Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Go rent a car, it is way, way cheaper than buying a rental you haven't even laid eyes on yet.

Edit: not even editing the quote in here for a new page because this probably applies to you too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why are you interested in that vehicle in particular? And willing to buy it sight unseen from 100 miles away?

Is it because it's a very good deal, especially compared to the cars available near you? Have you given any thought as to why that is

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Thanks for the sanity check, I was absolutely rushing to consider stupid options out of a desire to get back on wheels. The hunt resumes with new rules and a search radius narrowed to 20 miles :V

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

Scale of 1-10, how bad an idea is this used 2023 Toyota Camry? It was (briefly?) a rental, but I'm not sure how much wear & tear would come from like 20K miles around New Mexico. The CarFAX looks pretty good, but I know that's not a complete picture.

The real shitter here is that I'm shopping because I am carless, this thing is 100 miles north of me, and according to the sales guy I'd need to jump on it within the next two days for that reasonably good price. Buying without a test drive is absolutely not something I want to do, but I can't get up there before this weekend. He mentioned the dealership "184-point inspection" a few times during our initial chat, but that is Sales Mode talking and I still want a proper PPI. I've got another talk scheduled for tomorrow and a list of questions but I'd really appreciate hive-mind input.

e: alright yeah so that's like a 9 then, good call

if a salesperson tells you to jump you specifically should do the opposite of that and not jump

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

Thanks for the sanity check, I was absolutely rushing to consider stupid options out of a desire to get back on wheels. The hunt resumes with new rules and a search radius narrowed to 20 miles :V

Sometimes you do have to take a chance on something you would otherwise reject when you are in a time crunch and absolutely have to have wheels now, and it's the best available. Life happens, you don't always get optimum conditions.

Take as much time as you can, but if you have to take a leap on something, cross your fingers and hope there aren't any surprises. An ex-rental is probably fine, but the odds of getting a lemon are higher.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm not a fan of this cross your fingers and pray strategy when it comes to $20,000 vehicles, although I understand what you are saying since I last bought a car in a crunch having totaled mine. But that was a high demand car constantly sold out. You should be able to find camrys or equivalents around pretty easy right now. In my case I had to compromise on color and options to get back on the road quickly enough.

There's always time to thinks things over in my book, reevaluate your price expectation and whether your budget is in line with what car you're searching for.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As a renter I can first handed tell you not to buy the cars I rent.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

An alternative when you're in a time pinch is to buy the cheapest piece of junk you can find that will do the job for the short term. Plan on owning it only for a few months and just write off the cost of it.

Use the time it buys you to learn the market and settle on the right car that you plan to keep.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Deteriorata posted:

An alternative when you're in a time pinch is to buy the cheapest piece of junk you can find that will do the job for the short term. Plan on owning it only for a few months and just write off the cost of it.

Use the time it buys you to learn the market and settle on the right car that you plan to keep.

This is great advice, you don't want to be buying under distress and even spending $3/4k can get you a car that will last a couple of years if you can put up with a driving an older/beat up car. PPI/test drive before you buy is definitely still just as (if not more) important for that case.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DildenAnders posted:

This is great advice, you don't want to be buying under distress and even spending $3/4k can get you a car that will last a couple of years if you can put up with a driving an older/beat up car. PPI/test drive before you buy is definitely still just as (if not more) important for that case.

Pre-covid, maybe. Its getting better but a quick look at autotrader < 4k shows only 20+ year old cars and 10+ year old cars with obviously misaligned body panels and crash damage.

Its worth looking but its still dire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In addition to all the other good and accurate advice you have recieved, you should especially not throw money in desperation at a commodity car like a Camry. Toyota makes like 200k of them a year.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

in a well actually posted:

Pre-covid, maybe. It’s getting better but a quick look at autotrader < 4k shows only 20+ year old cars and 10+ year old cars with obviously misaligned body panels and crash damage.

It’s worth looking but it’s still dire.

Autotrader is pretty bad for the bottom of the market, unfortunately cl/facebook marketplace is the best (even then, 90% of them are inadvisable). Again, a mechanic looking it over is essential

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'm looking at 6th gen Outbacks to finally make us a 2 car household again and tow our pop-up camper. There are two that we're looking at that are local-ish and in our price range. There are a few details on the history reports of each that I wanted to run by this thread.

Outback #1 has had 3 owners in 45,000 miles, and it was apparently a commercial vehicle for the first year or so. My understanding is that rental vehicles generally show up that way, but I'm drawing a blank on what other "commercial" use a Subaru Outback could have. Is the three owners in such a short time a red flag?

Outback #2 was a lease and only has 36,000 miles on it. It looks fine in the listing, but the history report shows 6 visits to the dealership to check the radio/sound system in the first year. There are no instances of that over the next two years. What kind of issue can crop up with the radio that needs so many return visits?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Commercial could mean owned by a business. Company car, real estate person, whatever. The owner should show on the CarFax.

You need to PPI whatever you're looking at, ideally with a mechanic who knows anything about Subarus because there are few charming design idiosyncrasies to them. Are you looking at 5th or 6th generation (MY2020+) cars?

Anecdote and not data, but our family friend's Crosstrek EV has had horrible radio problems. It has gone back multiple times to get the head unit replaced. I wouldn't touch their car and I'd be wary of a Subaru with similar problems. The problem with integrated head units is that if things go wrong it can impact other control systems.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the current best practice on selling cars private party? In this case, I have a 2004 LS430 with 40k miles on it, with a stereo that's flaking out but otherwise in good shape as it spent the first 17 years of its life as a winter car in Arizona. I'm thinking it'd be a great step up form a beater kinda thing, maybe $7500. Last time I sold a car was on craigslist 7 years ago. Seems like Facebook Marketplace is the thing now? Last time I did this I called the guy's bank to check available funds, but my understanding is that that's not foolproof and you really need to just do cash?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In addition to all the other good and accurate advice you have recieved, you should especially not throw money in desperation at a commodity car like a Camry. Toyota makes like 200k of them a year.

Right on, I appreciate everyone's input; better to do it right than do it (relatively) fast. I think a couple of market issues I'm running into locally are the flood of Hyundai and Kia models that insurance companies don't want to touch and most other decent-looking sedans at 60K+ miles after two years of rental service in a tourist city.

Might as well get the template out:
Proposed Budget: Under $22,000
New or Used: Probably used, not entirely opposed to new
Body Style: Mid-size sedan/coupe/wagon; my legs are too long for a Mazda3 to be comfortable
How will you be using the car?: Mostly urban commuting, occasional freeway trips
What aspects are most important to you?: No JATCO CVTs, Nissan or Ford of any variety, Hyundai and Kia are probably out thanks to TikTok dipshits ruining their insurance market. Model year 2018+ would be nice for the mandatory backup cam and common Bluetooth audio. Decent trunk space or hatchback are welcome, I might need to haul a dozen boxed laptops & monitors across town sometimes. Maintenance and reliability are significant concerns, I've got a basic tool set and am fine with doing some work but no lift/garage access. I've mostly been looking at Honda, Mazda, and Toyota based on friends/family recommendations but if something else fits the bill I'll check it out.

Thanks again for the input so far!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Since you don't mention fun to drive, you're an ideal candidate for a Toyota Prius.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Talk me out of wanting to downsize my gas hog 21 Tacoma to a 24 hybrid cr-v or rav4. Im doing like 18 k miles a year lol.

No selectable 4wd is something Id miss.

The bed Im thinking I can go back to surviving without.

I need whatever to get through any winter weather / ski mountain weather you can think of. with the exception of deep snow. Im noticing we have these things called snowplows driving around

Id have to wave goodbye to my Covid era interest rate

Prius too small

Edit: Bought a '24 rav4 hybrid xse

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 2, 2024

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I didn't hate the Prius company car I used a few times back around 2016, but the only ones I've seen locally are well into six-digit mileage or otherwise significantly compromised. If I had to prioritize fun above sense, I'd probably become a machine that converts ramen into blood plasma, learn stick, and dive on the Lancer Evo FE that Carvana just e-mailed me. :V
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2997478

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Commercial could mean owned by a business. Company car, real estate person, whatever. The owner should show on the CarFax.

You need to PPI whatever you're looking at, ideally with a mechanic who knows anything about Subarus because there are few charming design idiosyncrasies to them. Are you looking at 5th or 6th generation (MY2020+) cars?

Anecdote and not data, but our family friend's Crosstrek EV has had horrible radio problems. It has gone back multiple times to get the head unit replaced. I wouldn't touch their car and I'd be wary of a Subaru with similar problems. The problem with integrated head units is that if things go wrong it can impact other control systems.

6th generation. Would it be best to do the PPI at a Subaru dealership if I can get it in, or anywhere as long as they have a bit of familiarity with them?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ethanol posted:

Talk me out of wanting to downsize my gas hog 21 Tacoma to a 24 hybrid cr-v or rav4. Im doing like 18 k miles a year lol.

No selectable 4wd is something Id miss.

The bed Im thinking I can go back to surviving without.

I need whatever to get through any winter weather / ski mountain weather you can think of. with the exception of deep snow. Im noticing we have these things called snowplows driving around

Id have to wave goodbye to my Covid era interest rate

Prius too small

How big/small and how much money?

I drive up and back to ski resorts every week in the winter and have had zero problems with a Haldex AWD car (Audi TTS) and a 4WD Porsche so I would not say you need anything like off road ability for this use case. In Switzerland everyone has some kind of AWD though.

The TTS was very economical so I am going to make my usual recommendation of a Golf R, which is basically the same thing but more practical and still like 300hp.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Baronash posted:

6th generation. Would it be best to do the PPI at a Subaru dealership if I can get it in, or anywhere as long as they have a bit of familiarity with them?

Find an indy that does Subarus. I would not get a PPI at at dealer and they probably aren't super interested in doing it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

As a renter I can first handed tell you not to buy the cars I rent.

This makes me sad. I don't stop myself from enjoying my rentals but I definitely don't abuse them. Most of the time I'm in no rush, doing 5 over on the freeway and trying to figure out how to turn a feature on or off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

This makes me sad. I don't stop myself from enjoying my rentals but I definitely don't abuse them. Most of the time I'm in no rush, doing 5 over on the freeway and trying to figure out how to turn a feature on or off.

I normally don't abuse rentals but sometimes you want to go to Pedra Grande up an unimproved road and you got to use the tools you have (Fiat Uno)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Oh, that Grand Cherokee I took up a Mount Rainier road....

Don't buy that one for sure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I followed an actual rally course in a rental Fiat Punto, it was fun as hell, and the 60hp diesel engine was bouncing off a redline the entire time. That car is not going to live long, I guarantee you that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucQKNkvzQ3g

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You better believe I was redlining my EcoBoost mustang rental

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

How big/small and how much money?

I drive up and back to ski resorts every week in the winter and have had zero problems with a Haldex AWD car (Audi TTS) and a 4WD Porsche so I would not say you need anything like off road ability for this use case. In Switzerland everyone has some kind of AWD though.

The TTS was very economical so I am going to make my usual recommendation of a Golf R, which is basically the same thing but more practical and still like 300hp.

39-41k usd is roughly the price of a optioned up rav 4 hybrid. Not interested in paying more. Those sound like good options for a European tho lol.

Ill nip any debate in the bud and say it has to be awd (or 4x4).

Tacoma in 4x4 is probably the best winter highway vehicle ive ever had but the gas mileage just blows.

Think mountain search and rescue but not the off-road part. Getting to and from home on road. And it can be wet slush.

Im cognizant of the fact the rav4 awd is forward biased. The hybrid has a different drivetrain apparently. Cant seem to find a lot of specifics on how its different from the gas version. Guessing its not all that different. I also vainly hope theyve made improvements to how much slip it takes to actually send power since I drove one like 15 years ago

Im sad to hear a new rav4 is coming in 2025. Maybe I need to wait a year to consider.

Edit: no Subaru because Ive been badly burned by their reliability already

Edit: Bought a rav4

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 2, 2024

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I have dumb question related to the car buying process and it's likely because I just don't know what I'm talking about here.

My truck got totaled a few weeks ago and I'm currently going through the process of finding another vehicle. I test drove one yesterday and had them work up numbers. While doing so I noticed they had my credit rating at like 30 points below where I know it to be (credit karma and experian accounts). When I asked about it he tried to explain but it wasn't really registering. If someone can explain it like I'm a 5 year old I'd love to hear it.

Per credit karma I'm in the 730s on equifax and transunion, his pull was for transunion and it had me at 695.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Scores can vary based on different factors for different uses. There are a number of different models.

As a random example, Transunion auto loan new car model #2 may weigh 24-36mo credit card payment history heavier than Transunion Generic CreditKarma.

Which model they use depends on what their lenders want.

Tldr: whose line is it anyway rules.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It depends on what number theyre using. VantageScore 3.0 is different than 4.0 is different than FICO 8 is different than FICO 9 is different than (there are 16 different FICOs).

Its just a different score is all. They are all as equally made up. Your equifax or transunion or credit karma is checking the same data but using a different scoring system.

Personally I put no weight in a numerical credit score, and neither does any lending agency worth their salt. They check the credit reports, not the scores (beyond a cursory glance). Theyre a semi-useful shorthand in very specific contexts, depending on which score is used.

Fun thing: they dont exist in most other countries. Our system is not transferable to other countries, save maybe Canada. They didnt exist before the 80s. We got bamboozled as a country into accepting that any of this poo poo was important.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Oh I know it's all pretty much made up social credit bullshit, and I'm glad they just look at payment history instead to see I've never missed a payment.

I was just annoyed/worried because it takes me out of the "best" bracket (720-850) and was wondering why that would be. As long as it's not loving me over I don't care. Much appreciated.

Now I get to decide on a 2023 tacoma with 14k miles or a 2021 tacoma with 37k miles.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
Proposed Budget: $25k-30k
New or Used: Prefer new, but used would be fine
Body Style: 4 door sedan, but a suv or hatchback would work as well
How will you be using the car: Mostly going to and from work and driving locally, so lots of stop and go driving. I also drive 400 miles round trip a few times a year to visit my brother in another state
What aspects are most important: Long term reliability and comfort. Good gas mileage and MPG are a plus, but not top priority

My current vehicle's (2012 chevy malibu) power steering went out while driving and it's going to cost more than it's worth to fix. I've been saving up for a new vehicle anyway so rather than sink more money into it I've decided to just get a new one.

What I'm looking for is a reliable 4 door sedan that is comfortable to drive. I don't need any high performance since I mostly drive locally and to and from work, plus I'm usually a pretty slow driver anyway. I sometimes go on the freeway but even then I'm one of those guys that drives you crazy with how I'm going 65 when the limit is 70, so I hardly ever use a car's full performance capability. Acceleration and top speed aren't a huge concern. Good city gas mileage would also be great as well, but it's not the most important thing. What I want is a car that I can rely on for a long time to get me from point A to point B in comfort- not necessarily style or fun.

I'm thinking of a Toyota Corrola or Camry, Honda Civic or Accord, or even a Buick Envista.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Prius

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think for a while the template had a line that made everyone say why they shouldn't get a Prius. We should bring that back.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Big agree. Everyone asking what car to buy should ask first "should I just get a Prius" first.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
Priuses are difficult to find around my local area, at least new ones or good ones with low mileage. The nearest one used is at a dealership about 2 hours away, and the new ones aren't in stock and cost about $10k more than I would like to spend. I haven't checked any private sellers. I don't have time to wait for one to become available. If by some chance I can find one that's both local and affordable then that would most likely be exactly what I'm looking for. But it's not likely.

Failing that, are there any other recommendations?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You are on the right track looking at Corrolas, Camrys, Civics, and Accords if you need a car right now or else. You can also rent until a Prius shows up.

If you're just sticker and feature shopping what's on the lot right now for immediate purchase and are ok with crossovers I'd also look at Rav 4s and CR-Vs.

You could also consider a Mazda 3. It's straying a little from some of the important aspects but gaining in comfort if you jive with Mazda interiors (which I do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

jokes posted:

Big agree. Everyone asking what car to buy should ask first "should I just get a Prius" first.

I'm not looking right now, but my standing reason is "I can't stand being inside a Toyota every day". No one big thing, but death by a thousand papercuts that I never would have realized until driving our Sienna for a year. Luckily, my wife drives it 90% of the time and I can just relax in my Fusion.