no nostalgia for it?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Velocity Raptor posted:

Does the remake hold up if you have never played the original and have no nostalgia for it?

I never played OG System Shock and consider the remake one of the most interesting and memorable gaming experiences of recent years. I absolutely loved it.

A note on “holding up” is that the remake doesn’t hold your hand just because it’s a 2023 release. It’s the first game I’ve played in years with a pen and note pad by my side to keep track of certain things..

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's a major patch that's supposed to bring in new features and some things they promised in the Kickstarter (like the option to play as a female hacker instead) and also re-working the end of the game. They've been promising this since like August and then said in December that it'd come in 'early 2024', so hopefully not too far away now, but it's getting a little silly at this point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bumhead posted:

I never played OG System Shock and consider the remake one of the most interesting and memorable gaming experiences of recent years. I absolutely loved it.

A note on “holding up” is that the remake doesn’t hold your hand just because it’s a 2023 release. It’s the first game I’ve played in years with a pen and note pad by my side to keep track of certain things..

Yeah I can't tell because I still remember the original from uhh 25 years ago (!) but it's gorgeous and the guns feel great, and the puzzle style is way less handholding than anything you will find these days*

*Probably not true, but it's like idk outer wilds rather than an ubi game

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

can anyone suggest a game with short rounds/games (5-10 minutes) where i dont need to remember a build or strategy i was using between rounds/games? preferably single player. i had been playing marvel snap which was perfect for what im looking for but i got too frustrated with playing it as a f2p game. something like slay the spire but much shorter runs would be great. islanders is another example of something similar to what im looking for. any genre is fine really.
im not interested in balatro.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kly posted:

can anyone suggest a game with short rounds/games (5-10 minutes) where i dont need to remember a build or strategy i was using between rounds/games? preferably single player. i had been playing marvel snap which was perfect for what im looking for but i got too frustrated with playing it as a f2p game. something like slay the spire but much shorter runs would be great. islanders is another example of something similar to what im looking for. any genre is fine really.

into the breach.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kly posted:

Peglin is great for this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kly posted:

Become interested in balatro

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Seconding peglin, and adding that you should grab one of the several picross/nonogram games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kly posted:

A good run that gets a ways into a loop will go longer than 10 minutes, but nuclear throne is the closest thing to this for me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kly posted:

Maiden & Spell

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kly posted:

Cloud Gardens
Cobalt Core
Crimsonland
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Crimsonland

Is that some sort of Vampire Survivors-like?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's more like a Tesla vs. Lovecraft clone

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Owl Inspector posted:

A good run that gets a ways into a loop will go longer than 10 minutes, but nuclear throne is the closest thing to this for me

The best game no one plays; everyone should try Nuclear Throne.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Jack B Nimble posted:

The best game Nuclear Throne.

:hai:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

sebmojo posted:

It's genuinely excellent, and worth supporting imo. Absolute labour of love. Some people complain about the end, but the original end was way worse lol

I'd disagree about the ending, at least in the original it made sense to have a cyberspace fight. The remake had this excellent combat gauntlet leading up to the hack, then... well, apart from the hack basically being a bad cutscene, there's an actual cutscene afterwards which doesn't even show you in the right room! It's that cobbled together, which is bizarre considering everything else is so top quality.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I know we're all biased, but it's an excellent game in its own right and the Steam reviews reflect this.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

into the breach.

i completely forgot i have this on EGS, tried it years ago when i got it free and liked it but was playing other things at the time. reinstalled, played a few rounds and i think its exactly the kind of thing im looking for.

ImpAtom posted:

this looks good. theres a free mobile version ill try.

Owl Inspector posted:

nuclear throne is great but ive played the hell out of it.

Hwurmp posted:

Cloud Gardens

this is cool but seems like it has a limited campaign without a lot of replayability.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kly posted:

Circadian Dice?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from Fresh Releases thread:

FutureCop posted:

Looks like Spiritfall the roguelite brawler with Smash Bros-esque Platformer Fighter combat, has made its 1.0 release.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257004329/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1709143267

Currently on 20% off, making it just $15.

Also ADACA which feels like a Half-Life 2 clone where you battle Combine-esque enemies with gravity-manipulating hands that can grab and fling objects, has released Episode 3, essentially making it 1.0 as well.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256894260/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1656623015

Currently $25.

Would love to hear people's opinions on these!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I cannot countenance an FPS where enemies take 3-4 headshots

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

FutureCop posted:

I really like ADACA, the campaign is fun and really wears the HL2 inspo on its sleeve, and there's a cool open world roguelike mode that's Stalker-ish as well. Combat is fun, weapons are fun, love the visual style

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's that time again, where i talk about upcoming games. we're in the middle of a video game industry crash and that sucks bigtime with thousands and thousands of layoffs happening all in the span of just a couple of weeks, the effects of which will be felt in the years to come... but until that happens, there's still months of high quality releases on the way. cherish and hoard them for the lean years to come.

AAA

Alone in the Dark (March 20th) - This may not 100% count as AAA since it comes from a studio underneath the Embracer umbrella, but it is an iconic IP and they've got David Harbour and Jodie Comer as the protagonists, so there is definitely some money behind this. I am expecting something kinda trashy... Alone in the Dark has not had a particularly great game in its lifetime, as influential as the first 3 DOS games were (and I do have a soft spot for those clunky old lo-poly visuals). The developer on this only has one other notable game to their name: Magicka 2.

Horizon Forbidden West (March 21st) - This one got heavily overshadowed when Elden Ring came out and stole its thunder just a week later. But maybe it will find its second footing on Steam, since there's no other major release coming out the same d--

Dragon's Dogma 2 (March 21st) - ....oh. Well, sorry Guerilla. Capcom is still in their hero era, revitalizing Street Fighter in 2023 and now bringing back a cult classic with Dragon's Dogma 2. Pawns are back! The combat looks fast and slightly janky just like the original. You'd think there wasn't a hiatus, and that the original didn't come out in 2012. Oh what's that? Grey hairs on your head? Better take care of that.

others: South Park Snow Day, WWE 2K24

AA

The Thaumaturge (March 4th) - Years ago, Fool's Theory put out an under the radar stealth banger in Seven: The Long Days Gone. They're back with an investigation RPG set in a supernatural 1900s Warsaw. There's both turn based combat AND character building, and I wonder if the latter, mixed with the investigation, suggests an influence by the game Gamedec, which actually had a collaboration with Seven TLDG. Should be interesting.

Contra: Operation Galuga (March 12th) - Although the $40 price tag is pretty steep for what is likely a 3 hour Contra experience (at least if we go by past Contra games anyway), there are a couple of things in its favor. While its visuals are extremely busy and chaotic, the gameplay looks to be the most authentic Contra run and gunning in quite a while. And that's for a reason: it's developed by the WayForward team that once made Contra 4 for the Nintendo DS.

Outcast: A New Beginning (March 15th) - We'll see if this one is actually any good as far as sequels to long-old games go, but it looks fun to zoom around on a jetpack at least. It's by the same studio who worked on the Unity remake of the original.

The Legend of Legacy HD (March 22nd) - FuRyu says "We have SaGa at home!" in this not-quite-as-good predecessor to The Alliance Alive (a game I actually think is pretty rad). This is one to get on sale and only if you're really hungry for SaGa and you've already played Emerald Beyond (which comes out next month).

Single-A/Big Indie Releases

Lightyear Frontier (March 19th, Day 1 Gamepass) - If planting and harvesting crops is just a little bit too tedious to you, perhaps doing it on a much larger scale with a giant mech would be better? Some people were lukewarm on this but I actually liked the demo, it was pretty cozy but also much more efficient and painless than some other games in this genre. It is an Early Access game, however, and won't be released at 1.0 until 2025.

Palia (March 25th, F2P) - Previously just on Switch, Palia is a life sim combined with an MMO. I'm skeptical that a F2P MMO model can really work for a 'cozy' life sim genre-- Dreamlight Valley chose not to go F2P after it was obvious people would not accept the odious nickel and diming that comes with that.

Open Roads (March 28th) - A mixture of 3D and hand-drawn imagery, Open Roads at this point is as known for its controversy as it is known for its gameplay. You'll notice the game is by "Open Roads Team" rather than Fullbright, the original developer of the game and former developer of indie classic Gone Home. That's because Steve Gaynor, head of the studio, was revealed to be an emotionally abusive boss, and Annapurna, in a move very typical for them, chose not to really discipline Gaynor but instead just moved him away from the team. So it actually is still the same development team, but without Gaynor.

Pepper Grinder (March 28th) - Every year there's a 2D game that matches Nintendo's energy and level design prowess, and it looks like Pepper Grinder is that game in 2024. Published by Devolver, you've got a big drill and you use it not only to defeat enemies but also to burrow through lots of tunnels. The demo was really fun and I likened the ground and sky traversal to "Ecco the Dolphin if they lived inside of dirt".

Tchia (March TBA) - The one 2023 game I regret missing, Tchia draws heavily from both Breath of the Wild and New Caldonian culture, and it has a unique mechanic where you can possess animals and inanimate objects and control them. Maybe it will find a bigger audience on PC.

Others: Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley, Highwater

Cool Indies Going Under the Radar

A Void Hope (Tomorrow) - The best way to describe this is, what if Elden Pixels (the developers of Alwa's Awakening/Legacy) made a survival horror platformer with the color theory of an old Apogee shareware game? While I prefer Alwa to what I played in the demo, this is still pretty neat, I love the look of it.

Berserk Boy (March 6th) - Rescued from the brink of death, Berserk Boy got uncancelled last year and reached completion, and here it finally is, a game inspired by the Mega Man Zero series with additional Metroidvania elements.

Summerhouse (March 8th) - A 'toy' game that is solely about building your ideal houses using various functional or decorative tiles. As you build the house out, people will start poking out of the windows and more tiles will get added (I think). This wasn't personally my thing but I know it will be others'.

Bore Blasters (March 8th) - A fun little roguelite about mining where instead of a pickaxe, you're blasting the poo poo out of rocks with your twin-stick shooting aircraft, and then using all the gems you got to upgrade your ship and make it a more powerful and efficient mining machine.

Death of a Wish (March 11th) - If the look of this game seems familiar, that's because it's the followup to Lucah: Born of a Dream, and if you understood that reference, then you probably already have this game wishlisted and are frothing at the mouth for it.

Rebel Transmute (March 14th) - This one's been on my wishlist for a long time. It's nice to see a Metroid-like that is solely a Metroid sometimes. We do get them, from Ghost Song to Axiom Verge, but they have certainly had their ups and downs. I don't expect this one to reinvent the wheel, just to be a solid game in the genre.

Raw Metal (March 19th) - Strange one, seems like a top-down stealth game, but when you get into combat it becomes kind of a third person beat-em-up.

Bears in Space (March 22nd) - If you can get past the really obnoxious voice acting (or just mute it I guess), this is a fun sci-fi FPS romp with fast movement, based on the demo I played.

Minishoot' Adventures (March 24th) - A stylish top-down 2D Metroidvania where you're vmmmming around in a lil spaceship.

Between Horizons (March 25th) - Lacuna fans, take note! This is the same developer and it's more of the same gameplay but on a spaceship! Detective game fans, we are feasting.

Distant Bloom (March 27th) - If you like making drab environments more lively and colorful by your actions, here's a nature restoration game where you clean poo poo up and rescue your crewmates who have all been stranded in various places on the planet.

Felvidek (March 29th) - I'm all for weird RPG Maker games and this one's got an intensely monochromal dithered look to it, like if Hylics was more medieval.

others: The Brew Barons, Sanya

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 29, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 (March 21st) - ....oh. Well, sorry Guerilla. Capcom is still in their hero era, revitalizing Street Fighter in 2023 and now bringing back a cult classic with Dragon's Dogma 2. Pawns are back! The combat looks fast and slightly janky just like the original. You'd think there wasn't a hiatus, and that the original didn't come out in 2012. Oh what's that? Grey hairs on your head? Better take care of that.

Waiting for this. Add me on Steam on release day so we can use each other's OP pawns for free

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Phlegmish posted:

Waiting for this. Add me on Steam on release day so we can use each other's OP pawns for free

Yeh I'm down with OPP (Other People's Pawns)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tchia got a PC release at launch, it's just that it was an EGS exclusive so it's impossible for anyone in the world to have realized.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks as always, T7G! Although I would like to add...

Millennia (March 26th) - Right, it's time for the current crop of Civlikes to try and topple the king. Honestly, I thought Ara: History Untold was coming out first, but they seem to be lagging all the way until fall, and Millennia seems to be taking the success of its Steam demo as a good enough sign to go ahead and release in March. Millennia's primary distinguishing feature is how the tech tree can go bonkers (for weal or woe) if certain conditions are satisfied by the person who gets to the next historical age first. But it also contains a number of other interesting systems like an unfolding set of needs that you have to satisfy for your populace, a tile improvement system that doesn't need worker micromanagement but does provide depth with the construction of building/improvement chains, and a system that lets you spend accumulated points to power up your civilization either from a general pool of abilities or unlocks from a series of specialized pools that you choose every couple of ages.

The biggest worry is that if a player starts running away with early-game development, they'll be able to set the pace for the rest of the world even harder than is usually the case for these sort of games. This not being helped by there being a lot of systems that you need to master in order to figure out how to get a complete and cohesive engine operational. But overall I'm pretty excited for Millennia, and plan on preordering it sometime early-ish next month.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 29, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a Civ game so it'll finally get good/playable by the time the second expansion comes out.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Megazver posted:

It's a Civ game so it'll finally get good/playable by the time the second expansion comes out.
It's an honorary Paradox game (in some sense in spirit, but also they're the publisher), so it'll be good by the 3rd major DLC release. :v:

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 29, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

is there is a good game that plays like Civilization, but is focused more on modern day time period, and you can play any real world existing country?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

FutureCop posted:

I really enjoy both ADACA and Spiritfall. I concur with the other poster’s opinion on ADACA so I’ll just talk about Spiritfall. It’s like Smash Bros. combat meeting a Hades style blessing and system along with Slay the Spire style level progression with branching paths along a series of nodes. Not much story to it, but it feels really good to just play, and putting a build together based on your chosen weapon, mask, blessings and other stuff is really fun. I definitely recommend it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New humble bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/creative-sandbox-bundle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played a little bit of Synthetik 2, having originally only tried it around it's EA launch and it's really come a long way! Extremely satisfying gunplay, those robits fall apart real good. Looking forward to 1.0!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Upsidads posted:

Gonna need the James Joyce edition that has just a giant toner set to "women gas"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 29, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I said come in! posted:

is there is a good game that plays like Civilization, but is focused more on modern day time period, and you can play any real world existing country?

Terra Invicta

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Seems like the EGS version of Tomb Raider remasters has some more stuff/differences not present in the Steam version for some reason

https://www.pcgamer.com/croft-y-sle...d-achievements/

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

lordfrikk posted:

Seems like the EGS version of Tomb Raider remasters has some more stuff/differences not present in the Steam version for some reason

quote:

Croft-y sleuths discover Tomb Raider Remastered 1-3 has a better version on the Epic Games store, of all places

Haha I know people don't like Epic but come on

edit: as I continue to read the article, I actually just realize this is kind of a bad journalist.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

lordfrikk posted:

This is weird, from the OpenLara dev who headed this remaster:

If that wasn't a joke (or a fake screenshot, got if from Steam) I bet there has to be some weird contract poo poo going on between the companies involved. Maybe one party is allowed to support and sell the Epic version based on some base version or something?

e: Could still just be some basic distribution mistake of course.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Terra Invicta

That's really good but it's A Lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GirJHBoVmXQ

This should give you the vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Terra Invicta is pretty grognardy and I really wouldn't recommend it to someone asking for "something like civ".