Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Oh yeah, Ember.

Ember is one of the best companions in the game.

Mechanically she's a powerhouse, especially once you get a singular ability later on that allows her to no longer care about things like "fire resistance" or "fire immunity;" even on higher difficulties she's an incredible blaster in a game that usually doesn't reward blasting over control spells, and bringing the boom is especially valuable when you're fighting the demon lord of swarms. And if you can't or don't want to blast, she also has full access to the witch hexes, which include some of the best control, buff, or debuff powers; slumber, especially on easier difficulties, may as well be a one-hit KO, Protective Luck is maybe the best defensive buff in the game, and Evil Eye is always a fantastic go-to if you want to conserve spells and have nothing else big to do.

Plot and character wise, while it does get layed on a bit thick and is a bit "come on now" at times, she's an exceptional breath of fresh air in a genre that's nearly always inundated with cynical sneering. Ember is supremely optimistic, and, shockingly and thankfully, the game doesn't trip over itself to try and prove her wrong. She truly believes the world can be a better place, that people can be better then they are, and that nobody is so far gone that they're lost for good. If one of the themes for the game is hope and redemption, Ember is one of the characters that best exemplifies that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the really funny thing about Ember was, early on, before the game's release, due to her art and class, a bunch of people were super sure that she was going to turn out to be like, hyper evil.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Szarrukin posted:

I love Ember. She's the ultimate opposite of your average Avellone NPC - instead of wise, cynical, "there's no difference between good and evil" old woman we've got naive, purehearted, idealist child (I guess? I do not remember her age, she's either a child or acts like one). It's not really a spoiler, but she's basically Carrot from Terry Pratchett books and it will soon become clear why.

One of the few things I'll go to bat for Avellone over at this point is that I really think those characters are meant to be full of poo poo and stood up to, to make you take a stance on something. You have to oppose Kreia and Ulysses, you can make Durance shut the gently caress up. His writing feels often reactionary in the literal sense to me, in that he's writing specifically in reaction to existing stuff in RPGs and nerd media, and I think the Cynical Avellone rear end in a top hat is a reaction to how sometimes the optimal route for things is "tell NPCs what they want to hear." The CAA is usually written to be not so easily solved, someone you don't roll over for just for a benefit. As with a lot of his stuff, though, the best take was in Planescape: Torment with Ravel Puzzlewell, who literally couldn't be told what she wanted to hear except by you because your answer is the only one she wants. And getting what she wants isn't really all that good for her either. Most of them after that aren't nearly as well realized about that point.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

:black101: "Our weapons barely scratch the demons' hides! We're sacrificing this girl to Iomedae so we can consecrate our weapons with her innocent blood and gain the power to destroy the spawn of the Abyss! It's extreme, but we have no other choice. We have to defend this city somehow, or else we'll all perish — including her!"
[Lore: Religion - 10] "That's ridiculous! The teachings of Iomedae directly prohibit the killing of innocents! The goddess will curse you for making this so-called 'sacrifice'!"
:eyepop: [Success!] "Exactly! What were you thinking? The goddess would never allow this!"
:hist101: "Good point, whose idea was this?" (The knight looks at his comrades in suspicion.) "I think it was yours!"
:eyepop: "My idea? I was against the whole thing right from the start! Who said we needed to make a sacrifice — wasn't it you? You can't blame anyone else for that!"

Oh yeah, can we talk about this? This is a direct lift from WH40k 5e Grey Knight Codex in which the Grey Knights did this exact thing with a group of Adepta Sororitas - slaughtered them to purify their weapons in the blood of the sanctified Brides of the Emperor so they could kill the daemons. From this interaction I can only assume this is someone at Owlcat poking fun at Matt Ward, given the person calling for her death is a cultist and not actually a Crusader.

edit: I meant to type Paizo instead of Owlcat, but Owlcat's writing definitely puts it more in the poking fun of Matt Ward camp than Paizo's original entry in the AP.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 29, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RelentlessImp posted:

Oh yeah, can we talk about this? This is a direct lift from WH40k 5e Grey Knight Codex in which the Grey Knights did this exact thing with a group of Adepta Sororitas - slaughtered them to purify their weapons in the blood of the sanctified Brides of the Emperor so they could kill the daemons. From this interaction I can only assume this is someone at Owlcat poking fun at Matt Ward, given the person calling for her death is a cultist and not actually a Crusader.

:( I literally just posted the AP encounter that inspired this scene.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

:( I literally just posted the AP encounter that inspired this scene.

Whoops. I meant to type Paizo, though Owlcat's writing definitely makes the scene feel more like laughing at Matt Ward's edginess than the original Paizo entry.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Amazing how many times "we gotta consume flesh or use the blood of an innocent" has been brought up so far.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just about every other faction besides Ultramarines and Grey Knights ate poo poo in terms of lore under Ward's watch in 5th, so while that scene was undoubtedly the worst it's hardly unique in terms of poo poo he put out. And, if I recall correctly, got flat out retconned out later (as opposed to the general "all lore is true, even if it's contradictory with other lore" rule of 40k) I want to say people say he improved eventually, which somewhat puts him above the absolute bottom barrel poo poo like Goto, but he also had a lot more influence than a random outside writer so he was in a position to do more damage too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is not a Warhammer 40k thread y'all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fair. In terms of Second Darkness, I believe it's one of - if not THE - least liked of any AP module. It's not just everything to do with the Drow that's terrible in the book, it's a whole bunch of the normal elven stuff too. It's best just written off entirely, as unlike most APs there's very little story connection with other ones. Yeah, the events are a thing that happened, but they had practically zero effect on anything else moving forward.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Blizzard, but the Nightborne are one of the better Drow variants.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, a race being mutated by some kind of magical energy is a normal and common phenomenon on Azeroth, and has nearly nothing to do with morality. As long as you're not huffing the green stuff, I suppose.

The market square is a great central map imho. There's a lot going on that pushes you in many different directions, you'll come back a few times to this map, and the enemies and friends you meet are really varied.

Ember is cool for several reasons, but we'll get to many of those much later. She's a strong combatant, which is more than can be said for quite a few other characters. And I appreciate that the near hundred years old child/teenager cannot be romanced.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Torrannor posted:

Also, a race being mutated by some kind of magical energy is a normal and common phenomenon on Azeroth, and has nearly nothing to do with morality. As long as you're not huffing the green stuff, I suppose.

The market square is a great central map imho. There's a lot going on that pushes you in many different directions, you'll come back a few times to this map, and the enemies and friends you meet are really varied.

Ember is cool for several reasons, but we'll get to many of those much later. She's a strong combatant, which is more than can be said for quite a few other characters. And I appreciate that the near hundred years old child/teenager cannot be romanced.

The near hundred years old child/teenager scorned and covered in scars.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

CommissarMega posted:

And that's not getting into how the players are supposed basically put on blackface (it's a spell to make them look like drow, but in the context of the other drow lore, it's blackface) to infiltrate an entire noble house of underdressed drow for an entire book before this. And that's assuming that the players aren't bored as poo poo beforehand since Second Darkness isn't really all that interesting, and reads more like a series of one-shot adventures that the writers had to put together because their bosses were breathing down their necks.

Goddammit, Baldur's Gate 2 also does this and I didn't make the connection to blackface until just now.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Solitair posted:

Goddammit, Baldur's Gate 2 also does this and I didn't make the connection to blackface until just now.

The BG2 novelization makes it so much worse, as well. I'll not get into it more than that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It doesn't help that most older art of Drow really does look like elves in blackface.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, Yua now has a pet cat.

On the other hand, Yua has now been exposed to time travel in the form of her own alternate future self from the past.

I like this game.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

On the one hand, Yua now has a pet cat.

I'm picturing her trying to shoot a crossbow while the cat's hanging from her hand.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But did the alternative future self from the past have a goatee? :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

But did the alternative future self from the past have a goatee? :ohdear:

You tell me.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

You tell me.

constellations are a type of goatee. i will not explain

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Cosmic Balance

Can you tell I'm between games grabbing me at the moment and have had a few days off of work?

Wrath really loves making you watch helplessly as demons murder people.

Oh well.

We'll see plenty of nabasu, and attendant ghouls, throughout the first half or so of the game.

"Hey, who are you and what are you doing here?"
:coal: (The stranger almost jumps out of his skin and the hood falls from his head. Under a mop of red curls, a round halfling face looks up at you.) "Oh! Phew! I thought you were demons! G-Good day to you, good lady!"
(Seelah's eyebrows lift in apparent surprise.) "Curl! Is that you?"
:coal: (The halfling looks at Seelah and smiles broadly.) "Oh, Lady Seelah! You're alive! Goodness me, that's the second bit of good news on an otherwise lousy day!"
"What was the first bit of good news?"
:coal: "Stick around and see for yourself!"
"Do you know this person, Seelah?"

Chastising people for looting the dead always makes me laugh in a game like this, given how you acquire about 80% of all gold and items throughout the game.

:coal: (The halfling's cheeks flush, and he hides his hands behind his back.) "I didn't... I just thought... Oh, it doesn't matter!"
"Can you tell me anything useful about what's going on in the city?"
:coal: "I'm afraid not, good lady. I just left the Defender's Heart. Before that, I was holed up in there, too scared to leave. Although spending all that time under Commander Irabeth's nose sure was something. She's a strict one — whew! — and when she gets antsy..."
"Don't even start! I've had enough of her breathin' down my neck to last me a lifetime."
"So what are you doing here? Robbing corpses?"
:coal: "No!" (The halfling protests.) "Rimvi Curl may be a rogue, but he doesn't loot corpses. I just need to get these poor lads' bodies off the road. My friends and I are on a terribly important mission, and we need to get through."

Yeah you have to bug him about it eventually, but you only get Lawful points if it's the first thing out of your mouth.

:coal: (He is interrupted by the sound of wheels rolling on the paving stones. A cart drawn by a sad little horse appears from around the corner. A pretty half-elf is driving it, and a young man in knight's armor is walking alongside. Even from a distance, you can see his tanned face and his blue eyes shining brightly. The halfling straightens up.) "See? A terribly important and very heroic mission! My friends and I are saving a beer cart from the demons."
:hist101: (As he's speaking, the newcomers notice you, and the knight cries out in jubilation.) "Seelah! I never thought I'd see you again! I thought you were headed to the main square — the center of the demons' attack..."
:j: (The half-elf smiles warmly at Seelah.) "Hey, friend! Glad to see you're all right! When we got separated by the crowd at the celebration, I knew right away that something was wrong. And when demons appeared all of a sudden, I realized that was the reason why I'd been so anxious. But I couldn't find you among the dead in the square, so I kept my hopes up, and I was proved right!"
(Seelah's face lights up with joy.) "So you're the other bit of good news Curl was talking about! You and Jannah are alive!"
:coal: "Actually, by 'good news' I meant that we found the beer cart. Sir Elan and Jannah being alive amounts to a quarter of a bit of good news. Well, maybe half!"
"A beer cart? How about sharing with us? I'm sure we could all do with a drink!"
:j: (The half-elf winks rakishly.) "Certainly! Give me your flask, friend! And if you walk with us to the Defender's Heart, we can have a more thorough sampling of the spoils there." (Despite the cheerful tone, she looks at you with anxious hope.)

Look, it was medicinal after the last couple days we'd all been having.

"You haven't told me how you know Seelah."
:hist101: "I'll save that story till we're all back at the Defender's Heart. You're going back there, aren't you? We'll have a reason to toast our spoils."
"Good luck, but I have to go."
:hist101: "So long! We're sure to meet again, either in the city or at the Defender's Heart."
:j: "Sure you will! Come to the tavern, we'll celebrate the valiant rescue of this barrel together!"

I'm assuming that these characters are all from the module or were the developers' PCs.

There's a few more important things on this map in addition to the wandering patrols of baddies.

In the north center of the Market Square is a house you can enter with this in the basement. Put a pin in this place, I do not currently have the tools to deal with what's waiting here and will come back later when I do. There's a demon down here hiding under an invisibility spell and I can't reveal invisible enemies at the moment.

Continuing to work my way counterclockwise around the map, there's a friend waiting!

Leave it to an orange kitten to have survived an apocalyptic demonic assault on the city none the worse for the wear. He slept in my cloak's hood most of the time during the war. Good luck fitting his fat arse into a hood pocket now, of course.

:ghost: "The Wardstone is their target. They must not be allowed to capture it. The consequences will be... disastrous."

This apparition pops up the first time you approach this church.

Which turns out to be Kenabres' temple of Desna! There's nothing to do here right now, though.

"Count Arendae... I have seen him a few times before. From afar. He looked highly... audacious. I confess that he did capture my attention. But that's neither here nor there — we should help him. The gratitude of a rich and influential man can only benefit us."
:ohdear: (Succeeded on a Knowledge: World check) (You have heard about the Arendae family before — this wealthy and noble Mendevian dynasty was almost wiped out by demons more than ten years ago. The last surviving member of the family, the young count Daeran, has an infamous reputation. He is well known for being a rake and a rogue.)
"Tell me more about what happened."
:ohdear: "I'll tell you what I can... I was working from dusk till dawn and back to dusk again, serving guests at the count's banquet. When the other servants came to relieve me at my post, I went to sleep. Next thing I know, I wake up and there are demons inside the mansion! I couldn't even reach the count — the monsters had blocked the way! The count's banquet was still going on — he and his guests were in the great hall, and as far as I could tell, the door to the room was sealed and the demons couldn't get in. I'm begging you, hurry! The mansion's doors are sturdily built, the demons will have to work hard to get past them, so you still have time to rescue the people inside!"
"All right, I'll help. Where is your master's house?"
:ohdear: "It's not far at all! You're better off entering from the next street over, through the passage I used to get out... Help, I'm begging you — I hate to think what the count will do to me if I don't bring back help!"

Another person runs up to the party when you approach the edge of the map. This is another sidequest.

Coming full circle felt like it had been much longer than just a day. Someone had removed Terendelev's corpse, but there was no sign of Deskari.

(What past does she see?)

This pops up when you enter the main square as the Aeon mythic theme starts playing.

(What present does she see?)

Now, you won't get the full context for what you're seeing here until near the end of the Aeon mythic path story, but I'll go ahead and tell you because it's an excellent representative of just how weird this path gets.

(What future does she see?)

This aeon is, in fact, Yua herself. Sort of.

The greatest of all the powers wielded by these enigmatic beings is the ability to travel through time and rewrite history.

There exists a timeline where Yua walked the aeon's path, but was unable to truly correct the problem as the aeon see things. So she plunged back in time, either to banish Deskari or to attempt to set another chain of events into motion, leading Yua to become an aeon again but this time under the circumstances to do the job right.

One thing aeons can't do, though, is override the free will of mortals. Aeons are inscrutable beings from beyond the boundaries of the universe unbound by space and time, but they have limits. And take note of all this if you would walk the aeon path, there's something very important you absolutely must do in Act 1 to unlock the ability to commit to the aeon path when the time comes and this sequence hinted at what you must do.

Oh, and remember that shot Yua took at Deskari that seemed to actually wound the demon lord? This is only here if you do so. Yeah, I'm holding on to this.

And overlooking the square is the temple to Iomedae. Recall the thiefling who talked about a secret underground passage to the Gray Garrison from here.

:mad: "Quit whining... Hey! Alarm! Someone's coming!"
:devil: "Maybe she'll help us?"
:mad: "Wise up, would you, before you get us killed. Let's make a run for it while we still can!"
:ninja: "No! Come on! Don't leave me! I'll die here!"
"Hey guys! I see you're in a bit of a jam!"
:ninja: "Get a load of this lot, and no escort neither! Woljif, you little poo poo, how're you not dead yet? And who's that with you?"
"They... They're friends of mine, great guys!" (Woljif turns to you and, out of the corner of his mouth, says:) "Listen, do me a solid — help them drag his sorry carcass free. They'll repay you, cross my heart!"
[Good] [Athletics 10] "I'll help you pull him out from under the rubble."

Like how Lann called his people 'neathers' and 'underground crusaders' but the game invariably refers to them as 'mongrels,' Woljiff may insist that his group are called The Family, but in practice everyone calls them 'thieflings' including the UI.

:ninja: "Whew... I'm alive. And all in one piece, give or take. Thank you, I'll remember your kindness for the rest of my life!" (The freed tiefling turns to his companions.) "And you two clowns, I don't want to hear a word out of you. 'Get into the tunnel now! One trip, just to the Gray Garrison and back! Don't be a coward, it's not going to collapse! Go, or else we came all this way for nothin'!' That ended well, didn't it?"
:devil: "Whisht! Not now, talk later!" (The tiefling eyes you and elbows his chatty companion in the ribs, causing him to double over in pain.)
"Sounds very suspicious to me. Come clean: who are you?"
:mad: "All right, all right, don't hurt us! People call us the Thieflings. We, well... We..."
:devil: "We kinda skirt around the edges of the law, that's how we make our living. Say some tyrant bans books that show stuff he don't like, or fancy Kyonin wine he don't drink — is it wrong if we step in to fill the gap in the market? If there's a demand for it, someone's got to sell it! Don't go thinking we're gangsters or anything. Our only concern is making the lives of citizens easier, for a little coin. People in this city can't even breathe without breaking some stupid regulation or restriction! Take this tunnel that collapsed on top of our friend, for instance. It leads straight to the Gray Garrison. Thanks to it, any soldier whose throat's feeling a little dry, or who's needing some nighttime reading material, we can get all the things for him that his heartless superiors refuse to. We're providing a public service!"
"I helped you — now you can help me and Commander Tirabade to save Kenabres. The militia needs people with various skills, even ones as... unusual as yours."

This checks off the quest to find a secret passage into the Gray Garrison.

:devil: "Woah, woah... Tirabade? Irabeth Tirabade from the Eagle Watch? Lads, we have to help her. She's one of the only big shots in this town that actually treat us with any decency."
:ninja: "Why should we risk our necks for the crusaders?"
:devil: "Because Irabeth risked her neck for ours. She saved me from that creep Hulrun, yanked me straight outta his torture chamber. Only a worthless toerag would refuse to help her out after that."
:ninja: "Nah. Nuh-uh. I'm not listening to any more of this!" (The tiefling makes a show of covering his ears.) "You do what you want, I'm heading for the River Kingdoms!"
:devil: "Go on then! I'm going with the crusaders. And I'm going to round up the others to help." (The tiefling smirks.) "We've made some good money in the city — it'd be a shame to surrender our meal ticket to the demons! But enough yammering. So long!"

Irabeth did ask Yua to rescue friendly forces in the city, after all.

We saw Irabeth fight a couple of schirs in the Gray Garrison, but now Yua meets her first. They're generic goat-men with bardiches.

And then there's this house. Unless you're tricky, this encounter opens with the party eating a fireball.

Which is how most encounters with a brimorak go. They're spellcasters primarily, and really love fire magic.

The brimorak drops this. No prizes for guessing you can find the other pieces throughout Act 1.

There's also these fat worm demons! They spam negative damage spells.

Ember called it a 'nail bat.'

One last encounter for this update, there's a group of mongrels standing near the rift. This obviously plays out quite differently if you sided with Wenduag.

"So you made it! Good to see you all! How's old Sull doing? Still 'waiting and thinking'? Well, don't worry, he'll make his mind up soon. You won't be hanging about underground for much longer."
"What are you doing here?"
:hist101: (The young man turns to you. He has one healthy eye and a lumpy growth where the second should be.) "It's you! It's thanks to you that we made it to the surface to fight the demons. The Shield Maze fell, but Sull slowed everything down. He's an old man, he's afraid of everything, but we can't sit in the dark like root vegetables while big things are happening up above."
:rolleye: "We tried to follow you through the Shield Maze, we emerged into some kind of fortress but... there were too many demons there! Then we dug out another passage into the city. It took days, but we did it! We're ready to fight!"
"Well, you've made it out now, so do whatever you need to do."
"The young ones are holding up well. But will they be able to fight out in the open? Even I struggle with that." (Lann frowns.) "I hope we did the right thing."
:hist101: "We are the crusaders of the underground! We will fight like our forebears did!"

For once I agree with Lann, I have no idea if this affects anything or not.

But that's a good place to stop, I think. There's one more thing to do in Market Square beyond that house with the invisible demon in the basement, and it's going to be somewhat involved.

The Crimson Path (this update)

Abrikandilu 3
Brimorak 1
Cambion 1
Cultists 12
Dretches 3
Ghouls 6
Rat Swarms 3
Schirs 3
Vermleks 2

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 1, 2024

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Aww! I just adopted a sweet orange boy myself a couple weeks ago.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
IIRC, you don't need glitterdust or any such spell to do the cellar, simply using the light of heaven ability is enough to aggro the invisible demon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

constellations are a type of goatee. i will not explain

This makes a strange sort of sense.

New demons-

Nabassu- also known as Death Demons, these are gluttonous immature vrolikai. They can create ghouls and drain levels with touch attacks. Terminate with extreme prejudice when encountered.

Brimorak- pyromaniac demons that throw fire.

Vermlek- fat worm humanoids that have clubs and negative energy attacks.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

And we come to one of the reasons I play Dhampir in this game. Immunity to Negative Levels. Seriously I park my Sword Saint in front of something that deals Negative Energy damage or gives Negative Levels and just swing without worry.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Onward The Eyeless: Minagho And Lilitu

Not much to connect this secion of gameplay to the original AP, as practically everything in the Market is original to the game, crusaders and cat included. IIRC Tiger was actually the cat who owned either a backer or staff member at Owlcat, and who had passed away during development (the cat, not the human) :( And yes, the cat owns the person, not the other way around. I say this as the human of one.

But there is one personage which I had forgot to talk about the first time she came up, so might as well get to the very belated introduction of our favourite eyeless demoness, Minagho!

OG Minagho was a little more hardcore.

In the original AP, Minnie was more of a behind-the-scenes manipulator and strategist than the front and centre cast member she is in the game. Indeed, we don't even see her face-to-eyeless face until Book 4, and we're still in the weeds of Book One! That said, one of her demonic duties in the AP was similar to what we've seen her do so far, in that she was in charge of breaking down the Wardstones to prepare for the demmons' major push forward. I guess that like Deskari, Owlcat made her more visible just to give the players a more concrete picture of what they were actually facing.

A picture of a Lilitu from Pathfinder Bestiary 6, and the very obvious inspiration for Minagho's ingame look. Sorry for the bad cropping, by the way, but :effort:

Like succubi and incubi, lilitus concentrate on leading their victims into sin, though unlike 'cubi lilitus like to vary and tailor their sins to their victims. They use their shapechanging abilities (yep, they have those) and natural social skills to investigate said victims for leverage- in Staunton's case, it was simple love and/or a desire for companionship. One thing that is kind of unique to lilitu is that despite having a suite of powerful mind control spells at their disposal, they vastly prefer to have their victims sin of their own relatively free will. Sure, Minagho could have just cast Dominate Monster on Staunton to have him do what she wanted, but now he has to live with the guilt and public stigma of being ultimately responsible. Sadistic, to be true, but Minagho is sadistic even for lilitu demons.

Another lilitu. This one might have a bit of a grudge towards my girl Sarenrae.

One thing that does not feature in Wrath as far as I can see though, is that lilitu serving a specific demon lord tend to take on features common to that demon lord- those who serve Dagon have finlike structures instead of horns, those who serve Pazuzu, the King of Wind Demons might have non-functional wings etc. These have no mechanical effects, and as they work as mercenaries, Lilitu don't actually have any spiritual allegiance to their patrons; their altered forms are no different than uniforms or badges in that they show who the lilitu in question works for. Personally, I think it'd have been cool to give Minagho some additional cosmetic features and have them change over the course of the game to reflect the lilitus' mercenary natures, but that's just me, and the Killer Dress Demon Barbie™ look does suit her characterization in the game :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

Ember called it a 'nail bat.'

I won't lie, I used Toybox to enchant this up the wazoo and basically fought back the Abyss by beating demons with a +6 Axiomatic, Holy, Evil Outsider Slaying Stick Wot 'As Spiky Bits In :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cythereal posted:

"Hey, who are you and what are you doing here?"

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling looting is going on in here."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fat Samurai posted:

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling looting is going on in here."

Yeah, only chosen ones can loot! Do you have the light of the angels radiating from you? No? Well, you're lucky my buddy here vouches for you because otherwise you're just another random encounter.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Oh, and remember that shot Yua took at Deskari that seemed to actually wound the demon lord? This is only here if you do so. Yeah, I'm holding on to this.

So, fun fact without spoilers: These are used for Something(TM), and what they were used for, when the game came out you could initially miss the shot - or if it didn't miss, sometimes its Special Effect(TM) could fail to activate - and you only get so many shots. Patch 1.0.5g, then Patch 1.0.9c addressed the scripted effect so it always fired, and then update 2.0.7k finally made it so it couldn't miss. (Don't look up these patch notes if you want to remain unspoilered.) These patches came in at 20 days, 43 days, and 518 days after the Full Release, respectively - though, granted, the last one took so long to nail down because the failures only happened due to specific positionings, and those bugs are a bitch to nail down.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Can you send those mongrel crusaders to the tavern?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanthulhu posted:

Can you send those mongrel crusaders to the tavern?

You cannot. The alternative is to send them back down to the Shield Maze to prepare to attack the Gray Garrison.

Which both feels like a less than great idea, and it's a thing in a lot of sidequests in this game that often the right thing to do is trust people, show support, and not micromanage them.

IIRC there are three (but two of them are mutually exclusive) groups of reinforcements to rescue, and the thieflings were one of them. We'll meet the other two in the next update.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RelentlessImp posted:

So, fun fact without spoilers: These are used for Something(TM), and what they were used for, when the game came out you could initially miss the shot - or if it didn't miss, sometimes its Special Effect(TM) could fail to activate - and you only get so many shots. Patch 1.0.5g, then Patch 1.0.9c addressed the scripted effect so it always fired, and then update 2.0.7k finally made it so it couldn't miss. (Don't look up these patch notes if you want to remain unspoilered.) These patches came in at 20 days, 43 days, and 518 days after the Full Release, respectively - though, granted, the last one took so long to nail down because the failures only happened due to specific positionings, and those bugs are a bitch to nail down.

Look i've never played, but it's probably there for shooting Deskari in their big dumb demon face. I can guess this because of you know, shooting Deskari in the big dumb demon face before.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

You cannot. The alternative is to send them back down to the Shield Maze to prepare to attack the Gray Garrison.

Which both feels like a less than great idea, and it's a thing in a lot of sidequests in this game that often the right thing to do is trust people, show support, and not micromanage them.

IIRC there are three (but two of them are mutually exclusive) groups of reinforcements to rescue, and the thieflings were one of them. We'll meet the other two in the next update.

There are four potential reinforcement recruits in the Market Square (thieflings, mongrels, and the two mutually exclusive groups) plus one more in another important story area. You need to visit the area in question before the act time limit expires to get the latter group.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Any time Minagho appears, I take the "what happened to your faaaaace???" dialogue option.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Look i've never played, but it's probably there for shooting Deskari in their big dumb demon face. I can guess this because of you know, shooting Deskari in the big dumb demon face before.

"These are used for Something(TM)" means something in the future

so yeah don't look up the patch notes because spoilers

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Any time Minagho appears, I take the "what happened to your faaaaace???" dialogue option.

As shown artistically by Owlcat not giving her a face as a symbol of powerlessness and abuse, Minagho is truly the real victim in this story and the tragic heroine we should really be following. In this essay I will

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

As shown artistically by Owlcat not giving her a face as a symbol of powerlessness and abuse, Minagho is truly the real victim in this story and the tragic heroine we should really be following. In this essay I will

You joke, but it actually is possible to set Minagho on the path of redemption in this game if you're on a certain mythic path. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

biosterous posted:

"These are used for Something(TM)" means something in the future

so yeah don't look up the patch notes because spoilers

Let me rephrase, It is for shooting Deskari in the big dumb face AGAIN I assume you can just treat the demon lord like Smaug and shoot em up instead of actually fighting them by collecting a bunch of bonus bolts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Cythereal posted:

You joke, but it actually is possible to set Minagho on the path of redemption in this game if you're on a certain mythic path. :v:

Didn't know Minagho could be straightened out, but I remember doing it for several others so I'm not surprised