Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

Instead of ceasefire talks, Putin may reunite the Palestinians (politically) which would be (I think ) a major blow to American/Israeli policy ?

this does not even make sense Euphornymous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

I think it's also really important to situate this conflict as being basically like every other colonial conflict. Israel is Rhodesia is South Vietnam is Algeria is Northern Ireland is El Salvador (and hell, it's basically the same as the American genocide of the natives). Israel is not a unique country in any way except that its marginally more palatable to liberals (and, in theory, for understandable reasons, even if they all turn out to be bullshit in practice)

The parallels to South Africa in the 80s and apartheid is pretty similar except South Africa was far less a popular country amongst some of the ruling class. Certainly less important.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
i keep seeing the English pronunciation for "Hague" is "HAYG"/rhymes with "vague," even though the dutch Den Haag is more like "hack" but with a glottal affricate(?) for the last phoneme. i dunno how that came to be, but it seems a shame, if only because for a long time i thought it was pronounced like "hog," and therefore, e.g., "Biden and Netanyahu should be Hague-tried" would be a fun play on that.

but alas.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

my dad posted:

That behavior is just settlers 101, tbh. Fascists mostly just copied it.

It really is. In fact a better example might be America, the US had tons of protests against the government for not letting them kill Indians and settle on their lands. The UK not letting Americans do so was a large part of what caused the American Revolution.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

my dad posted:

they're really bad at it too. colonialism works best as a slow burn, boiling the oppressed over generations rather than stochastic violence.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

my dad posted:

Yeah. Andrew Jackson and the Cherokee comes to mind.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mdemone posted:

this does not even make sense Euphornymous

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1762843849611952136

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BearsBearsBears posted:

It really is. In fact a better example might be America, the US had tons of protests against the government for not letting them kill Indians and settle on their lands. The UK not letting Americans do so was a large part of what caused the American Revolution.

Yep.

Though there was also protest against the US government when it came to expansion into Texas, Florida and Louisiana, where illegal settlers clashed with authorities on both sides of the border

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

BearsBearsBears posted:

The first example that comes to find for me is the Freikorps of Wiemar Germany. Violent paramilitary groups that thought the government wasn't cracking down on communists (and associated groups) hard enough. Don't know much about rallies performed by them or in support of them.

The thing is that the Freikorps were actively committing the crimes they felt the state was failing to do, and were then effectively deputized to act on the state's behalf. There are tons of examples of this in recent history (unfortunately), where groups like disaffected and reactionary veterans, local criminals, and so forth get the state's permission to act as an obscene supplement to the "official" law. Then there are the explicitly disavowed groups with a more radically reactionary variation of the state's practices, who carry out terrorist actions in support of what horrors the state's committing in pursuit of the when they don't necessarily have a good relationship with the state (the French OAS, the American KKK, and so on). In both cases, the "demand" was basically considered too obscene to publicly support, so a militant and, most importantly, covert supplement became necessary.

What feels unique to me about the settlers is that their open and brazen demand that the state do their violent terrorism on their behalf, and actively attack the genocidal war machine itself for not being sufficiently quick and brutal, while basically wanting to remain personally uninvolved in the process. This is the sort of thing that might exist as an individual crank or fringe fascist newsletter sounding off, but in Israel it represents one of the country's most influential political currents and seemingly the core of actual on-the-street political action. There's some sort of bizarre cultural pathology here that I can't really think of an equivalent anywhere else. The closest I can reckon are American anti-communist groups like the Birchers, in that they were basically drawn from the national bourgeoisie and wanted to direct the police/military against their enemies, but even there things were at least coded, and they identified the problem as communist infiltration of the leadership, rather than a lack of sufficient enthusiasm for killing among the rank-and-file soldier.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Israeli response to Jewish extremism and violence

"Ami Pedahzur looks at the theoretical issue of how a democracy can defend itself from those wishing to subvert or destroy it without being required to take measures that would impinge upon the basic principles of the democratic idea, with a case study of the Israeli response to Jewish extremism."

e: Naomi Klein identified the dynamic here, but the Israeli state relies on "out of control" settlers/extremists to present fait accompli of things they want to do but can't be seen doing. They do the state's dirty work, the state acts like it's helpless and throws up its hands, but then they protect those settlers and extremists.

Unlike other Apartheid states, Israel needs to launder its image for international audiences, hasbara, and so having this degree of plausible deniability allows Israel's image to remain intact. So they always have a degree of plausible deniability, are one step removed from the worst of the actions, can act shocked and horrified when someone shoots up the Cave of the Patriarchs massacre, while still later pointing Ben Gavir to cabinet.

Thank you so much for this! This really helped get me closer to making sense of this phenomenon, which does legitimately seem unique to Israel in modern history. If I'm working this out correctly, the effect is something like: foster an "opposition" that loudly and explicitly proposes the amplification of what you're already doing but denying, so as to create the impression that you're not engaged in your crimes and to offer cover if you're found out. All the while, it allows you to creep further beyond the pale under the cover of compromise.

I guess the thing that I'm having so much trouble with is the sheer depravity that this requires. It's asking a society to thoroughly drat itself for the sake of fairly marginal political expediency. The degree to which this is a controlled, or even heavily influenced, process is actually I guess just inconceivable to me in its monstrousness. If it formed organically, it speaks to the social substance of Israel having become monstrous to a degree that I honestly don't think has been seen anywhere else, at least not sustained on the level of everyday life. It's like having the mass gatherings around lynchings in the Jim Crow South as the normal state of everyday life. Sustaining that level of hatred and sadistic enjoyment doesn't seem possible to me without it eating away at a society's basic ability to function, and yet here we are.

Edit: The comparison up-thread to American settlers does strike a note for me: did we see Americans in already ethnically-cleansed territories politically attack the US Army for failing to expel the natives efficiently enough, or anything like that? This is an area of history I'm admittedly a lot less familiar with, but it seems like it's the most likely candidate for a point of comparison here.

The Easy Rider has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Mar 1, 2024

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

I think this is a really important thread in terms of getting out the news of what is happening in Gaza, covering Israel's ongoing crimes, promoting activism, etc., particularly when the media in many countries is, to put it politely, not doing a great job of covering these events. So posts like these, above, can be really damaging and give exactly the wrong sort of people an argument to shut down discussion here. Please be thoughtful when you decide which sources you decide to share here. If the person tweeting is a Nazi please, please find a different loving source. Thank you.

good!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/gs2k6y?update=2741119

quote:

Oxfam says US policies contributing to risk of famine in Gaza

Oxfam has said that the group is opposed to potential US plans to airdrop packages of food into Gaza, saying that such efforts cannot cancel out US policies that have contributed to extreme hunger throughout Gaza.

“Oxfam does not support US airdrops to Gaza, which would mostly serve to relieve the guilty consciences of senior US officials whose policies are contributing to the ongoing atrocities and risk of famine in Gaza,” Scott Paul, who conducts humanitarian policy at Oxfam America, said in a statement.

“While Palestinians in Gaza have been pushed to the absolute brink, dropping a paltry, symbolic amount of aid into Gaza with no plan for its safe distribution would not help and be deeply degrading to Palestinians. Instead of indiscriminate airdrops in Gaza, the US should cut the flow of weapons to Israel that are used in indiscriminate attacks.”

Plans to airdrop aid are an open acknowledgement that not enough aid is getting in, but rather than do anything to force the issue the Biden administration is just planning on airdropping a bit of aid and calling it a day

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Mar 1, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ireallyhateyou/status/1763221846387032280?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BearsBearsBears posted:

literally fighting a war for the right to live in ohio is so hosed up

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I would like to come home from work to good news about the dissolution of the demon colonial state of israel and the formation of new greater palestine yet I come home to news about people getting gunned down by nazis while they're waiting for food dispersions

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Maybe the wrong thread, but can anybody recommend a book on how apartheid came and went in South Africa or Rhodesia? tia

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://aje.io/gs2k6y?update=2741119

Plans to airdrop aid are an open acknowledgement that not enough aid is getting in, but rather than do anything to force the issue the Biden administration is just planning on airdropping a bit of aid and calling it a day

even oxfam calls them out on their garbage

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1763315493719457881?s=20

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

The Easy Rider posted:

I guess the thing that I'm having so much trouble with is the sheer depravity that this requires. It's asking a society to thoroughly drat itself for the sake of fairly marginal political expediency. The degree to which this is a controlled, or even heavily influenced, process is actually I guess just inconceivable to me in its monstrousness.

I think in Israel’s case, speaking of depravity, you have to consider that they’re backed, full stop, by the hegemon.

and not merely in terms of military support, but also in that there is no level of depravity and evil to which the IDF can sink that western cultural hegemony cannot contort itself into absolving, as needed for “the narrative”, via its various media and social instruments.

obviously there are some seriously perverse incentives and general fuckedupedness involved, when such a situation persists over many years and is institutionalized.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

welp. there will be no excuses for the terror i guess

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the genocide joe administration justifies their maximalist negotiating position of demanding hamas offer a delayed surrender ("temporary ceasefire" where you give up all your leverage and then we threaten to restart the genocide if you don't leave the strip and let our guys take over unbothered) by saying that any scenario where hamas remains in the strip means "they don't have to pay any price" for oct 7. i want someone with access to the press pool to ask whether this means we are fully prepared to tell the rest of the world we think israel shouldn't have to pay any price for any of the things they've done since then (or before) that the rest of the world finds objectionable

e:

from the chotiner-kirby interview posted:

How would you describe what the Administration’s policy is with Gaza and Israel at this point?

Right now, the focus is very much on getting a pause in place, an extended pause for six weeks or so, so that we can get all the remaining hostages back with their families, so that we can get a significant reduction in the violence and, therefore, the concomitant reduction in civilian casualties. And to allow us breathing space to increase the flow of humanitarian assistance into Gaza. Our focus is very much on trying to get this new pause in place for all those three purposes, and that’s what everybody’s working very hard on.

Now, from a strategic perspective, we want to see that Israel is able to defend itself and that Hamas is no longer in charge of Gaza. We want to see a post-conflict Gaza that the Palestinian people have a vote and a voice in. We believe the best way to do that is through a revitalized Palestinian Authority, and we’ve already talked to President Abbas about that. We don’t want to see Gaza occupied, we don’t want to see any of Gaza’s territory reduced, and we don’t want to see any forced displacement of the Palestinian people.

The President made clear on Monday that he’s hoping to get a ceasefire in place. You were at the podium last month, and you said, “We don’t believe a ceasefire is going to be the benefit of anybody but Hamas.” What’s changed?

Nothing’s changed. We still don’t support a general ceasefire that would leave Hamas in charge. What we do support is a temporary ceasefire, to get these hostages out and get the aid in.

Hasn’t the White House said that they want to extend the temporary ceasefire?

It is possible, and we’re hopeful that if this temporary ceasefire is abided to by both sides, that we might be able to extend it and see if it can’t lead to a general cessation of hostilities, but our focus is on this temporary ceasefire right now.

I guess my confusion is: if the hope is to extend a temporary cessation of hostilities into more of a longer-range ceasefire, but a ceasefire only benefits Hamas, I’m a little unclear on what the policy is.

If a temporary ceasefire can hold for six weeks or so, we think it’s possible that it might be extended, with a view toward seeing if there’s a way to end this conflict. That’s not the same as saying we’ve changed our mind on a general ceasefire. We want to see the conflict end. We think that a temporary ceasefire can be useful for all the three purposes I gave you, and maybe, potentially, extended even further so that we can get to an end of the conflict.

I understand that. That’s why I’ve been slightly unclear on the idea that a ceasefire just benefits Hamas, because it seems like you’re hoping that the ceasefire could lead to the end of the conflict.

What we’ve said, Isaac, is calling for a general ceasefire right now, with no preconditions, benefits Hamas and leaves them in charge, and they don’t have to pay any price for what they did on October 7th. They wouldn’t have to release any hostages. They wouldn’t have to let any aid in. They’d still be left in charge of Gaza. That’s what we’re saying we don’t support.
don't know if chotiner is play dumb not drawing out this inference that we are saying the famine-massacre continues until they offer delayed surrender

this allusion meant has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Mar 1, 2024

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1762975717459980490

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

classic bit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
"Jewish Comedian" and "Adam Friedland" are pretty superfluous.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yeah but then like a loving moron he went on Jordan Jensen's pod and made fun of people for caring about Palestine, went full Cool Adam.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont get him talking about podcasters if you dont want him to get banned again.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol. lmao.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yeah but then like a loving moron he went on Jordan Jensen's pod and made fun of people for caring about Palestine, went full Cool Adam.

he's still a rich guy

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

mcmagic posted:

"Jewish Comedian" and "Adam Friedland" are pretty superfluous.

hold up, he's a comedian?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

hold up, he's a comedian?

He's a bug that eats dust

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Seyser Koze posted:

Maybe the wrong thread, but can anybody recommend a book on how apartheid came and went in South Africa or Rhodesia? tia

no book, but they discuss that very topic in this very in-depth podcast.

crepeface posted:

listened to the entirety of the 3.5 hr podcast that talks about the similarities with palestine and the history of south african apartheid and the combo of resistance techniques that managed to overturn it (including their own version of BDS!) and how reparations and justice got co-opted at the end

quote:

In this Rev Left Family Annual Collab (Rev Left+Red Menace+Guerrilla History), Alyson, Henry, Adnan, and Breht sit down for a deep dive on South African Apartheid. Together they discuss its euro-colonialist origins, explain the significance of the Boer Wars, define and explicate the origins of apartheid, explore the political economy of apartheid and how brutal racism shaped it, examine the multi-faceted indigenous resistance to apartheid, analyze the end of formal apartheid as well as its ongoing legacy in post-apartheid South Africa, and try to extract important lessons from this history to apply to the ongoing struggle in Palestine.

https://twitter.com/guerrilla_pod/status/1735734604177260824?s=20
one of the hosts co-translated losurdo's stalin book.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
just noticed that the phrase "Genocide Joe" appears in two places on whitehouse.gov, via transcripts

quote:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Genocide Joe, how many kids have you killed in Gaza?

AUDIENCE: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

AUDIENCE MEMBER: (Inaudible.)

AUDIENCE: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Thank you. (Applause.)

kudos to that protester

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aeolius posted:

just noticed that the phrase "Genocide Joe" appears in two places on whitehouse.gov, via transcripts

kudos to that protester

four more years of genocide.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

lol. lmao.

Also they passed a temp funding bill but this is like the 4th "We might not be funded next week guys" chat from our supervisor in a few months.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Diet Crack posted:

Uh, tell that to the Uyghurs. China is not the bastion of roundabout diplomacy you're claiming it to be.

Inb4 "but the US said it wasn't!" Please follow your own post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

This is essentially genocide

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1763432319409418730

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

this allusion meant posted:

the genocide joe administration justifies their maximalist negotiating position of demanding hamas offer a delayed surrender ("temporary ceasefire" where you give up all your leverage and then we threaten to restart the genocide if you don't leave the strip and let our guys take over unbothered) by saying that any scenario where hamas remains in the strip means "they don't have to pay any price" for oct 7. i want someone with access to the press pool to ask whether this means we are fully prepared to tell the rest of the world we think israel shouldn't have to pay any price for any of the things they've done since then (or before) that the rest of the world finds objectionable

e:

don't know if chotiner is play dumb not drawing out this inference that we are saying the famine-massacre continues until they offer delayed surrender

this thing where they just keep assuming that their enemies will voluntarily destroy themselves will never stop being funny. the mythmaking about the cold war and the end of history has really cooked a lot of brains I guess.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Al! posted:

welp. there will be no excuses for the terror i guess

yep. every single israeli will pay.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

hailthefish posted:

this thing where they just keep assuming that their enemies will voluntarily destroy themselves will never stop being funny. the mythmaking about the cold war and the end of history has really cooked a lot of brains I guess.

The righteous starving Palestinians must rise up and overthrow Hamas. Just after they eat their share of dry weeds and boiled leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/6b1i2q?update=2741509

quote:

Israeli body count claims means Palestinian fighters likely remain in sizeable numbers

Israeli military claims that it has killed more than 13,000 Palestinian fighters in Gaza since the start of its ground invasion likely still leaves Palestinian armed groups with a sizeable force as Hamas alone had 40,000 fighters before the latest war began in October, war monitors said.

US-based think thanks Institute for the Study of War (ISW) and the Critical Threats Project (CTP) also said the battle for the Zeitoun area of Gaza City continues, and video footage released by Palestinian Islamic Jihad on Thursday showed its fighters “detonating a house-borne improvised explosive device” (HBIED).

Hamas fighters also reported that they had detonated an HBIED and “two explosive-rigged tunnels targeting Israeli forces”, the ISW and CTP said in their latest battlefield report.

The Popular Resistance Committees, one of the more than five armed groups fighting Israeli forces in Gaza, said it fired rockets on Thursday towards southern Israel, according to the ISW/CTP report.

The definitely exaggerated Israeli body count has them having killed 1/4 of Hamas fighters