Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget the turbolift dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just make a goddamn Star Trek series set in the same time period as Lower Deck and make it live action. Then have them explore stuff. Make it 22 episodes a season.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Just make a goddamn Star Trek series set in the same time period as Lower Deck and make it live action. Then have them explore stuff. Make it 22 episodes a season.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just finished watching DS9's "Past Tense." It ruled, especially after how difficult it was to watch through "Fascination."

Does Sisko becoming a pivotal historical figure ever come up again?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Nah gently caress that, the Enterprise-G's a big pile of poo poo!

I should have said "an" Enterprise-G because it's my personal headcanon that they took the G we got in Picard out on one mission, it got loving totalled, and they just gave Seven a Galaxy-II class Enterprise-G and just called the previous one a joke that they played on JL.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ChickenHeart posted:

Just finished watching DS9's "Past Tense." It ruled, especially after how difficult it was to watch through "Fascination."

Does Sisko becoming a pivotal historical figure ever come up again?

Eh who can tell. All those hew-mons look alike.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure with parmount in the massive debt they're already in, their having enough trouble paying for what they're makin at the moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure with parmount in the massive debt they're already in, their having enough trouble paying for what they're makin at the moment.

The dril candles tweet only replace candles with Yellowstone spin offs. Someone who is good at economy help me, my unprofitable streaming service is dying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Squiggle posted:

That is a real quote.

That and the "power of math" scene are just so... representative of the show as a whole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6lclzhJsw

Strange New Worlds, spun off from this very season, doesn't come across nearly as poorly.
One of the weirder things to me in that is a human saying "oh my god" in star trek.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

One of the weirder things to me in that is a human saying "oh my god" in star trek.

Bones loved saying “my god…”

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Somehow despite the debt they have money for a Section 31 movie and Starfleet Academy spinoff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TuxedoOrca posted:

Somehow despite the debt they have money for a Section 31 movie and Starfleet Academy spinoff.

Despite the debt made by making terrible decisions, they are making more terrible decisions. Yeah that tracks.

Academy could just be a hail mary to find some YA smash hit. Doesn't seem likely to me, but like hell I know what the YA audience are into these days.
If paramount think Riversdale, than maybe at least we'll get some fun craziness out of it. ....that's a very unlikely best case though.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Paramount just really, desperately, wants to make Star Trek "cool".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TuxedoOrca posted:

I hope they go Star Trek: 90210

Just really lean into a young 20's drama set at the Academy. So many romances!

Red Squad!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

I hope they go Star Trek: 90210

Just really lean into a young 20's drama set at the Academy. So many romances!

Red Squad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol yeah, that's the stuff.

"I'm pregnant".

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Haha, yes!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fortunately, as demonstrated by that clip, stargate is aware enough not to fall into that trap-

never mind

(I wonder if the first rumblings of universe were already happening when they made that episode and that's what prompted it)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i liked universe, i wanted to know what the deal with the blue fish aliens was

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It improved with time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Of course, there was that episode with the teenage Jack clone going back to high school.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I try not to think about that one. Skeeved me out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah that episode was great until a very uncomfortable last 30 seconds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Fortunately, as demonstrated by that clip, stargate is aware enough not to fall into that trap-

never mind

(I wonder if the first rumblings of universe were already happening when they made that episode and that's what prompted it)

Season 2 managed to reverse its nosedive into something decent, but the damage was clearly already done. (Also I'd say the origin was less "teen drama" and more "Battlestar Galactica is popular, Make It Like Battlestar Galactica" was the impetus.)

If we're just gonna poke fun at that episode, we can't forget the part right after with them finally addressing the Leviathan in the room regarding the main cast for the Ori seasons :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNDdlCo4rA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(Also I'd say the origin was less "teen drama" and more "Battlestar Galactica is popular, Make It Like Battlestar Galactica" was the impetus.)

Yeah, that's true, they've said that was pretty much word for word what the network told them.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

counterfeitsaint posted:

All this talk about loving Klingon affection from early NuTrek reminded me of that episode of Picard with the cold open that starts with an extreme closeup of an eyeball, which is then slowly ripped out in graphic detail. Later we learn that was the borg kid Seven helped raise on Voyager. The procedure killed him. RIP

This is not an isolated incident. I went looking for a good youtube clip of the classic "YUM YUM" scene from STD. There's not a good one, but instead I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlxugk3Qb0

Stating up top that I’ve never seen this short, or any new Trek, besides a couple episodes of Lower Decks. I’m yelling at a deliberately provocative YouTube video. Everything I hear about the new shows makes me ornery, and it’s one of the reasons why no one visits me at the old folks home. Ok.

TOO BE FAIR if you were trying to faithfully represent the human animal, people in the Star Trek universe, especially ones with the instinct and skill to accumulate power, are probably the same ol pricks we have today, and the big success of their culture is that it organized in a way that accounts and compensates for their presence so that you don’t get *waves hand around at the present* (I’m sure magic sci-fi post scarcity tech also helps keep the prickishness from getting too cataclysmic as well). I don’t honestly believe that there are essentially different human natures hiding under our bad cultural education; we’re aggressive, conflicted, apes with a spectrum of potential shittiness that varies between individuals, and no amount of societal improvements will take that away. Even with the compensatory elements of their culture, I am sure there are tons of posts in Starfleet run by toxic monsters who’re hell to work for, but people try to keep working for them because humans are irrational, and also it’s not a great career look to get bounced from position to position, so if you get stuck with a stinker try to hold out until you can gracefully move on.

Why would I want to watch Trek about that though? It’s John Lennon Beat His Wife-ing a fictional universe that was meant to portray an aspirational ideal. You have your not/less lovely captain encounter those bad actors and situations, then through the course of events show the negative outcomes and that there are better ways to organize. Just… every third show out there is about how much we suck; go write for one of those.

Then, uhhhhhhh, I would like a Frosty and a baked potato and, um, I’d like wait and buy Baconator futures at the dip if that’s cool?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mysterious frankie posted:

TOO BE FAIR if you were trying to faithfully represent the human animal, people in the Star Trek universe, especially ones with the instinct and skill to accumulate power, are probably the same ol pricks we have today, and the big success of their culture is that it organized in a way that accounts and compensates for their presence so that you don’t get *waves hand around at the present* (I’m sure magic sci-fi post scarcity tech also helps keep the prickishness from getting too cataclysmic as well). I don’t honestly believe that there are essentially different human natures hiding under our bad cultural education; we’re aggressive, conflicted, apes with a spectrum of potential shittiness that varies between individuals, and no amount of societal improvements will take that away. Even with the compensatory elements of their culture, I am sure there are tons of posts in Starfleet run by toxic monsters who’re hell to work for, but people try to keep working for them because humans are irrational, and also it’s not a great career look to get bounced from position to position, so if you get stuck with a stinker try to hold out until you can gracefully move on.

The promise of TNG, and to a certain degree TOS, is that humanity has evolved. There's no accumulation of wealth, and while ambition is still a thing being preoccupied with power or authority is considered a pathology. It's not that society is built in a way that limits their impact; Star Trek is more optimistic than that.

DS9 and Voyager does explore what happens to humanity when the immediate support of their post-scarcity society is taken away, and personally I think those moments are kind of a refutation of the more revolutionary ideals of Star Trek, made by cowardly writers in a more insecure zeitgeist, but they don't unequivocally debunk Picards assertions about how far we have come either.

I like the Voyager episode about Barclay trying to eatablish communication with Voyager. He's pretty frustrated by his working environment, but his manager is basically supportive of his work and his personal life when they could have easily just made him an rear end in a top hat.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Frankie needs to read some Marx

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

thotsky posted:

The promise of TNG, and to a certain degree TOS, is that humanity has evolved. There's no accumulation of wealth, and while ambition is still a thing being preoccupied with power or authority is considered a pathology. It's not that society is built in a way that limits their impact; Star Trek is more optimistic than that.

DS9 and Voyager does explore what happens to humanity when the immediate support of their post-scarcity society is taken away, and personally I think those moments are kind of a refutation of the more revolutionary ideals of Star Trek, made by cowardly writers in a more insecure zeitgeist, but they don't unequivocally debunk Picards assertions about how far we have come either.

I like the Voyager episode about Barclay trying to eatablish communication with Voyager. He's pretty frustrated by his working environment, but his manager is basically supportive of his work and his personal life when they could have easily just made him an rear end in a top hat.

So I feel like it’s almost arguing semantics, but I’d say mankind did not evolve; they made better choices that, dovetailing with chance and scientific discoveries which dumped a lot of material resources in their lap, created a durable positive change to humanity’s overall quality of life. Saying the humans of Trek evolved makes it less applicable to our lives now because then it’s about a different species of mankind, instead of an inspiring lesson about what current mankind can do if it gets its act straight.

Then the Federation is full of really lovely beings who suck in a variety of ways, no matter how much it’s formally pathologised their behavior. It’s just, usually you encounter them over the shoulder of your protagonist who is attempting in their own way to live the values of the Federation, and the experience is an object lesson about how not to behave. The fact that Starfleet captains keep running into garbage people who are also in the Federation lends credence to my feeling that future people are still present people, albeit with a lot more support.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humanity 'evolved' by recognising their own foibles and deliberately creating a world that avoided fostering them in most people. That can still be a type of evolved.

...yeah it's semantics.

naem
May 29, 2011

So I feel like it’s almost arguing semantics, but I’d say mankind did not evolve; they made better choices that, dovetailing with chance and scientific discoveries which dumped a lot of material resources in their lap, created a durable positive change to humanity’s overall quality of life. Saying the humans of Trek evolved makes it less applicable to our lives now because then it’s about a different species of mankind, instead of an inspiring lesson about what current mankind can do if it gets its act straight.

the TNG era is one where after nearly destroying ourselves with WW3, humans create fusion and faster than light travel and are befriended by the Vulcans (who have a very similar history)

with new technology unlocking a post scarcity society, the guidance of a wise older culture , and a powerful living memory of destruction as a deterrent to our negative tendencies, we get the Federation of Planets and all of humanity’s drive is now focused on peace, prosperity, and diplomacy powered by technology. And friendship!

it is almost as if, friendship is magic

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Then the Federation is full of really lovely beings who suck in a variety of ways, no matter how much it’s formally pathologised their behavior. It’s just, usually you encounter them over the shoulder of your protagonist who is attempting in their own way to live the values of the Federation, and the experience is an object lesson about how not to behave. The fact that Starfleet captains keep running into garbage people who are also in the Federation lends credence to my feeling that future people are still present people, albeit with a lot more support.

Absolutely nobody is talking about biological evolution. Every reference to evolution is when people are talking about society.

Also the idea that Starfleet captains are constantly running into rear end in a top hat federation citizens is laughable. We see only a very tiny slice of one ship. And half the time the humans that they're dealing with who are doing rear end in a top hat things aren't in the federation. A lot of times they explicitly left the federation because they knew the things that they wanted to do wouldn't be tolerated in the federation.

I don't know what it is about certain people that are just unable to accept a basic thematic premise of a show like this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

naem posted:

the TNG era is one where after nearly destroying ourselves with WW3, humans create fusion and faster than light travel and are befriended by the Vulcans (who have a very similar history)

with new technology unlocking a post scarcity society, the guidance of a wise older culture , and a powerful living memory of destruction as a deterrent to our negative tendencies, we get the Federation of Planets and all of humanity’s drive is now focused on peace, prosperity, and diplomacy powered by technology. And friendship!

There's a fan interpretation that humanity in Star Trek is so intent on friendship and unity of everyone in part because we want to surround ourselves with close friends who'll keep us on track and stop us if we ever went down the path of our worst impulses again. We want people to protect us from ourselves.

naem
May 29, 2011

MikeJF posted:

There's a fan interpretation that humanity in Star Trek is so intent on friendship and unity of everyone in part because we want to surround ourselves with close friends who'll keep us on track and stop us if we ever went down the path of our worst impulses again. We want people to protect us from ourselves.

and also a hot alien waifu

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CainFortea posted:

I don't know what it is about certain people that are just unable to accept a basic thematic premise of a show like this.

Decades and decades and decades of neoliberalism :smith:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

naem posted:

Friendship is Logical

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

First federation branch manager Michael Scott: I'm going to open the federation to a million worlds and then I'll have a million friends and nobody can say no to being my friend

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What if I want to be friends with a robot or hologram? Would that be ok in the federation?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

What if I want to be friends with a robot or hologram? Would that be ok in the federation?

They’d treat you like Lars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

All this deep philosophical ST thought and I'm over here thinking it'd be fun if TNG had an episode where Spot was the A plot.