Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man I'm gonna say the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Whoever was in charge of it is also clearly into metal, lots of overdriven guitars and double bass drums, rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Communist Bear posted:

I always pronounced Jenova as Jen-nova. Guess it makes sense it's nearer to Jehovah and pronounced Je-nova.

Its the same way I pronounced Shinra as Shine-ra.

Basically I suck at pronouncing things.

Yeah, count me in as a JE-nova pronouncer. First time I heard JeNOva caught me off guard lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really cool moment with the soundtrack five hours in: if you leave Kalm out the west exit, the music for that region is an instrumental version of Hollow, the ending theme from Remake

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Pro tip I just found out about : if you’re skipping cutscenes as you skip your way through the demo section don’t skip the one at the end right after the tedious fire crawling, there’s more to it that wasn’t in the demo and it doesn’t warn you about that or anything. Had to go look it up after the fact!

can you/someone link to this? i just got past this and now it's needing to download the rest. i'd go look but have been trying to avoid google/youtube due to spoilers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has there been wailing and/or gnashing of teeth over the re-localization of "Midgar Zolom"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has there been wailing and/or gnashing of teeth over the re-localization of "Midgar Zolom"

I'm sure someone out there complained but it's sort of silly to try to pretend like Midgardsormr wasn't the correct translation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crime Hazard

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The card shop owner guy outside kalm kept wrecking me at queens blood until I decided to try making a deck with tons of level 1 cards that could place pawns in front and just rushed all the way to the end and fenced him off so he couldn’t place anything

Eat poo poo card guy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

Crime Hazard

I saw someone in a Youtube comment who got mad that they relocalized "Climhazard" as "Ascension" for the remake lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I wish it was Triple Triad instead of a new game

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Harrow posted:

I saw someone in a Youtube comment who got mad that they relocalized "Climhazard" as "Ascension" for the remake lol

Oh, I was wondering where Climhazard was actually…

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
having some trouble grasping how Synergy attacks work. the tutorials say that certain duo attacks build up the relevant meters but i don't see the symbol it's pointing out anywhere

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

The card shop owner guy outside kalm kept wrecking me at queens blood until I decided to try making a deck with tons of level 1 cards that could place pawns in front and just rushed all the way to the end and fenced him off so he couldn’t place anything

Eat poo poo card guy

I respect that the game let you pull off "WH40K victory during deployment".jpg.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

having some trouble grasping how Synergy attacks work. the tutorials say that certain duo attacks build up the relevant meters but i don't see the symbol it's pointing out anywhere

It's not duo attacks, it is standard ATB attacks. Almost all of them will give you a charge once used.

Basically One ATB = One Charge for the character who uses it. Stuff that generates ATB itself doesn't work as far as I recall but everything else does (including actions like Chakra/Pray)

limp dick calvin posted:

I wish it was Triple Triad instead of a new game

I think Queen's Blood is a better game than Triple Triad TBH.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 29, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh huh, the -ga spells take 2 ATB to cast this time. Slight nerf but it also seems like some synergy skills give you easier access to the Refocus effect from Remake that gives you an extra ATB so it's probably necessary.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoy how every QB opponent is basically a YuGiOh show opponent of the week

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I think Queen's Blood is a better game than Triple Triad TBH.

After beating three opponents in Kalm I'm already in total agreement.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoy how every QB opponent is basically a YuGiOh show opponent of the week

Its great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Queen's Blood is interesting. After a few matches, the main possible issue I can see is that there's a big luck element to enemies having cards that can gently caress you up.

It's neat how the system lends itself to sudden turn-arounds. My first non-tutorial game involved suddenly flipping two rows with Magic Pot.

I've also noticed that it's often smart to pass your turn in situations where the opponent is likely to flip a cell you activate (and you can instead flip it yourself if you wait for them to activate it first).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Queen's Blood is interesting. After a few matches, the main possible issue I can see is that there's a big luck element to enemies having cards that can gently caress you up.

It's neat how the system lends itself to sudden turn-arounds. My first non-tutorial game involved suddenly flipping two rows with Magic Pot.

I've also noticed that it's often smart to pass your turn in situations where the opponent is likely to flip a cell you activate (and you can instead flip it yourself if you wait for them to activate it first).

For what it's worth it keeps introducing new mechanics and gimmick cards which tend to offer more flexibility so later on you're less beholden to luck. The Basic Bitch rear end Card Deck is super unreliable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I sat down at Tifa’s piano in the full game but it didn’t prompt me to play a song. Was that just for the demo?

Edit: yes it was demo only, it’s elsewhere in the full game.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 29, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://x.com/GoodWillsmith/status/1763197537492627682?s=20

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Could you get into the Nibelheim store or mayor's office in the demo? That might be why they don't ask you to skip until you leave the town.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Could you get into the Nibelheim store or mayor's office in the demo? That might be why they don't ask you to skip until you leave the town.

Oh man if I permanently missed something....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You don't get to keep any items you pick up in the flashback anyway. If you missed anything it'd just be a brief scene or some lines of dialogue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

game loving rules
love the goofy-rear end card game opponents. love Tifa and Aerith being besties. love Red XIII. love the music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is nothing you can permanently miss in the game. Worst comes to worst you can come back with Chapter Select in the postgame, but the Nibelheim stuff in particular is not kept.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

yeah what ImpAtom said-- the manual page is not particularly clear on this but the combat simulator stage does a slightly better job

the other thing i completely misunderstood is that synergy skills and synergy abilities are two different things, and it's only the latter that requires the synergy meter. i think this might have been more obvious in the junon demo (which i skipped)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stuker posted:

yeah what ImpAtom said-- the manual page is not particularly clear on this but the combat simulator stage does a slightly better job

the other thing i completely misunderstood is that synergy skills and synergy abilities are two different things, and it's only the latter that requires the synergy meter. i think this might have been more obvious in the junon demo (which i skipped)

Yeah, to be clear:

Skills (which you do by holding down block and then pressing a button) are free and infinite use.
Abilities (the pseudo-limit breaks) cost Charges.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Hope they come up with some ingenious control scheme for mouse and keyboard for the PC release.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CapnAndy posted:

Holy poo poo, literally opening the game with Aerith dying as the White Materia falls to the ground and bounces is just sheer loving cheek. (And it feels very silly to be spoiler-tagging something that happens within 15 minutes of hitting New Game, but not everyone has their copy and not everyone who bought digital has played it yet, so better to err on the side of politeness.)

I actually laughed out loud which felt so mean but doing it in the opening cutscene is so loving funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nothing other than minor dialogue and I guess some neat building interiors.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Carmant posted:

Hope they come up with some ingenious control scheme for mouse and keyboard for the PC release.

Most keyboards have >88 keys and, if not, there's always the shift key.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know if I quite get it from the in-game tutorials, how do you enable the bigger synergy attacks? not the ones you access while holding guard

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah. That was in the demo.

I think they just wanted everyone to be in the Nibelheim mood through doing the intro and finale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't know if I quite get it from the in-game tutorials, how do you enable the bigger synergy attacks? not the ones you access while holding guard

On a character's bar there are 5 little slots that fill up as you use ATB-using skills with them. (Unless the ATB skill refills ATB.) Once *both characters* have enough you'll be able to access Synergy Abilities in the menu. (It will be flashing ala Limit Break when you have enough charges to use them.)

Note that you can't use most of these by default, you need to unlock them via Sphere Grid.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

On a character's bar there are 5 little slots that fill up as you use ATB-using skills with them. (Unless the ATB skill refills ATB.) Once *both characters* have enough you'll be able to access Synergy Abilities in the menu. (It will be flashing ala Limit Break when you have enough charges to use them.)

Note that you can't use most of these by default, you need to unlock them via Sphere Grid.

okay, I understand the pips now. I hadn't understood you had to use other abilities on your way there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

okay, I understand the pips now. I hadn't understood you had to use other abilities on your way there

Yeah, it's kind of there to underline "You should be swapping characters regularly" because you need to build and use ATB with multiple characters to use them.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

8 hours in, game rules, the open world stuff might get annoying later on but so far it's just the right amount of interesting and worthwhile.

And I can't get over how good the music is, as someone who listened to the original soundtrack religiously even in it's midi format, it's just great.

The characterisations and changes to the story are so far also very cool updates, a lot of the "why did this never come up?" Stuff actually comes up! Really, I'm over the moon with this. It plays like how the original felt like to 12 year old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I got out to the grasslands to go to the farm, and immediately hosed off in the opposite direction and got some fun incidental dialogue while exploring. Loving this.