Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kinda shocked they didn’t kick Nardo’s voice actor for being a psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think the concern is casting Liam Neeson, it's the *gestures at everything else*

What's everything else? They've got a good comedy director. MacFarlane is hit and miss but I think this would be more like Orville where he wants to make something good so that will hold off his worst impulses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, say what you want about Seth McFarlane but he actually does try to make comedies, and has an understanding of genre conventions and stylings, which is a genuine step up from most of Hollywood these days.

Also like Nielson, I think that Neeson is a primarily action movie actor who's a bit old for it and isn't taken too seriously anymore makes him pretty perfect for the role. Though didn't Qui-Gon also get some good lines? I might just be thinking of Obi-Wan's tendency to make a great half of a double act.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Popstar is probably the last comedy film I thought was really funny, so getting the guy who made that might be alright, and I think Liam Neeson will do a fine job.

That said, I don't really think this super needs to be a Naked Gun movie, and they could just do something original. But it's probably pointless to ask a studio if you can make something that's not based on an old IP these days.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelticPredator posted:

Kinda shocked they didn’t kick Nardo’s voice actor for being a psycho

explain

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Nard-o's voice actor was The Flash!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would consider that perfectly in tune with the original film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Crow 2 was weird. Just slathered in gunk oil

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chairman Capone posted:

I’ll say that no matter what, this is exponentially better than the abandoned attempt with Ed Helms would have been.

There's somebody who just completely loving disappeared.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

probably just mistook him for Jason Sudeikis

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Like if you want to see Nielsen in a serious performance that's not for laughs, I'd recommend looking into Nuts. It was only a year before the first Naked Gun movie and probably his last serious role.

I recommend Day of the Animals, he fights a bear with his shirt off

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

He's a rich criminal in one of the early Columbo episodes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drunkboxer posted:

I recommend Day of the Animals, he fights a bear with his shirt off

:hmmyes: like Neeson in the Grey. In fact, didn't Neeson also play a doctor on a plane in trouble?

edit: no, I was thinking of the Commuter, in which he plays an ex-cop on a plane. drat, he made a lot of action movies in recent years.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 29, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dr. Plane Trouble

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

He's a rich criminal in one of the early Columbo episodes

He wasn’t the criminal. He was the innocent fiancée to the murderer.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Detective No. 27 posted:

He wasn’t the criminal. He was the innocent fiancée to the murderer.

Thanks I stand corrected

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think Prom Night was Nielsen's last serious role. Unless you count Creepshow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

hard to do cop comedy in this day and age

I remember rewatching NG and as fond as I am of it, stuff like the shooting up the shakespeare in the park is a real oofer

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ever went yikes about somebody else going yikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzC6j1QpK5g

Ace Ventura & Naked Gun 33 1/3 double bill :yikes:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 29, 2024

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mierenneuker posted:

Ever went yikes about somebody else going yikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzC6j1QpK5g

Ace Ventura & Naked Gun 33 1/3 double bill :yikes:

When I was 12 or so my friend rented this for his birthday and we thought this scene was the height of comedy and rewatched it over and over losing our poo poo about it. The mid 90s were awful, it sucks.

Rewatching it now for the first time as an adult I see they were going for a direct Crying Game reference with the sweater and the curtains.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks I stand corrected

I was surprised to find out he wasn’t the killer either the first time I saw the episode.

There’s a similar episode with Vincent Price but he basically just makes a cameo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

hard to do cop comedy in this day and age

Yeah, everything I've seen of Brooklyn 99 has shown it to be a goofy, fun, charming comedy. But I'm not gonna watch a show about a bunch of lovable cops.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, everything I've seen of Brooklyn 99 has shown it to be a goofy, fun, charming comedy. But I'm not gonna watch a show about a bunch of lovable cops.

I think they tried to address the copaganda issue in the last series but it seemed really forced and there were wild tonal shifts from what I saw

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Brooklyn 99 had a really weird final season because they came back post-COVID and after the BLM protests and felt they needed to address police brutality so one cop quit for one episode.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Didn't Rosa quit for the rest of the show? become an independent detective or something. My memory of the seasons pretty hazy but yeah seem to remember that the season was all over the place. They did try and show police issues were deeply institutional and funding social stuff were far better and etc, but as it was so out of tone with the rest of the show it just felt weird, and didn't really work that well.

They did wisely end the show after that. ...or possibly that was the ratings. I can't recall.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I haven't seen Orville so I was just thinking Family Guy's early seasons, which isn't Naked Gun. I'd be happy to be wrong though!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I was afraid to look up the Other Guys as an example since I only watched a bit and was afraid I’d be like oh it’s 5 years old but actually it’s ten but luckily I was wrong

It’s 14 years old

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

I haven't seen Orville so I was just thinking Family Guy's early seasons, which isn't Naked Gun. I'd be happy to be wrong though!

Orville is one of the better Star Trek series

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I only watched the first season (just never returned to it, I want to watch the others), but I really liked it

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Naked Gun reboot pitch meeting

*writes Nielsen on the white board*

*crosses out the L but makes it a dollar sign*

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Crow 2 was weird. Just slathered in gunk oil

That's basically all of the sequels. I remember the third one being okay for a DTV sequel. Not so much with the Eddie Furlong 4th film which I remember nothing about other than I hated it and Tara Reid was bad in it. David Boreanaz however was delightfully chewing scenery throughout.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I had to look this up as well, but apparently the actor who played Leonardo in the new movie is the kind of wealthy 20 year old who spends his free time threatening Minecraft streamers and shouting slurs at Uber drivers.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

joylessdivision posted:

That's basically all of the sequels. I remember the third one being okay for a DTV sequel. Not so much with the Eddie Furlong 4th film which I remember nothing about other than I hated it and Tara Reid was bad in it. David Boreanaz however was delightfully chewing scenery throughout.

Wicked Prayer is exactly the kind of movie you want to watch when you’re laid up on painkillers after major surgery. I got to, and I no longer wonder what the director of Six String Samurai is up to. And don’t forget Vaguely Humiliated Dennis Hopper as a secondary antagonist!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robot Style posted:

I had to look this up as well, but apparently the actor who played Leonardo in the new movie is the kind of wealthy 20 year old who spends his free time threatening Minecraft streamers and shouting slurs at Uber drivers.

It’s a very convoluted story but ya.

Really it’s the Uber driver stuff that’s wack. The whole situation was so online it made my head hurt.

Anyway it’s all on YouTube.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 29, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

davidspackage posted:

:hmmyes: like Neeson in the Grey. In fact, didn't Neeson also play a doctor on a plane in trouble?

edit: no, I was thinking of the Commuter, in which he plays an ex-cop on a plane. drat, he made a lot of action movies in recent years.

Don't forget Non-Stop which is honestly a really fun watch.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

dr_rat posted:

Didn't Rosa quit for the rest of the show? become an independent detective or something. My memory of the seasons pretty hazy but yeah seem to remember that the season was all over the place. They did try and show police issues were deeply institutional and funding social stuff were far better and etc, but as it was so out of tone with the rest of the show it just felt weird, and didn't really work that well.

They did wisely end the show after that. ...or possibly that was the ratings. I can't recall.

Some of the writers talked about how they were comedy writers first. They did their best to tackle those topics for the last season but it was way out of their comfort zone and basically everyone agreed it was a good time to wrap it up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a very convoluted story but ya.

Really it’s the Uber driver stuff that’s wack. The whole situation was so online it made my head hurt.

Anyway it’s all on YouTube.
I thought you were taking about Ice Cube being a douchebag, and a lot more publicly over the last few years.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

joylessdivision posted:

As a fan of the Angel show I wanted to see that movie so badly. Then I watched some scenes with Boreanaz on Youtube and decided that I've probably seen the best parts.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Looks like Coyote vs Acme is getting deleted after all

https://twitter.com/OrvilleIV/status/1763244251922723127

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Delete zaslov