Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Doesn't "conservative" in Brexitland mean the opposite that it does in the USA

no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Yeah, and now they get to straight-up loving wear it with no recourse.

Could have grown a spine and done the right thing and put this entire mess to rest, only now it's going to hang around their neck like an albatross and be used against them at every turn.

Can't even say 'we'll do something about it later' to protect themselves because they had that chance and machine-gunned themselves in the foot.

Oh well, reap what you sow, chuds.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You are thinking of "Liberal"

Which in Australia means right wing, as the Right Wing political party is called The Liberals, and the less Right Wing Party is called the Labor Party.

Everyone else, (including the Greens), you can just call a oval office.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

arent they slightly to the left of US dems though?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BrigadierSensible posted:

You are thinking of "Liberal"

Which in Australia means right wing, as the Right Wing political party is called The Liberals, and the less Right Wing Party is called the Labor Party.

Everyone else, (including the Greens), you can just call a oval office.
IIRC, some decades back there was an Australian right-wing party that called itself the Country Party, and one of its MPs got into an argument with a Labour party colleague

Country MP: "I am a Country member!"
Labour MP: "I remember"

The party changed its name to the National Party shortly thereafter.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

FMguru posted:

IIRC, some decades back there was an Australian right-wing party that called itself the Country Party, and one of its MPs got into an argument with a Labour party colleague

That was Doug Anthony. Who gave his name to comedy group D.A.A.S. (Doug Anthony All Stars)

And the guy he got into an argument with was Gough Whitlam, if I remember rightly.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

i wonder if the lack of trump signage has to do with post jan 6 chud cowardice that they are targeted by the deepstate or something

alternatively, trump fandom being cheap looking and cringey in nature may have penetrated their awarness enough that the non diehards would stop signalling

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If there was ever a case for giving every account on the forums a gang tag in one glorious orgy of SQL transactions, this is it.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
lol @ trump attempting to get the government to agree to giving him 1/4 of his penalty claiming that he's "good for it" WRT the judgment that he is a proven liar, who lies to the government about being "good for it"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

That was Doug Anthony. Who gave his name to comedy group D.A.A.S. (Doug Anthony All Stars)

And the guy he got into an argument with was Gough Whitlam, if I remember rightly.
:actually: It was Gough Whitlam.

quote:

In response to Sir Winston Turnbull shouting in parliament: “I am a Country member”
“I remember,” replied Whitlam, to applause from both sides of the aisle.

In response to a heckler who objected to Whitlam’s pro-choice stance
“Let me make quite clear that I am for abortion and, in your case Sir, we should make it retrospective.”

To attorney general Garfield Barwick
“This truculent runt thinks he can get away with anything!”

Upon his dismissal in 1975
“Well may we say ‘God save the Queen’, because nothing will save the governor general.”

On the governor general, Sir John Kerr
“It is the first time the burglar has been appointed as caretaker.”

Before implementing the National Sewerage Program
“No other western nation has cities in which the incidence of urban sanitation is so primitive or so ludicrous as in the cities of Australia … We are the most effluent nation in what Liberals call the free world.”

After Malcolm Turnbull apologised for the fog obscuring his Hunter Valley farm
“Don’t be concerned, I’m completely at home. It’s just like Olympus.”

In response to being asked how he would meet his maker
“You can be sure of one thing. I shall treat him as an equal.”

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 29, 2024

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
why doesnt the thread title reflect the fact that trump is legally broke

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Junk posted:

Trump isn't broke he's just illiquid

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

So when is it officially open season on taking all of tromps poo poo

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

PhazonLink posted:

arent they slightly to the left of US dems though?

They're certainly a ways left of republicans, but at the moment they're mostly the party of corruption and kickbacks, and have been looking into republican culture war bs to try and keep power.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lol the SCOTUS taking the case to give Donny time to liquidate his assets

what a god drat world we live in

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

Doesn't "conservative" in Brexitland mean the opposite that it does in the USA

Not quite. In AUS the conservative party has the word "liberal" in it which makes Americans confused into thinking they are left when they're right/hard right.

Edit: incredibly bodied and loving beaten by much better posts especially those Gough Whitlam quotes.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 29, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

OMFG FURRY posted:

lol the SCOTUS taking the case to give Donny time to liquidate his assets

what a god drat world we live in

Yeah his assets sure are plentiful. Get it? I'm calling him fat. Funny right?

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Philthy posted:

mayeb texas should rake their leaves more

This is a solid legacy joke that deserves love

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

trump's diap is liquid.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Junk posted:

Taxed Enough Already!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

One big difference between GOP and the Tories is that the Tories hates cops and will cut funding to cops every chance they get.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Junk posted:

Post ITT every time you lol that “TRUMP” is broke as a joke

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

TISM quoted the exchange in one of their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKO2zhFD-0M

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Civil posted:

Post ITT every time you lol that “TRUMP” is broke as a joke

Broke...LIKE A DOG

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Thesaurus posted:

So when is it officially open season on taking all of tromps poo poo

You can't loot until the crowd whips up into a frenzy. The time will be evide-.......

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

Trump isn't broke he's just illiquid

tokyo reject posted:

This is a solid legacy joke that deserves love

Someone gas this thread before Trump reaches a plasmic state.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

very smart gavin i'm sure this won't come back to bite you when you run for president...

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1762831969690255650

this loophole was made because gavin is friends with a billionaire franchisee of panera bread. so its there for no real reason other than, "i'm really corrupt"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's a weird rear end exception but I mean $20 minimum wage for everything else is pretty wild to get passed

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
that exemption is nonsensical i mean how do you even begin to explain it wtf

edit: also so that i don't have to search for myself, if fresh baked bread gets them out of paying 20 bucks an hour then what do the employees gets paid? i can probably look it up but what's the fun in that.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Maybe Panera threatened to start killing people with lemonade again

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Denim Dude posted:

"the Fast Food Accountability and Standards Recovery Act (FAST Act) includes an unusual carve-out that exempts “chains that bake bread and sell it as a standalone item,”"

How hard will it be for fast food restaurants to start "baking" bread and adding it as a stand alone item? Seems like a big loophole. Not cool, Newsom. The answer is obviously he's friends with Panera Bread CEO but honestly why that exemption?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

"the Fast Food Accountability and Standards Recovery Act (FAST Act) includes an unusual carve-out that exempts “chains that bake bread and sell it as a standalone item,”"

How hard will it be for fast food restaurants to start "baking" bread and adding it as a stand alone item? Seems like a big loophole. Not cool, Newsom. The answer is obviously he's friends with Panera Bread CEO but honestly why that exemption?

read the highlighted part. its too late to run that kind of scheme.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
The Gavin lol Thread: Better Off Bread

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

UltraShame posted:

The Gavin lol Thread: Better Off Bread

:golfclap:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Denim Dude posted:

edit: also so that i don't have to search for myself, if fresh baked bread gets them out of paying 20 bucks an hour then what do the employees gets paid? i can probably look it up but what's the fun in that.
CA minimum wage is $16/hour, although most of the major cities have higher ones (SF is $18.07, for example).

In addition to the fast-food-but-not-Panera-I-guess wage coming into force in April, there's also a similar raise that's going to apply to "healthcare facility workers" starting in June.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the employees are able to eat 4 bucks raw dough an hr to make up for the cash loss

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Renreeja posted:

the employees are able to eat 4 bucks raw dough an hr to make up for the cash loss

just out of context, this sounds like a line from a Dead Kennedys track.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Under my leadership, the Republican Party would not do the things the Republican Party keeps doing with my full approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Never forget Combover Leader.