Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now the joke's on Plato because every billionaire thinks they're a philosopher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

So America was colonized during medieval times then?

I’m sure nothing important happened in Europe between 1500 and 1800 either

Yeah it was the "Renaissance" and is completely distinct from both the modern and medieval eras. The rule of thumb is if the event was covered by CK it's medieval, by EU it's Renaissance, by Vicky & HOI it's modern.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tunicate posted:

I thought it was pretty transparent that the philosopher advocating a philosopher king controlling all of society was an obviously self-serving wish fulfillment, but I guess some philosophers might have found the idea appealing?

Diogenes would say yes if they offered him the job, take a poo poo on the throne and leave

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tulip posted:

Over in cspam the dividing line for modern vs pre modern is 1789, which I realize is so that people who want to bite each other over spanish civil war minutia are quarantined, but always leaves me with "what the hell do we do with the 16th 17th and 18th centuries? Do we just memory hole them or are we saying the 7 Years War was medieval?"

Some people use it specifically as the start of the modern era! Though more common is using Bosworth as the very last pre-modern event.

I think 1789 is a common dividing line between early modern and modern. It's kind of weird terminology but it's also pretty stuck

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can say "renaissance" but it sticks in the craw if you're talking about, like, the 30 year's war or the war of the roses or any of the other basically-apocalyptic wars during that time. or anything non-european. or the witch hunts and counter-reformation inquisition and whatever.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Early Modern (in caps, it's not just the early bit of Modern) is probably a more common phrasing than Renaissance, well depending on where maybe? To me the latter is more specifically art and literature type stuff. Wars of the Roses are to me late mediaeval but of course it gets fuzzy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kylaer posted:

The best samurai drama is The Wire.

I would like to think that the best medieval drama is The Untouchables. Okay you live in sin and murder people, fine. But wait, you didn't pay your tithes to the pope or the emperor? DIE!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tulip posted:

Over in cspam the dividing line for modern vs pre modern is 1789, which I realize is so that people who want to bite each other over spanish civil war minutia are quarantined, but always leaves me with "what the hell do we do with the 16th 17th and 18th centuries? Do we just memory hole them or are we saying the 7 Years War was medieval?"

for the purposes of thread delineation in cspam we are saying that the "early modern" period is "pre-modern" in the sense of "before the modern period". i would say it's not unusual to consider the "early modern" as a separate era from "modern" practically speaking even though "early modern" seems to imply that it's part of "modern". you are welcome to talk about the seven years war in the pre-modern thread to your heart's content.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

feedmegin posted:

You can probably get away with working class London (think Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels).

Edit: re accents, one of the things I did like about Barbarians (the recent German TV series) is they have the Romans speaking actual Latin - and they sound Italian as gently caress.

That’s because they are Italian (actors).

Incredibly pedantic video about Latin in Barbarians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uBUCZgpw8

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

feedmegin posted:

Early Modern (in caps, it's not just the early bit of Modern) is probably a more common phrasing than Renaissance, well depending on where maybe? To me the latter is more specifically art and literature type stuff. Wars of the Roses are to me late mediaeval but of course it gets fuzzy.

I acknowledge the existence of the term Early Modern and I absolutely hate it and think they should find any other name for that period. Early Modern is so devoid of meaning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it any worse than Middle Ages or Antiquity

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zopotantor posted:

That’s because they are Italian (actors).

Incredibly pedantic video about Latin in Barbarians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uBUCZgpw8
The effects on the left guy's face at first made me think that this was a video about Warhammer.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kylaer posted:

I acknowledge the existence of the term Early Modern and I absolutely hate it and think they should find any other name for that period. Early Modern is so devoid of meaning.

Coming from an arts background, I found the term a bit confusing too. Modern is very much late 1800's to mid 1900's. 1600s being Early Modern in that context is eyebrow raising.

I propose we bring historical periods in line with artistic style terms and periods. Which means we can get on with more important things, like arguing whether the 30 years war is late Mannerist or Baroque.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Meanwhile, French language historiography defines the Modern epoch ("les Temps Modernes") as going from the end of the Middle Ages to 1789, after which it's succeeded by a fourth period called the Contemporary epoch ("l'Époque contemporaine").

In the same vein, what'd be called the Early Middle Ages in anglophone historiography is the High Middle Ages in French, and the Anglo High Middle Ages are the Franco Central or Classical Middle Ages, leaving the Late MA as the Low Middle Ages. This also works for Antiquity, but is mostly used for Late (low) Antiquity. It's all a simile of the flow of time as the flow of a river, going from high to low.

It can make translation tricky at times, if you're not familiar with both conventions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, it seems like a sufficiently distinct thing (if accurate). On the one hand, you have the baggage of modern imperialism imposing on an understanding of Athenian influence in its context; on the other, a modern definition for which Plato's ideal state checks all the boxes.

The Plato volume received several lengthy addenda in the years after it was published, responding to irate Plato scholars, so it struck a nerve at the time, as well. I'd be curious about the best source to turn to for a counterargument, as Popper's argument that many thinkers have blinded themselves to the aspects of Plato's agenda which are inconvenient for their own is compelling. Could read a general book on Plato, but something picking apart Popper's points could be interesting.

Yes, though I'm curious what descriptor you'd assign Plato. Highlighting the opposition to private property could misleadingly lead one to understand his message as egalitarian, when he was in fact quite clear in his proposal for a sharply divided caste system and insular society, arrested in all development which might lead those below to think they might be equals of those on top. Plato's opposition to money was that it offered some avenue for the ignoble to achieve the privilege "rightfully" the exclusive purview of the natural-born elite.

So, I'm not sure how much of the Republic Popper quotes or discusses but I'll go through my understanding of it from what I read in both the dialogue and from experts.

First off, the point of the Republic is not political philosophy. The dialogue starts with asking "what is justice?" Plato hypothesizes that to truly understand what Justice is in the individual we should look at justice in a society. So the Republic is really about the structure of reality, morality, and how we know all this.

I dunno if Popper discusses the various steps and missteps taken in getting to the final state? But the end state of the Republic is not Plato's ideal even in that dialogue. Plato's ideal is actually very ascetic and spartan. People only get basic necessities and there is no grand system or hierarchy. Here's a paper on the subject if you are interested.
And the relevant part of Book 2 as heard in an audiobook version I love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TZG7voyFEA

Going back to the fact the Republic isn't really political philosophy or Plato's real ideal, he has an actual political dialogue later called The Laws which is also his final work ever. As such we can trust it to maybe be his true and final account of politics. I have not read The Laws but I do know that it is very, very different from the Republic.
https://iep.utm.edu/pla-laws/#:~:text=The%20Laws%20is%20Plato's%20last,Magnesia%2C%20a%20new%20Cretan%20colony.

To be clear, I'm no academic or even close, and with someone as commonly written about as Plato, you will get a massive variety of opinions and interpretations. What I'm writing down here is just what I've read and agreed with.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
*taking notes*
Ro...co...co

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halloween Jack posted:

Now the joke's on Plato because every billionaire thinks they're a philosopher.

A philosopher is anybody with the power and will to claim the title.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Karl Pooper.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Tulip posted:

A philosopher is anybody with the power and will to claim the title.

i loving love wisdom!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

history falls into three periods: sword times, gun times, and in the transition between them you have a variety of interesting hats

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Black Powder Period is an infinitely better term than Early Modern, the name actually gives you information about the start, end, and defining feature of the period. :colbert:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The whole dark ages/renaissance/early modern/modern terminology sequence is pure propaganda, convincing people that society inevitably progresses forward (forward toward the current status quo of course).

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Kylaer posted:

Black Powder Period is an infinitely better term than Early Modern, the name actually gives you information about the start, end, and defining feature of the period. :colbert:

Is it?

It wouldn't stop until the Victorian age whereas a lot of periodizations put the split between Early Modern/Modern at or around the French Revolution. This makes sense with the change to strong national governments and nationalism becoming the leading thing for the next while

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Orbs posted:

The whole dark ages/renaissance/early modern/modern terminology sequence is pure propaganda, convincing people that society inevitably progresses forward (forward toward the current status quo of course).

over a long enough timeline, all societies trend toward temporarily wearing interesting hats

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

over a long enough timeline, all societies trend toward temporarily wearing interesting hats
Interesting hats are what are truly inevitable in society, that's right.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kylaer posted:

I like the term because it helps me remember that the world became a bit smaller and more connected during that period, and a lot of ideological structures we take for granted today (corporations, regulatory states) are created for the first time there. But I'm always down to hear a new name that keeps the entire world in focus. "Renaissance" and "Enlightenment" always felt a little too local and a little too short.

Kylaer posted:

I dig it, firearms saw pretty widespread adoption across the globe once there effectiveness was shown off.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Then you're playing into the idea that there's no real history when there isn't fighting.

Hm, good counterpoint.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 29, 2024

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Orbs posted:

hey let's hear more about what your idea of progress looks like

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Time is an unbroken stream and all dilineations within history are just shallow tools for people trying to understand it.

Kylaer posted:

Then you're playing into the idea that there's no real history when there isn't fighting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

History is half war and half grain tallies

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

There are also signal follies of mankind. Mostly involving war and/or grain tallies but sometimes just weird sex stuff

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

they were just talkin about the hats, come on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those hats were purchased with grain money

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe too eurocentric but how about Sail Age? Even outside of colonialism the development of long-range trading changed the lives of everyone on the planet ranging from fashions to diets to scientific advancements.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FAUXTON posted:

hey let's hear more about what your idea of progress looks like
*looks at current world* Not like this? lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Orbs posted:

*looks at current world* Not like this? lol

Oh come now, not even a little bit of detail on what you're arguing against here?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

personally I would like to have back my right to control my reproductive system

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SlothfulCobra posted:

When hasn't there been fighting? :smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I know one thing about history, it is that it perfectly mirrors my views on human nature!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FAUXTON posted:

Oh come now, not even a little bit of detail on what you're arguing against here?
Not in the ancient history thread, no. I was only commenting on the terminology, not the nature of progress itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

NikkolasKing posted:

Still, this book is listed under the References and Suggested Reding Page or Karl Popper's own philosophy page on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.139411/page/n15/mode/2up
At first glance, I'd somehow mistaken the publication date on this an assumed it not to be a response to Popper. Will give it a closer look and see how well Popper's own response to it holds up. Thanks!

NikkolasKing posted:

First off, the point of the Republic is not political philosophy. The dialogue starts with asking "what is justice?" Plato hypothesizes that to truly understand what Justice is in the individual we should look at justice in a society. So the Republic is really about the structure of reality, morality, and how we know all this.
Popper's contention is that Plato's broader body of work should not be considered as abstract ideation, as many of Plato's readers in subsequent eras came to understand it, so much as a set of topical manifestos intended to directly counter the advance of democracy and egalitarianism following the defeat of the Thirty Tyrants.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if Popper discusses the various steps and missteps taken in getting to the final state? But the end state of the Republic is not Plato's ideal even in that dialogue. Plato's ideal is actually very ascetic and spartan. People only get basic necessities and there is no grand system or hierarchy. Here's a paper on the subject if you are interested.
Popper appears to take into account the entirety of Plato's work in the formulation of his thesis, though I've not done enough reading in the area to parse out any critical omissions. I'm curious about your takeaway from that link being that Plato's ideal (as inserted into the mouth of Socrates) has no grand system or hierarchy, however. The quotes in that article make clear that every man has his assigned role to fulfill and that to entertain the idea that the farmer might rise above his natural station (or otherwise be considered equal to his betters) would be to poison the spirit of the city and set it on a path to ruin: the ruler rules, the guard guards, and the worker works (and, unmentioned, the slave slaves). This is perhaps less noble asceticism than safeguard against ambitious upstarts who don't know their place.

He asserts that Plato has successfully guised the radical arch-conservatism in his message with incredibly clever rhetoric, misappropriating humanist rhetoric to assuage the reader's sensibilities and twisting it toward a naturalistic view of the world in which there is no progress, no change, just the stagnation of generation after generation of indoctrinated elites protecting their ideal state from "degeneracy".

Eh, anyways, maybe not the right thread for the interpretation of all this. It was just a fairly fascinating read as the conservative and totalitarian rhetoric Popper calls out in Plato (and set against Popper's own context of writing in a world wracked by vicious totalitarians) bears a frightening resemblance to that of modern conservative parties. I don't recall the exact passage, but there's basically a straight up "Make Athens Great Again" moment.

e: Any recommendations for the best book on the Peloponnesian War? I read Thucydides ages ago, but would be curious for modern scholarship.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 29, 2024