Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think a really underrated piece of equipment is the resource radar. It makes finding all the later zone resources a lot more consistent, you can't really rely on visuals a lot of the time considering the topography and the shitshow going on

Yeah I got it but have spent so little time in the midzone outside of the initial missions that I never used it, and I was panicking hard trying to finish those due to the weather and conditions and stupidly rolling in without enough support items. That said I finally did some deep runs just bee lining it to the northern, non-swap midzone which is a lot nicer and managed to get a fair bit of stuff. Though I forgot an impact hammer so I had to chip away at the sap condensers with a prybar.

I've also gotten really tired of driving around in the rain at night. 90% of my game time has been in the rain at night. I wanna see the loving maps but I can't see them in the rain at night. Yes, I know it's a horror game and being in the rain at night ramps up the tension. However constantly and seemingly permanently being in the rain at night while trying to do stuff gets really really old really fast. I wish they had more varied weather. And yes, I know it's in the Pacific North West, so being wet and raining is common, but like seriously. Also shorter nights doesn't seem to do a loving thing. Really need a "wait and rest option" in the garage so I can try to time it so I'm able to not always be in the rain at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Al! posted:

id really recommend people try the profile i linked in the OP. its not going to be everyone's jam but its the simplest way to get it running with the actual vr controllers that come with the quest/index
the actual UEVR zip download is getting called out as a trojan :(

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ciaphas posted:

the actual UEVR zip download is getting called out as a trojan :(

i trust it personally. windows defender has a way of screening out everything that ISNT a trojan, malware or ransomware

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Does anyone know what the bubbling barnacle is? I need that one and have no clue what it's supposed to look like (and most of the game guides are missing massive amounts of information since AI has turned all the gaming sites into garbage just copying from each other endlessly).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Crain posted:

Does anyone know what the bubbling barnacle is?

Do you mean the belching barnacle? If yes, if you’re being bombarded by acidic artillery in the mid-zone, you’ve found it.

If you mean bubbling barnacle I haven’t a clue.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Do you mean the belching barnacle? If yes, if you’re being bombarded by acidic artillery in the mid-zone, you’ve found it.

If you mean bubbling barnacle I haven’t a clue.

Yes, Belching. I scanned something doing that poo poo but I got something different, like Sick Rick or something.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

If I am correct, the Sick Mickey is similar but worse.
The sick Mickey can be found in The Mires and the Scorch.
The belching barnacle can only be found in the mires. It has the same skull and bones icon, so if you’ve already found sick Mickey and have an unknown of that type in the Mires look there.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

put on the pacific drive theme song in my very real pacific northwest shitcar in the rain and decided it was maybe a bit much

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Atoramos posted:

I don't get VR sick, I assume this is UEVR and I have some questions about your setup. Moving my mouse vs my head causes drift, while I might turn my head to look at something that doesn't seem to center my mouse on that thing so I need to go wild moving the mouse/my head around for it to work. Similarly, I think there's some UI elements that might not be rendering right? Just curious of some quick setup tips you might have since other than the initial mouse/interaction stuff being broken it was awesome driving around like that.

edit: Found the profile someone made for it and yea, I keep getting some UI drift, some of the UI elements don't seem to render just right, and the real annoyance is just managing the pitch lock on the mouse vs using the rotation to select things. It's certainly neat, but man this game could use native VR support.
Go into the PluginLoader section and confirm that you're loading the pacific drive plugin and that you weren't accidentally running the 1.03 beta instead of the nightly for UEVR and have been running it with just UEVR defaults.

In Input, I use "Game" as the aim method instead of the default "Right Controller" which might fix your drift issues. You could try turning off all the various anti-aliasing stuff but I don't have flickering. I'm pretty sure there's an option for the pitch lock somewhere in the settings that I ran into when tweaking things, but I don't remember details. I was flipping all the switches. I'm pretty sure there's also setting to bind your head to the cursor which would prevent drift but that's a no-no for me.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

This happened to me on like my second outing. First time I saw those do that, I avoided them on my first run so I didn't know they hooked things. Was scary!

I love this game. I keep driving in the outer area and putting off the mission to breach a wall to get deeper. I wanted to upgrade my cars more so I did unlock upgrades but I can't craft them because I need so much of resources I've barely seen so far (plasma and some kind of red thing for the level 2 engine). Do you get more high quality loot like that in the deeper zones or it just add new resources?

Hemish fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 29, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hemish posted:

This happened to me on like my second outing. First time I saw those do that, I avoided them on my first run so I didn't know they hooked things. Was scary!

I love this game. I keep driving in the outer area and putting off the mission to breach a wall to get deeper. I wanted to upgrade my cars more so I did unlock upgrades but I can't craft them because I need so much of resources I've barely seen so far (plasma and some kind of red thing for the level 2 engine). Do you get more high quality loot like that in the deeper zones or it just add new resources?

Yes. The main source of the red thing is in one of the Mid Zone area types. If you find a place with Angry Towers or Sparks or something to that effect, that's a really good place to get plasma because there will be Spark Towers everywhere with 2-3 plasma generators each.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So if I put my car in reverse, the hood opens up. Ok, a quirk.

Hood - Is Opened - Car - Inverts Direction. 0 correct.

How in the hell am I supposed to diagnose this? It's exactly what happens. The hood opens when car goes in reverse. I spent half a tank of gas looking around at possible other things happening that might be setting up some kind of bizarre rear end event chain and I don't see anything else at all happening, the hood is opening when the car goes in reverse.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

bird food bathtub posted:

So if I put my car in reverse, the hood opens up. Ok, a quirk.

Hood - Is Opened - Car - Inverts Direction. 0 correct.

How in the hell am I supposed to diagnose this? It's exactly what happens. The hood opens when car goes in reverse. I spent half a tank of gas looking around at possible other things happening that might be setting up some kind of bizarre rear end event chain and I don't see anything else at all happening, the hood is opening when the car goes in reverse.

You've got it set up backwards. It's Cause > Effect. So as you're currently entering it says the car inverts direction when the hood is opened instead of the other way around.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Fake edit for assumed beat

Actual edit for somehow double post

Another edit because the double post only shows up on my phone and not the computer but I was beat anyways. See unhappy meal's post above for answer.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 29, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

quirks is such a great system. fix the annoying ones, keep the adorable ones. become slowly obsessed with the car

i've got one i will never remove where it honks the horn every time i close the trunk. at first i thought this would attract too much attention but now it's like, fill up the trunk close it, and my guy toots "ready to go"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One of the things I've noticed as I've played is that I start off in the mentality of an interloper. The zone is dark and full of terrors. But the more drives I take, the more acclimatized I become, and the more I start feeling like a resident. Tourists were loving terrifying at first. Now they're just quirky neighbors. Belching Barnacles make a lot of noise, but on their own they're not really threatening. Part of it is gear--Abductors, Bubblegum Buddies, and Pickpockets are no-factor once you've got a LIM Shield and Anti-Theft Gloves and Backpacks. You learn how to juke bunnies while driving and recognize what anomalies will go after your car and which ones just kinda do their own thing.

I think the only things that give me pause are certain types of Squalls (Electromagnetic, Acid, and Meteor specifically) and the Blacksmith in the Deep Zone, which is chaotic enough that I won't approach with my car. I'm more willing to go after something near one of those on foot, and I'm more comfortable traveling further from the car on foot in general.

I live here now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Crain posted:

My unlocks and gear progression is really lopsided. Feels like they should rework how going out for resource runs should work because half the time I just run to a given zone, loot what I can and just abandon run because you basically keep everything you loot (on default, obviously if you set it to the harder "lose everything" you don't). Most of the time I just lose some prybars.

I will say that finding the thermosap gems is really annoying and I'm kinda stuck trying to find some. I probably play way too timid. I've also not really made anything from the outfitting station, just the larger backpack. I should probably do that.
LIM energy is going to be your limiting factor for a lot of the game so that's really not a good strategy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so far all my attempts to inject this uevr thing have just caused steam link, steamvr, or both to crash :( is there some other way i should be connecting the headset to the PC?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

so far all my attempts to inject this uevr thing have just caused steam link, steamvr, or both to crash :( is there some other way i should be connecting the headset to the PC?

let me edit the op because i assumed more familiarity with vr.

theres an app, just :10bux: thats absolutely essential called virtual desktop. you install a client on your pc as well, then set your stream settings to your device. then start the game, normal, get to the main menu, and then alt tab out to run the injector

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

e: check the op, i added some more detailed instructions on running in vr

Al! fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 29, 2024

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

perhaps the funniest quirks are those I don't notice. like, the computer says somethings broken, but everything seems fine to me!
*slams door, battery sputters out, fuel tank catches fire*

so long as it doesn't cause problems its probably ok.
had a rough midzone with perma-dark, possessed/treacherous car, and the whole abductor/pickpocket/bubblegum trio. it wasn't pretty.
did not need any quirks making that worse

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I keep accidently blowing up Tourists and I feel bad every time. Please don't be mad at me I did not mean to do it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Currently rebuilding my car from scratch because I got caught in a storm after flipping then using the emergency teleport which caused my car to fly about 200 feet away, my battery died and then an abductor grabbed it while I was crafting a jumper. :shepicide:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I keep accidently blowing up Tourists and I feel bad every time. Please don't be mad at me I did not mean to do it.

I tossed a flare to an Abductor and he immediately flew over and blew up a group of Tourists with it. No! Bad robot! That is not why I gave you the toy!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So I tried out the Ion Shield, just to experiment since radiation feels like mostly a non-issue and uh... so long as you have battery for it, you can just, gently caress about in red storm zones with impunity, it blocks damage from them to the car and you while in ~5m proximity to the car. Battery drain seems to scale with how much it's blocking so battery goes down fast while loving about in the red, but as long as it lasts it's blocking ALL passive damage from the storm, I used it to chase down the purple triangle drop thingy into the red and got back out with all parts still in blue.

Is still fighting for a roof slot tho, and running without either a storage rack or resource scanner feels bad.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Quirks I just cured:

Car on incline - radio lowers volume
Car going uphill - radio turns off
Battery is low - headlights brighten
Headlights are on - steering wheel goes right

All that from one run

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There is a sort inventory button not bound on controller by default :siren:

Wish I had known this *checks notes* since the beginning of the game

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Crain posted:

I've also gotten really tired of driving around in the rain at night. 90% of my game time has been in the rain at night. I wanna see the loving maps but I can't see them in the rain at night. Yes, I know it's a horror game and being in the rain at night ramps up the tension. However constantly and seemingly permanently being in the rain at night while trying to do stuff gets really really old really fast. I wish they had more varied weather. And yes, I know it's in the Pacific North West, so being wet and raining is common, but like seriously. Also shorter nights doesn't seem to do a loving thing. Really need a "wait and rest option" in the garage so I can try to time it so I'm able to not always be in the rain at night.

turn on faster nights in the difficulty options, I did this almost immediately and it's a pro move

the biolights own, purple light best light

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

also there's either a bug or a display bug where adjacency bonuses on your car aren't applying to new tires until you take off the nearby panel/door and put them back on

might just be a display bug but ounce of prevention and all that

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

ComradePyro posted:

turn on faster nights in the difficulty options, I did this almost immediately and it's a pro move

the biolights own, purple light best light

I mentioned that and it doesn't seem any quicker, or at least not quick enough to abate my annoyance.

I did unlock the basketball hoop so maybe I'll just shoot around till the sun is ready to come up.

Al! posted:

quirks is such a great system. fix the annoying ones, keep the adorable ones. become slowly obsessed with the car

i've got one i will never remove where it honks the horn every time i close the trunk. at first i thought this would attract too much attention but now it's like, fill up the trunk close it, and my guy toots "ready to go"

Careful. There's a setting in the gameplay options that has quirks swap out at random after enough time, I think you can only have like 5 total so if you have quirks you want to keep check to see if that setting is off. I've had bad quirks solve themselves and also ended up with a host of "cosmetic" quirks that I didn't mind and figured that if I just kept those they'd "block" new annoying quirks, but they shifted on me anyway.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Faster Nights definitely works for me. Before I felt like I was spending over half of the time in my runs in the dark, and after it feels like more reasonable 1/3rd or 1/4th.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I upgraded to the 2nd engine and now I'm 4 maps deep into a story mission and my fuel is draining at an absolutely alarming rate? Like driving for 60 seconds is draining half the tank. Did I pick up a fuel eating quirk or something? The map does not have the fuel drain modifier.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I upgraded to the 2nd engine and now I'm 4 maps deep into a story mission and my fuel is draining at an absolutely alarming rate? Like driving for 60 seconds is draining half the tank. Did I pick up a fuel eating quirk or something? The map does not have the fuel drain modifier.

make sure your engine isn't damaged

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

There are Quirks that drain fuel, one of which ended a run like 10 minutes after I left the garage. A leak-proof fuel tank will prevent this from happening, but otherwise there's nothing you can do but fix the Quirk.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Apparently I'm missing the fuel cap on the tank? Guess I'll have to abandon this run by exiting asap without doing the objective

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

That's fast enough it's probably a quirk or damage, but the 2nd engine is just kind of like that. I thought 18 mpg to 14 mpg won't be too bad, but that thing just guzzles fuel.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankly sticking with the first engine forever is not a bad way to go. Probably the balance is a little bit off there

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Al! posted:

Had no idea about the quirks but this was happening to me and I also thought it was silly and fun. I found the diagnostic computer but didn't know that was specifically for quirks, good to know.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah something seems off with gas mileage tbh, why does my car say i get 18 mpg, but the return from trip stats say i only drove for 4 miles, and i know i had drained it at least half way before refilling in the field. does the default gas tank only hold one gallon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The listed MPG is a rough and abstract estimate meant to compare relative to other engines and not actually charted to your in-game miles.