Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Woolie Wool posted:

Will this break my theme

Well they probably incremented the number for a reason, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sleep sucks on everything new across operating systems. my m2 for work randomly wakes and turns my bag into an oven. my windows gaming pc on my desk randomly wakes throughout the night. my gpd win max 2 wakes as soon as you put it to sleep, unless the power cable is plugged in, then it just doesn't wake a all

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my lovely sub-$200 tiny hp laptop that i bought last year with debian+mate sleeps and wakes flawlessly and is gneerally a joy to use now that i know how to use a touchpad properly

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycophobia posted:

my lovely sub-$200 tiny hp laptop that i bought last year with debian+mate sleeps and wakes flawlessly and is gneerally a joy to use now that i know how to use a touchpad properly
How do you use a touchpad properly?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my desktop pc is allllllmost perfect. sometimes it doesn’t wake up, like maybe a couple times a month

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

mystes posted:

with your cock

just as the abrahamic god intended

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
wake it up to shut it down (wake it up to make it die)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

NVK is now ready for prime time

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mystes posted:

dont use the buttons. i didnt know a 2-finger tap right clicked and 3 fingers middle clicked until recently and that made it more than bearable all of a sudden

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycophobia posted:

dont use the buttons
I had a feeling I was going to hate whatever the answer was

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mystes posted:

You get a ThinkPad and use the clit

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mystes posted:

I had a feeling I was going to hate whatever the answer was

better than using the buttons!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

You get a ThinkPad and use the clit

correct answer

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Gonna try to switch to Linux sleep mode when my gen 2 Thinkpad arrives today. I didn’t know about this with the gaming laptop I had from Asus so I didn’t get a chance to try it with that but yeah whatever this new sleep is it sucks.

I assume it should just work on Windows and macOS but the problem with those is they have so many goddamn wake conditions it’s pointless anyway. My wife put her Windows laptop to sleep at night and woke up to a dead battery because Windows Update decided it was time to do its thing even though it wasn’t plugged in. I’d say lol gently caress Windows but I had a MacBook do the same thing once until I figured out how to disable all that poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Windows wakes up for a million different reasons but disables network adapters so WOL doesn't work and it's a giant pain in the rear end to re-enable WOL and it's even hardware dependent.

Feels like a joke tbh.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

set the sleep mode from windows to linux in the firmware setup and it should sleep

feels like a trap to me

https://web.archive.org/web/20080918225423/https://mjg59.livejournal.com/96129.html

oh wait apparently it enables S3 sleep mode? and windows users are recommending to each other to put the BIOS into linux mode?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Fix-for-Lenovo-s-laptop-cooking-BIOS-update/m-p/5003429

lol is calling it "linux" mode lenovo's way of getting out of microsoft's supposed requirement to eliminate S3?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

set the sleep mode from windows to linux in the firmware setup and it should sleep

looks like it's just not supported on my model. I'm ok with using hibernate instead of sleep, set up a swap partition and everything, but apparently I need to disable secure boot to use hibernate on Ubuntu? Is that safe to do

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/please-improve-the-s0ix-experience-under-linux/79113/5 posted:

Just to second Mario’s comment (which is awesome) and add my perspective from supporting platforms at Lenovo. Most of our platforms (with the exception of a couple of workstations) are now S0ix only.

We did dual sleep support with both S3 and S0ix as an option in the BIOS (with S3 as ‘best effort’ for users who didn’t want to switch) on our Linux certified Intel platforms for a few years - and it was a nightmare.

Sleep issues are hard - regardless of S0ix or S3 - so it more than doubled the work. We were certifying with S0ix (that was only what Intel were supporting and was the default) and then doing internal testing with S3 (but more limited).

We found many S3 issues would creep in with FW updates - devices would stop working on resume, system wouldn’t sleep properly and battery drain in a few cases were horrible. Getting fixes done took forever and we couldn’t delay FW updates for a sleep mode that was supposed to be ‘best effort’. Users were frustrated (understandably) and it was not a good experience for anybody. We were honestly trying to do the right thing - but it wasn’t working.

We made the decision to stop doing S3 support last year and to remove the option. Having it available just didn’t work well and I agree with Mario - we have to focus on getting S0ix working right (and largely it is - and when it isn’t we work on fixing it).

I know losing S3 is going to upset a few people - but it was a considered decision on our side and based on user experience and how to be able to deliver better Linux support more effectively. I think there are ways to hack around it but I suspect the cases when that gives you a better experience are few (and I’d rather fix the S0ix experience for those few cases on our platforms!)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

oh lawd apparently the "2" in "s2idle" stands for "to", as in "Suspend-To-Idle", which uses ACPI state S0. thanks linus

mystes
May 31, 2006

shackleford posted:

oh lawd apparently the "2" in "s2idle" stands for "to", as in "Suspend-To-Idle", which uses ACPI state S0. thanks linus
oh my god why

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
anyone using a framework 13?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you can thank Rafael J. Wysocki, an Intel employee, who introduced the s2idle name in 406e79385f3223d82272cf2be86bc95cd000a258 back in 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

you can thank Rafael J. Wysocki, an Intel employee, who introduced the s2idle name in 406e79385f3223d82272cf2be86bc95cd000a258 back in 2016

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

mystes posted:

use a trackpoint instead like god intended

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
a2m

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pseudorandom name posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

kde 6 is great so far! albeit i have run the beta for a while, but now i run the proper release. installed without a hitch on gentoo too

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Thanks for beta testing, I'll switch over once it hits ~amd64 :v:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm i didn't know

From RHEL9: SPICE has become unsupported

rdp is the way if you have windows boxes then..?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shackleford posted:

lmao loving linux

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tankakern posted:

hm i didn't know

What the gently caress is Red Hat doing. QXL and SPICE are widely used for a reason. If I create a new VM in virt-manager, it'll have both configured by default. Going from default to removed is insane.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

Why no SPICE:
1. Due to some license restrictions around H.264 codecs we are not able to provide a Streaming solution which is needed for modern workloads (as all drivers are using 3D today). Also vGPU support is not possible without this.
2. There are quite some 3rd party solutions that already have a proper implementation (licensed software due to H.264 restrictions unfortunately).
3. For console access and local acceleration VNC is capable of doing the job - and VNC is also used for OpenStack and KubeVirt and they are both not interested in using SPICE instead.

Mainly due to (1) and (3) we decided to deprecate our work on SPICE.

:psyduck:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what a weird reason, aren't there like av1 or vp9 now that both have hw accel and is royalty free? it cannot be _that_ much work to just switch codec?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

code:
typedef enum SpiceVideoCodecType {
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_MJPEG = 1,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_VP8,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_H264,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_VP9,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_H265,

SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_ENUM_END
} SpiceVideoCodecType;
:iiam:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ibm is why we can't have nice things

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Red Hat has been sipping from the laquer can a bit too much in the past two years or so, imo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

hm i didn't know

Wtf

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
anyway sleep works fine on my samsungs i guess? they run out of battery after about a week, so it's not hibernating. idk which ACPI state it is though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Antigravitas posted:

code:
typedef enum SpiceVideoCodecType {
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_MJPEG = 1,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_VP8,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_H264,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_VP9,
    SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_H265,

SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_ENUM_END
} SpiceVideoCodecType;
:iiam:

Tankakern posted:

what a weird reason, aren't there like av1 or vp9 now that both have hw accel and is royalty free? it cannot be _that_ much work to just switch codec?

almost nothing supports hw decoding av1 or vp9 fully. even some h.265/hevc features can't be assumed to be present everywhere, although it's much better supported than either (or vp8 for that matter, but vp8 is better supported than vp9 and definitely av1)

otoh almost everything can decode h.264, and it's still Good Enough (and probably will be for quite some time), so it's still the default