Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This manga will end with Ubel waving a baby at Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

junan_paalla posted:

My pet theory is that there's a martial arts system comparable to the magic system that's never just been brought up or explored because the majority of the party has always been magic-focused. It'll be a payoff for the "wandering masters stopping by to teach Stark" cutaway gags.

The anime fleshed out Laufen as this martial arts close combat mage which was really cool, especially because they probably based it entirely on her design having Chun-Li buns and a qipao-equse outfit, and your comment made me think if that becomes kinda incongruous in light of this chapter lol

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I don't think it's impossible for a mage to specialize in close combat. genau definitely does, and he was skilled enough to fight a high level demonic warrior with help from stark. honestly he would have been good to have around for this mission, but the manga's got other characters to reintroduce

frieren is just extremely not that kind of mage. she's the classic 'wizard who knows meteor swarm but dies to a stiff breeze'

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Scallop Eyes posted:

That first half seemed really tacked on because of the anime

compared to Denken, Ubel aint really received undue attention. hell, she's received less attention in the anime compared to denken. recurring characters from the 1st class exam are already a well-established thing at this point

hell, whatshisname first test proctor versus sword demon already got well more coverage than his introductory role would suggest on its own

it's a weekly shounen manga, characters are going to show up multiple times, especially the ones that got more introduction than just "here because gotta have someone" like mustache dude. ubel showing up again was telegraphed way back when Kraft punched out those rando bandits

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

RuBisCO posted:

The anime fleshed out Laufen as this martial arts close combat mage which was really cool, especially because they probably based it entirely on her design having Chun-Li buns and a qipao-equse outfit, and your comment made me think if that becomes kinda incongruous in light of this chapter lol

I think it works if you consider that warriors like Stark fight by channeling mana flow, so it makes sense that there might be mages who specialize in emulating that and maybe taking it in different directions. (Another variant of using magic to manipulate "physical" elements that was discussed during the first test.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

I will laugh my rear end off if this manga ends with Ubel killing Frieien.

I don't think that will happen necessarily but I do think that she might off Serie. She's that kinda nuts and we know from their brief meeting that she was totally sizing up Serie to figure out if she could do it

RuBisCO posted:

Idk I can see how a mage whose signature spell involves moving really quick could buck the trend and change her style from the typical mage to adapt for stuff like close-range fighting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

I don't think it's impossible for a mage to specialize in close combat. genau definitely does, and he was skilled enough to fight a high level demonic warrior with help from stark. honestly he would have been good to have around for this mission, but the manga's got other characters to reintroduce

frieren is just extremely not that kind of mage. she's the classic 'wizard who knows meteor swarm but dies to a stiff breeze'

Doubly so because modern mages tend to use physical objects as part of their magic for offense and defense which is better against warriors and other physical opponents (e.g. not demons). Frieren and Fern are old school mages so they lean almost exclusively on their ordinary magic to their slight detriment.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

sharkmafia posted:

I think the defining factor is that a mage can survive in close-combat if they have enough warning to cast their close-combat spells in advance. If they're caught off-guard and attacked before they can get their defensive magics up, they're as weak as anyone else. On the other hand, the one thing we know about Stark and Eisen is their physical abilities (especially their toughness, which has become a running gag). It wasn't just that they had the skills to fight in close-combat, it's that they could shrug off blows that'd pretty much instantly kill anyone else.

A good example of it was his fight in the Aura arc. The demon he was battling was able to use magic to mimic anyone's close-combat skills, and was able to match Stark in martial arts technique as a result. But she lost because she was still fundamentally a mage, not a warrior. In the end, what decided the fight was the fact that Stark could stop a full-power axe blow with his torso, and she couldn't.

Same goes for the Revolte fight. Genau was able to compare to Stark in close-combat fighting technique, but Stark was able to sustain substantially more damage than him (including intentionally taking a hit from a magic sword that he had been very strongly warned not to take a hit from) without being knocked out of the fight, and recovered more quickly than Genau did afterward too.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

its all the pushups he does

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ayo his Excellency is actually a shadow warrior?

That means he is a tool for someone. Maybe my crazy rear end prediction wasn't so far off.

I like the implication that he needs to go deep undercover as a loving emperor.

Also don't fall for Ubel's charms Land. She just wants your precious cloning magic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Also don't fall for Ubel's charms Land. She just wants your precious cloning magic.

So that's what the kids call it now.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

LostRook posted:

Everything coming up LostRook theory-wise.

Based on characters we've seen thus far my guess for most likely to be Grausam in disguise is Falsch, the first-class mage with glasses, for no reason other than having a name meaning false though I admit it's rather flimsy.

lol there's absolutely no way you're NOT correct about this

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

tbp posted:

lol there's absolutely no way you're NOT correct about this

two ways this could go

first way is that he's called 'false' in the sense of 'incorrect,' and it was entirely because he failed to read frieren's mana properly, unlike lernen

second way is, yeah, a repeat of the 'the fake envoy is named liar' situation

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Third option: his specialty is like illusion magic

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fourth option: He'll act super suspicious and everyone will suspect him, but that's actually false.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

compared to Denken, Ubel aint really received undue attention. hell, she's received less attention in the anime compared to denken. recurring characters from the 1st class exam are already a well-established thing at this point

hell, whatshisname first test proctor versus sword demon already got well more coverage than his introductory role would suggest on its own

it's a weekly shounen manga, characters are going to show up multiple times, especially the ones that got more introduction than just "here because gotta have someone" like mustache dude. ubel showing up again was telegraphed way back when Kraft punched out those rando bandits

It's not what happened (which was cool and funny) but how and when it is told. The chapter doesn't even open with the usual "X years after the Hero's passing" until the middle when it changes to the main crew. It feels very out of place and like it should have been a bonus chapter or a flashback, I thought I had skipped a chapter somehow because it was so abrupt. It's even explained to the audience who those missing characters are as if we don't already know.

RuBisCO posted:

The author took a bunch of breaks to help with anime production so I'd hope anything expanded upon got approved.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/mangamogurare/status/1762948492333334581?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

The prequel stories won’t be about Himmel’s party, fwiw

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
"Frieren, Fern, Stark, Kanne and Lawine, Aura."

Couple of strange choices there. Why no story about mimics?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Woah, I like it. I hope we get an english translation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Woah, I like it. I hope we get an english translation.

We got English translations for a lot of other light novels based off of Viz properties, so it’s pretty possible

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Swilo posted:

It's not what happened (which was cool and funny) but how and when it is told. The chapter doesn't even open with the usual "X years after the Hero's passing" until the middle when it changes to the main crew. It feels very out of place and like it should have been a bonus chapter or a flashback, I thought I had skipped a chapter somehow because it was so abrupt. It's even explained to the audience who those missing characters are as if we don't already know.

When Ubel first appeared, she got her own narration box which is not something I can recall seeing at any other point. She breaks the conventions of the manga in a lot of ways.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Swilo posted:

"Frieren, Fern, Stark, Kanne and Lawine, Aura."

Couple of strange choices there. Why no story about mimics?

a story about Frieren is by default a story about mimics

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

... but will it be about ya boi, THE HERO OF THE SOUTH?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Kanne and Lawine's story will be about subtext

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rody One Half posted:

I think Kanne and Lawine's story will be about subtext

And how it is for cowards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The adventures of Pot and Avalanche who fought a lot and really loved each other.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gorilla warrior spinoff series

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Supremezero posted:

... but will it be about ya boi, THE HERO OF THE SOUTH?

If so, it'll probably about how he ended up one of Aura's victims. :laugh:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just read in the other thread that there are only 3 episodes remaining, and I'm wondering how they're going get to what's probably the natural stopping point (the end of chapter 60).

There are 7 chapters of material to cover, so they should be able to squeeze it into 3 episodes; but they might end up having to cut or condense some material, which would be a shame because there's so much good stuff in those chapters.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I've been thinking about that too. 2 chapters/episode has been pretty standard for most of the run, so one of the remaining episodes will have to be three

next week will clearly be the big high-budget fight episode, much like episode 9. so that's probably going to be a two-chapter episode to finish off the second test and give the animators time to go wild

then they can either do the fern's staff chapter and both of the third test chapters in episode 27, or they can cut it halfway through the third test as a cliffhanger and have the final episode be three chapters. I agree that whichever way they go, it might be a little rushed, but I don't see a way around it.

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 4, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s been wild going from struggling to sell the books in my store and telling people “hey you should watch the anime” only for them to go “haha mmmmmmaybe” to people going “Frieren? Who doesn’t love Frieren?” and me not being able to order volume 1 for the store because it’s out of stock

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
54 is a lot of fight, but nothing really new so you could do it quickly rather than draw it out. Same in that most of 55 except the end could just be skipped. 56 is the staff + side stories. 57, 58, and 59 are very quick, and you could maybe fit all or just part of 60 into that same episode depending on how you order things.

If you reorder it so ep 26 covers all the fights. Ep 27 covers Serie and the conferment, and Ep 28 is the staff, Slice of life, and farewell, that gives you a better pacing than trying to do the back and forth between the moods in episode halves.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

54 is a lot of fight, but nothing really new so you could do it quickly rather than draw it out. Same in that most of 55 except the end could just be skipped. 56 is the staff + side stories. 57, 58, and 59 are very quick, and you could maybe fit all or just part of 60 into that same episode depending on how you order things.

If you reorder it so ep 26 covers all the fights. Ep 27 covers Serie and the conferment, and Ep 28 is the staff, Slice of life, and farewell, that gives you a better pacing than trying to do the back and forth between the moods in episode halves.

Yeah, I'd say that's a plausible way they could do it. I do hope they don't cut short the battles in the next episode, though - there are a lot of matchups that would be interesting to see play out. (Personally I want to see Methode vs. clone Fern.)

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

If their past behavior has been any indication, they're much more likely to greatly extend the action sequences. No fuckin way they do that for episode 9 and various spots in this arc without pulling out all the stops for a super extravagant finale

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
The anime has been doing the opposite of cutting content which has been great. They even removed the ED song of episode 15 just to have enough time to get in all of chapter 32.

At most, they've rearranged the order of some of the scenes within some chapters to make the episode better fall on a cliffhanger.

I wouldn't be surprised if last episode is maybe double length just to make sure they can fit in everything without cutting.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if last episode is maybe double length just to make sure they can fit in everything without cutting.

this was my gut feeling as well, a longe rep

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s been wild going from struggling to sell the books in my store and telling people “hey you should watch the anime” only for them to go “haha mmmmmmaybe” to people going “Frieren? Who doesn’t love Frieren?” and me not being able to order volume 1 for the store because it’s out of stock

rip

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I bring this up here because I don't want to cause any spoilers over on the anime thread, but I've been watching some reaction videos to the latest episode and every one of them is going "Well obviously Frieren will pass. But what about Fern?"

:q:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
One of my friends correctly guessed that the third test will be "Serie says if they pass or not" based purely on the amount of anime remaining. She's also pretty much correctly guessing who will and won't pass. I'm so proud of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wdarkk posted:

One of my friends correctly guessed that the third test will be "Serie says if they pass or not" based purely on the amount of anime remaining. She's also pretty much correctly guessing who will and won't pass. I'm so proud of her.

What has she gotten wrong if it's only pretty much.