Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Eric Cantonese posted:

if it makes you feel better, I think the world is savable and if you do what you're doing and taking care of your family, it will work out in the long term. I know that the idea that "nothing matters" is very compelling, but I also do not see how it makes me happier (or wiser) to marinate in that. I try to be active and engaged because it is how I want to spend my time.

And yeah, even I have to occasionally do the following:

I am much, much happier when I cut down my online time.

That's one of the side benefits to the ongoing enshittification. All my social spaces have closed and so this place is about the last place left where I get political discourse. Posts like yours is why I'm still here, thanks for the perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is a weird decision by Trump (even by his standards).

Biden made some reference to Trump not knowing his wife's name and being forgetful on Jimmy Fallon this week and Trump has released a Truth Social video of himself speaking about it for several minutes. In the video, he explains that he knew Biden was going to be person he ran against in 2020, and since 2018 he has been forgetting things in speeches "purposefully and for comedic effect and for sarcasm" to make fun of Biden and weaken him for the 2020 (and now 2024) election.

Also, when he had trouble getting off the stage a few times as President, that was also part of his plan to mock Biden. You can tell that he was doing it on purpose as a joke because you can see him at rallies and how "amazing" he is "at stamina." So those times where he had issues in 2018, 2019, and 2023 were all actually jokes on Biden and preparing for the 2020 (and 2024) election.

I don't think anybody would have thought about that reference Biden made again if Trump hadn't made this video, but now Biden is sharing Trump's video with edited in footage and commentary.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1763210154575548687

Original video without the footage edited in:

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1763000236967141519

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 29, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Grater posted:

That's one of the side benefits to the ongoing enshittification. All my social spaces have closed and so this place is about the last place left where I get political discourse. Posts like yours is why I'm still here, thanks for the perspective.

Just want to say I feel you and agree 100%, that whatever space there was for online discourse in the last 10 20 years, it's all gone except for this place.

For a long time I've viewed this forum as the best place for political discussion, but I've recently come to realize it's the only place for it. Social media completely caters to fascists all the time now. They did the triangulation and figured that was best for business, or they were just overtaken by an actual fascist like what happened with Twitter.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Grater posted:

I started therapy in 2019 due to crippling anxiety related to climate change which blossomed into a strong long-term depression. I am married and have 2 kids. I'll not get into it all, but one thing I tried is I started focusing on having a good day, and making the given day as successful for me and my family as I can. My mantra to stuff became "but hey, maybe we can order pizza tonight" as a kind of reminder that there is a day, today, right now that I can enjoy, even if there are days I'm gonna hate someday. We're all gonna die. My kids are gonna die. The world is weird and the industry I work in is toxic and collapsing, but hey, maybe we can order pizza tonight.

Sounds dumb, but it was a spoon I used to dig myself out of some dark caves.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

loving lol, he's Big Mad even by his standards

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
OK now explain "covfefe"

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is a weird decision by Trump (even by his standards).

Biden made some reference to Trump not knowing his wife's name and being forgetful on Jimmy Fallon this week and Trump has released a Truth Social video of himself speaking about it for several minutes. In the video, he explains that he knew Biden was going to be person he ran against in 2020, and since 2018 he has been forgetting things in speeches "purposefully and for comedic effect and for sarcasm" to make fun of Biden and weaken him for the 2020 (and now 2024) election.

Also, when he had trouble getting off the stage a few times as President, that was also part of his plan to mock Biden. You can tell that he was doing it on purpose as a joke because you can see him at rallies and how "amazing" he is "at stamina." So those times where he had issues in 2018, 2019, and 2023 were all actually jokes on Biden and preparing for the 2020 (and 2024) election.

Our posting president presents the puppermaster defense.

Slightly mad I couldn't find a p-word to continue the alliteration there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

shimmy shimmy posted:

puppermaster defense.

:yooge: LIKE A DOG

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Grater posted:

as I work on my mental health, coming out of my depression during these times is just too much. I'm probably just going insane but seeing the world burning, while a genocidal war is occurring on the other side of the world, and all I can do is either vote for it's cheerleader or a dictator in waiting.

I'm at the point where I really want off this ship (as in the SS US, not this life :)) but I haven't the first clue what to do. The thought of raising my children in this environment is weighing on me so heavily.

Please tell me I'm insane, that I can at least fix.

Congratulations on being a parent. I'm not and never will be. You have my respect for taking on the challenge of raising the next generation.

What can you do, raising children in this horrible environment? Teach them and prepare them as much as you can.

Find out how well their school is educating them, and get your voice heard at school board meetings. Teach them what history and civics class leaves out.

Teach them how to protect themselves. This can include enrolling them in a physical self-defense course, teaching them about situational awareness (for example, anywhere that is isolated leaves a person more at risk if a bad actor shows up), teaching them how to respond if they're stopped or arrested by police to maximize their odds of survival and minimize their odds of false charges (make sure they're aware of their Miranda rights).

Teach them about illegal drugs and why they're so goddamn harmful. Illegal drugs like fentanyl and opioids are a major killer of American youth. Even marijuana use has been linked to schizophrenia.

Teach them about automotive safety, both when they're driving and when they're pedestrians/biking. Vehicular homicides are another major killer of American youth.

Teach them about firearm safety. This does not mean own guns. This means having them learn the rules of owning guns, in case they're ever in a situation when they have to be around people with guns. Avoiding people who carry guns is safest, but not always possible.

Teach them about scams, including financial scams, identity theft scams, and criminal scams.

Help them plan for a career that will make them enough money to survive. That might be a technical school and a trade, or it might be learning to code (I mean that literally, not ironically), or it might be a career that requires a 4-year college degree or higher education, but keep them focused on some kind of stable career as a backup plan in case their try for a career with a high failure/rejection rate doesn't pan out. Being broke in America literally puts one's life at risk.

All of this is loving hard. Maintaining mental health is really loving hard. Please consider professional therapy if you can afford it.

The world is full of horrible poo poo that individual people can do very little about other that vote, engage in activism, and support worthy charities (make sure to carefully vet and evaluate any charity before donating, as there are way too many scam charities).

The stress of all that horrible poo poo can and will take a toll on anyone's mental health. Being a parent makes it much tougher. Please take good care of yourself, in every way possible.

Edit: I didn't see your follow-up post that you're already getting therapy. Good for you.

Victar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 29, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

mutata posted:

I started therapy in 2019 due to crippling anxiety related to climate change which blossomed into a strong long-term depression. I am married and have 2 kids. I'll not get into it all, but one thing I tried is I started focusing on having a good day, and making the given day as successful for me and my family as I can. My mantra to stuff became "but hey, maybe we can order pizza tonight" as a kind of reminder that there is a day, today, right now that I can enjoy, even if there are days I'm gonna hate someday. We're all gonna die. My kids are gonna die. The world is weird and the industry I work in is toxic and collapsing, but hey, maybe we can order pizza tonight.

Sounds dumb, but it was a spoon I used to dig myself out of some dark caves.

My oldest kid was interested in politics and history at 11 years old. I thought it would be cool to let him stay up and watch the 2016 election. "You'll get to watch the first woman be elected president!" Took us hours to calm him down after the call was made. I was obsessed with following the news throughout Trump's tenure and I noticed my son was, too. It forced me to learn to take a step back and do things I enjoy, like spending time with my kid, playing games, and watching movies. I had to teach them not to get consumed and I had to take the same lessons for myself. Sure, they have issues with anxiety (totally unrelated to politics), but they are so much more resilient and well adjusted then I could ever hope for them. Way better than how I was at their age.

It takes a lot, but we have to disengage at times and we're not bad people if we do.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grater posted:

as I work on my mental health, coming out of my depression during these times is just too much. I'm probably just going insane but seeing the world burning, while a genocidal war is occurring on the other side of the world, and all I can do is either vote for it's cheerleader or a dictator in waiting.

I'm at the point where I really want off this ship (as in the SS US, not this life :)) but I haven't the first clue what to do. The thought of raising my children in this environment is weighing on me so heavily.

Please tell me I'm insane, that I can at least fix.

EDIT- This is not about actually wanting or planning a move, more about the feeling of helplessness. Apologies for the derail.

It's not really any different from the numerous other genocidal wars that have happened during your lifetime (many with at least tacit US support) that you presumably weren't this affected by. Even as dismal as US politics are looking now, the foreseeable future for Americans probably isn't going to be all that much worse than the 1930s or the 1950s. There's been plenty of lovely times in the history of the world - and in fact most of the history of humanity has been lovely times for most people - but people found ways to cope and get through their day-to-day lives regardless.

You don't have to make a difference. If it's wearing on you, then back away. Just take the world day by day, log the gently caress off the internet, and find some productive real-world hobbies to engage in with your family.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It's okay to just stop following the news, there's not gonna be a quiz at the end of the week or month or anything

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

:yooge: I WAS BEING DUMB ON PURPOSE

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leap year apparently means they release the monthly economic stats in February instead of March.

Generally good news, but nothing too major this month.

There was concern that the small increase in inflation last month might be a sign of future increases and not just a one-off.

The good news is that it appears it was a one-off.

- PCE Inflation rate: 2.4%
- Core PCE Inflation rate: 2.8%

- Housing remains the biggest source of current inflation.

Since housing is a lagging indicator and some people have mortgages/leases, that means inflation will be hitting some people much harder than others (who may not be impacted much at all if they have a low mortgage).

Grocery store price inflation has basically stopped, but there haven't been any price decreases except among very specific areas. Products containing wheat, added sugar, and chocolate (AKA 90% of the American grocery store) are not growing in price, but are sitting at near record highs.

Dairy products and meat have seen small decreases from their previous highs. Eggs have seen large decreases from their previous highs.

- The official economic growth numbers were revised down slightly from the initial estimates.

Quarterly GDP growth was still a very solid 3.2% instead of the initial estimated 3.4%.

- The unemployment rate is 3.7%.

All of this indicates that the federal reserve is likely to stay on track to cut rates 2-3 times in the following year.

https://www.ft.com/content/e9a3dd8f-574a-45fb-b60f-12fd1ac5cd93

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 29, 2024

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Maybe now that Trump is clearly irritated by Biden's comments he'll actively start trying to go down stairs faster then fall and die. Weren't there a bunch of rumors he's deathly afraid of stairs?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Maybe now that Trump is clearly irritated by Biden's comments he'll actively start trying to go down stairs faster then fall and die. Weren't there a bunch of rumors he's deathly afraid of stairs?

It's been reported since the 80's that Trump has germaphobia and bathmophobia. There have been a bunch of books and people claiming it over the last few decades, but it hasn't been confirmed publicly and isn't part of his "medical records" that he released.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's been reported since the 80's that Trump has germaphobia and bathmophobia. There have been a bunch of books and people claiming it over the last few decades, but it hasn't been confirmed publicly and isn't part of his "medical records" that he released.

Well, that explains the smell.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Iirc trumps mother fell down some stairs and was never the same after her injuries. Big wet baby inherited the trauma because that’s probably the only living creature he ever felt empathy for.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

He's also very clearly terrified of and/or absolutely digusted by blood based on a bunch of statements and insults he's made, like Mika Brzezinski's supposed facelift-induced bleeding and his "blood coming out of her whereever" thing with Megyn Kelly

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Riptor posted:

He's also very clearly terrified of and/or absolutely digusted by blood based on a bunch of statements and insults he's made, like Mika Brzezinski's supposed facelift-induced bleeding and his "blood coming out of her whereever" thing with Megyn Kelly

Counterpoint - Trump is also a horrible human being/misogynist.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Biden's physical results were released yesterday evening. His weight has not changed at all since last year, and he's on a new medication for acid reflux. Interestingly, he apparently did not take a cognitive exam, but we do have a provisional diagnosis from his press secretary, who assures us his brain is just fine.

NPR posted:

Biden just got a physical. But a cognitive test was not part of the assessment

UPDATED FEBRUARY 28, 2024 5:04 PM ET

President Biden got his latest physical on Wednesday at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center — an evaluation that the White House said drew on the expertise of 20 doctors but did not involve a cognitive exam.

The summary of the exam will be closely scrutinized since Biden, now 81, is the oldest person ever to hold the office of U.S. president, and voters have expressed concern that he is too old for a second four-year term in the job.

Concerns about Biden's age were amplified this month by a special counsel report about Biden's handling of classified material that described him as a "sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory."

Biden did not have a cognitive test as part of his physical

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters that his doctors determined that he didn't need a cognitive exam — though Biden's longtime doctor did not address the matter directly in his report.

"He passes a cognitive test every day," Jean-Pierre said, describing the challenges of the job, which she said was more rigorous than a 15-minute cognitive test could be.

Biden's medical reports from November 2021 and February 2023 also did not include any references to tests or evaluations of his memory or cognition.

Former President Donald Trump — the front-runner in the race to be the Republican candidate in this year's presidential election — has bragged about taking a cognitive test when he was president.

Biden has noted that, at age 77, Trump is almost as old as he is and also sometimes mixes up names.

Biden has deflected concerns about his age

Biden was angry with the assessment in the special counsel report, telling reporters "my memory is fine" — before mistakenly referring to the president of Mexico when he meant Egypt.

The White House has since taken pains to show Biden managing a busy schedule of campaign travel and other public appearances, where he often tries to use humor to reassure people about his age.

Biden told reporters on Wednesday that none of his results had changed from last year other than that "they think I look too young."

Last week, at a fundraising event in Beverly Hills, Calif., Biden joked with donors that "I may not run as fast as I used to" but said that his age has brought him "a little bit of wisdom about how we can get things done."

Biden is using a CPAP machine most nights
In his memo, Biden's longtime physician, Kevin O'Connor, talked about Biden's sleep apnea. It's an issue that he did not discuss in his 2023 and 2021 reports, though he did in 2019 when Biden was running for president.

O'Connor said Biden had a formal sleep study in spring of last year and has since been using a CPAP machine to help him sleep better. O'Connor said that it took a while for Biden to get used to it but that the president uses one almost every night. The White House disclosed his use of the machine in June after reporters noticed he appeared to have marks on his face from straps used to hold the machine's mask in place.

Biden is doing more stretching and added one new medication for acid reflux

O'Connor said Biden has had a "mildly decreased range of motion" due to arthritis, including in his hip. He prescribed more intensive stretching for that.

Biden has also added one over-the-counter medicine to his regime: Nexium, for acid reflux, which O'Connor said causes his frequent throat clearing. The president continues to takes five other medications:

- two over-the-counter allergy medicines for seasonal allergies
- Pepcid for acid reflux
- a blood thinner for atrial fibrillation, which was diagnosed in the past, with no signs of heart failure
- Crestor, a statin to help keep his cholesterol levels controlled

O'Connor said Biden weighs 178 pounds — exactly what he weighed last year. He continues to have normal blood sugar levels, and he exercises at least five days a week.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/28/1234438761/biden-physical-report

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

B B posted:

Biden's physical results were released yesterday evening. His weight has not changed at all since last year, and he's on a new medication for acid reflux. Interestingly, he apparently did not take a cognitive exam, but we do have a provisional diagnosis from his press secretary, who assures us his brain is just fine.

A cognitive test is not part of a physical. You can say that he should take one voluntarily, but it's not "interesting" that it wasn't included.

A cognitive screening test like MoCA (the one Trump famously took) is also just going to determine if they have significant dementia in a PASS/FAIL way and not provide a measurement of mental decline. He could be only half there mentally, but as long as he knows what a bear looks like, knows how to read a clock, and can answer questions like, "Who is the current President?" then he is going to "pass" a cognitive screening test.

Edit: He'd have to take an inductive reasoning or neuropsychological test to get an exact measure of something like mental decline outside of an Alzheimer's or other brain damage/disease situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 29, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that Trump is constantly taking these tests (or is claiming that) is indicative that he's had a stroke or some other cerebrovascular event. This is the assessment my father had to undergo regularly after they removed a softball sized brain hemorrhage from his skull.

answer questions like, "Who is the current President?"

Well, obviously Trump's gonna fail that one.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

A cognitive test is not part of a physical. You can say that he should take one voluntarily, but it's not "interesting" that it wasn't included.

For older adults it's pretty standard, although I agree with the rest of your post in that it wouldn't reveal anything unless he did a more comprehensive work up.

UpToDate posted:

There is no evidence base to determine appropriate time intervals for geriatric assessment. However, a reasonable approach is to assess some of these issues beginning at age 65 years with the Medicare Annual Wellness visit, which requires assessment of functional and cognitive status. Persons who are age 75 years and older and those less than age 75 years who have multiple comorbidities might also be screened and reassessed annually for the remaining components.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Who is the current President?"

Oh god, I can see them asking that, Biden making an obvious joke along the lines of "Huh, let me think about that. Say, who's that handsome guy in the mirror, he looks pretty presidential" and the media running it as "Biden so far gone he doesn't even recognize himself in the mirror, doesn't remember that he is the president".

B B
Dec 1, 2005

A cognitive screening test like MoCA (the one Trump famously took) is also just going to determine if they have significant dementia in a PASS/FAIL way and not provide a measurement of mental decline. He could be only half there mentally, but as long as he knows what a bear looks like, knows how to read a clock, and can answer questions like, "Who is the current President?" then he is going to "pass" a cognitive screening test.

Edit: He'd have to take an inductive reasoning or neuropsychological test to get an exact measure of something like mental decline outside of an Alzheimer's or other brain damage/disease situation.

Weird, Medicare seems to prepare their patients to expect this as part of their annual wellness exams:

Medicare.gov posted:

Your doctor or other health care provider will also perform a cognitive assessment to look for signs of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. Signs of cognitive impairment include trouble remembering, learning new things, concentrating, managing finances, and making decisions about your everyday life. If your doctor or other health care provider thinks you may have cognitive impairment, Medicare covers a separate visit to do a more thorough review of your cognitive function and check for conditions like dementia, depression, anxiety, or delirium and design a care plan.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/yearly-wellness-visits

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kagrenak posted:

For older adults it's pretty standard, although I agree with the rest of your post in that it wouldn't reveal anything unless he did a more comprehensive work up.

It's not really standard unless, like the article says, you have multiple comorbidities or previous brain damage.

Only about 28% of people ever get screened and screening people without comorbidities or medical issues that would increase risk is not recommended by the NIH because it could cause false positives. They are supposed to screen if the patient/family requests it, if something in their family or medical history prompts it, or if the doctor "observes cognitive changes over the course of regular visits or as part of a physical exam" compared to last year.

quote:

Research shows that fewer than one-third of Medicare beneficiaries receive formal cognitive assessment at their annual wellness visit, even though it is covered as part of the visit.

quote:

Testing people who are unlikely to have cognitive impairment can lead to false positives, which may cause unnecessary stress and worry among older adults and their families.

quote:

They may seek evaluation from a primary care provider, who can collect information on the person’s family and medical history. A doctor should also initiate an assessment if they observe cognitive changes over the course of regular visits or as part of a physical exam.

Although, they do say that this guidance may be changing soon if new Alzheimer's drugs and detection procedures start becoming widely available or are proven effective. If they are proven effective and early treatment is proven to be more successful, then they may reevaluate the guidelines to recommend cognitive screening more often and earlier.

quote:

Some people may also think there is no reason to identify cognitive decline early because there is no effective treatment or cure. However, promising new treatment approaches are emerging from research. In 2023, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new drug that can slow Alzheimer’s in its early stages — the first such drug to receive full FDA approval. Other drugs to treat the disease are showing promise in early stages of clinical research.

In addition, studies of blood-based and other biomarkers for earlier detection of Alzheimer’s are advancing, which should aid doctors in personalizing treatment in cases where cognitive assessment indicates a possible problem. Once these approaches are more widely available, they could transform dementia screening, diagnosis, and management. Read more about how Alzheimer’s is diagnosed and treated.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/cognitive-assessment-considerations-understanding-evidence#who

B B posted:

Weird, Medicare seems to prepare their patients to expect this as part of their annual wellness exams:

"It's covered by Medicare" doesn't mean it is medically recommended or that it happens all the time. As mentioned above, the NIH says only 28% of people are screened at their wellness exams (not physicals) and they don't recommend doing it for everyone.

Also, literally the very first paragraph of the page you linked has it written and BOLDED:

quote:

The yearly “Wellness” visit isn’t a physical exam.

And says it is both optional and based on current health and risk factors:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 29, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My parents are older than Biden, see doctors regularly, and have never had cognitive screening done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zwabu posted:

My parents are older than Biden, see doctors regularly, and have never had cognitive screening done.

How many nuclear launch platforms do they command?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, this is just the Biden-specific version of the Obama birth certificate in that there is no choice he can make or result it can have that will not confirm the priors of those who are demanding it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

How many nuclear launch platforms do they command?

Right, I wouldn't mind if he did it because unless you think he literally can't identify a bear or a clock, then it is silly to expect it to tell you anything. He could be literally at half the cognitive function he was 10 years ago and still pass a MoCA. It would be more interesting to have him take a neuropsychological test and get some actual detail rather than the cognitive screening "Alzheimer's? YES/NO" test.

It's fine to think he should take one voluntarily, but also very silly to argue that it is incredibly suspicious that he isn't taking one during a physical because even if Biden was braindead it doesn't change the NIH guidelines that cognitive tests aren't part of a physical. You can make a good argument about Biden's mental fitness without insisting things that are obviously wrong about Medicare regulations and dying on that hill for some reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 29, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Alex_Panetta/status/1763226382342000985

I see the speaker is also an adherent to the Green Lantern theory of international relations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I see the speaker is also an adherent to the Green Lantern theory of international relations.

Cool, just... what, casually threatening to go to war? Because I can't see any reason why Mexico would do what the US wants just because "We said so".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randalor posted:

Cool, just... what, casually threatening to go to war? Because I can't see any reason why Mexico would do what the US wants just because "We said so".

Same poo poo as "Mexico will pay for the wall". It doesn't matter because journalists won't press on it, and the details of legislative negotiations are too boring for people to care about. You can just say whatever now.

This IVF poo poo has got them shook as hell, talking like pro-choice activists

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1763265492880396482

Unfortunately for them "IVF embryos are babies" is the belief of a significant portion of their base and elected officials.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1763093035863232836

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

also most of the migrants arnt even from mexico, i believe. i believe its mostly central america and South american countries like venezuela.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Alabama is solving their IVF issue, but in a way that might cause more legal problems in the future.

Their solution is not to repeal the original laws that effectively banned IVF, but to pass a bill giving doctors criminal and civil immunity for destroying embryos during IVF.

That is going to solve the immediate problem of IVF clinics shutting down and allow them to open back up, but could still cause a lot of weird legal issues in the future as embryos are legally considered children under most law in Alabama.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1763263844531507412

quote:

Alabama’s GOP-controlled House voted Thursday to give doctors who provide in-vitro fertilization civil and criminal immunity for any death or damage to embryos.

The chamber’s vote comes nearly two weeks after the state Supreme Court ruled that frozen eggs are children, setting off a national debate about how IVF is performed in the U.S. The legislation, which the Senate is also expected to vote on Thursday, aims to provide fertility clinics who have paused services since the court’s ruling the legal clarity needed to resume operations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Same poo poo as "Mexico will pay for the wall". It doesn't matter because journalists won't press on it, and the details of legislative negotiations are too boring for people to care about. You can just say whatever now.

This IVF poo poo has got them shook as hell, talking like pro-choice activists

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1763265492880396482

Unfortunately for them "IVF embryos are babies" is the belief of a significant portion of their base and elected officials.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1763093035863232836

what screws the GOP out of saving themselves is that they NEED the pro life/religious nut vote and have been openly praising that poo poo for decades and then do poo poo like that and undermind their own attempts to save themselves. so no one believes them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also most of the migrants arnt even from mexico, i believe. i believe its mostly central america and South american countries like venezuela.

So it would be simpler to order Mexico to stop all migrants at their southern border, why isn't Mike Johnson doing that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

So it would be simpler to order Mexico to stop all migrants at their southern border, why isn't Mike Johnson doing that?

I am not agreeing with him, i was being a weird pedent about his weird argument and the wording of the question asked him. Also doesnt mexico stop a TON of people at their southern border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Alabama is solving their IVF issue, but in a way that might cause more legal problems in the future.

Their solution is not to repeal the original laws that effectively banned IVF, but to pass a bill giving doctors criminal and civil immunity for destroying embryos during IVF.

That is going to solve the immediate problem of IVF clinics shutting down and allow them to open back up, but could still cause a lot of weird legal issues in the future as embryos are legally considered children under most law in Alabama.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1763263844531507412

Wouldn't the doctors having immunity not matter if the operators or administrators of the IVF clinic or hospital don't? Like if someone left the embryo fridge open at a clinic, wouldn't the clinic operators still be in danger of being charged with negligent manslaughter?