Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bring back checkerboarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I was hitting this, though disabling the iGPU in device manager definitely fixed it for me. the January drivers improved it a lot, but there’s definitely still a sub-second lag on starting the steam.exe process that isn’t there for other things I run. and I remain very curious about what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes

Does disabling the iGPU in the BIOS impact the behavior?

:eyepop:

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 29, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

Does disabling the iGPU in the BIOS impact the behavior?

Yeah, it fixes it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

repiv posted:

lol ff7 rebirth uses non-integer nearest neighbour scaling in performance mode

bravo squeenix you've done it again

It’s laughably bad and there is no vrr mode at all either.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

If that isn't a smug look

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

The look of a cat who appreciates the warmth of a modern gpu.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taima posted:

It’s laughably bad and there is no vrr mode at all either.

Seems to work fine for me

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sooo just installed the 4070Ti Super and yes, it can do things my 2070 couldn't do. But I haven't yet found the absolute killer app. Minecraaft with ray tracing is kinda neat. I can now run MSFS2020 on the highest settings, but upgrading the GPU doesn't relieve the annoying stutter when it's trying to stream in a big city.

I'm gonna see if I can get my PICO headset connected to the computer this weekend. Maybe I can now play high-res sims in VR.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Lord Stimperor posted:

Sooo just installed the 4070Ti Super and yes, it can do things my 2070 couldn't do. But I haven't yet found the absolute killer app. Minecraaft with ray tracing is kinda neat. I can now run MSFS2020 on the highest settings, but upgrading the GPU doesn't relieve the annoying stutter when it's trying to stream in a big city.

I'm gonna see if I can get my PICO headset connected to the computer this weekend. Maybe I can now play high-res sims in VR.

Have you tried Star Citizahaha

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

How about leveraging the frame gen stuff to crank up the performance and enable some previously unobtainable visuals. Would you be able to get Cyberpunk with all the fixins running well? That always seems like it'd be a good showcase.
I guess it'd be dependent on resolution still, even with the frame gen

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

I hope you enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, cos you'll be playing a lot of that.

e; aaand beaten like Dr. Fingers

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

chadbear posted:

Have you tried Star Citizahaha

:crobear: (I think I was actually the one who made this smiley but someone else bought it)

YerDa Zabam posted:

How about leveraging the frame gen stuff to crank up the performance and enable some previously unobtainable visuals. Would you be able to get Cyberpunk with all the fixins running well? That always seems like it'd be a good showcase.
I guess it'd be dependent on resolution still, even with the frame gen

sauer kraut posted:

I hope you enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, cos you'll be playing a lot of that.

e; aaand beaten like Dr. Fingers

I adored CP2077. One of the few games where I even tried to get all those optional filler fetch and open world quests. Problem is I played through it when I was waiting for info whether my dad would recover from his illness or not. And I super immersed myself into that game because of its theme of dealing with impeding mortality. I've repeatedly tried to get into the DLC but because of the association I didn't. Might give it a try now, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Oh thats your problem, you played a game for making connections and meaning in your life. You're supposed to just care about framerate and settings. Fix that and you should be all good.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Seems to work fine for me

Performance mode? works fine? I mean it takes all kinds, good on ya

Hughmoris posted:

The more comfortable he gets the more smug he gets, its ridiculous

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yes, vrr works on performance mode for me. Be less of a oval office, and check your setup

Idk it says off on my S95B, but it says ON when it detects it working. Could you explain why you're calling me a oval office lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 1, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yes, vrr works on performance mode for me. Be less of a oval office, and check your setup

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Did that Jedi Survivor game ever get an official framegen implementation?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lockback posted:

You're supposed to just care about framerate and settings. Fix that and you should be all good.

[Frames] Number must always go up!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ah I figured it out. I installed 7.1 surround and the stupid receiver won't pass through VRR... I guess. Which makes no sense because it does perfectly on PC including that niche HDR 10+ feature we were poking at the other day. Guess PS5 is a bridge too far :shrug: in the PS5 options, VRR just keeps saying "this device doesn't support VRR".

Idk whatever I'm going to plug it directly into the s95b and hope it delivers the 7.1 audio with the e-ARC passthrough. The main issue is there can be some small audio lag; just a few ms, which is completely fine unless you're playing a rhythm game (unfortunately I was creating a pseudo-cabinet setup for Sound Voltex so that was unlucky)...

Anyways genuinely helpful of you zed, thanks and I hope you feel better.

Bonus pic wife took of our incredibly old orange tabby this morning. He is the clint eastwood of cats and is well studied in the ways of the Blade. He is permanently glued to that mat he's laying on, which gets warm when he lays on it. He is old and conducts 95% of his business from the heated mat like Don Corleone

Happy friday yall.

e: sweet seems like it's all fixed.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 1, 2024

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Cat tipped a glass of water off my desk, straight onto the top fan of my desktop and destroyed my GTX 1060 (although the rest of the components are miraculously intact). RIP to one of the finest GPUs ever made imho.

Given what I can afford at the moment I'm looking at either picking up a 3060 OC 12GB for 350$ or a 4060 OC 8GB or a 400$ (if these prices do not match your lived experiences, it may be because I'm in europe). Am I right in that 12GB VRAM is probably overkill for games? And that probably the 4060 is better value? I'm not about to start training LLMs, I just wanna play cyberpunk and maybe be able to play new releases on modest settings during the coming years.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Taima posted:

Idk whatever I'm going to plug it directly into the s95b and hope it delivers the 7.1 audio with the e-ARC passthrough. The main issue is there can be some small audio lag; just a few ms, which is completely fine unless you're playing a rhythm game (unfortunately I was creating a pseudo-cabinet setup for Sound Voltex so that was unlucky)...

You could try connecting your PC to both the TV and receiver. That's what I do so I can have 4K@120Hz VRR to the TV and audio connection for the receiver without turning on the TV. The stupid thing is that the receiver has to be set up as another display for the audio to get through it. Unfortunately I also have three monitors and that's more displays than my GPU can handle. So I had to install secondary GPU and this combination seems to cause all kinds of jankiness. Maybe you would have better luck.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mata posted:

Cat tipped a glass of water off my desk, straight onto the top fan of my desktop and destroyed my GTX 1060 (although the rest of the components are miraculously intact). RIP to one of the finest GPUs ever made imho.

Given what I can afford at the moment I'm looking at either picking up a 3060 OC 12GB for 350$ or a 4060 OC 8GB or a 400$ (if these prices do not match your lived experiences, it may be because I'm in europe). Am I right in that 12GB VRAM is probably overkill for games? And that probably the 4060 is better value? I'm not about to start training LLMs, I just wanna play cyberpunk and maybe be able to play new releases on modest settings during the coming years.

The 4060 a much better card than the 3060 if those are your only choices, but what are your AMD options around that price range? AMD cards right now tend to deliver a better price to performance ratio on the low end, where things like better ray tracing performance and high resolution upscaling aren't as big of selling points.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

The 4060 a much better card than the 3060 if those are your only choices, but what are your AMD options around that price range? AMD cards right now tend to deliver a better price to performance ratio on the low end, where things like better ray tracing performance and high resolution upscaling aren't as big of selling points.

That's a good point, I suppose my preference for Nvidia cards is more based in familiarity than rationality. In that price range I can get RX5500, RX6600, or RX7600 - all 8GB and pretty much all between 310$-350$, on the upper end a RX 7600 XT Fighter 16GB priced about the same as the 4600. Maybe I should take a closer look at those, but I've been an nvidia household for so long...

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Do you have a PCIE 4.0 mainboard? If no, you should really take a look at an AMD 6700 10GB (280€ currently) or 6700XT 12GB (often found for 330€) to get 16x 3.0 lanes.

If you insist on Nvidia, the cheapest 4060 8GB you find will play Cyberpunk at very nice settings anyway.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

6700 XT for $330
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YKCC8XD?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Saukkis posted:

You could try connecting your PC to both the TV and receiver. That's what I do so I can have 4K@120Hz VRR to the TV and audio connection for the receiver without turning on the TV. The stupid thing is that the receiver has to be set up as another display for the audio to get through it. Unfortunately I also have three monitors and that's more displays than my GPU can handle. So I had to install secondary GPU and this combination seems to cause all kinds of jankiness. Maybe you would have better luck.

Whoa. You can do that?! I'll check into it, thanks! What makes the whole thing even more difficult is the system is technically 7.1.2 (so two height speakers and one subwoofer in addition to the 7 channels) and supposedly some games on PS5 do support Atmos? Lists can be found:

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/playstation-5-games-with-dolby-atmos-support

But having to pass through Atmos seems to add this whole other layer and I honestly don't even know how to understand if the Atmos is truly working or if the heights are just being virtually sampled or whatever. Anyways- appreciated man I'll try this out with the two outputs. That's wild. Never would have thought to do that.

e: something that I do find interesting, now that I have VRR working on the PS5, is that regardless of the graphics mode you choose (Performance or Quality) the output is apparently 60 fps:

This is the output from selecting Quality, which is the 30 fps mode. I wonder what is occurring here; frame doubling, so that VRR can be applied? And further, if that's what is happening, can you perform a similar trick on a PC GPU?

It also begs the question of, why 60 and not 90 or 120? :shrug: it's fascinating to me how consoles are just computers at the end of the day, but the techniques applied to the graphical development of console titles are so, so different from what PC is doing. I don't get that. Like, I remember when checkerboard rendering came out and it was just like... why is this something consoles can do but apparently PC can't? I'm not very technical so I don't get it at all. I'm sure there's a reason.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Taima posted:

e: something that I do find interesting, now that I have VRR working on the PS5, is that regardless of the graphics mode you choose (Performance or Quality) the output is apparently 60 fps:

This is the output from selecting Quality, which is the 30 fps mode. I wonder what is occurring here; frame doubling, so that VRR can be applied? And further, if that's what is happening, can you perform a similar trick on a PC GPU?

Are you sure that VRR is enabled in the TV's game mode settings? It's possible that the PS5 is outputting 30fps but the TV is then doubling the frames and reading as 60fps. The other thing is it could just simply be an error. I've had this issue before on my LG set where it says a video feed is 60fps when it's very clearly higher or lower than that.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Taima posted:

Whoa. You can do that?! I'll check into it, thanks! What makes the whole thing even more difficult is the system is technically 7.1.2 (so two height speakers and one subwoofer in addition to the 7 channels) and supposedly some games on PS5 do support Atmos? Lists can be found:

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/playstation-5-games-with-dolby-atmos-support

But having to pass through Atmos seems to add this whole other layer and I honestly don't even know how to understand if the Atmos is truly working or if the heights are just being virtually sampled or whatever. Anyways- appreciated man I'll try this out with the two outputs. That's wild. Never would have thought to do that.

It also begs the question of, why 60 and not 90 or 120? :shrug: it's fascinating to me how consoles are just computers at the end of the day, but the techniques applied to the graphical development of console titles are so, so different from what PC is doing. I don't get that.

Edit: Typing on phone is bad yo! Answer moved here

that is called Low frame rate compensation, and most Gpus do this when you have vrr enabled as does my Nvidia. Interestingly the ps5 does not have it as an OS feature but something games implement, which I would not have expected ff7r to

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 1, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Taima posted:

that is how freesync LFC has always worked on PC, the GPU doubles or triples up frames if necessary to boost the framerate up into a range the monitor can display

if you let a games framerate drop low enough you'll see that the monitors VRR Hz display becomes a multiple of the framerate

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Mata posted:

please do not put your computer on the floor

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

repiv posted:

that is how freesync LFC has always worked on PC, the GPU doubles or triples up frames if necessary to boost the framerate up into a range the monitor can display

if you let a games framerate drop low enough you'll see that the monitors VRR Hz display becomes a multiple of the framerate

Oh poo poo, ok that makes sense thanks! Appreciate it yall. Going to respectfully take anything further offline as to not hijack the thread any longer, cheers :cheers: it's crazy how intricate things get when you're trying to balance audio concerns with VRR and other features (like sometimes ALLM works!) then the additional dimension of passing that to or through a receiver... I'm way too dumb to get most of this stuff.

e: Oh hey! Twibbit I just realized you did respond with really good answers but the formatting was weird :)

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 1, 2024

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mata posted:

That's a good point, I suppose my preference for Nvidia cards is more based in familiarity than rationality. In that price range I can get RX5500, RX6600, or RX7600 - all 8GB and pretty much all between 310$-350$, on the upper end a RX 7600 XT Fighter 16GB priced about the same as the 4600. Maybe I should take a closer look at those, but I've been an nvidia household for so long...

Like Branch and sauer said, I'd shoot for something in the RX 6700 family (6700, 6700 XT, 6750 XT) if you can still find them in your budgeted price range since they're very performant for the money, otherwise the base model RX 7600 is about on-par with the RTX 4060 if you're looking at current gen stuff

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Taima posted:

e: Oh hey! Twibbit I just realized you did respond with really good answers but the formatting was weird :)
yeah typing on phone at work and I accidentally put it in the quote block. My bad

I also just realized that 30 fps games are still output at 60hz since TVs usually have that supported. Just doubling every frame. It's possible that the TV is misinterpreting that as true FPS when in VRR mode.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 1, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's a good point, and also, VRR usually has a range where it won't work if the FPS is too low on a given set.

My set, the S95B, appears to support 20-120hz range. Whereas, for example, an LG C9 appears to support 40-120hz. Given that, frame doubling would need to occur to activate the proper VRR mechanisms on every panel that has VRR (doubling to 60 basically guarantees 100% support).

It's honestly kind of bewildering that VRR has this nominal range that it works in and you can just, like... fix that by sending twice as many of the exact same frames and I guess that is somehow the secret sauce to full VRR compatibility even for sets with high minimum frame requirements. My only question at that point is, say the frames were quadrupled to 120hz instead of doubled to 60? Would that somehow be better? Just a confusing interaction in general.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Report: the 4070 Ti Super can do MSFS2020 in VR on a Pico 4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://gamefromscratch.com/unity-china-has-nanite-and-lumen-like-features/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV9uNlEAtWE

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of Lumen and Nanite-esque features, the new version of Anvil (the Assassin's Creed engine) is said to feature RTGI and virtualized geometry: https://insider-gaming.com/assassins-creed-red-exclusive-details/

I'm assuming this will be always-on RTGI similar to Snowdrop (Avatar). People thought 4A were out of their minds when they said that they're dropping support for rasterized lighting for their future games, but Ubisoft is beating them to the punch by going all-in on RTGI for their current-gen-only games.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
cities skylines 2 could probably benefit from that nanite-like functionality

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

kliras posted:

cities skylines 2 could probably benefit from that nanite-like functionality

That and lumenlike RTGI would be wonderful for city builders I think.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 4, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe unity china is different but unity doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to new features they announce being production ready any time soon, or ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maybe we won't have to worry about that in the future if unity's set on alienating every developer with their awful decisions. but man i hear a lot of bad stories about unity