Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like how sometimes there's actual props and other times there's just tarps and tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Thesaurus posted:

I appreciated my time getting drunk there while studying abroad. My roommates and I would get these cheap three (3!!!) liter bottles of mixed booze called "Frosty Jack's" that we'd chug. They were £2.50 per 3 liters and bright blue. It seemed like everyone I met in Glasgow was a hard drinker.

It was always blustery and drizzling

This you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Dbl0O0r7k

I mean, naw, it's Limmy, but still.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

I appreciated my time getting drunk there while studying abroad. My roommates and I would get these cheap three (3!!!) liter bottles of mixed booze called "Frosty Jack's" that we'd chug. They were £2.50 per 3 liters and bright blue. It seemed like everyone I met in Glasgow was a hard drinker.

Oh yeah that was some nasty poo poo. Don’t know if it’s still available since minimum alcohol pricing was introduced.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I feel bad for the people who couldn't immediately figure out that the whole thing was a scam based on the website alone

proper skepticism is dead

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I feel bad for the people who couldn't immediately figure out that the whole thing was a scam based on the website alone

Uh-huh mmm-hmm people certainly have not fallen head-over-heels for "painfully obvious" scams for as long as commerce has existed. Religion, for instance, doesn't exist. :smugmrgw:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

super sweet best pal posted:

I like how sometimes there's actual props and other times there's just tarps and tables.

If it was legit you'd use a combination of props, backdrops and lighting, so by themselves the tarps aren't a red flag. IT's just all so half-assed.

It's basically a standard haunted house, except instead of spooky it's supposed to be whimsical. You gotta control the lighting for that. Big empty spaces in the cold light of day kill whatever magic the few props could have generated.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I feel bad for them as well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

I can imagine plenty of parents thinking "well, it probably won't look exactly like this, but it'll still be a fun weekend day for the kids". I'm sure they weren't literally expecting chocolate fountains you can swim in and edible lollypops the size of your head, they were just expecting slightly more than this dire poo poo for their money.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I really hope the actors come out of this well, they seem like a nice bunch.

There are going to be SO many AI led scams in the coming years though, going by the amount of people that seem to fall for the most obvious AI images ever on facebook.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lookie what I found!

https://www.eventprophire.com/product/rainbow-entranceway-with-clouds/

All the props were rented from this company. We could throw our own Wonka failparty!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Lookie what I found!

All the props were rented from this company. We could throw our own Wonka failparty!

I’m absolutely willing to go to this. The failure in a goon project is desired outcome!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

I’m absolutely willing to go to this. The failure in a goon project is desired outcome!

(Audience gasps in delight as another goon ziplines to his doom.)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Don't care how, I want it now
Don't care how, I want it noooooowwww

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(Audience gasps in delight as another goon ziplines to his doom.)
https://youtu.be/kuKpuPAnyTo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lookie what I found!

That explains why some of it looked more professional than other parts.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

teen witch posted:

We can combine Groverhaus, the zip line and the script/acting of Doom House into one.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

it's because there's a massive comedy festival there every year
You’re thinking of Edinburgh

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

super sweet best pal posted:

That explains why some of it looked more professional than other parts.

I would not be surprised if they got the tapestries off RedBubble or something too.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's also a Glasgow one.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Facebook Aunt posted:

If it was legit you'd use a combination of props, backdrops and lighting, so by themselves the tarps aren't a red flag. IT's just all so half-assed.

It's basically a standard haunted house, except instead of spooky it's supposed to be whimsical. You gotta control the lighting for that. Big empty spaces in the cold light of day kill whatever magic the few props could have generated.

Yeah. But there's no evidence of any forethought or planning whatsoever. The pitiful small amounts of handout candy, crummy costumes, sparse and few decorations and the preposterous AI written scripts (with audience reactions) just passed directly to the actors without any adaptation or facilitation by an experienced creative director type. Nothing adds up to honest effort. It was just a lazy grift. I wonder if any of those refunds are really happening since the actors didn't get paid.

But just suppose this guy was an industrious entrepreneur and genuinely wanted to create an off-brand "wonka" experience as cheaply as possible, just good enough so that people wouldn't outright scream bloody murder and call the police to get their money back, he could have simply rented some stage trusses, black tarps for light control, some projection screens and a bunch of video projectors and had the event consist of a bunch of AI bullshit slideshows that matched the look of the AI bullshit adverts that drew in the audience in the first place.

Not difficult to do. If he paid one video artist for a couple of days of work, they could have easily created a few tens of minutes worth of trippy chocolate land video loops with Stable Diffusion. Different prompts to suggest different aspects of the "chocolate factory." These could be shown on a handful of screens along a serpentine 10-minute "experience" with dark spaces mainly illuminated by this video art which would at least be colorful looking. People who have seen just one of those stable diffusion video loopback effects wouldn't be impressed but small kids might. Further use some down-facing video projectors hanging from high up to cheaply paint artwork and a decorated path on the concrete warehouse floor, minimizing dependency on physical props.

Along the walk, add a few constructed set pieces built by some prop fabrication workshop - these people make practical backdrops and things for stage and TV productions, and they could make one or two candy dispensing "wonka factory machines" out of some acrylic tubes, wood, cardboard, papier mache and sprinkled with blinking LEDs to look passable in the dim lighting. CAD, CNC and lasercut stuff makes fabrication of even good size props practical and fast for small outfits and also shippable so that they can be transported by pallet and assembled on site in a couple of hours. It would cost some money - I know people in Europe that could and would build stuff like this at a tolerable quality for a few hundred euros, maybe a 1000 VAT included and deliver within a week. The giveaway candy is cheap; Chinese off-brand jellybeans that may be possibly not made of lead and strontium can be bought in hundred-kilogram tubs for cheap on alibaba. The capex for the construction and asset creation would be amortized over the run of the event and easily paid for by a few dozen tickets sold at the 35 pound rate he was charging.

Add add a little bit of interactivity. Near the end, one good set piece with store brand willy and his ompas loompas, but where actors and a script writer had a few weeks to work out a routine and script, and with stage lighting, music, makeup and proper costumes.

If the guy had more than a week to plan this, he could hire also some interaction artists to make at least one of those video walls or floor projections react to little kids running around. You can modify and re-skin any of numerous reactive open-source video projects built with Processing, Open Frameworks, Gen, Unity or other game engines. You use one or several IR cameras to track people in the projection space, and this tracking data interacts with particle effects and simple physics. With this you could for example make some kind of "chocolate river" experience where candies float about and maybe I don't know, it's all bullshit, swim like fish.

Examples of a premium installation done with such techniques by Japanese artist group TeamLab. This is a super popular experience "Futureworld" hosted at a fancy downtown location. It has been on for years and keep drawing an audience, even repeat visitors in spite of consisting mainly of video projection art with few changes and upgrades over the long time it has been running.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
I feel a little ashamed that the UK beat the US in the "low budget AI generated event grift" race and I really, really hope it can catch up. my soul is craving this new entertainment genre

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

I'm still convinced this is an episode of Nathan For You.

"My plan will guarantee worldwide media attention for your industrial warehouse..."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Let's be honest, before automation none of these people could have ever afforded a Willie Wonka experience. Yes, it's not as good as an artisanal hand planned rich people Willie Wonka experience, but it's better than nothing at all

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Isn't this all rather fitting for the Willy Wonka story after all?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Isn't this all rather fitting for the Willy Wonka story after all?

Srry
Sabotaged by Slugworth
No mney back

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DemihumanResources posted:

I feel a little ashamed that the UK beat the US in the "low budget AI generated event grift" race and I really, really hope it can catch up. my soul is craving this new entertainment genre

Well, in the UK, the parents called the cops. In the US, I should imagine it'd be more likely the organizers would be shot.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think the organizer escaped in some kind of magical glass elevator (shower stall hoisted by crane)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Found a video of the entire experience, Depressed Oompa Loompa wasn't having it with the single jellybean nonsense.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMLDKyhY/

lol but also it's vaguely heartwarming watching the actors, parents and kids at this thing try to make the most of it. Like the way Metha Loompa notices that kid starting to be disappointed and sidles over to try to make a difference with her tiny tube of jellybeans, and how Willy Fauxnka is creasing his brow hard to hide his own pain as tries to be jubilant about taking a photo with the big chocolate bar, etc.

I've decided the moral is that kindheartedness and community win out in the face of cynical scamming. That being said,

lmao

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/davidmackau/status/1762981623115465156?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I hope she comes to embrace it. I get the sense no one is hating on her at all, but rather celebrating/commiserating with her.

naem
May 29, 2011

CANcelled

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We've all been there, it gives off the same kinda vibes as that photo of the woman who dressed as the Babadook for a Halloween party where nobody else was dressed up. Just complete "okay, this is my life now" energy.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

In my student days we used to buy one of those each, down the first part of the bottle then top it back up with vodka. Lasted the whole night. Teenagers are loving stupid as all hell.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Let's be honest, before automation none of these people could have ever afforded a Willie Wonka experience. Yes, it's not as good as an artisanal hand planned rich people Willie Wonka experience, but it's better than nothing at all

It really isn't though

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Bicyclops posted:

lol but also it's vaguely heartwarming watching the actors, parents and kids at this thing try to make the most of it. Like the way Metha Loompa notices that kid starting to be disappointed and sidles over to try to make a difference with her tiny tube of jellybeans, and how Willy Fauxnka is creasing his brow hard to hide his own pain as tries to be jubilant about taking a photo with the big chocolate bar, etc.

I've decided the moral is that kindheartedness and community win out in the face of cynical scamming. That being said,

lmao

There's stuff on Facebook from attendees of The Unknown playing with a little kid and kids genuinely happy to get their pictures taken with the props.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A Fancy Hat posted:

We've all been there, it gives off the same kinda vibes as that photo of the woman who dressed as the Babadook for a Halloween party where nobody else was dressed up. Just complete "okay, this is my life now" energy.

https://twitter.com/katiedippold/status/748582543583121408

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That's the same person who """wrote""" the Ghostbusters reboot

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

That's the same person who """wrote""" the Ghostbusters reboot

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oompa Loompa girl might be the most wholesome "random person going viral" meme in a while. We're all laughing with her, not at her.