Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hollismason posted:

I mean all the Republicans retiring and leaving tells.me they're seeing internal polling and gtfo.

McConnel leaving is a big sign that Trumps probably going to lose.

He’s a RINO and in complete AWE of TRUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

In 2022, three U.S. House seats in Ohio that were on no one’s radar flipped to the Dems. Then, Ohio voters voted for abortion rights and legalized marijuana, which the GOP-dominated state government is resisting. Also, Obama won Ohio twice.

It’s a better flip opportunity than Texas, and if Biden actually won it, the race would be called by 11pm EST.

As someone in the west coast, I’d loving love to kick off the drunken debauchery by 8 pm

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nocheez posted:

In practice, it's even dumber. Why we don't have a 1 person, 1 vote for the only elected national office I will never understand.

It's racism!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

The biggest advantage Trump has is being a celebrity in the 80s. For some reason that poo poo is catnip to boomer brains.

So your “next Trump” has to have been a main feature of tabloid newspapers in the grocery checkout aisle when that kind of thing existed. And they can’t be over 80-years-old.

I would also throw in that Trump was a bit like Brexit. Lots of people just laughed that it would even happen so didn't take it seriously (vote).

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

straight from central casting, with tears in eyes

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's so wild that Liz Cheney and Mitch McConnell are RINOs in today's republican party.

Speaking of confusing things I saw a jeep with punisher stickers and a Biden Harris sticker this morning.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Hollismason posted:

I mean all the Republicans retiring and leaving tells.me they're seeing internal polling and gtfo.

The ones leaving know they're going to get primaried and probably lose to the MAGAots. There are some Retail Repubs grimly holding on to the bitter end but the party is going to be totally under Trump's control after either 2024 or 2026.

McConnell is clearly to old and sick and probably has been for at least a year to really hold office if its true that he has been having fainting spells on top of his blanking mid speech like he has done a couple of times at least. If he had his way he'd go out like Thurmond. I wouldn't be shocked if dies inside a year after leaving office.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 29, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

A big stong turtle came to me with tears in its eyes, mr president, now that you've made america great again and achieved total exoneration, i can finally return to the sea to tell all the creatures of "TRUMP" and I signed the turtle's shell and it was very tremendous, folks

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

big nipples big life posted:

Mitch McConnell = RINO

I love it. It's the strongest leopard eating face ever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“You see a turtle on its back and you’re not helping”

“BIG LOSER MCTURTLE I call him folks! He’s beggin me he says “help me Donald I’m on my back my eyes are melting” and I say no you must apologize first you’ve been real mean to me”

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Well you're no afh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think a lot of people forget how actively toxic and dysfunctional the Hillary campaign in 2016 really was. she was a charisma black hole, of a type that trump was able to exploit with his insane bluster

but now he’s old news, people know how he reacts in politics and the dems won’t be caught nearly as off-guard about it

on a related note I was doing a crossword puzzle last night and realized I could not remember Hillary’s running mate for the loving life of me

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I think Mitch gave up after the Israel/Ukraine/Border Security bill blew up. He can’t do anything with a caucus that’s unwilling to pass legislation that they themselves want.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

They have to get hurt directly by something the R's or Trump does AND can be clearly and unambiguously be linked back to them in a big clear cut manner for it to start to move the needle.

Not change their minds....just to start to make them doubt a bit.

Tribal politics totally fucks with the ability to process information surrounding the group they think* they're a part of. Their brains are litterally going to edit anything they see or hear as they see or hear it in a way to present all the bad stuff in the best possible light by default. Then they'll start looking for any possible way to deflect blame on some other group. D's or immigrants or gays, etc. It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense. Just that there is someone else to blame and get mad at so their anger is directed away from R's or Trump.

What breaks them out of the tribalism is usually constant clear cut failure that they can't ignore coming from the R's or Trump that they will usually perceive as a betrayal of sorts. The emotional bomb that is betrayal is a big part of what finally gets them to abandon the tribe. But that can take a long time to occur. Years. Decades even. Some never have that event.

Especially if all they watch is OAN or Fox where the R's and Trump are presented as perfect nearly all the time. Just google how they were presenting DeSantis' debate vs Newsom for example of how far and hard they're willing to lie about things. Or how they all suddenly began to say that it was really Antifa that was to blame for J6.

They have no shame. They do not care about the truthfulness or consequences of what they're saying. Its all for the tribe.

The good news is that Trump and the R's HAVE been failing at a lot of things that is clearly and unambiguously linked back to them. They can try to blame Biden and the D's but its clear even among their base that no one is buying it. And some of them really have gotten tired of the bullshit. It'll only be a small minority of R's that won't vote for Trump this time around but that is all that it will take to make Trump lose. I only hope that also becomes true for the downballot races. The D's need all the help they can get to hold onto the Senate or get a good number of seats in the HoR.

*unless they're rich or powerful they're not really part of the group, just that groups useful idiots but you won't convince them of that either

What I still can't believe is that the United States didn't totter to its knees after like six months of TRUMP. No spectacular collapse of the house of cards, it just kept shambling along, maintaining the momentum it had from before, and everyone got to pretend he was doing a great job.

It's not that I wanted to see a nuclear disaster or some huge diplomatic fuckup that led to World War T, but it seemed obvious and inevitable that it would happen. Even just some huge acceleration of the haves-and-have-nots divide well beyond what we did see in BLM was at the minimum of what I was confidently expecting. But it just didn't.

The worst thing the average joe can lay at Trump's feet is Covid, and they can easily talk themselves around that reflecting poorly on him at all.

It boggles my mind that it isn't self loving evident that Trump as president is the most diabolically awful thing you can consciously choose for yourself, just on the basis of facial day-to-day evidence. But here we are having the same old "inflation" "border" "taxes" bullshit debate arguments that we've had for decades, not arguing over whether a loving insurrection leader who stole a bathroom full of top secret documents is okay to have as President

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Well you're no afh

Same to you bitch

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rockman Reserve posted:

I think a lot of people forget how actively toxic and dysfunctional the Hillary campaign in 2016 really was. she was a charisma black hole, of a type that trump was able to exploit with his insane bluster

but now he’s old news, people know how he reacts in politics and the dems won’t be caught nearly as off-guard about it

on a related note I was doing a crossword puzzle last night and realized I could not remember Hillary’s running mate for the loving life of me

And they had to cheat her to the nomination in the face of Bernies massive popularity.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rockman Reserve posted:

There seemed to be a general air of smugness to Clinton and a lot of the liberal discourse at the time, for sure.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

someone offscreen to the house rep must have loved him talking about two-tiered justice systems
"two-tier justice system...."
"okay okay don't keep going with that we don't want to remind them of donald trump and how he's dodging these trials because he was pres..."
"... president trump"
"gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress."

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
fox is one thing, but they're losing newsmax now
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1763233345670984104

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Hollismason posted:

This is how I read it as well. He knows it won't be long until Hell splits open and drags him down and he doesn't want to spend the rest of it with no bargaining power and no GOP White House.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

fox is one thing, but they're losing newsmax now
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1763233345670984104
Guess who lost Tucker

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KarinaVinnikova/status/1763195474469675196

Sounds like Putin hurt Tucker Carlson's feelings, lmao.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

straight from central casting, with tears in eyes

McConnell came up to Trump with a stroke in his eyes

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

Guess who lost Tucker

Awww

He got his feelings hurt

The Big Strong Man thought he was a Dork, oohhh

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

weird that tucker didn't know what denazification meant... if he only had a chance to interview putin he could have asked him

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

McConnell came up to Trump with a stroke in his eyes

Fuckin lol

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

In practice, it's even dumber. Why we don't have a 1 person, 1 vote for the only elected national office I will never understand.

Slave-owning states were really upset about this whole "no longer being allowed to own slaves" thing and the EC was a compromise to give them outsized power to let them influence the US with racist garbage and anti-human rights legislation. Look at Kentucky trying to pass SB 500 which is the most anti-worker, anti-human legislation we've seen in literal decades.

Slave owners are still running this shithole.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002

It's so wild that Liz Cheney and Mitch McConnell are RINOs in today's republican party.

Speaking of confusing things I saw a jeep with punisher stickers and a Biden Harris sticker this morning.

i know this is probably a repetitive old thought but i wanted to type again how loving disappointing it is to live in a country where THIS MUCH of the population will still go along with his rear end.

it disturbs me a lot less that one guy can be a cartoonish narcissist piece of poo poo goblin, and a lot more just the sheer number of supporters they will have no matter what they say and do, like "oh well, every democrat in the country is worse forever no matter what. gotta keep votin for my team and calling myself a conservative till i die durp".

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kazil posted:

McConnell stepping down as leader is him acknowledging that Republicans have been completely taken over by MAGA

Yeah I think most R retirements are coming from the realization that the party is permanently "Bend the knee for Trump or be exiled".

Paul Ryan was one of the first, "retiring" at 48 lmao

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
People in this thread aren't afraid Trump can win in 2024.

People are basically 'afraid' (maybe 'concerned' is a better word) that there is another possible death of a thousand cuts happening that eliminates a few votes here, a few votes there, and even if Biden gets 100 million votes overall to Trump's 30 million it doesn't matter because he didn't get 50,000 in the 'right place', and that we, by being in amongst the 'storm' as it happens, cannot see all the pieces that could make this happen (and hence what we could do to stop it) the way we can now see 2016, because when you're in the midst of events actually happening, you at best know 20 percent of the story, and that's a rare extreme. And perhaps more importantly, no one else can see the whole story either, and hence they see it as they want it. You go back to the start of 2016 and try and sound every alarm over the issues of Hillary's campaign, and no one is going to listen. The future is unknowable despite one's best efforts, at best we can guesstimate it like we do the weather, and the past is often incredibly frustrating and/or infuriating. It results in pain. We don't like pain, so we express our displeasure. And so on and so on.

Also, I still think that 3/4 of the people who are 'bending the knee for Trump' are actually just kissing the ring while thinking "This will look REAL GOOD on my finger when I, a brilliant and deserving man (I would say person, but let's be honest it almost certainly is almost all males thinking this) take the legions of idiots from this loving tool.", lost in the same delusion Trump is in, just in a different shape and flavor of it.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 29, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

When the brain drain keeps happening to red states and their economies suffer at least they can still say they got rid of the libs and secured their EV

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

kazil posted:

McConnell stepping down as leader is him acknowledging that Republicans have been completely taken over by MAGA

yeah this old vampire would only leave a position of power only if he's sucked every last inch of potential power from it

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Oscar Wild posted:

Why are they called sex tapes? VCR hasn't been a thing for decades

I really don't think the sex tape is the story here as long as they were both consenting and over 18

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fishmasher posted:

i know this is probably a repetitive old thought but i wanted to type again how loving disappointing it is to live in a country where THIS MUCH of the population will still go along with his rear end.

it disturbs me a lot less that one guy can be a cartoonish narcissist piece of poo poo goblin, and a lot more just the sheer number of supporters they will have no matter what they say and do, like "oh well, every democrat in the country is worse forever no matter what. gotta keep votin for my team and calling myself a conservative till i die durp".

Yep, agreed, I'm far more bothered that 30 to 40 percent of the country is absolutely awful human beings than I am by the republican's bullshit.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Alan Smithee posted:

When the brain drain keeps happening to red states and their economies suffer at least they can still say they got rid of the libs and secured their EV

I live in GA and can tell you, they do not acknowledge why brain drain is actually happening and instead blame it on needing to attract more businesses/brands to set up branches and 'bring work'. Then if we have better work to offer, we'll attract 'better people'!

It's seriously seen as just a 'need better jobs to attract better talent' thing with no other self-awareness why people would choose to flee

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

All the Trump trauma in this thread is because America is a dumb donkey country where Joe Biden can clearly win and then some dusty old rear end in a top hat is like, 'Mmm, actually, we forgot about the Johnson Amendment of 1872 that means that all votes are counted on opposite day so actually the cartoonishly lovely candidate wins,' and then instead of a bunch of reasonable adults being like, 'Yes we should work to make this system better,' a bunch of craven opportunists use it to make money or consolidate power at the expense of people who just want to buy a Wendy's burger without checking the price of Bitcoin or some dumb poo poo.

e: And in case you're part of the globohomo conspiracy, here's the tag link:

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/a1/30/00126285.0009.gif

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 29, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
your mistake is ever thinking that any capitalist society is made up of reasonable adults instead of mostly opportunists

this system literally awards being someone who only looks our for yourself, rather than being someone who works to compromise with others. so why WOULD people do the latter? out of the goodness of their own hearts?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Fishmasher posted:

For all their claims, they're still comfortable. Until they hit the 'nine meal limit', that's always going to dominate their thinking (Of course I think of that Star Wars Dark Side quote here, but it fits, drat it "Once you start down the path to the dark side, forever will it dominate your destiny"). That, or the even more impossible world where if you punch someone in the face, both your noses break. Otherwise, well...LOL Trump threads, tens of thousands of pages and no sign of stopping soon, later, or ever(?)

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

funeral home DJ posted:

Slave-owning states were really upset about this whole "no longer being allowed to own slaves" thing and the EC was a compromise to give them outsized power to let them influence the US with racist garbage and anti-human rights legislation. Look at Kentucky trying to pass SB 500 which is the most anti-worker, anti-human legislation we've seen in literal decades.

Slave owners are still running this shithole.

You'd think people would've learned 200 years ago that there's no appeasing assholes, but here we are

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

MEIN RAVEN posted:

You'd think people would've learned 200 years ago that there's no appeasing assholes, but here we are

welcome the new boss, same as the old boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Yep, agreed, I'm far more bothered that 30 to 40 percent of the country is absolutely awful human beings than I am by the republican's bullshit.

Yep.