Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I think it's funny that Tony didn't bother trademarking Shawn Spears, because well, lol it's Shawn Spears.

get that bag. Plus he's married to one of the iiconics. Life is good

Gavok posted:

He heard there was an open spot for chairman pervert and got psyched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I am still shocked The IInspiration never even made an appearance in AEW the promotion for successful stooges

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Hirez posted:

I think it's funny that Tony didn't bother trademarking Shawn Spears, because well, lol it's Shawn Spears.

Does AEW trademark wrestler names? I guess maybe but I know a lot of their wrestlers own their own names/nicknames.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sega 32X posted:

Does AEW trademark wrestler names? I guess maybe but I know a lot of their wrestlers own their own names/nicknames.

they have been non poo poo heads about that so far

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hirez posted:

For everyone mocking Spears for this moment being his peak, it's one hell of a peak to have.

I always liked Shawn Spears but there was no place in AEW for him. When you've got Jay White loving around in the lower midcard there's no room for a Shawn Spears on tv.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Orange Carlisle posted:

first pillman jr and now spears - at this rate they are going to have kip sabian, scorpio sky and a few other forever midcarders that are constantly forgotten about also make the jump and aew will never recover from the loss of all of that 'oh they're still on the roster?' talent

If they leave you can't say "oh they're still on the roster" duh

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

nxt is a fine place for shawn spears, to me. they need guys like him there so the young talent can get reps in with workers who know what they're doing. hell of a lot more useful than 500 hours of crossfit

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Sega 32X posted:

They do not, almost all their guys immediately get hooked up with the gimmick lawyer guy to secure their trademarks if they hadn’t already done so. Only AEW trademarks that identify wrestlers have been stable names, but not individuals.

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

With his past does shawn spears need to come to grips with something deeper that even he doesn’t see

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

I'm curious what caused so many old people to tune out of NXT. Obviously their demo is down from their Becky Lynch peak this fall but 2 years ago when they were down to .12s they could still get 600,000+ viewers.

Maybe they all died of COVID.

Clearly, the older, more refined crowd were more able to appreciate the fine booking talents of Vince McMahon, Johnny Ace and Bruce Pritchard.

And now one of Aeonlinear's finest creations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0mG8OF8VoI

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ivypls posted:

nxt is a fine place for shawn spears, to me. they need guys like him there so the young talent can get reps in with workers who know what they're doing. hell of a lot more useful than 500 hours of crossfit

Since Spears can't headshot people, he will exclusively use his chairs to attack the knees of his opponents.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Hirez posted:

Trademarking anything a 1099 comes up with would be evil

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Goblin Queen posted:

What is he cooking, is there some kind of soup made out of middle aged men?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nooooo I haven’t seen that in years lol

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

WWE fans salivating now

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Goblin Queen posted:

I hope AEW doesn't let Parker Boudreaux slip away next 😔

Might not be a bad move for WWE to pick him back up. They could overdub the commentary on their Brock matches and claim it was Parker who broke Undertaker's streak. Give it a couple years and the fans won't even remember Brock.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Parker Brockdreaux, nickname "Brock"

They don't even have to redub anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I'm curious what caused so many old people to tune out of NXT.
they were all hired to wrestle on it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://wrestletalk.com/news/new-wwe-ring-name-revealed-saquon-shugars/

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

drat, I guess WWE got Okada after all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saquon Shugars is Shawn Spears, dave confirmed

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

1glitch0 posted:

For everyone mocking Spears for this moment being his peak, it's one hell of a peak to have.

I always liked Shawn Spears but there was no place in AEW for him. When you've got Jay White loving around in the lower midcard there's no room for a Shawn Spears on tv.

There was a place in AEW for him but he actively resisted it for too long. I commend him for wanting to be more than a fun midcard good hand but that is kinda his ceiling; serious heel Spears never really caught on. The Cody build and '90s throwback match ruled though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Poor tama tonga

He didn’t deserve to be Sacko Sugar :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/02/29/former-wwe-writer-details-being-fired-by-vince-mcmahon-after-changing-lines-for-pac/

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol at "wwe writer"

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

drat, I guess WWE got Okada after all.

This tracks with the idea I had that they should just rename someone “Ohkada”. The fans either won’t care or will actively insist that he’s the real Okada, so they have nothing to lose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol at "wwe writer"

wait till you hear who Tony just bagged …

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

This story also goes into how UPN had to put pressure on WWE to stop the terrorist poo poo with Hassan.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I did not realize that the Batista “GIVE ME WHAT I WANT” angle was based on Vince

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eagerly awaiting Kaz Okra's nXt debut.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Vince’s weird obsession with Martin Luther King is so bizarre because Vince is such an evil guy. I wonder what he thinks MLK is famous for exactly, lechery?

I can’t believe they wanted PAC to say that line, I think the MLK day RAW where Seth curb stomped Big E and all the black wrestlers lost was intentional after all.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

They do not, almost all their guys immediately get hooked up with the gimmick lawyer guy to secure their trademarks if they hadn’t already done so. Only AEW trademarks that identify wrestlers have been stable names, but not individuals.

Smart Mark Sterling is one of the greatest names in wrestling.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Eat My Fuc posted:

Vince’s weird obsession with Martin Luther King is so bizarre because Vince is such an evil guy. I wonder what he thinks MLK is famous for exactly, lechery?

I can’t believe they wanted PAC to say that line, I think the MLK day RAW where Seth curb stomped Big E and all the black wrestlers lost was intentional after all.

absolutely

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

old white libertarians love MLK because he was well spoken and well dressed and had the temerity to die before they turned into their hateful wretched adult selves, and invoking their respect for mlk is the closest they can come to the 'i can't be racist because i have a black friend' excuse

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
here lies hassan he never scored

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol every day that hassan was actually italian

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Depending on how reliable Google Translate it, this seems to be a name from the Hausa language spoken primarily in Nigeria and meaning "The Governors".

No idea who would fit such a gimmick, but given the history WWE probably signed D-Von's sons and is gonna pretend they are from Nigeria and definitely not New York.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

naming their black wrestlers saquon/j'evon instead of letting them keep their cooler names (Jay Malachi/Lucky Ali) sucks so much but this is the company that gives people loving names like Lyra Valkyria, Alba Fyre, Isla Dawn, Lash Legend, Persia Perotta lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I will say that out of all the bizarre name changes, Gunther has actually grown on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol every day that hassan was actually italian

Just like I lol every day when I found out Taz is Italian