Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
We're servile dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pulling Ukraine Into NATO Will Destabilize The Entire Eastern European Region And Set Off A Global Shockwave Of Anti-Americanism vs. No It Won’t

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

i don't get why the UK has jumped deep into this poo poo with both feet

its so unforced and is just going to invoke years of blowback. I don't even know what the rules are anymore. Maybe thats why the Royal navy is getting rid of all its ships, to stop Russia blowing them up? Cunning.

Please refer to page 3294 and the following ones of this thread.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Starsfan posted:

Did you guys hear about this Olaf Scholz controversy?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/02/28/british-soldiers-help-ukraine-fire-missiles-olaf-scholz/

The article is of course pay-walled but I guess Scholz revealed that the UK and France have military personnel in Ukraine who are the ones firing the Scalp / Storm Shadow missiles which have been used to target Crimea and the Russian Black Sea Fleet. This came up because Scholz was being pressured domestically to release the German taurus missiles to Ukraine which he has been unwilling to do up to this point. He countered calls to give Ukraine the missiles by stating that Germany can not give the missiles to Ukraine because they would require the presence of German military personnel to fire - citing the example of the French and British with the storm shadows - which in his view would make Germany an active participant in the war in Ukraine.

This of course was not received very well in France and the UK.

I guess it's not surprising to anyone but just lol that the idea that NATO countries have inserted their military forces into Ukraine is treated as a tankie conspiracy theory and then Scholz just blurted it out. Moron.

They’re going to get us all, and me specifically, killed

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

its so unforced and is just going to invoke years of blowback. I don't even know what the rules are anymore. Maybe thats why the Royal navy is getting rid of all its ships, to stop Russia blowing them up? Cunning.

Well they did jump into Brexit in the same way so is it really surprising?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Europe is ready to go beyond proxy war to "wear down Russia" anyway, might as well send in their own troops without going through the NATO platform. At lease they are better trained soldiers than the 50 yo Ukrainian office workers conscripts.

The Poles already fought ugly war with the Bolsheviks during the founding of the Soviet in the land between Warsaw and Kyiv. Stalin didn't do too well IIRC.

What's the chance of the rest of the Europe pay Poland to enter the war themselves (explicitly not covered by article 5)?

Didn't see this news from earlier today, guess Putin answered my own question

https://x.com/GeneralMCNews/status/1763184387229675919?s=20

Macron came out the biggest loser in this episode.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Starsfan posted:

Did you guys hear about this Olaf Scholz controversy?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/02/28/british-soldiers-help-ukraine-fire-missiles-olaf-scholz/

The article is of course pay-walled but I guess Scholz revealed that the UK and France have military personnel in Ukraine who are the ones firing the Scalp / Storm Shadow missiles which have been used to target Crimea and the Russian Black Sea Fleet. This came up because Scholz was being pressured domestically to release the German taurus missiles to Ukraine which he has been unwilling to do up to this point. He countered calls to give Ukraine the missiles by stating that Germany can not give the missiles to Ukraine because they would require the presence of German military personnel to fire - citing the example of the French and British with the storm shadows - which in his view would make Germany an active participant in the war in Ukraine.

This of course was not received very well in France and the UK.

I guess it's not surprising to anyone but just lol that the idea that NATO countries have inserted their military forces into Ukraine is treated as a tankie conspiracy theory and then Scholz just blurted it out. Moron.

NATO is more united than it ever has been

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Think about how easy it would've been for NATO to sell the April 2022 peace agreement as a massive win for Ukraine. With expectations still basically at rock bottom, the story would've been that the Ukrainian state survived intact and Russia had completely failed.

And to an extent it's not even wrong, the 2022 deal that was on the table was Minsk 2 with some minor modifications.

Instead they sought the maximalist position and here we are

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

January 6 Survivor posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s9jwqtYXHS1a1i6yy.mp4

if anything, that war is going to justify shotguns for another 100 years

(hell yeah)

do they do skeet shooting in military training, and will they start after this war?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
the peace agreement in 2022 would not have required "selling" to be a win for ukraine, it simply would have been. 2nd largest army in the world stopped on most fronts and made to reverse all its territorial gains, in exchange for mostly symbolic concessions? woulda been a pretty big ukraine W in most books imo

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

Think about how easy it would've been for NATO to sell the April 2022 peace agreement as a massive win for Ukraine. With expectations still basically at rock bottom, the story would've been that the Ukrainian state survived intact and Russia had completely failed.

And to an extent it's not even wrong, the 2022 deal that was on the table was Minsk 2 with some minor modifications.

Minsk 2 + some modification (and actual implementation) was probably the goal of Russia on day 1 of this stupid reddit-rear end war. Once this all went to poo poo thanks to Boris Johnson, ten the goal likely shifted because Russia will want something for the "trouble" of having gone through mobilization and each week more than likely make the price heavier for Ukraine now.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

OctaMurk posted:

the peace agreement in 2022 would not have required "selling" to be a win for ukraine, it simply would have been. 2nd largest army in the world stopped on most fronts and made to reverse all its territorial gains, in exchange for mostly symbolic concessions? woulda been a pretty big ukraine W in most books imo

That would be the reddit perspective, and I agree the public would love it, but Russia wanted to bring Ukraine to the table through a token military force, not conquer the country.

Every Ukrainian life lost from the first shot was fired was arguably wasted since the issue should have never been pressed to the point of war to begin with. More than that, every life lost after peace talks were offered - was, is, will be, in vain.

Georgia figured this out after 200 guys.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

supersnowman posted:

Well they did jump into Brexit in the same way so is it really surprising?

oh but i know the answer to that one, country is just filled with ancient miserable fucks that want everyone to be as miserable as they are with their dumb gently caress lead brains and chronic lack of iodine or whatever can explain this nightmare country. But this time the British public weren't even involved. So this was a decision of the upper classes alone and they were like "yeah i think getting into a forever war with Russia will really help the markets".

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That would be the reddit perspective, and I agree the public would love it, but Russia wanted to bring Ukraine to the table through a token military force, not conquer the country.

Every Ukrainian life lost from the first shot was fired was arguably wasted since the issue should have never been pressed to the point of war to begin with. More than that, every life lost after peace talks were offered - was, is, will be, in vain.

Georgia figured this out after 200 guys.

There's a reason the west focused on ideologically hardening Ukraine, it was to prevent exactly this outcome. The Georgian war was a disaster from a NATO perspective.

euphronius posted:

Unless your goal is totally organizing society around buttressing the will to fight why is this analysis necessary or relevant

It doesn't have to be your own society.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Feb 29, 2024

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: Remember that Bandera and his guys tagged along with the Wehrmacht into a part of the country they had never been before and were called “Poles” by the locals (which naturally infuriated them).

Lmao

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah this is the biggest tragedy of it all, the Nationalists got everything they wanted and have destroyed their country and its people in the process.

If ukraine cannot spread across the globe in glorious conquest, better to die fighting the fight than to continue living, you hate to see it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's going to be very funny when everything the west learns from this war is all the wrong lessons.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Europe is ready to go beyond proxy war to "wear down Russia" anyway, might as well send in their own troops without going through the NATO platform. At lease they are better trained soldiers than the 50 yo Ukrainian office workers conscripts.

The Poles already fought ugly war with the Bolsheviks during the founding of the Soviet in the land between Warsaw and Kyiv. Stalin didn't do too well IIRC.

What's the chance of the rest of the Europe pay Poland to enter the war themselves (explicitly not covered by article 5)?

At no point, not now, nor ever during the cold war, was europeon defense going to be anything more than a temporary speedbumb that would buy america time to strike back. Europe being rubble is acceptable cost for our goals.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

It rules that one guy made this amazing graph and nobody has been able to approach it since as far as the density of information it intuitively conveys

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's going to be very funny when everything the west learns from this war is all the wrong lessons.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Europe being rubble is acceptable cost for our goals.

CSPAM and America in complete agreement at last.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

my bony fealty posted:

In addition to all the great posts cited here already, it's really worth spending some time looking at the way people talk about this war and what they place importance on. It's reflective of how incapable neoliberalism is of fighting it, of how Ukraine can't win, and how Westerners have been so heavily propagandized they can't see the forest for the trees.

Pro-Ukranian posting is focused on how Putin is evil, Ukraine must win because of the threat Russia poses to Europe, how the Ukranians will win with their superior training and badass Operator soldiers and NATO equipment over the backwards orcs who can't tie their boots. Each individual incident of "Ukraine blew up some boats" or "a Russian aircraft was downed" is celebrated as a great victory - this is a feedback loop with the instant availability of combat footage, like holy poo poo did you see that video of 1000 vatniks being misted, Ukraine ftw fellas!! becoming in the mind of the observer the marker of how the war is going. Meanwhile any isolated incidents that make Ukraine look bad, like when they killed a bunch of their own POWs, are quickly turned into memes/jokes.

Important tangent about this for thread lurkers- the material conditions for the working classes would likely improve with friendly Russian and Chinese relations. Instead, they are slowly immiserated. Sweden's public didn't even get a chance to vote about joining NATO. All the important choices are made for them by the ruling class, which are really the only people benefiting from American hegemony. Swedish labor has much more to gain increasing trade with its direct neighbor (whom it shares common history and blood) than a decaying empire across the ocean, but it cannot be allowed.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BULBASAUR posted:

Important tangent about this for thread lurkers- the material conditions for the working classes would likely improve with friendly Russian and Chinese relations. Instead, they are slowly immiserated. Sweden's public didn't even get a chance to vote about joining NATO. All the important choices are made for them by the ruling class, which are really the only people benefiting from American hegemony. Swedish labor has much more to gain increasing trade with its direct neighbor (whom it shares common history and blood) than a decaying empire across the ocean, but it cannot be allowed.

Did you see that book I found that shows that Sweden abandoning neutrality is 1:1 the result of neoliberalism defeating social democracy in Sweden?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

VoicesCanBe posted:

With a Russia that's actually mobilized, with an experienced army, a revitalized military industrial sector, holding a grudge against the West and firmly in bed with China.

Truly a foreign policy success story.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Freezer posted:

With a Russia that's actually mobilized, with an experienced army, a revitalized military industrial sector, holding a grudge against the West and firmly in bed with China.

Yeah but the narrative will be that this was a triumph, whatever happens.

Since narrative is all that maters, "Humiliating Russia" in Winter War 2.0 will glue NATO and the EU together, at least in public support, for a while.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ofc the rand corp literally have a dial which says racism on it, probably with some crazy modifiers like 10% infantry ability if 1% more nazi

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Jel Shaker posted:

ofc the rand corp literally have a dial which says racism on it, probably with some crazy modifiers like 10% infantry ability if 1% more nazi

I would like to see what RAND thinks the racism modifiers are and compare them to the racism modifiers used in modern HOI4 mods.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I would absolutely crush RAND theorists in Wargame Red Dragon and I challenge them to battle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1762843849611952136?t=5T9KeVjiXpGR8LiOnVv8hg&s=19

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If there is one takeaway for liberals, please, I implore you, triumphalism because Russia has a smaller GDP than whatever, does not actually mean anything. Canada's economy is smaller than NVIDEA's market cap, as of this week. drat, that's crazy. Anyway, how can NVIDEA make LAVs? Oh, well, more money = buy more things. Okay, but someone still needs to make the things.

Russia is able to make more things, and pay less for them.

To be fair to NVIDEA, can Canada even make LAVs anymore?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Freezer posted:

For America at least, it was probably worth it in the short term. They're directly benefitng from Europe deindustrializing.

For Europe? Lol. Lmao.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Delusions of grandeur. UK politicians still think they have clout on the international stage - and maybe they do. But its pretty fast becoming apparent they can't do poo poo anymore, and even their nuclear deterrent isn't really deterring much given it failed in its last test.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Putin ftw

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VoicesCanBe posted:

For America at least, it was probably worth it in the short term. They're directly benefitng from Europe deindustrializing.

For Europe? Lol. Lmao.

The European leadership gets a pat on the head from master and continued invites to the exclusive Kool Kids Klub diplomatic dinner parties where they all do nose flour in the bathroom. So to them it's very worth it.

The peasantry? It's exactly as you say.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

turning a big dial taht says "Facism" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

So uh, you tell me, does this look like they built a model for blood and soil nationalism? (Hilariously, a wheel, or rad, based one)

Can you quantify the "will to fight"? Are there factories that produce this? How many kilos of will to fight can a single plant produce in a month?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

They want to pretend they're still a big boy empire and Britannia Rules the Waves (no ships tho)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I wish they would fast forward to the April 25 1974 story where the military realizes they're being run by a bunch of idiots and they get over not being an empire anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

Can you quantify the "will to fight"? Are there factories that produce this? How many kilos of will to fight can a single plant produce in a month?

it bears noting that the reason why the French adopted the theory of elan and the headstrong offensive was that they didn't have the werewithal to train their army as hard as Imperial Germany did. Tactics were simplified in order to make it easy for the men to follow along, because they couldn't be expected to carry out complex maneuvers or operate many different types of weapons after having been mobilized on the quick (or at least, that was the theory). It was still ultimately a policy rooted in material reality.

to apply such notions of "will to fight" because one genuinely believes that it's a critical factor in warmaking, by itself, is, well, bonkers