Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a new one with a title that is "My boyfriend thinks Im gay" and tragically is not two men in a relationship as I was hoping from the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

eh, even if that was the case it wouldn't change the fact that he was still making his grandma's last years enjoyable.

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, the fact you're doing something nice and caring and perhaps even the 'right thing' doesn't change just because you had cynical motives.

:same:

oh no, someone saved an old lady from loneliness and despair for the wrong reason!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

There are other comments from OP, apparently she gets home this week

Ballsy to unblock & start lighting up his phone after he talked to their friends. Wonder what she told them about the trip...

I'll be F5ing for the next few days ngl...

quote:

UPDATE... ish. We have a group chat among people close to us. Today, I informed them all that our marriage is canceled and our relationship is over. Did that about 10 am. The chat quite literally exploded, starting with questions about what happened, which I answered honestly. About 2 pm, she started just asking me to call her so we could discuss this. I told her that talking on chat is perfectly fine she said no, this is something between just us. Still have not spoken with her last message from her at 6pm . Please pick me up at the airport so we can talk this out as we planned. I answered her, "That was your plan, not mine. None of this was my plan. " her flight is at 9 am. I wish her luck.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Oh yeah, this is gonna be golden :f5:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Obnoxipus posted:

Saw a wild combo of posts on the updates subreddit just now.

AITA for controlling what my (23f) boyfriend (24m) eats?

Update post

Forget it Jake, it's Gilroy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

trickybiscuits posted:

DON'T YOU BITE THAT HAND, DON'T DO IT

Barn chores AFTER school? Talk about lazy. REAL farm kids did their chores before school and came to class smelling like hay and manure.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

it's going to turn out that she's an heiress to a noble european family and has inherited a castle and assets worth $800 million and was just getting everything finalized as a surprise to him and he's throwing it all away

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNgvxhvJfpY

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 29, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Stefan Prodan posted:

it's going to turn out that she's an heiress to a noble european family and has inherited a castle and assets worth $800 million and was just getting everything finalized as a surprise to him and he's throwing it all away

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tracks a lot with autism / ADHD, especially the formidable tag team they make. Rotating hyperfixations get crazy. And with personal experience, it may come off like being high on cocaine because that's pretty much how it feels.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tracks a lot with autism / ADHD, especially the formidable tag team they make. Rotating hyperfixations get crazy. And with personal experience, it may come off like being high on cocaine because that's pretty much how it feels.

You seem pretty self-aware, whereas this lady is in the loving clouds.
Out of curiosity , when you start to fixate on something, does it take a while before you realize what is happening to start pumping the breaks? I honestly can see this being kind of a blessing to make life have more joys if you are capable of reigning it in.

I also can see it being a major curse if it's melding into a form of mania.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Obnoxipus posted:

Saw a wild combo of posts on the updates subreddit just now.

AITA for controlling what my (23f) boyfriend (24m) eats?

Update post

quote:

All these comments made me think about how this must have been for “the farmer”, so much so that I reached out to her today. (I mightttt have drunkenly found her on insta the night Jake dumped me. Not my proudest moment.)

I can see what he saw in her. She’s sweet as can be and was apparently just as blindsided by his cheating as I was. We got to talking, and she even offered to help with my “goodbye garlic” dinner that I’ve been planning for this weekend using some of the recipes I’ve seen.

I’m honestly a bit nervous to be face-to-face with her just because of how much this whole thing has hurt me, but I might take her up on it?

I'm all in for a romantic goodbye garlic dinner and a future update of them moving in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Garlic wife for my garlic life

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A dozen red roses with baby's breath, wrapped, and NOT from a grocery store. *If* you are the sort of person who believes in rules.

Straight people's conventions seem so unnecessarily exhausting sometimes. This year I bought my girlfriend some sweet tart candy hearts and we went to a totally deserted bar and had a couple drinks followed by a noir-themed murder mystery show and then went home and hosed. How many valentine's rules did I violate?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Let's have a happy ending

I had an affair with a married man and I still don't think I deserve how kind his wife has been

Mostly posting to say I love this one and I aspire to be the kind of person this guy's wife was, more wholesome stories please

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Propaniac posted:

I[M24] made a word document with all the rules of valentines day, and now my GF[F23] is upset.

-- Why did you bring me roses and a vibrator`?

- Well, if you don't like the roses, you can go gently caress yourself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DangerDongs posted:

You seem pretty self-aware, whereas this lady is in the loving clouds.
Out of curiosity , when you start to fixate on something, does it take a while before you realize what is happening to start pumping the breaks? I honestly can see this being kind of a blessing to make life have more joys if you are capable of reigning it in.

I also can see it being a major curse if it's melding into a form of mania.

It depends a lot, and it's taken a lifetime of learning things the hard way. The experience can be extremely different depending on how socially acceptable the special interests are, after all. (Goons in particular should know from both ends of that.) And I'm pretty used to doing things on my own time rather than sharing them with others. (and if anything, it gets annoying when my friends introduce me to something and I start to get into it just as they lose interest and move on) I do try to be more self-aware about it these days, both to avoid burning myself out and annoying others, and also to better ride the wave.

I think it's also one of those things that contributes to autism and ADHD being massively under-diagnosed in women and girls, since quirky manic obsessions are considered a lot more acceptable, or at least a charming quirk.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I'm autistic, have ADHD, and get obsessions as well, and I cannot stop an obsession once it starts coming on. I remember being thirteen and getting obsessed with Spongebob Squarepants against my will. After a week or two, I accepted that Spongebob is actually good (the correct opinion), and then the school library got some Discworld books in and I spent the next year and a bit obsessing over that instead.

But I can control my behaviour, obviously. It's actually really nice to have a go-to thing that makes you happy to think about, but I'm not basing important life decisions around it. Besides, I know I'll eventually get obsessed with something else.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

PetraCore posted:

I figured vacation flings were mostly based on mutual appreciation of accents and the fact that you never have to see each other again after.

I've gotten with a couple of Dutch women while traveling so it's not entirely the accents

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Whorelord posted:

I've gotten with a couple of Dutch women while traveling so it's not entirely the accents

dam you

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Whorelord posted:

Not with Dutch at least

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Me 39F with my 44M Depressed Colleague who has accused me of bullying him

quote:

I manage a team of 12 people and last year had a 13th member added when other managers refused to deal with him any longer. He is diagnosed with depression and generalised anxiety disorder. He is morbidly obese and suffers from muscular skeletal problems related to the obesity and diabetes.

When they came to me it was because I have helped other mentally ill staff members and I was happy to take them on as I felt I could help them. We did make progress and steadily increased their level of work. It has never reached the level considered acceptable but I made accommodations to relieve pressure, hoping this would lead to a sustained long term improvement. I sought out equipment to help them be more physically comfortable given their obesity. I felt we were making progress.

Unfortunately they committed a serious breach of security (sent out personal information to someone not legally entitled to have it) and I had to place them on formal disciplinary action. Since then they have been on sick leave for over 3 months. They are now subject to attendance management procedures and have reached out to a local mental health group and advised them that I have bullied and harassed them. This bullying and harassment has (according to them) has made it impossible for them to return to work. I have documented evidence that this is not true, when they were told they needed to move away from me for health and safety reasons they became very distressed and demanded to stay with me for 'Mental Health' reasons. I have signed documentation where they state I am supportive and they don't want the 'reasonable accommodations' I have offered (shorter days, fewer days, longer breaks etc)

I have a meeting with them and their support workers from the mental health group and I have no idea how to handle this. So how do I handle it? I can prove they are lying and they have a pattern of lying to get themselves out of trouble. I have no concerns about my bosses because they are well aware that this is an utterly unfounded allegation. My worry is that they are completely unsuited to the job and because they point blank refuse to acknowledge they are in any way responsible for the mistakes they are making it is impossible to correct them.

TLDR Have been accused of bullying when I haven't

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Isn't that the one where the updates end with the depressed guy pushing for an emotional support cat that will live in the office and even came to the meeting with a pre-made chore rota for everyone else in the office to pitch in caring for the cat?

And then OP's boss who is also at the meeting goes into a full tailspin asking "how would you even toilet train a cat????" over and over.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not with Dutch at least

Neuken in de keuken

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Isn't that the one where the updates end with the depressed guy pushing for an emotional support cat that will live in the office and even came to the meeting with a pre-made chore rota for everyone else in the office to pitch in caring for the cat?

And then OP's boss who is also at the meeting goes into a full tailspin asking "how would you even toilet train a cat????" over and over.

I don't think so. I've been trawling for really old posts for a change of pace, and I think the one with the cat was from the last couple years.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Here is your list of office chores for Gary's cat

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It depends a lot, and it's taken a lifetime of learning things the hard way. The experience can be extremely different depending on how socially acceptable the special interests are, after all. (Goons in particular should know from both ends of that.) And I'm pretty used to doing things on my own time rather than sharing them with others. (and if anything, it gets annoying when my friends introduce me to something and I start to get into it just as they lose interest and move on) I do try to be more self-aware about it these days, both to avoid burning myself out and annoying others, and also to better ride the wave.

I think it's also one of those things that contributes to autism and ADHD being massively under-diagnosed in women and girls, since quirky manic obsessions are considered a lot more acceptable, or at least a charming quirk.

Thanks for sharing GL and Schwoo. I think you're on to something with the Manic Pixie Girl theory; there's a dissertation in here for sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for going to a therapist to discuss my difficulties with being pregnant for the first time while a stepmom?

quote:

I (30f) got married 4 years ago to James (32m). James has two children with his ex. My stepson is 10 and my stepdaughter is 9. I love my stepchildren and I try to be a good stepmom. Not the crazy evil kind or the kind who wants the kids all to herself and tries to screw over the biological parent. I see my role as being an additional adult in their lives who contributes to their security. But I don't believe I am an equal parent. They don't see me that way and that is totally fine and lines up with my experiences with friends who had stepparents even from very young ages. I dated James knowing he had children and I always wanted to be one of the stepparents who the kids were glad to have in their lives, not the ones tolerated for the sake of their parent.

My husband's family do not have these same expectations and during my pregnancy I have struggled with that. To my ILs, I am an equal parent, I am a third time parent, and not pregnant for the first time. This has been a difficult expectation for me. I feel like my whole pregnancy has been compared the ex's pregnancies with my stepchildren. Some comments get made by MIL and FIL Like "oh the other two weren't that bad" because I had such extreme morning sickness that led to a hyperemesis gravidarum. Or when we found out the sex of the baby and it was mentioned we didn't find out with my stepchildren. My husband told them it wasn't like I was involved in either of those pregnancies but it went over their heads.

My sisters suggested throwing me a baby shower and it was mentioned by MIL that you only have a baby shower with your first and how inappropriate one for the third will be. She said people would judge so harshly for that decision.

This has weighed on me. It makes me feel jealous which is new and I wallowed for a while in how unfair it is that my husband went through this twice before and it means his family expect me to give up first time experiences like a baby shower or that they compare my pregnancy to his ex's two pregnancies. I was worried it would make me a worse stepmom feeling that way and so I started therapy. My husband and I did talk a little. But he couldn't completely understand how I felt. He told me it wasn't bad to feel a little unsettled by the comments and he would do better to end them. But I told him I did not want that jealousy to fester and grow or for it to become resentment toward him or my stepkids. So I started therapy six weeks ago.

My husband was so frustrated with his family starting all this that a week ago when they made another comment about the baby shower he told them it was that poo poo that sent me to therapy. They asked what that was supposed to mean and he told them they made me feel like poo poo for experiencing my first pregnancy and he was over how they respond to my pregnancy. This started an argument between him, his mom and his brother and then my husband's family claimed I was weaponizing therapy and overreacting to a situation I signed up for.

AITA?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

AITA for going to a therapist to discuss my difficulties with being pregnant for the first time while a stepmom?
I don't even understand what the gently caress is going on in the heads of the MIL/FIL in that

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Op isn't sure but her in-laws hate her husband's Ex and thinks they're trying to unperson her and just make Op the new mother and they can't do that if she's doing things like 'being the cool step-mom and being very clear about boundaries and step siblings'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When you can't understand why in-laws are doing what they're doing and looking for an explanation, there's always dementia.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't even understand what the gently caress is going on in the heads of the MIL/FIL in that

My theory is that the husband's family has a slot in their minds labelled "daughter in law" and just cannot process that his divorce and remarriage mean that the current DiL is actually not the same person as the previous DiL.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That one's too weird, how do you let that go on so long with just an occasional mild correction? I feel like that would've been an "okay, we're sitting down right now to explicitly talk through this until I figure out whether you're playing a weird mind game, or you need help from a medical professional" situation for me.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

That sounds really familiar. I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else but there was a similar post where a new mom was talking about new-mom fears like labor, etc. and everyone kept saying, "but you already have two (step)kids!"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Captain Hygiene posted:

One weird trick to get free money (until Temu notices and kicks your rear end off there)

Milk them for all their worth, Temu is garbage and should be wiped off the face of the earth

An older Ask A Manager:

quote:

Your recent post about an intern who wanted rides to work made me think perhaps you might have some insight into my present situation. Unlike similar posts I’ve seen, it’s not the chauffeurs who are asking about the situation, but the manager (me) who sees someone taking horrible advantage of coworkers. I know these people are so compassionate and caring, but they also don’t have the extra funds to be putting the wear and tear and gas on their vehicles.

I have an employee who started working here as a college student, “Jenny.” Jenny didn’t have a driver’s license or vehicle, but the campus housing was less than a quarter mile away, so she walked. However, after she graduated, she moved a few miles farther away and started asking fellow employees to give her rides to work and rides home. People gave her a ride. Jenny also now asks the person giving her a ride to stop at her child’s daycare on the way to and from work to drop off/pick up the child. (She’ll leave the car seat at the daycare during the day.) This has been going on for almost a decade. She still does not have a driver’s license or vehicle and has no intention of getting them, as far as I know.

Employees have actually quit because they didn’t want to continue to give Jenny a ride but felt guilty saying no. Currently, she gets most rides to and from work (and daycare) from three compassionate employees who are very caring and can’t tell her no. One person always gives her a ride home, every single day. Usually Jenny gets a ride to work with one of the other two employees. Sometimes Jenny will ask for (and receive) a ride from someone who is not even working that day. They will drive in (one employee driving 23 miles one way), pick her up, drop her off at work, and drive back home.

She never offers to pay for gas. She’s asked people to drop her off at the movie theatre where she’s meeting friends. (Presumably the friends give her a ride home.) She has had coworkers drop her off at her kid’s daycare in the morning for a meeting. Then she’ll call her coworkers in a few hours to pick her up and bring her to work.

She does occasionally have other friends give her rides, but it definitely looks to be the majority of time she asks coworkers to pick her up and drop her off and generally drive her around.

I don’t think she’s ever used public transportation (which is mediocre here). Her daily commute is farther than the previous quarter mile, but could still be traversed by walk or bike.

This is the situation I inherited when I became manager about a year ago. I have talked to the employees giving her a ride. Most don’t want to do it, but they are too compassionate to say no. If this is what their conscience is telling them to do, what can I say to that?

Part of the problem is that the majority of this happens before and after work hours. Occasionally, Jenny will ask for a ride to or from an appointment or meeting (during work hours), but most of it is the employees giving her a ride on their own time.

The few times when she does ask for a ride on work hours, well, everyone helps each other out occasionally. How can I forbid an employee from picking her up at her child’s daycare when I just drove out to jump another employee’s stalled vehicle?

She rarely asks me for a ride so it hasn’t been an issue personally. Again, how can I help one employee (with a dead battery) when I won’t on occasion help out another employee?

I hate to see people taken advantage of. I know most of these people don’t have extra financial resources. I have heard some employees say something like “She’ll hate me if I don’t give her a ride.”

Is there anything, as the supervisor, I can or should be doing?

quote:

Aggggh. This could all be solved if your employees would stop being so passive about it! If they’d simply tell Jenny they can’t drive her anymore, the problem would be solved.

But they’re not — and since you’re actually losing employees over it, something that shouldn’t need to be your business is becoming your business.

To be clear, there are a lot of ways this could play out that wouldn’t be your business. If Jenny were just asking for occasional rides and people were mildly annoyed but doing it anyway … not really your business. But you’ve had employees quit over it.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if over time, a cultural expectation has built up on your team that driving Jenny around is “what we do here” — and so people who would like to tell Jenny no worry they’re expected to do it anyway. Some of them might worry about how it will affect their relationship with Jenny at work, or even their relationships with other coworkers if their refusal to drive her means someone else feels obligated to drive her in their place. So again: your business.

But I can see why you’re struggling with it, since it’s outside-of-work behavior that your employees are agreeing to. Keep in mind, though, that there are times when behavior outside of work falls into your purview: for example, if an employee kept showing up to outside-work social events and insulting the coworkers who were there, that would be your business because it would affect the dynamics on your team. Or, for an example that’s closer to your situation, what if you had an employee who was constantly nagging coworkers to buy her dinner and they didn’t want to do it but felt obligated to help her out, and some people were starting to resign rather than continue to fund her meals? In both those situations, although the behavior was outside of work, it would be affecting your team dynamics and so you’d have standing to intervene.

There are limits to this, of course. If two of your employees used to be outside-of-work friends and had a falling-out, it wouldn’t be appropriate for you to get involved other than ensuring they were treating each other civilly at work. But when things come into work, they’re your business. And in this case, with people quitting over the situation, that bar has been met.

Ideally, you could just talk to the people driving Jenny and give them your explicit encouragement and permission to turn down her ride requests. But it sounds like you’ve done that and it hasn’t changed anything. Maybe that’s because these employees are people-pleasers or afraid to be assertive, which can become extra potent if it intersects with any feeling of “this is what the team does.” But since talking to them hasn’t worked, I’m hesitant to rely on trying more of that.

Because of that, I think you’ll have to talk to Jenny and say something like: “I need you to figure out transportation to and from work that doesn’t involve relying on your coworkers. I know on your end it must look like people are driving you happily, but what I’m hearing on my end is that people feel pressured to help but would like to stop, and it’s affecting the dynamics on the team. I understand this has been your set-up for a long time, so I don’t expect you to change it overnight, but I do need you to have another system in place one month from now.”

She will probably push back, saying people are happy to do it and they’d say no if they didn’t want to. To that you can say, “Unfortunately, we’ve had people quit over this and I can’t continue having it impact the team that way. You do need to find your own transportation to and from work.”

In theory you should add, “Obviously an occasional ride when you’re in a pinch is fine — we’d all do that for each other. But your coworkers can’t be your default plan for getting here and home.” But given the high danger that Jenny will take that as license to continue to ask for rides most of the time, I’d probably leave it out for now.

After you have that conversation, it’s worth talking to the ride-providing coworkers again, letting them know you’ve had this conversation, and saying you need them to do their part by being clear with Jenny that they can’t continue to drive her.

From there, you’ll need to stay pretty actively involved to make sure that Jenny really does stop leaning on colleagues for constant rides; this is entrenched enough that it’s likely to take fairly active involvement from you (possibly ongoing for a while) to ensure she actually lets up on people.

Is this a weird amount of involvement to have in an employee’s transportation and other employees’ favor-providing? Yes! It absolutely is. But it’s at the point that you’ve lost multiple employees over it, so you’ve got to intervene.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wheatpuppy posted:

That sounds really familiar. I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else but there was a similar post where a new mom was talking about new-mom fears like labor, etc. and everyone kept saying, "but you already have two (step)kids!"

I see a parallel to the idiot who thought his new step-kids' DNA would change to show that he was the father. It's not the same, the new step-parent in this case isn't the idiot, but someone is expecting the whole experience of parenthood to retroactively transfer to the new step-parent.

Diagnosis: Brain Worms

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Daughters-in-law come and go but a baby shower? That's forever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cythereal posted:

About 15 years ago I had an Iraqi roommate who got laid off from work and was absolutely determined he was gonna call the cops and get his boss arrested for firing him without a good reason, after all that's what the law is there for right? never have I been so jealous of dudes living in a warzone

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

That one's too weird, how do you let that go on so long with just an occasional mild correction?

It's so bizarre that I can see the comments being allowed to pass because they were just so confusing. Sometimes that tongue ties people.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Oh my God, where is the one about the buttered cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Oh my God, where is the one about the buttered cat?

quote:

AITA for “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes” about Jorts?

[EDITED TO ADD:]This post is about 2 cats who are named Jean and Jorts, cat tax [HERE](https://imgur.com/a/SbU5R4u) :

[UPDATE](https://www.reddit.com/user/throwaw...utm_name=iossmf) is here

THE STORY
We have two workplace cats in one area of our worksite. They add value to the worksite, we all love the cats and the worksite cat presence is not the issue. One of the cats (Jean) is a tortoiseshell cat we have had for years. The other cat (Jorts) is a large orange cat and a recent addition.

Jorts is just… kind of a simple guy. For example, Jorts can’t open a door even when it’s ajar— he shoves it whether he is going in or out, so often he closes the door he is trying to go through. This means he is often trapped inside the place he was trying to exit and meows until he is rescued.

My colleague Pam (not her real name) has been spending a lot of time trying to teach Jorts things. The doors thing is the main example — it’s a real issue because the cats are fed in a closet and Jorts keeps pushing the door closed. Jean can actually open all the other interior doors since they are a lever type knob, but she can’t open this particular door if she is trapped INSIDE the closet.

Tortie Jean is very nice to poor orange Jorts, and she is kept busy letting him out of rooms he has trapped himself in, so this seems easy to resolve. I put down a door stop.

Pam then said I was depriving Jorts of the “chance to learn” and kept removing the doorstop. She set up a series of special learning activities for Jorts, and tried to put these tasks on the whiteboard of daily team tasks (I erased them). She thinks we need to teach him how to clean himself better and how to get out of minor barriers like when he gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. I love Jorts but he’s just dumb af and we can’t change that.

Don’t get me wrong— watching her try to teach Jorts how to walk through a door is hilarious, but Jean got locked in the closet twice last week. Yesterday I installed a cat cutout thing in the door and Pam started getting really huffy. I made a gentle joke about “you can’t expect Jean’s tortoiseshell smarts from orange cat Jorts” which made Pam FURIOUS. She started crying and left the hallway, then sent an email to the group (including volunteers) and went home early.

In her email Pam said I was “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes by saying orange cats are dumb” and is demanding a racial sensitivity training before she will return. I don’t think it’s relevant but just in case, Pam is a white person in a mostly minority staff (and no she is not ginger/does not have red hair).

TL;DR: AITA for ‘enforcing an ethnic stereotype’ by joking that orange cats are often dumb?

quote:

UPDATE: aita for perpetuating stereotypes about Jorts?

Original [HERE](https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssh...utm_name=iossmf)

Thanks for responding to my query which had truly upset me. I work to have a good relationship with my team and the situation had gotten weird so gradually that I lost perspective.

I just met with HR, she had already met with Pam. HR was concerned about Pam’s comparing ethnic stereotypes with giving a cat a doorstop and they addressed that which went well. HR will follow up to make sure Pam understands. (The replies to my query were helpful to me for this discussion.)

HR also addressed Pam assigning other staff Jorts-related tutoring, as it is not appropriate for Pam to assign others work. This also went well.

We both think Pam had a hard time with the transition from volunteer to staff, and may have “new kid” sensitivity projected to Jorts. Pam got emotional about her perception that I favor Jean over Jorts and gave specific examples. Some of these things are fair. Jorts deserves respect as a member of our team.

There are 3 buildings in our workplace. Jean and Jorts are limited to one. HR told me there were 5 holdouts about vaccines, and restricting unvaccinated people from entering the building (to protect Jean and Jorts) was enough to win over 4 of them. That’s CRAZY, but great.

More importantly: the cats’ presence greatly enhances our work with our clients, and Jorts’ friendly nature has been so great. Both cats truly are doing important work. Truly Jorts deserves to be treated with respect.

We all deserve to be treated with dignity at work, so I will apologize to Jorts about some things that were insensitive or disrespectful.

a. Jean has a nice cat bed with her name on it, while Jorts has chosen an old boot tray in my office with a towel in it. Recently a visitor put wet boots in the boot tray and Pam saw Jorts sleeping on the wet boots. I bought a bed for Jorts today and a name tag has been ordered.

b. I will apologize to Jorts and remove the sign saying “DAYS SINCE JORTS HAD A TRASH CAN MISHAP: 0” Jorts likes to fish dirty paper cups out and he often falls into the bin or gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. (He is able to get out of the bin by tipping it over so it isn’t a safety issue.)

c. Jean’s “staff bio” has a photo of Jean, while Jorts’ bio has a photo of a sweet potato. I did not actually know either cat had a staff bio, but we will use a photo of Jorts instead of a sweet potato.

HR also suggested changing Pam’s duties so she is “in charge” of the cats. This I refused, the cats are my staff, not Pam’s. I think Pam was well-intended but actually not meeting the needs of either Jean or Jorts so they remain under my supervision. (Pam is also not to put cups on Jorts’ head or intentionally put him into frustrating situations given his unique needs.)

Lastly, and this made us both laugh so hard we can’t deal with it in person and will be said via email: Pam admits that she has been putting margarine on Jorts in an attempt to teach him to groom himself better. This may explain the diarrhea problem Jean developed (which required a vet visit).

Pam is NOT to apply margarine to any of her coworkers. Jean has shown she is willing to be in charge of helping Jorts stay clean. If this task becomes onerous for Jean, we can have a groomer help. I am crying laughing typing this.

added:
I’m so glad this brought joy. Fan mail can be directed to jortsandjean @ gmail dot com.

or follow the Jorts and Jean
joke account on twitter @JortsTheCat

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 29, 2024