Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading Judas Unchained right now and it's been several years since I read the first one. There are so many characters and I'm floating by based on genre experience but I sure could not list their names by myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I wanna say the time traveling wizard cop is Andrew or Ethan or Evan or something?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comstar posted:

Peter F Hamilton if I'm not mistaken. Every one of his his 10,000 page per book Science Fiction trilogies have universe melting plots that then get solved in the last 2 pages by fantasy magic.

To be fair, the character that goes back in time is then worshiped by a cult that wants to destroys the universe....uh oh.

We seem to be living in a Reality Dysfunction. When the dead rise from the grave, make you sure vote for Al Capone.

He did Pandora's Star too if I'm not mistaken, where there's an aggressive alien hive mind that was so dangerous it was locked in a bubble, only for humans to accidentally release it. Human culture had advanced to the point where they no longer were violent or able to fight it, so they had to abandon decorum dig into their suspended animation prisons to pull out criminals that were violent and fight back

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DarkHorse posted:

He did Pandora's Star too if I'm not mistaken, where there's an aggressive alien hive mind that was so dangerous it was locked in a bubble, only for humans to accidentally release it. Human culture had advanced to the point where they no longer were violent or able to fight it, so they had to abandon decorum dig into their suspended animation prisons to pull out criminals that were violent and fight back

So Demolition Man meets Ender's Game?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm reading Judas Unchained right now and it's been several years since I read the first one. There are so many characters and I'm floating by based on genre experience but I sure could not list their names by myself

I'm terrible with names, so sometimes I have to write down everybody's name and a one line bio on a note card and use that as a bookmark. Had to do the same with the goddamn spells on Phantasy Star.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So Demolition Man meets Ender's Game?

A Fire Upon The Demolition Ender

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
A whole lot of these pundit complaints sound like “Team Democracy” upset that the election isn’t going to be decided in the court system. Like, just beat him. Absolutely smoke him in the election and he goes to jail, and probably loses all his money. In my view, that’s a really strong motivator that makes it easy to overlook Biden’s faults and drum up even more support.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

wapo posted:

UAV’s attorneys wrote that the “dilution scheme” had “no legitimate business purpose” and suggested that Trump and the Trump Media board planned to issue the new shares to “Trump and/or his associates and children,” watering down UAV’s stake to less than 1 percent.

UAV was “promised 8.6 percent of this company and sadly its business partners are baselessly trying to renege,” said the partnership’s lead attorney, Christopher J. Clark of Clark Smith Villazor, in an interview with The Washington Post describing the lawsuit. “They feel like: We made Truth Social for you. You get 90 percent. But some people just aren’t happy with 90 percent.”

Leopard eatting faces party Surely won’t eat my face, etc etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/29/truth-social-lawsuit-trump-media-founders/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

A whole lot of these pundit complaints sound like “Team Democracy” upset that the election isn’t going to be decided in the court system. Like, just beat him. Absolutely smoke him in the election and he goes to jail, and probably loses all his money. In my view, that’s a really strong motivator that makes it easy to overlook Biden’s faults and drum up even more support.

This. I think we might honestly end up seeing him in court during the election anyway which might be worse in some ways for him. I think he can be beaten either way.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

The problem is you can smoke him in the election by 5 million votes, but still lose because of <100,000 people living in 3 states.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
More like surely the leopards will be satisfied with eating only 90 percent of me although they sure do seem to be a lot hungrier than any of us were expecting

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oil! posted:

The problem is you can smoke him in the election by 5 million votes, but still lose because of <100,000 people living in 3 states.

American national politics has always required the ability to win in a wide array of states, not just the high-population coastal cities.

The point is that we should be capable of defeating Trump fairly in the election by a safe enough margin, and if we're not, we desperately need to develop the ability to do so. Relying on the courts to save us from our own failures to perform in elections is not, and never has been, a viable strategy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
If they're hearing this in April then that IS lightning fast for the Supreme Court.

I don't think anyone is really hoping for the courts to defeat Trump for us, though. This is just literally the thread to talk about his legal issues so of course we are focused on his court cases.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Defeating him in an election will just make him try again next time. Only the courts can make him go away for good. So we have to do both of these things- win the election to stop the courts being corrupted any further, and have the court take away all his stuff and throw him in jail so the risk of him doing it later entirely goes away

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some of us can chew gum and walk at the same time, being I want him to eat poo poo in the election but I'm also satisfied with him getting chucked in the pokey.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. I think we might honestly end up seeing him in court during the election anyway which might be worse in some ways for him. I think he can be beaten either way.

Agreed.

While obviously having a guilty conviction right before the election AND the trials taking place and taking up all the oxygen is better than postponing a verdict, I think people are underestimating how bad of a position this is for Trump. A candidate under four indictments with trials taking place during election season is very, very, very bad for the candidate even if that candidate is Trump.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

haveblue posted:

Defeating him in an election will just make him try again next time. Only the courts can make him go away for good. So we have to do both of these things- win the election to stop the courts being corrupted any further, and have the court take away all his stuff and throw him in jail so the risk of him doing it later entirely goes away

There's also a lot to be said for the idea that when President Crimes decides to crime some more that maybe the courts should do something besides stand around with their dick in their hands for years and watch all the criming because he's one of the rich people that shouldn't be hurt by the law. If I steal $100 from a cash register I don't get eleventy billion years of appeals and second chances, I get loving locked up while waiting for the book to be thrown at me and told to suck poo poo if I want anything else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What makes it bad for the candidate, if the people who were going to vote for him when he was just insane and dangerous and corrupt will still vote for him when he’s insane, dangerous, corrupt, and indicted?

I guess there are “cooler heads” as are a source of money who might be turned off, but surely the big difference here is just “got caught, might get punished” and they aren’t genuinely surprised that he is a delusional fraud elemental.

Does being indicted really make his brand that much more toxic for the GOP? He’s been indicted for a while and…they don’t seem super upset about it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I will only be satisfied with death. Mine or his, and I'm younger, so he goes first.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

small butter posted:

Agreed.

While obviously having a guilty conviction right before the election AND the trials taking place and taking up all the oxygen is better than postponing a verdict, I think people are underestimating how bad of a position this is for Trump. A candidate under four indictments with trials taking place during election season is very, very, very bad for the candidate even if that candidate is Trump.

The problem is that Trump voters live in an alternate reality where an indicted Trump is actually cool and good

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Who says that decides the election? He can absolutely run from prison and if the American public decides they want him anyway they can vote for him. I mean, insurrection stuff aside, but that's a constitutional question that the people can also override if there's sufficient will.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

small butter posted:

Agreed.

I think he probably gets comeyed. he will end up doing public court poo poo during the election season, probably one in the week or so leading up to it.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The problem is that Trump voters live in an alternate reality where an indicted Trump is actually cool and good

sure but chuds are always gonna be like that. its the indies and moderates who are already not happy with scary gop poo poo and trump that will bail for biden even if they dont care for biden that much.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Main Paineframe posted:

American national politics has always required the ability to win in a wide array of states, not just the high-population coastal cities.

The point is that we should be capable of defeating Trump fairly in the election by a safe enough margin, and if we're not, we desperately need to develop the ability to do so. Relying on the courts to save us from our own failures to perform in elections is not, and never has been, a viable strategy.

That's basically how I comfort myself. If American demos is so broke-brained that it will elect Orange Cleon a second time, then we're in very, very deep trouble, because the courts won't be able to save us against a savvier dictator in waiting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think he probably gets comeyed.

what does it mean for him to get comeyed, though? Hillary’s “comeying” was someone saying “we are gonna look into the possibility of email mismanagement”, which was a revelation that surprised some people who were supporting her prior to that announcement, and which they took as a bad sign about her character and suitability for office

we have active indictments and actual convictions for fraud already in play. what is some whiny lanyard twerp going to reveal that will shock Trump’s supporters away from him? we all thought he was being metaphorical when he discussed a 5th Ave spree killing, but it turns out he was right about it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

If we're able to handily defeat him, then him trying again is a good thing.

If we're not able to handily defeat him, then the courts aren't going to save us from being hosed.

The only thing that can make Trump go away for good, besides serious illness or death, is reducing the number of diehard Trump believers (by which I mean "convince them to stop supporting Trump", not :murder:).

Subjunctive posted:

What makes it bad for the candidate, if the people who were going to vote for him when he was just insane and dangerous and corrupt will still vote for him when he’s insane, dangerous, corrupt, and indicted?

I guess there are “cooler heads” as are a source of money who might be turned off, but surely the big difference here is just “got caught, might get punished” and they aren’t genuinely surprised that he is a delusional fraud elemental.

Does being indicted really make his brand that much more toxic for the GOP? He’s been indicted for a while and…they don’t seem super upset about it.

Polls say they do, and that something like 30% of Trump voters wouldn't vote for him if he's convicted.

On the other hand, polls also said a whole lot of antivaxxers would stop opposing the COVID shot once it got an official FDA authorization, and yet in reality that official authorization didn't lead to a significant bump in the vaccination rate. So we can't count on polling too much in these kinds of situations; in practice, I suspect that a good chunk of those Trump voters will find excuses to declare that the conviction doesn't count and therefore they shouldn't drop their support for him like they claimed they would.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

to be clear, I’m not a “trump is gonna win, sell your T-bills, apply for visas” doomer here. I think he probably loses (but I thought that in 2016 too)

however, I don’t think his odds get worse through any outcome of the remaining proceedings other than an iron-clad legal prohibition from him serving office. there’s no more room for damage through black marks against his soot-coloured character

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It is just so drat painful to see him spin his crimes as persecution and have people eat it up. If the roles were reversed and Biden had done one tenth of what Trump did, he would have been shot dead in the street by some loony. Instead people who Trump has stolen money from bitch about how painful it is to see that thief dealing with the poo poo the GOVERNMENT DOES TO HIM JUST LIKE IT DOES TO ME AT MY LOW PAYING JOB WITH NO SAFETY NET!

I wonder , if Biden did everything he did currently but with an R in front of his name, would he be considered awesome?

Then I think of McCain who, while an utter piece of poo poo, was also a military man and a "patriot" who got nothing but poo poo from people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

what does it mean for him to get comeyed, though? Hillary’s “comeying” was someone saying “we are gonna look into the possibility of email mismanagement”, which was a revelation that surprised some people who were supporting her prior to that announcement, and which they took as a bad sign about her character and suitability for office

we have active indictments and actual convictions for fraud already in play. what is some whiny lanyard twerp going to reveal that will shock Trump’s supporters away from him? we all thought he was being metaphorical when he discussed a 5th Ave spree killing, but it turns out he was right about it

i was trying to be funny, it didnt work, my point is dudes gonna be in the middle of at least 1 trial in october probably.

Subjunctive posted:

to be clear, I’m not a “trump is gonna win, sell your T-bills, apply for visas” doomer here. I think he probably loses (but I thought that in 2016 too)

however, I don’t think his odds get worse through any outcome of the remaining proceedings other than an iron-clad legal prohibition from him serving office. there’s no more room for damage through black marks against his soot-coloured character

i mean i dont disagree, i think he will lose because he is clearly way more brain busted and scary now as is the GOP and that scares the suburbs and squishy indies/moderates alot. its gonna be like ROE and the IVF and god knows what other weird rear end GOP psycho poo poo in the next couple months that gently caress them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

(by which I mean "convince them to stop supporting Trump", not :murder:).

let’s not take policy options off the table unnecessarily

quote:

Polls say they do, and that something like 30% of Trump voters wouldn't vote for him if he's convicted.

The post I was replying to said that having four indictments was really bad.

small butter posted:

A candidate under four indictments with trials taking place during election season is very, very, very bad for the candidate even if that candidate is Trump.

I agree that conviction would tip some people, though I don’t pretend to have an idea of how many, or where they would be located.

Polls ostensibly got caught out in 2016 by “shy Trumpers” who didn’t admit that they supported Trump because it was socially unacceptable. I don’t think a lot of Biden supporters are similarly shy at this point, but maybe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i was trying to be funny, it didnt work, my point is dudes gonna be in the middle of at least 1 trial in october probably.

I think him being in a trial in October is a toss-up for his campaign. On the one side maybe something so appalling comes up that it shaves away of his support, but on the other hand his team will have a huge amount of oven-ready “I’m being oppressed by the deep state” fodder to rile up the base and GOTV.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i dont disagree, i think he will lose because he is clearly way more brain busted and scary now as is the GOP and that scares the suburbs and squishy indies/moderates alot. its gonna be like ROE and the IVF and god knows what other weird rear end GOP psycho poo poo in the next couple months that gently caress them.

yeah, I think the GOP loses for Trump, not the other way around

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How much does the stay actually stop Jack Smith? It’s the interlocutory appeal on these specific trials causing the stay, is there anything stopping him from cranking out superseding indictments? Or just other indictments?

My understanding is he didn’t charge him with a bunch of stuff because those take longer. If worst case scenario SCOTUS drags this out the rest of the year, can he use the time to start prosecuting him for other things?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

How much does the stay actually stop Jack Smith? It’s the interlocutory appeal on these specific trials causing the stay, is there anything stopping him from cranking out superseding indictments? Or just other indictments?

My understanding is he didn’t charge him with a bunch of stuff because those take longer. If worst case scenario SCOTUS drags this out the rest of the year, can he use the time to start prosecuting him for other things?

It stops Jack Smith completely until SCOTUS decides it doesn't.

And worst case scenario isn't "SCOTUS drags this out the rest of the year." That's the medium, somewhat likely scenario. The worst case scenario is that they dismiss the charges.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Polls ostensibly got caught out in 2016 by “shy Trumpers” who didn’t admit that they supported Trump because it was socially unacceptable. I don’t think a lot of Biden supporters are similarly shy at this point, but maybe?

Shy Trumpers were likely never actually a real thing. It was an unlikely theory from the start, and evidence hasn't really surfaced to support it.

The problem was with the pollsters, not the people answering the polls. Voter turnout for Trump was different from the usual voter turnout for the GOP, and the difference was more strongly pronounced among some demographics than others, so pollsters' turnout models were wrong. In general, the era of absolute chaos politics has been very rough for pollsters, because they don't just ask a thousand people if they're going to vote for Trump and then print the results as-is. They do a lot of sampling and weighting and biasing to adjust their results to what they think the actual voter turnout is going to be in the election, and with one absolutely unprecedented election after another they've basically been flailing in the wind with nothing to go on but their gut instinct.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Let us not pick and choose. I want that man to experience all the failures, individually and separately.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fart Amplifier posted:

It stops Jack Smith completely until SCOTUS decides it doesn't.

And worst case scenario isn't "SCOTUS drags this out the rest of the year." That's the medium, somewhat likely scenario. The worst case scenario is that they dismiss the charges.

Dismiss how? "The president can have little a immunity, as a treat"?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

reducing the number of diehard Trump believers (by which I mean "convince them to stop supporting Trump", not :murder:).

Something like 20 million boomers have died, for one reason or another, between 2016 and today. Obviously that's spread all over the place, geographically, socioeconomically, etc., but we know they broadly go more for Republicans than Democrats. 2021 and 2022 actually saw significantly higher number of total deaths than 2020 did, so these people could've voted for Trump in 2020 and then subsequently died due to their failure to get vaccinated. I think it's very unlikely the number of 2024 votes for Trump exceeds that of 2020. That's not to say that it's impossible for him to win, but I think I would be more surprised of an actual Trump election victory in 2024, Republican coups notwithstanding, than I was surprised in 2016.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1763226260275184091

Well so much for that escape hatch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That SPAC has a lot of leverage right now and I hope they use all of it. Every last twist.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

We already beat him at the poles, then the fucker tried to end the American experiment.

Your argument is basically laws don't matter.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Dismiss how? "The president can have little a immunity, as a treat"?

They can say he's immune and the case just goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Team Democracy are upset someone can commit fraud and try to illegally take over the government without any penalties.