Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the only good wachowski movie besides matrix 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

a movie a decade ahead of its time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1lqrYcNTo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I am positively salivating over the upcoming DUNC 2 discourse. So many terrible liberal twitter posts and comparisons. I’m going to waste so many hours of my life writing angry screeds responding to bad takes.

Duncan Idaho to the polls

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Duncan Idaho to the polls

I'm busting every time he pulls the lever

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

i feel like this cycle has happened with movies several times over history but the system won't "learn" because it is what it does. the film industry gets top heavy, collapses in on itself, and the next generation of niche filmmakers, armed with seasoned workers (that are now suddenly cheaper and more available because the industry is shaking itself apart) get moved up, calcified and the process restarts
anyways thinking about it, I do think there's some cyclicality but there's also been some rather large shifts in the fundamental mode of the political economy from production->consumption to fictitious finance capital reproduction through financial markets instead of productive markets. why would you invest $200 million into productive forces to make a movie at 5-6% bonding for perhaps 20% ROI over 3-years when you could just use the money for investing in equities (at less risk and >10% y/y ROI) and other rent-seeking instead?

the masses are increasingly becoming less relevant to "economy well-being" (of the bourgeois class) and indeed have less and less money to spend on consumption every year

there's also floors to how cheap workers can get based on other parasitic rent-seeking enterprises. i don't think seasoned workers are overpaid now, and certainly can't really get much cheaper than they already are

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius posted:

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaptation

lone wolf and cub

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

tristeham posted:

lone wolf and cub

It is this, city hunter, and one piece.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

i love this dumbass movie, anything with Brothers hits me right where it counts

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

we need more john goodman anime fight scenes

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yup

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

tristeham posted:

lone wolf and cub

Was Lone Wolf and Cub an anime? I thought it was just a manga that went straight to live movie adaptation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

the only good wachowski movie besides matrix 1

Bound

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I say it everytime Speed Racer comes up, the final race is cinema perfected

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I say it everytime Speed Racer comes up, the final race is cinema perfected

it's a good movie! people weren't ready for movies to be campy again yet, it was the year of The Dark Knight, the momentum of the pendulum couldn't have been going more in the opposite direction

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

taking an edible and watching speed racer in theaters is a top 5 all time memory for me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pussy Quipped posted:

taking an edible and watching speed racer in theaters is a top 5 all time memory for me.

the 2001 space odyssey of our generation

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Roger Allam crushes it as Royalton. Amazing line reads

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The greatest Science Fiction Film in history has no discourse. Cease!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bro Dad posted:

there are two kinds of anime adaptation: one where the white people just act like its any other big budget genre film and one where they make the white people act exactly like japanese cartoons and i will always prefer the latter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

video thumbnail looks luther pointing a gun at young mac btw

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's a good movie! people weren't ready for movies to be campy again yet, it was the year of The Dark Knight, the momentum of the pendulum couldn't have been going more in the opposite direction

it came out within a week of iron man. which way western man

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

it came out within a week of iron man. which way western man

we didn't know! Obama was gonna be President, he was gonna fix everything, it was okay for movies about capeshit to be serious! We didn't know!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I am positively salivating over the upcoming DUNC 2 discourse. So many terrible liberal twitter posts and comparisons. I’m going to waste so many hours of my life writing angry screeds responding to bad takes.

i haven't seen it yet but i'm already annoyed at the discourse around them apparently scrubbing all mention of "jihad" from the movie

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i haven't seen it yet but i'm already annoyed at the discourse around them apparently scrubbing all mention of "jihad" from the movie

The Butlerian Kerfuffle

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

there are two kinds of anime adaptation: one where the white people just act like its any other big budget genre film and one where they make the white people act exactly like japanese cartoons and i will always prefer the latter

wasn't that part of the problem with cowboy bebop though

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

john cho is not white

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

imo there aren't actually hard rules of art like that and it's always gonna be a case by case basis to see what styles of filming and acting works best with the material. Big broad theatrical acting works for Speed Racer because it's an adaptation of Speed Racer, and it doesn't work for Cowboy Bebop because it's Cowboy Bebop. imho

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

it wasnt as bad as people were making it out to be, id watch it 1000 times over that ghost in the shell movie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

or let me put it this way, camp isnt something that should be done with any level of subtly and if they had really gone over the top cowboy bebop would have been good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

imo there aren't actually hard rules of art like that and it's always gonna be a case by case basis to see what styles of filming and acting works best with the material. Big broad theatrical acting works for Speed Racer because it's an adaptation of Speed Racer, and it doesn't work for Cowboy Bebop because it's Cowboy Bebop. imho

theres also zero episodes of anime cowboy bebop where the plot is more interesting than the visuals so its a really godawful pick to adapt no matter how motivated the production is

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

The actual animation in the Bebop anime was a fairly grounded and realistic noir vibe.

Netflix tried to make everything look like the jazzy title sequence.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the best way to do a live action anime adaptation would be to shoot it in front of a live audience with a multi-cam/sound stage set up

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the best way to do a live action anime adaptation would be to shoot it in front of a live audience with a multi-cam/sound stage set up

chris pratt as goku enters through the front door. "Honey, I'm home!" Audience applauds

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the problem with the Netflix Cowboy Bebop is that it was trying to be a faithful adaptation but it’s clear the people making it didn’t really understand the series. I’m sure they liked the series but liking a series is different from understanding what makes it tick and why certain decisions were made.
The text scrawled across the background in the title sequence is an easy example of this. In the original opening the text was in English because the text was meant to be reminiscent of the writing you’d see on a jazz album. In the Netflix version, the text is Japanese, because the creators saw liked the aesthetic of the original opening and wanted to recreate that, but misunderstood the “why” of that aesthetic and thought that it was meant to just be cool foreign text.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oh there’s alot wrong with that one, I see they learned nothing when making this avatar remake

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

oh there’s alot wrong with that one, I see they learned nothing when making this avatar remake

especially funny because there's already an Avatar spinoff. like, you could have just done another spinoff in that universe! people would probably be way more into that idea than a live action remake of a cartoon they CAN AND HAVE already watched

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the most creative people in the world, all gathered in Hollywood, thinking as hard as they can: what if we made the same thing again?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Durf posted:

The actual animation in the Bebop anime was a fairly grounded and realistic noir vibe.

Netflix tried to make everything look like the jazzy title sequence.

“I think anybody who’s a fan of Cowboy Bebop knows that Cowboy Bebop presents a multicultural view of the future,” he says. “And so you will see elements of all cultures. It’s not a dystopian world presented in the anime."

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Bro Dad posted:

“I think anybody who’s a fan of Cowboy Bebop knows that Cowboy Bebop presents a multicultural view of the future,” he says. “And so you will see elements of all cultures. It’s not a dystopian world presented in the anime."

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1101903691638923264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

....does he think this is a pro-neoliberal take