Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, it seems like they could essentially add more of most systems they have in the game - more decks, more jokers, new blinds, new mechanics even. Maybe entirely new types of cards and boosters.

Also, the best case scenario would be if they did a major update, they essentially separated it into a new mode so that you could choose if you wanted to play version of the game, or the other. I don't know why more games don't do this.

I could see coming back to this game often, especially if they add more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How do you deal with Ante 11+ on endless mode? It's a huge jump from like a 1 mil boss blind to 7 mil small blind. The best decks I can make can only score like a mil per hand.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How do you deal with Ante 11+ on endless mode? It's a huge jump from like a 1 mil boss blind to 7 mil small blind. The best decks I can make can only score like a mil per hand.

Usually it's about having a ton of times multiplier Jokers and/or Jokers/Seals that cause cards and their effects to trigger multiple times. It's the only really consistent way to get enough points by that threshold in the scaling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

It shouldn't consume your tag though. If you can beat the next blind it'll pop then if the joker drops I think. Would it pop if you opened a pack?

I'm aware. There's pretty much no situation where my run is surviving long enough to get to buy that Joker. My choices are

1) Spend money on consumables, go fight Small Blind for 1,000, maybe I beat it, but I get no money, Joker appears in the shop, I can't afford it because Small Blind gave me no money.
2) Don't spend money on consumables, go fight Small Blind, try to get 1,000 with a naked deck and no upgrades, good loving luck.
3) Spend money on consumables, skip Small Blind, go fight Big Blind for 1,500 with a naked deck and a couple upgrades.

None of these are good options. I took 3 and lost.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FZeroRacer posted:

balatro at higher stakes is a lot more limited in your options and how you can interact with the game meaningfully. in lower stakes this is fine because you can last until like the end of ante 3 on the basic 4x multi joker and nothing else. but at higher stakes the ante rises fast enough that you need a better set of jokers to get off the ground and the game limits your ability to manipulate your deck for high value play, making it more reliant on shop and tag rng.

i suspect the skill ceiling will get pushed higher but i don't think it'll be much higher.

I still feel like most of my high stakes losses are due to avoidable mistakes. Granted, gold might be a different beast; it directly increases RNG in a massive way and feels like it has less counterplay than orange/purple. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone better than me disproved that.

MJeff posted:

I'm aware. There's pretty much no situation where my run is surviving long enough to get to buy that Joker. My choices are

1) Spend money on consumables, go fight Small Blind for 1,000, maybe I beat it, but I get no money, Joker appears in the shop, I can't afford it because Small Blind gave me no money.
2) Don't spend money on consumables, go fight Small Blind, try to get 1,000 with a naked deck and no upgrades, good loving luck.
3) Spend money on consumables, skip Small Blind, go fight Big Blind for 1,500 with a naked deck and a couple upgrades.

None of these are good options. I took 3 and lost.

If you're just trying to unlock stuff checkered deck will pretty easily beat 1000 with a naked deck, although at higher stakes that goes up to 1200 which is pretty bleak odds even for checkered deck.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 29, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Qubee posted:

This is a fun game but I realised during my fifth run that I would prefer to have it on my mobile. It's one of those games that would be amazing and eating up time when you're stuck outside at the airport or something.

Since launch, every time I poop feels like wasted time not Balantring

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jesus the 20th challenge looks ridiculous and unfun. Not sure I'll bother with it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It's not great, you basically just have to get god cards from standard packs and also a bunch of glass cards & useful planets, and also not have the glass cards break and also get them all early. My winning run got a holo gold seal multi card that I duped a few times and then managed to turn most of the rest of the deck into glass cards by the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

havent had much of a chance to get a crack at this but finally won my first run by just going all in on pairs, getting telescope, and leveling them as much as possible. i assume that sort of small wins strat is impossible on higher difficulties but

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

havent had much of a chance to get a crack at this but finally won my first run by just going all in on pairs, getting telescope, and leveling them as much as possible. i assume that sort of small wins strat is impossible on higher difficulties but

It works just fine, although the emphasis is usually on card/joker bonuses over levels. Adding a single holo and a single foil is better than 5 levels in Pair and doesn't lock you into one hand type, which is important as there are a couple boss blinds that will hose you if you only have one good hand. Being able to get around those bosses is an important advantage of low-hand builds.

The big upshot of low-hand builds is if you have held card triggers (steel cards, the jokers that reward held queens/kings, etc.) Going all in on held triggers scales extremely well but if your build needs you to play 5 cards to have an okay base score then it's hard to shape your hand to be able to score and still keep hold card multipliers. If you load your deck with steel cards a high card may be able to score better than a five of a kind.

High card/pair builds also let you take advantage of stone cards, although that's a shorter term strategy since it's harder to scale than steel.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the highest score of all time on this dumb rear end wizard poker game.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

This game's alright, I guess.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

smoobles posted:

What's the highest score of all time on this dumb rear end wizard poker game.

This

Jossar posted:

EDIT: Apparently you can just force the game to register you as having infinity if you score high enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1b12pbr/sorry_perkeo_but_i_can_do_this_alone_first/

According to the guy who posted the video, at some point Balatro will still consider there to be a fail state (apart from, you know, the game crashing) so you can't just keep doing this for literal eternity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turns out I suck real bad at this game

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Einwand posted:

It's not great, you basically just have to get god cards from standard packs and also a bunch of glass cards & useful planets, and also not have the glass cards break and also get them all early. My winning run got a holo gold seal multi card that I duped a few times and then managed to turn most of the rest of the deck into glass cards by the end.

How many attempts did it take? It just seems completely bonkers. If it's gonna ask you to do something like this it should at least give you some kind of advantage like other challenges do.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Hate the mult multiplier Jokers in combo with the Jokers that eat other cards to the right. Was a whole game remembering to swap the mult multiplier joker to the right before I played my first hand and then back to the left again after the ante in order to not get it eaten.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Perkeo + Observatory lmao

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just got this game after watching a streamer play it terribly. I've won with the first two decks, but both times it was with a Flush Deck. The first time was hearts and I almost removed all spades from the deck, just had 2 left. Pretty fun game.

My second flush deck actually pulled out some full flushes and now I notice I'm missing two planet cards. I'm assuming those are 5 of and kind and 5 flush?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d11DS15AA7M

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

War Wizard posted:

I just got this game after watching a streamer play it terribly. I've won with the first two decks, but both times it was with a Flush Deck. The first time was hearts and I almost removed all spades from the deck, just had 2 left. Pretty fun game.

My second flush deck actually pulled out some full flushes and now I notice I'm missing two planet cards. I'm assuming those are 5 of and kind and 5 flush?

"Secret" Hands are:

5 of a kind
Flush House
5 Flush

The planet cards for these only show up after you've played them once in a run. On a new run, you have to play the hand again for the planet card to show up.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I'm very close to being one of the few nerds to complete the Collection.

Just need to find one more legendary joker from a Soul card and get $400 in a run to unlock the final two jokers, and then find the last 8 undiscovered jokers and 3 undiscovered vouchers.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I'm very close to being one of the few nerds to complete the Collection.

Just need to find one more legendary joker from a Soul card and get $400 in a run to unlock the final two jokers, and then find the last 8 undiscovered jokers and 3 undiscovered vouchers.

Trying to think of the best way to get $400 with the least rng. Probably anaglyph deck and hope for econ tags?

Oops, quote is not edit.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I got a cute combo at the start of a run with that Joker that makes common jokers every round and the sacrificial knife that ate them. Lost to the final boss though. The drat knife was at like +80 by the end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The problem with sacrificial dagger is that you can't put anything you want to keep to the right of it which means you can't use x multipliers

It would be much better if it destroyed the joker to the left of it

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

War Wizard posted:

5/kind and flush house

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Trying to think of the best way to get $400 with the least rng. Probably anaglyph deck and hope for econ tags?

Oops, quote is not edit.

Yeah, that's how I wound up getting it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

mystes posted:

The problem with sacrificial dagger is that you can't put anything you want to keep to the right of it which means you can't use x multipliers

Because of the constant creation of new jokers to feed it, I could keep it in the center and just rearrange jokers.

Edit: oh and does wheel of fortune actually work? I've used it like 8 times and it's always a nope. With ¼ odds I should have gotten something by now.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 29, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Been slowly raising my decks through different stakes, not playing every day. Getting through red.

Except the checkerboard deck. What looks like the easiest deck on paper is my white whale. I have yet to win with it at all. I've gotten to the ante 8 boss at least 3 times I can recall.

mystes
May 31, 2006

War Wizard posted:

Because of the constant creation of new jokers to feed it, I could keep it in the center and just rearrange jokers.
Yeah I guess what I said theoretically doesn't really make sense because you can just rearrange the jokers at the start of the blind, but if I did that I would definitely forget to rearrange them eventually and destroy something I don't want to

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Elman posted:

How many attempts did it take? It just seems completely bonkers. If it's gonna ask you to do something like this it should at least give you some kind of advantage like other challenges do.

Hundreds, with the vast majority of them being hard resets after not getting anything game winningly useful after the first two shops. Just me spamming one or two shops, opening the occasional standard pack that showed up and hoping to find a god card to even attempt a run with, I had one previous run that had a chance that got hard countered by a boss blind disabling that run's god card. My recommendation if you're not a completionist is simply "don't."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Using one of my Posts on this site to write a message of appreciation to the game for letting us take a victory lap. Every single roguelike I play, if I get a bonkers run I want to keep going to see how far I can push it, but they all end after the last boss or secret last boss. I can't think of another that asks me if I want to keep going after a win.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

mystes posted:

At higher stakes you can at least block it with an eternal joker.

Einwand posted:

Hundreds, with the vast majority of them being hard resets after not getting anything game winningly useful after the first two shops. Just me spamming one or two shops, opening the occasional standard pack that showed up and hoping to find a god card to even attempt a run with, I had one previous run that had a chance that got hard countered by a boss blind disabling that run's god card. My recommendation if you're not a completionist is simply "don't."

Yeah, I think I'll pass. It's a shame cause I liked the rest of the challenges but it just doesn't seem worth the effort when it's so RNG dependent and it removes every fun mechanic.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Well that's a fun shop.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

How do I use double tag? I'm confused. I know the tags are the blind skips, so do I use it when I find a skip I like?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

War Wizard posted:

How do I use double tag? I'm confused. I know the tags are the blind skips, so do I use it when I find a skip I like?

It duplicated the next skip you choose

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

mystes posted:

Let me blow your mind here, you move the joker to the left while you play your hands, just move it back before you pick the next blind

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Edit: oh and does wheel of fortune actually work? I've used it like 8 times and it's always a nope. With ¼ odds I should have gotten something by now.
statistics doesn't owe you poo poo

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

purple blind finally clear thanks entirely to midas mask + vampire

just orange to go then i can stop climbing for a while since i just want that last deck unlock

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I can't get over how deranged any random page of this thread reads without having played the game yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trying to describe this game to people who don't play video games is a wonderful thing. It's a poker game! No not like that, there's no real money. No, and there's no dealer, you just select cards. And no, you're not playing against anyone. And there are cards that just change the rules spontaneously. Huh? Of course it's fun, it's one of the most fun games I've played in ages!