Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

GoutPatrol posted:

He's 2 1/2, if I leave early he'll just get up, open the door, and go find us (lock only works from the inside). And his bedtime is starting at 930 at best? Yesterday the whole bedtime routine ran from 10 to 12 am. I don't think it is not-tiredness.

The nightlight timer is something we have in a bunny form that we've never really used, it could be worth trying.

We had to lock the door. Yes he cried and banged on the door, and then he paced his room for four hours.

But we he was coming and waking me up every 2 hours on the dot, then taking 30 minutes to go back to sleep.

We have exited the throwing up portion of the stomach flu. Child is living off of snacks and frozen foods and television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My 2.5 year old can operate a locked door too, as well as a door with a child-proofing sleeve over it. The combo of the two actually does deter him though. I can turn the on-knob latch by putting my fingers through the sleeve, and he doesn’t have long enough fingers to do that yet. Might be worth a shot!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For whatever reason our 3 year old has no desire to crawl out of the crib, she'll cry for a bit, then lay down and take nap (still in the crib)

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
We bought a monkey hook (I believe the product is called a door monkey) that is high enough our son can't reach it to open the door. It keeps the door cracked, however. Once he's using the potty at night it'll come off and go into our door so he can't come in.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh I just held the door closed. Felt like a monster as she was hanging off it sobbing but that was what we had to resort to.

We went through a rough phase when we started encouraging her to use the potty if she felt like she had to which then resulted in her getting up nine times an hour.

Thankfully she never started just sitting on the potty forever partly because we also made a conscious choice to remove stimulation. She was okay to use the potty and if she needed help we were there but the parent on duty had all the lights off, all doors closed, anything that might entertain you gone. We wouldn't talk other than "good night Diana"

Then she just started wandering around and that led to holding the door closed unless she specifically said she had to potty.

Current series of compromises that are holding: she goes to bed after short routine of teeth-pajamas-story-water. We turn off the light and leave a turtle lamp from IKEA and a noise machine. We tuck her in. She is allowed to get up and use the bathroom as many times as she needs but we will only tuck her in one additional time. She can read, sing at the top of her lungs, move around, whatever, but all lights except turtle are off and if she turns them on we'll quietly turn them off.

Sometimes she passes out immediately, sometimes she's up for an hour and half. As long as she follows those rules it's fine.

Honestly using tuck ins as a bargaining chip was the most successful, we don't even do a huge thing but once we made it clear we weren't doing it over and over she got on board.

Any beyond usual nonsense for the routine results in us telling her we won't have time for a story.

Eagerly waiting for the next thing that changes and destroys all that!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Keep up the work on bedtime everyone, the effort pays off. Now we can just say “it’s bedtime, everybody go get ready” and they do, including showers. We hum once they’re in bed then they all read for an hour until lights out.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
We still lay in bed with our 3.5 year old until he goes to sleep. We've tweaked the process quite a bit but can't seem to shake that part. Luckily it usually goes smoothly. The process starts at 7pm with brushing teeth, then reading 4 books, then lights out. I'm usually sneaking out of his room just before 8pm. All in all not too bad.

We've got a 1 year old too that hopefully doesn't need that same routine. I do solo bedtimes 3 nights a week so once he starts staying up a little later, things are gonna get hairy.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Our 3 year old has her own bed but absolutely hates having the door closed even with a night light on and does the usual stalling when going to bed - asks for water, asks for her pillow to get fixed, asks for water again, wants to go pee, needs more water...

Last night was one of the worst. She got up far more than usual to come running in our room with this tired little cry and we just take her back to bed, because she just simply doesn't want to sleep

We have to wait until she is fully passed out before we close the door but we are trying our best to reason with her about closing it gradually, so fingers crossed we can get some of our evenings back into be coming year

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Trying not to weep* as I read all these stories about parents who pushed through their troublesome sleep routines and now have healthy schedules. In our case, when our kid was 2 she started getting up in the middle of the night and it bothered my wife enough that she started sleeping in the kid's room to keep her there. Now the kid is 5 and they still sleep together all night, every night. Let ours be a cautionary tale, I guess.

*just kidding, I stopped weeping about it long ago

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Of course bragging about establishing sleep routines has bitten me in the rear end as both girls have caught a cold

gently caress me running, I am so sick of my kids being sick

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dismas posted:

tried to do it way too late and she got so upset she'd puke on herself and we just didn't have it in us to keep trying after a few days.
Our oldest also has a strong gag reflex and tends to vomit whenever he gets himself particularly worked up. "Cry it out" is pretty much impossible once he vomits (and now, yells "I threw up!" over the monitor).

Pretty sure even if you can tolerate the aftermath of that, intentionally having your child sleep in their own vomit is straight up neglect.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our 3yo still has no desire to climb out of her crib so the conversion kits sit collecting dust. I wouldn’t want to get out either, that thing is cozy as hell.

To offset I’m expecting our 1yo will scare us to death by falling out headfirst in the next few months.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Speaking of sleep, it's 12:30 am and your two year old is awake but chilling in her bed working on her mash-up of Jingle Bell Rock and Mr Golden Sun. Do you (a) go to her room and tell her to go back to sleep; (b) just go back to sleep yourself; or (c) start wondering if there's a larger audience for the mash-up?

The answer is (d) make a bottle for your 8 month old who just woke up for her usual middle of the night feeding.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kids had this gnarly rear end cough for a week or two now but no fever at all. Take him to the peds on Monday and she ends finding him to be a bit wheezy and gives us an order of albuterol and this really cute looking nebulizer (it looks like a dog).

Follow up is on Friday but I hope we can get him something to clear the cough. It doesn’t affect his eating or enjoyment of anything really. He just coughs like hell and then he’s back to playing with his toys and kicking his feet around. It doesn’t even wake him up at night surprisingly.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Emily Spinach posted:

Speaking of sleep, it's 12:30 am and your two year old is awake but chilling in her bed working on her mash-up of Jingle Bell Rock and Mr Golden Sun. Do you (a) go to her room and tell her to go back to sleep; (b) just go back to sleep yourself; or (c) start wondering if there's a larger audience for the mash-up?

The answer is (d) make a bottle for your 8 month old who just woke up for her usual middle of the night feeding.

Seriously what is it with those two songs, my kid does the same.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
We were on a travel work assignment and living in an Airbnb when our oldest was 20 months old and he learned he could climb out of his pack and play. We had to just quickly adjust his room in the night so he could safely sleep in the adult bed in that room. When we got home we just slapped a queen mattress on the floor and he's been sleeping on that ever since. It's wild to me that there are 3 year olds still sleeping in cribs or trapped in their rooms at night.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son kept begging me to play cars on the floor all morning.

Finally I give in, I'm on the floor playing cars for two minutes when he says "let's play floor is lava game!"

Yoouuu.... You little... I just... You just...

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My son kept begging me to play cars on the floor all morning.

Finally I give in, I'm on the floor playing cars for two minutes when he says "let's play floor is lava game!"

Yoouuu.... You little... I just... You just...

owned

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sucked so hard on a booger sucker that I aggravated a tight spot in my upper back.

This is a real low point.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

our bedime routine is like an hour, but most of it is hanging out. we do 20 min of chill tv to put on pj's, brush hair and have a snack, followed by 20 min of playtime/picnic with friends/slimetime, then 3 books and lights out. it lasts from 645 to 745 and honestly i can live with this. We've been doing it so long that she hardly protests, and is usually out 10 min after we leave the room.

there was a comment about gross medication previously and it reminded me that you can kinda shop around for different formulations of antibiotics. we went to a walk in urgent care place to diagnose an ear infection and they gave us a gross chalky one. we called our ped and she said of course they wont take that, its yucky and gave us a script for a cherry one they took without issue.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Fancy Nancy can gently caress off

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thank you to whoever recommended number blocks. After a few weeks of being obsessed with it my 3 year old is running around saying "10 is 5 + 5!" and knows that 9 is 3x3 and 4 is 2x2

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

My son turned 2 so I have some bottle related questions

1) when should we stop giving him milk bottles (he currently only has one at bed time, but when he wakes at night and with breakfast)

2) how do we break the habit of waking at night for milk?

Should add he’s on formula for a milk allergy

Manwithastick fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 29, 2024

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Jose Valasquez posted:

Thank you to whoever recommended number blocks. After a few weeks of being obsessed with it my 3 year old is running around saying "10 is 5 + 5!" and knows that 9 is 3x3 and 4 is 2x2

Like, toy blocks with numbers?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

My son turned 2 so I have some bottle related questions

1) when should we stop giving him milk bottles (he currently only has one at bed time, but when he wakes at night and with breakfast)

2) how do we break the habit of waking at night for milk?

Should add he’s on formula for a milk allergy

I would work on 2 before 1 because "big kids don't wake up to eat" is a lot simpler than changing diet completely.

In my experience, he won't stop waking for milk until you stop giving it. There may be a few rough nights where you have to give him extra cuddles or other sleep association to get him back to sleep after denying the bottle. He may genuinely feel a bit hungry, because kids sort of factor that night feed into their daily eating, but he's not starving and you'll get through. Maybe talk in very plain but brief terms with his bedtime bottle that he won't have another bottle until morning, and see if you can encourage him to drink a little bit more before bed, but don't be surprised if that doesn't work at all. I'd also suggest to really praise him in the morning, regardless of whether it was a meltdown or he fell asleep with no fuss, and give him a slightly bigger breakfast/bedtime until you establish his new appetite to reinforce that "daytime is when we eat" pattern.

For #1 don't think as "removing formula", you're expanding his palate to include more foods and will gradually shift to have less formula in his diet. If there's allergies that may be complicated by vitamin and mineral requirements so maybe check with your dr if there's any specific guidelines.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

lifg posted:

Like, toy blocks with numbers?

It’s a show and is fantastic. Really helps with visualizing math for kids. I credit number blocks for one of the twins being able to do multi-digit addition and subtraction before even entering kindergarten.

My wife is a math teacher and would love to use it in her classroom, but her kids are a bit old for it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is obsessed with the episode where they get up to a million. She's always talking about stuff that happened millions of years ago or will happen millions of years in the future. I think it scares her a little in an excited way.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter is obsessed with the episode where they get up to a million. She's always talking about stuff that happened millions of years ago or will happen millions of years in the future. I think it scares her a little in an excited way.

Hell, same.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think I mentioned it a bunch but it's amazing and I love it too

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jose Valasquez posted:

I thought I clicked on the balatro thread for a second and was hoping my son would pay attention to the mult that way

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Number blocks is indeed fully sick. My 4 year old instantly took to the show. It’s cool to see her slowly grasp the concept of addition even though most of the time she uses the blocks as dolls and plays pretend.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I will have to check this out with our daughter. She was asking about how big a million was, so something better than watching Gabby's Dollhouse for the 1000th time.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

There's also a color blocks one my kid is fascinated by on YouTube by the same people. They teach color mixing, color theory/color wheels, cmyk printing and how it works differently than regular color mixing, complimentary colors, rainbow stuff. My not yet 3 year old loves saying "ingigo" now. It's actually very cool too.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Yeah, Number Blocks is solid. Also glad someone here recommended it a while ago.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh cool yet another streaming service to possibly buy.

We showed Mini Pony an episode of Tumble Leaf yesterday and it was a big hit. I appreciate that it isn't crazy gogogogo zany action.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

There's also a color blocks one my kid is fascinated by on YouTube by the same people. They teach color mixing, color theory/color wheels, cmyk printing and how it works differently than regular color mixing, complimentary colors, rainbow stuff. My not yet 3 year old loves saying "ingigo" now. It's actually very cool too.

Oh really! I'd seen the letter one, Alphablocks, but a color one sounds particularly up my kids' alley.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Also same

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
N-thing the Numberblocks love. Having a 4yo do times tables is a neat party trick. But now he's soooo boooored of the kindergarten's math level, doing the homework sheets is apparently torture.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

2DEG posted:

N-thing the Numberblocks love. Having a 4yo do times tables is a neat party trick. But now he's soooo boooored of the kindergarten's math level, doing the homework sheets is apparently torture.

Homework in Kindergarten? Yeesh, I'd burn them in protest outside the director's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
We watched some Number Blocks. My son looked at the number one and said, “Does she miss her mom?” Looked at the number 2 and said, “Is that her mom?”