Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not agreeing with him either, I'm pointing out the absurdity of his statement. We should also order Mexico to knock off that cartel war bunk or it's ring-a-ding-ding for you bozos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has anyone seen Melania lately? Are we sure she's still around somewhere?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

burnishedfume posted:

Wouldn't the doctors having immunity not matter if the operators or administrators of the IVF clinic or hospital don't? Like if someone left the embryo fridge open at a clinic, wouldn't the clinic operators still be in danger of being charged with negligent manslaughter?

Yeah, this doesn't solve the problem at all. I don't think it would even cover the situation that led to the lawsuit in the first place (an unauthorized person trespassed and destroyed some embryos)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

burnishedfume posted:

Wouldn't the doctors having immunity not matter if the operators or administrators of the IVF clinic or hospital don't? Like if someone left the embryo fridge open at a clinic, wouldn't the clinic operators still be in danger of being charged with negligent manslaughter?

Also, what about non-doctor lab techs, transport people, janitors? Immunity doesn't make what the doctors do not a crime, so it doesn't make everyone else involved not an accomplice. This is like shooting a dozen holes in a boat hull then patching two.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Alabama is solving their IVF issue, but in a way that might cause more legal problems in the future.

Their solution is not to repeal the original laws that effectively banned IVF, but to pass a bill giving doctors criminal and civil immunity for destroying embryos during IVF.

That is going to solve the immediate problem of IVF clinics shutting down and allow them to open back up, but could still cause a lot of weird legal issues in the future as embryos are legally considered children under most law in Alabama.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1763263844531507412

People tend to have long memories when you put them in direct danger, and I doubt that IVF facilities will be in any hurry to reopen under a 'band-aid' provision.
We'll see what happens but I think that healthcare workers will be rattled enough to want more than 'we'll look the other way as long as there's no accidents'.

burnishedfume posted:

That's essentially the fact pattern from the clinic that got sued for wrongful death, opening the door for the AL Supreme Court ruling in the first place, IIRC: an unauthorized person trespassing and negligently destroying an embryo. And it doesn't look like that would be protected, from what I'm aware of.

Also, this fundamentally only works for the grifter wing:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/29/alabama-house-passes-bill-to-protect-ivf-00144161 posted:

Rep. Ernie Yarbrough, a Republican who voted against the measure, said that the bill would “grant immunity to murder,” voicing the sentiments of many in the anti-abortion movement who argue that life begins at conception whether or not that happens inside the uterus.

“What I had learned and read up to yesterday had me very concerned that the Alabama Supreme Court, in a state whose official position is pro-life and therefore defends that life begins at fertilization, could have possibly, I don’t know, but possibly uncovered a silent Holocaust going on in our state.”

Additionally, this legislation only passed one house of their legislature and is not in full effect.

This is a smoke bomb. It's jingly keys.
It's just the realpolitik republicans trying to throw together the bare minimum to get the heat off them so they can go back on their bullshit.

Neodymium fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 29, 2024

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really don't care, do u?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

She was traded in for a Mercedes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I really don't care, do u?

Not really, I just find it funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

She was in the audience at a Trump rally last week when he forgot her name. That was what prompted Trump's weird video today.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Looks to be Alabama HB 237.

Alabama House posted:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA:
Section 1. (a) Related to in vitro fertilization and
notwithstanding any provision of law, including any cause of
action provided in Chapter 5 of Title 6, Code of Alabama 1975,
no action, suit, or criminal prosecution for the damage to or
death of an embryo shall be brought or maintained against any
individual or entity when providing or receiving goods or
services related to in vitro fertilization.
(b) This section is intended to apply retroactively to
any act, omission, or course of services which are not the
subject of litigation on the effective date of this act.
Section 2. This act shall become effective immediately.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Trying to make a thing out of Biden not doing a cognitive test that wouldn't even show what people think it is show is definitely an attempted distraction when Trump somehow makes more regular mistakes than Gaffer Joe.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 29, 2024

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Not really, I just find it funny

I'm worried my incredible wit went unnoticed https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/melania-trump-seen-wearing-i-dont-care-jacket

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Biden should just say he identified the whale on the picture better than anyone ever has before and move on.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mobby_6kl posted:

Biden should just say he identified the whale on the picture better than anyone ever has before and move on.

“Identified the retractable nipples off that sumbitch.

Beluga!”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Katie Britt is going to try and break the "Promising political rising star ruins career after giving SOTU response" curse.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1763294115091943449

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Who?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Katie Britt is going to try and break the "Promising political rising star ruins career after giving SOTU response" curse.

Hopefully it claims her too. The GOP doesn't need any potential "rising stars" to fall back on at this point; they should just work with the garbage they already have out there.

Also, lol at the idea of sticking an Alabama senator out there in the wake of the IVF ruling and all of the damage that it's done for the GOP in the past week or so. Hopefully this move causes more and more stories to reference Alabama's dick-shooting decision, AND she tries to work in some kind of "In Alabama we stand for X" talking point that people can use to write further stories underlining Republican hypocrisy in the wake of the SotU and her response. (For all of the good it will do with the vast majority of Americans.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

She's a Senator from Alabama who was just elected in the last midterm.

There's really nothing especially notable about her except that she is an elected Republican who is relatively young and a woman.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Oof the SOTU response kiss of death

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Granting civil immunity to doctors of any kind is actually a Huge loving Deal and something that is strongly opposed by medical malpractice insurance providers. I don’t have any articles about this but I’ve heard even the AMA is against it because the threat of malpractice is used to drive up (surgeon) salaries. Also anesthesiologists I guess.

Funny this happened in a state that ruled caps on malpractice damages were unconstitutional. I’m not sure the Alabama legislature understands the can of worms they’re opening here.

Neodymium posted:

We'll see what happens but I think that healthcare workers will be rattled enough to want more than 'we'll look the other way as long as there's no accidents'.

That’s basically what working for an HCA hospital is right now

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 29, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like they just legalized abortion, if you destroy the embryo that's inside the womb while in the process of performing a sadly unsuccessful but very avant-garde IVF procedure

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

if the AMA and insurance is against civil immunity, then civil immunity is ... good?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FizFashizzle posted:

Granting civil immunity to doctors of any kind is actually a Huge loving Deal and something that is strongly opposed by medical malpractice insurance providers. I don’t have any articles about this but I’ve heard even the AMA is against it because the threat of malpractice is used to drive up (surgeon) salaries. Also anesthesiologists I guess.

Funny this happened in a state that ruled caps on malpractice damages were unconstitutional. I’m not sure the Alabama legislature understands the can of worms they’re opening here.

You're right that civil immunity for doctors is generally a huge thing. This particular law is fairly limited immunity that only applies to legitimate IVF procedures that lead to death or damage to an embryo. They can still be sued for negligence or malpractice to actual humans. It essentially returns the situation to the status quo from earlier and prevents any rogue prosecutor from decided to prosecute them for killing an embryo in the normal process of IVF.

quote:

no action, suit, or criminal prosecution for the damage to or
death of an embryo shall be brought or maintained against any
individual or entity when providing or receiving goods or
services related to in vitro fertilization.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 29, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

My cheese brain filled in the blanks of the poster as as Kaitlin Bennet and and I was surprised she became so chill since pinching a loaf in the back of her dress and carrying an AR around campus

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This particular law is fairly limited immunity that only applies legitimate IVF procedures that lead to death or damage to an embryo. They can still be sued for negligence or malpractice to actual humans.

/Lawyer for a surgeon with Dr James Andrews’ group who just had a 75 year old patient die during an elective shoulder procedure-ishly

“If an embryo is a life, then….”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Young, highly ambitious politician who's structured her whole life around a path to higher office, spending her career attaining every credential that might be useful for a politician, sucking up to every person and organization that might help her political career prospects, and holding every position that's currently popular among the base even if they completely contradict positions she held a decade ago.

Her first ever elected office was to the Senate in 2022, so she doesn't have much of a record. The seat she ran for was the one previously held by her mentor Richard Shelby, who held the seat for 44 years and gave her his full backing when he retired. While it was a contested primary, the endorsement of a longtime Alabama political figure (and the fact that he dumped all his remaining campaign cash into her super PACs) gave her quite a boost.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FizFashizzle posted:

/Lawyer for a surgeon with Dr James Andrews’ group who just had a 75 year old patient die during an elective shoulder procedure-ishly

“If an embryo is a life, then….”

You're not that wrong! People will definitely be looking for edge cases for tons of poo poo like that. That is why legally defining an embryo as a person without thinking about the broader consequences leads to some wild legal stuff. Most of it will never be challenged, but in a few years you know that there will be some crazy lawsuits or attempted criminal charges in Alabama for cases nobody thought about.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

So it would be simpler to order Mexico to stop all migrants at their southern border, why isn't Mike Johnson doing that?

In fact this would be a lot cheaper to, build a wall across Mexico's southern border with US funds as it's so much shorter than the US border, and you can use cheaper work force too.

also if you go with the galaxy :freep: brain "make a gigantic wall of old car tires that gather water and become nests for all kinds of snakes and other hazards", then southern Mexico is a much better place for that

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Watching the Trump speech with the sound off, and I am wondering who the dudes are behind him. I wish there was follow-up from reporters asking if they agreed with Trump, that the folks coming across the border are all terrorists or were sent directly from insane asylums. Do these guys believe this insane speech? Or are they forced to be there? Are they true believers?
And I wonder how Trump actually feels about Greg Abbott, in his wheelchair. The campaign just threw a disabled kid and his dad out of the front rows of a recent speech, for Trump's people, I wonder if the wheelchair makes Trump physically ill or something.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I hope she has the thickest AL accent ever.

regional accents dying and everything homogenizing into newcaster style is lame

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

I hope she has the thickest AL accent ever.

After a quick YouTube check I can sadly confirm that if I hadn’t been informed where she was from before she spoke, I wouldn’t have known she was from the South, let alone AL.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/29/biden-walks-back-gaza-truce-00144168

Lmao that even Biden is now joining Israel and Hamas in shaking his head at Genocide Joe's claims about a ceasefire coming soon

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Katie Britt is very much Trump's type.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

koolkal posted:

Lmao that even Biden is now joining Israel and Hamas in shaking his head at Genocide Joe's claims about a ceasefire coming soon

When things are phrased in the manner of "Let's laugh at this person failing to achieve the thing," and the context of the accompanying writing implies the thing being done is a good thing, it ultimately gives me the feeling that this isn't really about Palestine or Israel as much as it's about scoring points against Joe Biden.

Not that I'm implying bad faith, mind you! Just giving advice on how you might be more rhetorically effective when people like me read your comments.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 29, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

koolkal posted:

In addition to what pharmer said, some of this is in light of the massacre of 140ish people at an aid distribution site.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Google Jeb Bush posted:

In addition to what pharmer said, some of this is in light of the massacre of 140ish people at an aid distribution site.

Tanks opened fire and then ran over the bodies.

Who was in danger? Who is being endangered?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Alabama is solving their IVF issue, but in a way that might cause more legal problems in the future.

Their solution is not to repeal the original laws that effectively banned IVF, but to pass a bill giving doctors criminal and civil immunity for destroying embryos during IVF.

That is going to solve the immediate problem of IVF clinics shutting down and allow them to open back up, but could still cause a lot of weird legal issues in the future as embryos are legally considered children under most law in Alabama.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1763263844531507412

one teensy tiny little catch though

quote:

State Rep. Terri Collins (R) introduced a companion bill in the House. Collins’s bill is retroactive and would automatically repeal on June 1, 2025, while Melson’s would repeal on April 1, 2025.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Can you claim embryos on your taxes? I have an interesting investment idea....

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jesus III posted:

Someone is already ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jesus III posted:

Can I get SNAP benefits for my embryos?