Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

credit: tildes

WELCOME TO THE OLYMPIC EXCLUSION ZONE (steam link)

What's Pacific Drive? It's at base an extraction survival game, go out and get mats, extract, build a better station wagon.

STATION WAGONS!!!!!

that's right, you get your own shithouse car to wrench on

credit: warmachine

credit: 30.5 days

credit: sipher

credit: APE HAS KILLED APE

some folks have described it as My Summer Stalker [yikes but accurate].

SO WHATS THE DEAL

without spoiling too much, a Zone (you know the type) has been sealed off by the government with 50 story walls. so of course you want in. game is very moody, very viby. has a great but limited soundtrack. not super expensive. it's a great little game that needs some shine on it, clearly a labor of love that i'd like to see more of

the game is incredible in VR!!! which is exclusively how i've been playing it lol. if you've got the stones, go to this git link (results not guaranteed). i will help provide any technical support for any REAL Breachers ;)

edit:
Here are the instructions on how i got it working in VR:

1. get virtual desktop and install the streaming app on your (price is now :10bux::10bux: sorry)
3. set your runtime to VDXR. note that this won't work with all games, but i highly recommend it for non-native vr games. if you're having trouble with other games set this back to "automatic":

it may not work or run terribly using steam vr or steam link because of the additional bs it likes to run (like the vr overlay) but it might, ymmv. your computer must be wired for it to really work over wifi, but don't worry VD will nag you if you don't have it set up that way.
3. download latest uevr and profile release from the git in the link in the op
4. the profile should be a zip file, open uevr and click "import config"

navigate to wherever you put that zip file. it will extract then automatically open the folder so you know it's done.
5. your settings should look something like this (this is how it looks when successfully injected)

6. launch the game
7. alt tab to uevr and click "inject". it should automatically take you back to the game
8. when successful you should get this black box:

in addition, you should get a blue box in the upper left corner. this is what tells you that the profile is loaded as well.

if you want to change your hand, go to "input" and switch right controller with left controller control.

Al! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
chuffed my hoarder home made it in

I have a very basic game question -- is the time limit just the time limit until the zone collapse starts, anchors or no anchors? I think maybe I have never made it all the way to the zone collapsing before grabbing one out

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
What kinda rig you running OP? I've been trying VR but I've gotta tone the graphics down too much for my taste to make it playable (to me). Game loving owns though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

.Ataraxia. posted:

What kinda rig you running OP? I've been trying VR but I've gotta tone the graphics down too much for my taste to make it playable (to me). Game loving owns though.

im running it off of a quest 3 and a lenovo legion laptop, through airlink (wireless). had to fiddle with the settings and make sure i was running in dx12 to get it smooth

one thing i wish someone told me about this earlier is you absolutely have to have your computer wired directly to your router. if you try to run vr from your pc over wifi it just simply fucks up all the time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tildes posted:

I have a very basic game question -- is the time limit just the time limit until the zone collapse starts, anchors or no anchors? I think maybe I have never made it all the way to the zone collapsing before grabbing one out

As far as I know yes. Depending on what I'm doing, I either grab them as I go, or I beeline to them and scoop them all up before I start looting proper ("I came to this zone to loot" vs "I'm just passing through and any loot is a bonus."

I finished the game. The ending is fine, I guess. It feels like a Firewatch style anticlimax, but without the layers of meaning that lets Firewatch's anticlimax actually pay off when you think it over. I think part of that is you don't really have a personal connection to Oppy, Francis, and Tobias beyond listening to their banter on the radio. So their motivations and struggles might simply not interest you. The 'revelation' at the Well is big, but not personal. It's neat, but without a stronger connection to the voices on the radio, I don't think it resonates and ends up feeling bland. And the final drive itself is a Halo 1 style Warthog Run, which I feel like could have offered more tension--most extractions from normal zones are more nail-biting.

Separating this out since it's a lower-grade of spoiler, but you can continue after finishing The End of the Road, so don't worry about a point of no return.

At any rate, I need to work on my car more. Olympium parts call to me. I need to find a nice configuration that doesn't hide all the paint and decals under the greebles.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Al! posted:

im running it off of a quest 3 and a lenovo legion laptop, through airlink (wireless). had to fiddle with the settings and make sure i was running in dx12 to get it smooth

one thing i wish someone told me about this earlier is you absolutely have to have your computer wired directly to your router. if you try to run vr from your pc over wifi it just simply fucks up all the time.

Thanks! I've got my trusty Quest 2 that I do a lot of airlink with, but this game takes some beefier specs than I'm used to. I'll do some more tinkering and see if I can get it dialed in because this game has some perfect for VR atmosphere.

.Ataraxia. fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 27, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

.Ataraxia. posted:

Thanks! I've got my trusty Quest 2 that I do a lot of airlink with, but this game takes some beefier specs than in used to. I'll do some more tinkering and see if I can get it dialed in because this game has some perfect for VR atmosphere.

be willing to turn off antialiasing entirely, I've found. your mirrors are kind of expensive too

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for the explanations of how the storm works and what it actually is! I guess I’ll get to experience this more once I start getting to harder zones.

One question is:

what is the red zone vs the yellow zone? Is the yellow just hurts you a bit but red is kills you?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

tildes posted:

Ty for the explanations of how the storm works and what it actually is! I guess I’ll get to experience this more once I start getting to harder zones.

One question is:

what is the red zone vs the yellow zone? Is the yellow just hurts you a bit but red is kills you?

yellow is radiation, yeah

Important gameplay tips:

* The radio is on the roof near your rear view mirror.
* Dumpster Pearls are resource loot boxes. You grind them up in the matter deconstructor in the garage.
* You already have a carbureted engine in your car, you don't have to make another.
* You can usually get stuff out of the friendly dumpster twice per return, and sometimes more
* In addition to the Free Car you can grind for resources every time you return, there are always one or two Free Electronics on the shelves outside.
* Get the matter reconstructor as soon as possible. It completely changes the economy of repairing your car

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 27, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tildes posted:

One question is:

Yellow is basically being permanently inside a Hot Dust anomaly. 5k radiation.

I've never actually gotten caught in the red personally.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

tildes posted:

If you're short on LIM, be aware there is an estimation for how many anchors are in a zone at the top of the zone readout on the projector. Most are "low" or "none" but as you unlock more junctions, you'll have better odds of finding "OK" or better junctions you can use to stock up on LIM.

Unrelated, but something I've discovered: There are diminishing returns on LIM awarded as you pick up more anchors. The dimishing returns are shared across all anchor types. So if you pick a couple stable anchors, go into the midzone and pick up a couple unstable anchors, you'll get 2.something LIM of both types. If you avoid stable anchors and just pick up two unstable anchors you'll get like 5 or 6 unstable LIM. Corrupted LIM gives fewer returns across the board and gets destroyed by the diminishing returns, it's very upsetting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

yellow is radiation, yeah

Important gameplay tips:

* The radio is on the roof near your rear view mirror.
* Dumpster Pearls are resource loot boxes. You grind them up in the matter deconstructor in the garage.
* You already have a carbureted engine in your car, you don't have to make another.
* You can usually get stuff out of the friendly dumpster twice per return, and sometimes more
* In addition to the Free Car you can grind for resources every time you return, there are always one or two Free Electronics on the shelves outside.
* Get the matter reconstructor as soon as possible. It completely changes the economy of repairing your car

A note on the Free Car--it ceases to regenerate after you enter the Mid Zone for the first time. But the Computer and Radio on the rack behind it are there for the whole game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My car totally regenerates

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

throw flares at everything. Tourist? flares. weird radiation zone? flares. that thing trying to steal your car? f l a r e s.
it isn't always helpful, but it can be informative. or funny. just maybe don't stand too close.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wish i could keep a happy bunny around the shop, just to hang out with

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

30.5 Days posted:

Unrelated, but something I've discovered: There are diminishing returns on LIM awarded as you pick up more anchors. The dimishing returns are shared across all anchor types. So if you pick a couple stable anchors, go into the midzone and pick up a couple unstable anchors, you'll get 2.something LIM of both types. If you avoid stable anchors and just pick up two unstable anchors you'll get like 5 or 6 unstable LIM. Corrupted LIM gives fewer returns across the board and gets destroyed by the diminishing returns, it's very upsetting.
I don't think that's true, in my experience. I think LIM anchors just have a random/variable amount of energy apiece, usually indicated by the size of their zone and the amount of little glowing globs inside.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't beaten the game yet but I find myself thinking my biggest complaint is that it goes too fast. The item economy is such that virtually everything worth finding is a generic resource, so there's very rarely anything you'll come across that feels like a truly worthwhile find, just more or less of a resource. Unlocks come thick and fast and I find myself skipping tools and car parts often, with little need. I got through most of the tech tree too quickly and there's no need to explore every junction once, let alone return to them. I'm filling out the edges of the map more or less for its own sake and at this point not bothering to really loot anything except rare late-zone materials, and even those come thick and fast.

I appreciate all the options that reduce the difficulty but I'd love more that increase it, especially slowing down meta-progress. Each run can be roughly the same difficulty but just cranking up the costs for things and making some resources scarcer or tweaking their relative balance could really make for a "long haul" type playthrough that takes much longer. I'd really love something like that for my second playthrough.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am loving it so far but gently caress the lack of saving. They add all sorts of excellent ways to tailor the difficulty in the options but then if I have to leave 20 minutes into a run then I lose my progress? I hope that changes.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I am loving it so far but gently caress the lack of saving. They add all sorts of excellent ways to tailor the difficulty in the options but then if I have to leave 20 minutes into a run then I lose my progress? I hope that changes.

Well the difficulty options don't save for me either so at least they're consistent.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

tildes posted:

Red zone: it's a higher dose of radiation than yellow, you don't instantly die. It's high enough to damage the car so if you aren't almost out good luck. I got out with 2% hp the one time I've been caught in it, basically had to replace every panel though I was still on crude at that point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

So I don't know if people are catching this or not, but the game autosaves on zone transitions. Like, I've seen people on the steam forums (predictably) freaking out like "I'm an hour into a run and I can't save??" and I'm finding it hard to believe they can't either drive to the next zone or anchor home or they have an hour worth of progress on one map. Either drive to the next map or speedrun the anchor home if you're on the last map of the drive, or at worst if you do have to immediately leave you just lose whatever you did since the last junction change.

I dunno, I've never had an issue quitting within less than 10 minutes if I decide I'm done, so I'm really wondering if people are not picking up on it autosaving every map. If you quit out from a map it'll even be like "2 minutes since your last save" or whatever.

(edit) or this vvv

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 27, 2024

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

turn off losing stuff on death, abandon run. done.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
My only real complaint about the game is that the sound track is really good and moody and I love listening to the in-game radio in any game that has one.

Except there's not enough songs and I'm about to lose it if I listen to Doctor Juice doot doot doot dooo and Sister Squeeze dooot doo doo dooo anymore

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
agreed, if the radio had like 3-4 more songs it would be perfect in terms of a rotation.

currently having a lot of fun with the game; i hope they keep updating it since i think what they have in terms of atmosphere and foundation is perfect. something like a random deep drive where you start off with a crude car and gotta build it up as you go for 6-7 nodes would be a lot of fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FZeroRacer posted:

agreed, if the radio had like 3-4 more songs it would be perfect in terms of a rotation.

currently having a lot of fun with the game; i hope they keep updating it since i think what they have in terms of atmosphere and foundation is perfect. something like a random deep drive where you start off with a crude car and gotta build it up as you go for 6-7 nodes would be a lot of fun.
The game has an absolute ton of potential for new alternate gamemodes. Really solid core gameplay and foundation and I hope they spin it off into weird other interpretations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wonder if this will become a new genre. Extraction Driver or Car-kov.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Still feel like I'm stumbling on repairing my car after a run. I know someone here or the survival thread mentioned that repair putty is maybe not what you're supposed to do, but I'm scrapping tons of cars (most of my time on the road, really!) and just burning through scrap metal between early research/garage upgrades and trying to get an even passably repaired car by the next time I go out seems impossible. I also didn't realize decals were consumable. :(

So any advice here? I'm not taking any risks that seem crazy, but inevitably I come back with some rough damage. Whats the strategy? Am I really supposed to get the "repair stuff when you're gone" and build two sets of panels? I feel like I've been an idiot about this game in many ways but this one is making me really feel dumb.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
go full loot goblin in areas with perpetual stability and get a good amount of scrap metal from going ham on every car wreck you see. Once you have that station at home that repairs car parts you put in after a drive you can repair half your car for free pretty much every run. Don't waste any putty on crude parts too, just build a new one and recycle the partial broken one.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

go full loot goblin in areas with perpetual stability and get a good amount of scrap metal from going ham on every car wreck you see. Once you have that station at home that repairs car parts you put in after a drive you can repair half your car for free pretty much every run. Don't waste any putty on crude parts too, just build a new one and recycle the partial broken one.

I guess that's what I'm doing, I'm just still early on. I quickly went up to steel stuff, which felt like I should start using putty for - but I cannot sustain myself on putty. Guess I just need to rush the repair upgrade.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Still feel like I'm stumbling on repairing my car after a run. I know someone here or the survival thread mentioned that repair putty is maybe not what you're supposed to do, but I'm scrapping tons of cars (most of my time on the road, really!) and just burning through scrap metal between early research/garage upgrades and trying to get an even passably repaired car by the next time I go out seems impossible. I also didn't realize decals were consumable. :(

So any advice here? I'm not taking any risks that seem crazy, but inevitably I come back with some rough damage. Whats the strategy? Am I really supposed to get the "repair stuff when you're gone" and build two sets of panels? I feel like I've been an idiot about this game in many ways but this one is making me really feel dumb.
your car is always going to take some damage driving around but ive been rocking the same set of panels and such for a while now. you can easily stock up on repair putty (chemicals are easy to find when you hunt down the specific buildings that have em, and you can recycle paint for chems). in time you'll figure out better ways for quick repairs.

you earn so much stuff incidentally while you're out grabbing other things you need that imo it's hard to not be completely full of stuff outside of like, things that are mid or deep zone specific.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

your car is always going to take some damage driving around but ive been rocking the same set of panels and such for a while now. you can easily stock up on repair putty (chemicals are easy to find when you hunt down the specific buildings that have em, and you can recycle paint for chems). in time you'll figure out better ways for quick repairs.

you earn so much stuff incidentally while you're out grabbing other things you need that imo it's hard to not be completely full of stuff outside of like, things that are mid or deep zone specific.

Ah okay, so I mean I think my suspicion of "You just need to keep playing and it won't be so annoying" is what I'm running into.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I like how you slowly learn behaviors of all these weird things, and then the game can throw a twist at you based on your understanding of these behaviors. Or else I misunderstood something that happened. Either way it was the spookiest thing for me: I was making my way into the middle zone for the first time driving through that big intimidating break in the wall, generally feeling out of place and spooked. I'm slowly weaving through a huge crowd of tourists, and generally unsettled by the nature of my surroundings, when I realize all these tourists potentially have valuable resources. So I stop my car in a safe spot, get out, and drop a flare in the middle of all the tourists. I've done this a dozen times in the woods- I'll look away and they'll all be huddled around the flare and I can blow them all up at once. Well this time when I turned around they all disappeared. Of the fifty or so tourists that had been in the room, only one solitary tourist was left staring at my flare. Where did they all go?

I have no idea why that happened, and objectively it wasn't that threatening, but it felt so incredibly wrong and I didn't understand it so I just got back in my car and drove away as fast as possible.

What an atmospheric game.

FZeroRacer posted:

I still only have steel panels/doors and maybe this will change with more advanced parts, but it feels like it's always going to be a lot more sustainable to just rip all the pieces off of my car and remake them rather than using up chemicals for repair putty. I know where to find chemicals- they're my number one priority in every map. But I'm still getting a tiny trickle of chemicals compared to the torrent of scrap metal.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I could be very wrong but I believe that putty uses the same amount of durability regardless of how much repairing it does, so at the beginning of the game I would just not repair parts that were above ~75% or so. I still don't repair anything above 90, but the matter regenerator makes it so that you don't really have to use much putty at all even if your car is hosed. The blowtorch lets you actually do small spot repairs since it uses durability based on amount repaired so if I run out of regenerator slots I'll use that for anything dark blue.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

If the creators of this game haven't played The Long Drive I would be shocked.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Really enjoying the atmosphere so far. First time I came across a gathering of tourists, they were waiting outside a shop, I explored the area a little, turned back to face them and was like "have they moved? Nah." continued for a bit, looked back and one was right in my face, Dr Who weeping angel style: Uh... I'm gonna shop elsewhere. Super effective creepy moment.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

The game has an absolute ton of potential for new alternate gamemodes. Really solid core gameplay and foundation and I hope they spin it off into weird other interpretations.

my wishlist is first, some sort of folder you could just drop tracks into or better yet a spotify integration of some sort, then some sort of non story mode that lets you explore the zone at your own leasure, and third workshop support for paint and decals.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So if you stand too close to the car while opening the trunk, you bonk yourself in the head and lose 1 or 2 percent health.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Love the hell out of this so far. Definitely got its quirks but it's absolutely worth the price paid.

I'm still loving around exploring and putting off the Mid-Zone missions which I might start today, but I like being a loot gremlin and just cruising. I can see where people might find the gameplay loop a little repetitive but it's scratching an itch.

Echoing the love for the game's atmosphere - my favorite Zone condition so far has been perpetual darkness. Driving through it is cool enough, but it's even more eerie to step out with my lights running, go trash picking in near-total darkness, then turn around to see my headlights cutting through the gloom leading the way back to the car.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

So if you stand too close to the car while opening the trunk, you bonk yourself in the head and lose 1 or 2 percent health.

you can tell at least one of the developers really owned a hatchback at one point because bonking yourself classic hatchback experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

and you can recycle paint for chems

37 hours, finished the game, not once did I think to try this.